Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Luck returning to Stanford

skinsfanindallas88

Additional tidbit i heard on the radio (i can't comment on the accuracy of this): The Architecture Design program isn't even accredited at Stanford like it is at many other public and state universities. An architect called sports radio today and brought that up.

I just got back from south beach and watched him rip apart our secondary.

He is the real deal, not only with his physical skills but as a leader and someone who to his credit never gets rattled (even though we were getting good pressure in the 1st half on him)

I am willing to suffer 2-14 if we get him

Andrew Luck's father, Oliver, insists the Stanford redshirt sophomore's decision to stay in school was mostly about a desire to have "at least one more year with his guys."

"It's kind of old-school, I know, but he went to college with the idea of not leaving until he got a degree," said Oliver Luck, West Virginia's A.D. He also stressed that the decision had "absolutely nothing to do" with the Panthers picking No. 1 overall or the labor uncertainty. "Those external factors were just not that important to him," Oliver said. "He wanted to go back to Stanford." If Jimmy Clausen gets another year at quarterback, the Panthers will have a strong chance to select Luck at No. 1 in 2012.

Source: Charlotte Observer's Scott Fowler Blog

Andrew Luck's father, Oliver, insists the Stanford redshirt sophomore's decision to stay in school was mostly about a desire to have "at least one more year with his guys."

"It's kind of old-school, I know, but he went to college with the idea of not leaving until he got a degree," said Oliver Luck, West Virginia's A.D. He also stressed that the decision had "absolutely nothing to do" with the Panthers picking No. 1 overall or the labor uncertainty. "Those external factors were just not that important to him," Oliver said. "He wanted to go back to Stanford." If Jimmy Clausen gets another year at quarterback, the Panthers will have a strong chance to select Luck at No. 1 in 2012.

Source: Charlotte Observer's Scott Fowler Blog

Man I thought the father said that about Clausen lol. Had to check for the quotation mark :ols:

I know money is not everything, but if me, or anybody I knew, were a consensus top 5-10 pick, I will always tell them to come out.

First of all, I think a lot of people are really misunderstanding LKB.

Second, Luck better live up to his name, because a rookie pay scale will likely cost him tens of millions.

That pay-scale will be in place for THIS draft...so he's not going to miss out either way.

No, trade McNabb + Skins 2011 first-round pick to Carolina, for Carolina's 2012 pick.

Start Grossman in 2011, draft Luck with Carolina's pick in 2012.

No team expects to be the worst team in the NFL, two seasons in advance. Bet on the right team, the top pick can come cheap.

Horrible trade on the face of it. Any team's #1 this year is worth more than any team's #1 the year after.

Are you THAT SURE that Luck will be our savior if he comes out next year? Are you THAT SURE that Carolina's #1 next year will be #1 overall?

That pay-scale will be in place for THIS draft...so he's not going to miss out either way.

Huh? If there isn't a new CBA before the draft, why would a pay scale apply retroactively if an agreement is finally hammered out in, say, September?

Huh? If there isn't a new CBA before the draft, why would a pay scale apply retroactively if an agreement is finally hammered out in, say, September?

I think the CBA expires before the draft so while they plan on holding the draft, no team will sign their picks until it is hammered out.

This. Plus...maybe he really enjoys architecture? That's a possibility, right?

Or he may even value his collegiate teammates, a shot to win a national championship and his time in college. Who knows, who cares?

I think you and I would both agree that it's his decision to make, and he made it. Good for him. No one should be knocking a kid's decision to stay in college. And let's not forget that a lot of the underclassmen who do enter the draft need money desperately. I try not to judge people for entering early/not entering early anymore. It's their right to choose. So let them. :)

I think the CBA expires before the draft so while they plan on holding the draft, no team will sign their picks until it is hammered out.

That was my understanding as well. If they get locked out, nobody's gonna be doing anything contract-wse, and they're just going to have to sit on their picks until it's resolved. Even if they didn't have to, I would think they'd want to. Why pay $50mil when you can wait and pay half that.

---------- Post added January-7th-2011 at 08:31 AM ----------

This. Plus...maybe he really enjoys architecture? That's a possibility, right?

But what does going pro have to do with hindering one's enjoyment of architecture? They don't have architecture opportunities outside of Palo Alto?

Also, he might not think he's mature enough for the pros yet. I know if some news organization were to offer me millions (:ols:) to work with them, I'd probably have to turn them down, too. Not because I wouldn't love the money or because it isn't a dream of mine, but becuase I don't believe I'd be ready for the big leagues. I'm not mentally or emotionally ready to work as a professional journalist yet, especially for a major organization.

And yes, of course there are architecture opportunities outside of Palo Alto; but maybe the man LIKES Stanford. A lot of people feel a great deal of loyalty towards their university. People don't call their school's "alma mater" (which means fostering mother) for kicks. It becomes a part of you, something that defines you, and maybe for Luck, that's a part of himself that he likes and isn't ready to let go of yet.

The point is, he made a decision and he made it for a reason. Whatever that reason is, is his business. He's a man and he can do whatever he damn well pleases with his life without everyone (including the folks on this board) putting in their two cents.

Also, he might not think he's mature enough for the pros yet. I know if some news organization were to offer me millions (:ols:) to work with them, I'd probably have to turn them down, too. Not because I wouldn't love the money or because it isn't a dream of mine, but becuase I don't believe I'd be ready for the big leagues. I'm not mentally or emotionally ready to work as a professional journalist yet, especially for a major organization.

And yes, of course there are architecture opportunities outside of Palo Alto; but maybe the man LIKES Stanford. A lot of people feel a great deal of loyalty towards their university. People don't call their school's "alma mater" (which means fostering mother) for kicks. It becomes a part of you, something that defines you, and maybe for Luck, that's a part of himself that he likes and isn't ready to let go of yet.

The point is, he made a decision and he made it for a reason. Whatever that reason is, is his business. He's a man and he can do whatever he damn well pleases with his life without everyone (including the folks on this board) putting in their two cents.

This board exists for the sole purpose of putting in one's two cents on such things. Something being his business doesn't preclude anyone from having an opinion and sharing it.

I don't personally understand why Luck wants to go back. How do you walk away from 30-50 million (depending on rookie wage scale rules)? I'd tell Stanford to take their degree and shove it. But that's me. I don't think he's doing the right thing going back to Stanford.

HOWEVER!!! If he's truly committed to getting a degree, then I can understand (somewhat). He's majoring in Architectural Engineering. I happen to have a degree in Architectural Engineering myself. Many players who leave early have majors (Criminal Justice, Communications, etc.) that will allow them to finish those degrees after football relatively easily. They can just enroll again and pick up where they left off. Engineering is a different animal. You can't just enroll again 10 years later and pick up where you left off. There's too much. WAY too much. You don't just put down your Calculus Books, Fluid Mechanics Books, Thermodynamics Books, etc. and pick them up 10 years later. Certainly not if you've been concentrating on Football for a decade and not even thinking about engineering. You'd have to relearn all that stuff. It'd be a complete pain in the butt. So don't think that this reality doesn't factor into Luck's thinking, if he really wants that degree.

Again, I completely disagree with his decision but I do have first hand knowledge of his academic workload. It's not easy. If I were him, though, I'd take my Fluid Mechanics Book and throw it our the window of the helicopter I was riding on my way to sign my fat new 50 million dollar contract.

Sounds like a bad move to me. He can still take college classes and play the NFL.

He'll never get the deal next year, that he'd get this year, unless all of the above happen:

1. No lockout.

2. No rookie cap.

3. He finishes next year as the #1 pick. Look at Lienart and Locker to see what the odds on that are. And his head coach is gone.

Sure his family is rich, but we're talking tens of millions that he's losing!

Archived