Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Luck returning to Stanford

skinsfanindallas88

Except Luck couldn't have come out last year, he was a Junior this year and you have to be at least a Junior to enter the NFL draft.

Technically, he's a sophomore. Redshirted his first season so TECHNICALLY he could stay back for 2 more years. That being said, he'll probably leave once he finishes his degree and I doubt it will take him more than 4 years to do so.

I meant Locker, not Luck. Locker was touted to be a top 4 pick last year, and really screwed himself out of a large amount of guaranteed money.

Locker would have been sorely disappointed if he had come out early last year. He would not have been a first round pick, never mind a top-5 pick.

I gotta question the intelligence of anyone that turns down 50 million guaranteed.

Again, he isn't turning down 50 million. The rookie cap will be in place for this year's draft class, so he really isn't losing out on much money, assuming he's still a top 10 pick next year (I doubt he'll be anything besides the number 1, though).

Did it prepare you for a job? I don't think so. Unless its something very linear, like being an accounting major and becoming a low-level accountant, or being in an Education Program and becoming a teacher immediately.

For most, the education you get at a university doesn't actually prepare you for a job. It just qualifies you for one (if it even does that any more :ols:)

The point being. I went to college because I wanted a better opportunity at getting a quality job. If I already had a quality job lined up, I wouldn't have wasted my time going for a bachelors degree. Not say, that I didn't have a great time.

I gotta question the intelligence of anyone that turns down 50 million guaranteed.

Except Luck won't be making $50 million guaranteed, not anywhere close to that. Yes, he will make more money then most of us will ever see, but with a rookie pay scale it will be quite drastic decrease from the steady incline of previous years.

FWIW, the average starting salary for a Stanford grad is $86,611. Third highest in the country behind Harvard and MIT.

And the rookie pay scale will go into effect this season.

Luck just went up ten fold in my estimation.

There's a strong possibility that this would be the last year he could get the guaranteed mega bucks before they restructure the CBA with new rookie caps; and he turns down the money to stay in school and get another years experience.

I really want Locker, but guys with the type of character that Luck appears to have are the type of guys I want on my team.

Hail.

Locker did the same thing last year.

Locker would have been sorely disappointed if he had come out early last year. He would not have been a first round pick, never mind a top-5 pick.

No one knows that. Hell, Shanahan might not have traded for McNabb and drafted Locker instead and then gone OT in round #2.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYpCftPqMDYhjtfr5hpwfSvnS7DeQXY5m8TgB1Qxq_2_Oa5NXFAA

[/color]Oh, and thank God for this. Now, we can stop this "TRADE EVERYTHING FOR LUCK LULZZZZZ" nonsense.

Nope we cant. Now folks going want us to trade back and stock pile picks, tank next season, and hopefully trade up for him... O wait that has already been mentioned 5 times in this post smh.

Is that a fact? How do we know this be true with out a new CBA yet?

Whether there's a new CBA or not, there will be a rookie pay scale. The only people benefiting from the current draft pay rate are the college players, who don't deserve the money they are getting. The money will go to veterans who have earned it.

You disagree with my ONLY point in that post that fiscally he'll come out on the short end of the stick? OK. Show me how his 4-year architecture degree will net him more than his #1 overall NFL contract. That's all I said...that FISCALLY it makes no sense. I even mentioned (and you quoted me) that it's an admirable decision for other reasons.

Oh for goodness sakes. No matter when he goes into the draft he's going to make more money than any of us can dream. Even a rookie cap is going to give him a ton of money.

I think this was a smart move if he wants long-term success. Given the labor situation, there is no guarantee he's even going to see the field next year. Given also that he's a one year wonder, it would be better for his career if he went back to school and played at least another year. The list of junior failures is long in the NFL.

No one knows that. Hell, Shanahan might not have traded for McNabb and drafted Locker instead and then gone OT in round #2.

No. He wasn't viewed the same way by actual teams, as he was by draft guru's. That's why he didn't receive a first-round grade by the Draft Advisory Committee, and why he stayed in school in the first place.

If anything, we might not have made that trade, and might have drafted him at the top of the 2nd round. That would have been nice, looking back on it.

Considering Bradford's shoulder injury was about the worst thing that could have happened, and he still went #1, I don't see how there is anything Luck can do this season short of murdering someone to prevent him from being the #1 pick in 2012.

What a QB class that is going to be....

Agreed. I knew it would be tough for Luck to leave because I knew he wanted to graduate but I am shocked because he 100% was going number 1 plus his coach is probally leaving. Him going back just means he's gonna be even better honestly. Anytime Bradford could injure his throwing shoulder twice and still be #1 their is no chance Luck won't be next year. (Unless Barkley really lights it up)

FWIW, the average starting salary for a Stanford grad is $86,611. Third highest in the country behind Harvard and MIT.

And the rookie pay scale will go into effect this season.

And maybe equal to a practice squad player on an NFL team. Really, financially, there is no point to staying in school if you are the #1 pick in the draft. The best you can do is "break even" the following year (by still being the #1 pick in the draft) but you've forfeited one year of wages.

Note: I'm only speaking FINANCIALLY since people are throwing out average incomes and mentioning his architecture major.

Technically, he's a sophomore. Redshirted his first season so TECHNICALLY he could stay back for 2 more years. That being said, he'll probably leave once he finishes his degree and I doubt it will take him more than 4 years to do so.

That still should make him a Junior though. While red-shirting he still would be taking classes therefore he would be a Junior at Stanford right now. He might have Sophomore playing status because of the red-shirt though.

I am waiting for the post now that says we should trade our number 1 this year for someone elses number 1 next year. That way we have two first rounders to move up to grab him next year.

Hey, that might be a smart plan. Maybe trade our #1 this year for the Browns or Broncos, next year. We should try to figure out which team is most likely to draft #1 and then we'd be really really set next year. :D

No. He wasn't viewed the same way by actual teams, as he was by draft guru's. That's why he didn't receive a first-round grade by the Draft Advisory Committee, and why he stayed in school in the first place.

Good to know, I didn't know what grade he had received from the Committee and it makes sense he decided to return to school if he didn't get a high 1st round or a 1st round grade.

Archived