Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Luck returning to Stanford

skinsfanindallas88

You can lose your job at any moment, no matter the job/fame, but they will never take away your education.

I always feel like this sort of thing is said by someone who went to community college.

Here's the thing, guys. You don't go to Stanford or an Ivy League School or Georgetown for "the education." I read Shakespeare at Princeton. It was the same Shakespeare I read in high school. The pre-med students at Stanford study from the same textbooks as the pre-med students at WVU.

You go to a school like that for the experience of going to a school like that - being around the brilliant people your age, having off-the-cuff conversations with Cornel West after class, talking to Paul Muldoon about Warren Zevon, having Johnny Apple from the New York Times cuss at you on the phone, attending a lecture by Antonin Scalia, hooking up with a junior from Lawrenceville Prep in the basement of Cottage Club, having access to actual Picasso when writing a paper on Picasso, having access to an actual Guttenberg Bible when writing about The Guttenberg Bible, having caviar with alums, getting the diploma, having Bill Clinton speak at Graduation.....that sort of thing.

And you go there for the access it provides you later. The Alumni network. The power of the name on the resume.

It's not like Andrew Luck is going to be dumber because he left Stanford a semester short of graduation. Knowing him and his family, he almost certainly would complete the degree before his second year in the NFL. And it's not like he is in training to be anything other than an NFL QB. My guess is, he is never going to design a building. At the end of his playing career if he wants to enter the real workforce, he will either end up in law like his dad, enter politics, or be a rainmaker for some large architecture firm.

You guys are trying to turn this into a "Scholarship Player from the projects promised his grandma that he would be the first in his family to get a college degree" type of story. Luck's emotional and intellectual life goes on whether he stays in school or not. His life is much bigger than just "Go to school for four years to get a degree."

I think it's a lazy choice, and it worries me about him. It reminds me too much of Matt Leinart. He stayed in school, because it was easy. I assumed Luck would enter the NFL because I thought he was that kind of competitor.

Fitzgerald wrote, "The rich are different from the rest of us." Those education at elite schools are as well. Actually, it's even changed in the 15 years since I graduated. The elite high schoolers now are more ****sure than my classmates when we graduated. I interview high school seniors. And the utter casualness of the process is disconcerting. I was desperate to get into an elite school. Because I was poor. The kids I interview can be rich or poor and they all have the same calm, "I am going to go to somewhere great for school....I will then go to somewhere better for grad school...and then I shall run by own engineering firm and train for triathelons in my spare time" attitude. I have to imagine Luck has that same manner.

And now I'm worried about him, because you can't be that casual about the NFL. James Harrison is there. And he will decapitate you in order to make his paycheck if he has to.

Well you have to wonder what impact this will have on Newton,

Mallet ?

Do they declare in hopes they have a shot to move higher?

Or do they wait till next year in hoping that they can improve their stock even more ?

So right now, there is only Gabbert , Ponder and Locker.

Is Pat Devlin a senior this year?

If so, then his payday just got better.

Skin'em, you seriously AVERAGED 2 hours of sleep per night during your graduate coursework? That's pretty tough to imagine!

Yea, it sucked. You pull a double all-nighter. Then sleep for 4 hours the next day. Rinse and repeat. During my last few weeks last year i had an all nighter, then went and played in a soccer tournament, lost in the championship game, broke my foot and tore ligaments, went to the hospital, and went straight back to school for another all nighter after i got out of the hospital.

Seinfeld quote

I love Seinfeld and George is by far my favorite. I got a good laugh out of this.

I'd also like to point out that even after Luck graduates its not like he can just go practice architecture after he is done with the NFL. There is no way he has even begun his intern process which is generally a 3 year deal. That is just to be eligible to begin testing to become licensed. The testing process can take another year or two. So no matter what Andrew Luck may be saying to the media he has no real plans of becoming an architect. He is not going to spend 5+ years of his life with little to no pay doing someone else's busy work just to he can become licensed and then start his real career. You're an NFL player or you're an architect, not both. If Mr. Luck would like to trade I'm be happy to help him.

I agree with this statement %100. I also went to an architecture school' date=' and during my undergrad, i averaged maybe 6 hours of sleep per night. [/quote']

Unfortunately this guy is speaking the truth. A very good friend was in undergrad A-School at UVa, and we never saw him. He just slept there on couches or at his desk.

I love Seinfeld and George is by far my favorite. I got a good laugh out of this.

I'd also like to point out that even after Luck graduates its not like he can just go practice architecture after he is done with the NFL. There is no way he has even begun his intern process which is generally a 3 year deal. That is just to be eligible to begin testing to become licensed. The testing process can take another year or two. So no matter what Andrew Luck may be saying to the media he has no real plans of becoming an architect. He is not going to spend 5+ years of his life with little to no pay doing someone else's busy work just to he can become licensed and then start his real career. You're an NFL player or you're an architect, not both. If Mr. Luck would like to trade I'm be happy to help him.

In twenty years, he could be the biggest rainmaker for the biggest architecture firm in San Francisco or Houston or whatever NFL city he plays in.

Also, the architecture field is awful right now. All the professions are taking a hit, but no one is even remotely planning any large-scale building projects right now.

So....good luck.

I think it's a lazy choice' date=' and it worries me about him. It reminds me too much of Matt Leinart. He stayed in school, because it was easy. I assumed Luck would enter the NFL because I thought he was that kind of competitor.

[/quote']

I don't see how it's the lazy choice for Luck. Leinart stayed at USC for a 5th year and took ballroom dancing in order to graduate/maintain eligibility. This should not be compared to a 4th year academic all american choosing to finish school before entering the draft. "Lazy" for Luck would be staying at Stanford beyond his 4th year there, simply to use up his last year of eligibility (I believe he redshirted).

I always feel like this sort of thing is said by someone who went to community college.

Here's the thing' date=' guys. You don't go to Stanford or an Ivy League School or Georgetown for "the education." I read Shakespeare at Princeton. It was the same Shakespeare I read in high school.[/quote']

:doh: Oh puhleeze... "I read Shakespeare at Princeton"...save it. :rolleyes: Who cares what you did. Although I didn't go to a community college (graduated from a 4 year college), I know there's lots of people who do attend community college to better their lives. Don't think you are above them just because you went to an Ivy League.

Anyway, my point is that is great to see folks who prefer to finish their degree than not.

Hail.

Amazing...he is just saying: I don't wanna play in Carolina. I love it.

He should finish school, so he can work after a huge garanteed money contract.

Do you think Andrew Luck - with his name, his Stanford connections, and his father - is ever going to have a tough time finding a job?

This is all I know: I'm good at my job. And my boss would replace me with Andrew Luck today if he called him.

:doh: Oh puhleeze... "I read Shakespeare at Princeton"...save it. :rolleyes: Who cares what you did. Although I didn't go to a community college (graduated from a 4 year college), I know there's lots of people who do attend community college to better their lives. Don't think you are above them just because you went to an Ivy League.

Anyway, my point is that is great to see folks who prefer to finish their degree than not.

Hail.

He's not putting people down at all. He's saying you go to a top school for the prestige, not the education.

Hail.

I never said I was better than anyone. My boss went to a cheap state school.

I'm saying that people have the wrong idea of what education is at these upper levels.

I had two Princeton classmates who never graduated, because they had amazing jobs lined up and they simply didn't want to do a thesis (which is a massive pain in the ass). The degree wasn't required. It hasn't seemed to impact their lives a bit.

I think its a dumb move on his part though. Look at Locker, he was supposed to go before Bradford, then he goes back to play and now he drops big time. Especially now that Harbaugh is gone, Luck might do a lot worse then this year. Not saying hes going to do awful, because hes a great player, but he might do bad enough to drop to the #2 QB depending on what QBS shine next year and/or what QBs come out next year. I always say come out when your on top if your trying to get rich. Then again, the kids not about money, which I respect a great deal. So on a business stnad point this was a dumb move, but on a moral stand point, it is very admirable.

Here's the thing' date=' guys. You don't go to Stanford or an Ivy League School or Georgetown for "the education." I read Shakespeare at Princeton. It was the same Shakespeare I read in high school. The pre-med students at Stanford study from the same textbooks as the pre-med students at WVU.

You go to a school like that for the experience of going to a school like that - being around the brilliant people your age, having off-the-cuff conversations with Cornel West after class, talking to Paul Muldoon about Warren Zevon, having Johnny Apple from the New York Times cuss at you on the phone, attending a lecture by Antonin Scalia, hooking up with a junior from Lawrenceville Prep in the basement of Cottage Club, having access to actual Picasso when writing a paper on Picasso, having access to an actual Guttenberg Bible when writing about The Guttenberg Bible, having caviar with alums, getting the diploma, having Bill Clinton speak at Graduation.....that sort of thing.

And you go there for the access it provides you later. The Alumni network. The power of the name on the resume.

It's not like Andrew Luck is going to be dumber because he left Stanford a semester short of graduation. Knowing him and his family, he almost certainly would complete the degree before his second year in the NFL. And it's not like he is in training to be anything other than an NFL QB. My guess is, he is never going to design a building. At the end of his playing career if he wants to enter the real workforce, he will either end up in law like his dad, enter politics, or be a rainmaker for some large architecture firm.

You guys are trying to turn this into a "Scholarship Player from the projects promised his grandma that he would be the first in his family to get a college degree" type of story. Luck's emotional and intellectual life goes on whether he stays in school or not. His life is much bigger than just "Go to school for four years to get a degree."

I think it's a lazy choice, and it worries me about him. It reminds me too much of Matt Leinart. He stayed in school, because it was easy. I assumed Luck would enter the NFL because I thought he was that kind of competitor.

Fitzgerald wrote, "The rich are different from the rest of us." Those education at elite schools are as well. Actually, it's even changed in the 15 years since I graduated. The elite high schoolers now are more ****sure than my classmates when we graduated. I interview high school seniors. And the utter casualness of the process is disconcerting. I was desperate to get into an elite school. Because I was poor. The kids I interview can be rich or poor and they all have the same calm, "I am going to go to somewhere great for school....I will then go to somewhere better for grad school...and then I shall run by own engineering firm and train for triathelons in my spare time" attitude. I have to imagine Luck has that same manner.

And now I'm worried about him, because you can't be that casual about the NFL. James Harrison is there. And he will decapitate you in order to make his paycheck if he has to.[/quote']

"I always feel like this sort of thing is said by someone who went to community college."

-What a condescending and ignornat statement. Humilis humilibus Inflectens Arrogantibus.

"I read Shakespeare at Princeton."

-Name dropping and school name dropping is the surest sign of an inferiority complex.

"being around the brilliant people your age, having off-the-cuff conversations with Cornel West after class..."

Cornel West is a race-hustling, pseudo-intellectual.

I never said I was better than anyone...

Yeah, but the way you went about it was condescending and (at least on the surface) appears to serve as an excuse to remind others in the thread/forum of how much "smarter" you are.

Sometimes it's in the way the message is delivered rather than the message itself.

Archived