Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Post: For Michael Wilbon, a fond farewell to The Post

Old Bay

Good riddance. I look back now and can't believe I used to like the guy's writing. Maybe that was back before his hatred of seemingly anything a DC sports fan would be interested in became so obvious.

And as far as the things he said about Sean Taylor, you can spin that anyway you want but this is a direct quote. “I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard the news Monday morning that Sean Taylor had been shot in his home by an intruder. Would it stun me if Taylor was specifically targeted? Not one bit.” – Michael Wilbon, Washington Post

Thank God someone with integrity and a real connection to DC, the much more respected and successful James Brown, put Wilbon in his place.

"But are those reasons enough for some to be so insensitive, so quick and I think so inaccurate in stereotyping Sean Taylor as a bad apple, or that the end he met with was not a surprise? A group of burglars break into HIS HOUSE and surprise to find him there and end his life? Now by all accounts as we've heard from all those who actually knew him well, Taylor did an awful lot of maturing over the last year and a half. For those who have been mature for a lot longer than that, exercising restraint in passing such callous and harmful judgment would seem to be in order..." – James Brown, CBS Sports

And decorum prevents me from making comments about what Ii think Wilbon would like to do with Michael Jordan if they were alone.

Maybe I'm crazy, but back when the newspaper was still the best source for stories and sports news, I always felt especially lucky to have both Wilbon and Kornheiser writing for our hometown sports page.

I don't always agree with Wilbon, but i an safely say that no other sportswriter has made me stop and think as much as he has. And I'd say no other sportswriter has managed to change my mind on certain topics as much as he has. I tried to never miss a column.

He shoots from the hip, sometimes he has a bit of an agenda, and he definitely has his do-no-wrong darlings,, but that's part of his charm. I always felt when reading a Wilbon column like he was standing there talking to me. I love his style.

Long life and much success.

~Bang

I liked reading he stuff. I admit I don't read the post nearly as much as I use to but before I found ES thats were I got 90% of my Redskin info. Congrats to him and wish him the best in the future.

---------- Post added December-7th-2010 at 07:22 PM ----------

So...where's he going?

Full time with ESPN.

It seems like it might be constructive for some people to reread that column:

"It wasn't long after avoiding jail time and holding on to his football career that Taylor essentially said, "That's it, I'm out," to the world of glamorized violence he seemed comfortable negotiating earlier. Anybody you talk to, from Coach Joe Gibbs to Jeremy Shockey, his college teammate, will cite chapter and verse as to how Taylor was changing his life in obvious ways every day. He had a daughter he took everywhere. Gibbs said he attended team chapel services regularly. Everybody saw a difference, yet it didn't help him avoid a violent, fatal, tragic end."

"Coincidence? We have no idea, not yet anyway. Could have been a random act, a break-in, something that happens every day in America, something that could happen to any one of us no matter how safe we think our neighborhood is. Could have been just that. But would it surprise me if it was more than that, if there was a distinct reason Taylor was sleeping with a machete under his bed? A machete. Even though his attorney and friend Richard Sharpstein says his instincts tell him "this was not a murder or a hit," would it stun me if Taylor was specifically targeted? Not one bit. "

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702680.html

For those of you that are complaining about this column, how many of you would have been stunned if he was specifically targeted by somebody he had once had a connection with?

The whole story is about how HARD it is to completely turn your life around if you are from Taylor's background/situation because it means turning your back on a lot of people you have known and up-rooting yourself from the community you grew up in and have heavily associated with (and of course the possible consequences if you don't).

These are the quotes that everyone remembers (and I remember having a new respect for James Brown when he gave his two cents on the matter):

Good riddance. I look back now and can't believe I used to like the guy's writing. Maybe that was back before his hatred of seemingly anything a DC sports fan would be interested in became so obvious.

And as far as the things he said about Sean Taylor, you can spin that anyway you want but this is a direct quote. “I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard the news Monday morning that Sean Taylor had been shot in his home by an intruder. Would it stun me if Taylor was specifically targeted? Not one bit.” – Michael Wilbon, Washington Post

Thank God someone with integrity and a real connection to DC, the much more respected and successful James Brown, put Wilbon in his place.

[B]"But are those reasons enough for some to be so insensitive, so quick and I think so inaccurate in stereotyping Sean Taylor as a bad apple, or that the end he met with was not a surprise? A group of burglars break into HIS HOUSE and surprise to find him there and end his life? Now by all accounts as we've heard from all those who actually knew him well, Taylor did an awful lot of maturing over the last year and a half. For those who have been mature for a lot longer than that, exercising restraint in passing such callous and harmful judgment would seem to be in order..." – James Brown, CBS Sports[/b]

And decorum prevents me from making comments about what Ii think Wilbon would like to do with Michael Jordan if they were alone.

Along with his fan chat the day following the shooting while Taylor was still in the hospital:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2007/11/20/DI2007112000544.html

McLean, Va.: Will your opinion of Taylor change if this does not turn out to be a random incident (e.g. home invasion)?

Michael Wilbon: No ... people's opinions are shaped by the way they've grown up, the way they see the world, what they know about the world the person in question grew up in, etc. Sean Taylor isn't the only guy I know who fits his general profile. I've known guys like Taylor all my life, grew up with some. They still have shades of gray and shouldn't be painted in black and white...I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last. We have no idea what happened, or if what we know now will be revised later. It's sad, yes, but hardly surprising

Columbia, Md.: What makes you think that Taylor was still embracing his old ways? Everything we have heard from the Redskins and Portis is that this is a new Sean. Apparently the birth of his child really helped to straighten him out. Is this contrary to what you know?

Michael Wilbon: Sorry, but I'm not in the habit of having companies with their own public relations agenda tell me about black men and what they feel or don't feel. Pardon me if I'm not that easy.

Pittsburgh: Still in shell shock about this Taylor situation, makes everything else seem trivial. I haven't read any articles about the game or reaction, but do you think these close losses are encouraging to Jason Campbell, knowing it just a matter of time and experience before it all comes together?

Michael Wilbon: Again, I'm not the least bit surprised about the Taylor episode ... why would I be considering his history, even since he joined the Redskins? As for yesterday's game, I doubt Jason Campbell is feeling very encouraged right now. I would bet he'd been pretty angry right now, even as he grows into the role of starting QB. If he isn't upset, or angry, or frustrated at throwing those two picks yesterday, the Redskins should be a little worried. Who was it who said, "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." What a great line. I like Campbell and think there will be days like this as a young QB, and probably fewer as he goes along and matures ... but there always will be the odd day like this, no matter how good a QB he becomes.

The timing of Wilbon's comments couldn't have been any worse and you got the sense that he was using the Taylor incident to play the "apathetic card" in order to muster some sort of sensationalist sports journalism (I'm using that term loosely). It simply comes down to respect. Have enough respect to keep the insinuating comments to yourself when a man just lost his life. Typical two-bit sports writing.

It's amusing when homers criticize Wilbon for being a homer. Wilbon was good for Washington because he told it like it is. He's not some townie who sees no evil. If you want that go call 1-900-4Snyder... he'll ALWAYS tell you things are going great.

People are so myopic. DC is not a sports town. It used to be a Redskins town, but that's waned over the past decade—the place is diluted with transplants who bring their allegiances into town. Now the johnny-come-lately Caps fans are out in force. But there's no historically great sports heroes in DC aside from the Redskins. There were decades when the basketball and hockey team would market other team's stars instead of their own. Georgetown had it's hay dey but that was, while relevant, short lived too.

It's amusing when homers criticize Wilbon for being a homer. Wilbon was good for Washington because he told it like it is. He's not some townie who sees no evil. If you want that go call 1-900-4Snyder... he'll ALWAYS tell you things are going great.

People are so myopic. DC is not a sports town. It used to be a Redskins town, but that's waned over the past decade—the place is diluted with transplants who bring their allegiances into town. Now the johnny-come-lately Caps fans are out in force. But there's no historically great sports heroes in DC aside from the Redskins. There were decades when the basketball and hockey team would market other team's stars instead of their own. Georgetown had it's hay dey but that was, while relevant, short lived too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5lu10hSVTLA0d4XpqcIT5ZPKvlaTSVh6JIWt-ixQ-XGSRCuB9Aw

o rly?

Agreed. He can hate all he wants because there's been an awful lot to hate.

What I remember Wilbon for is how skeptical and dismissive he was of the Redskins for the first month and a half of the 91 season. He was very much in the crowd that said the Redskins were not very good and their record was inflated.

Wk 1 Lions- no Barry Sanders

Wk 2 Cowboys- Emmitt goes out with a tummy ache

Wk 3 Cardinals- it's the Cardinals

Wk 4 Bengals- they barely escaped a winless Bengal team

Wk 5 Eagles- no Randall and McMahon went out early

It wasn't until the Skins went to Chicago and beat his Bears in week 6 that he started giving the Skins some respect

The other thing I will remember is his hypocrisy when it came to the NBA. He railed against the NFL draft and insulted anyone who watched it or was into it but then turned around and covered the NBA draft.

He also failed to see how the NBA has slipped so badly since the end of the Jordan era in Chicago. He still pimped crap like All Star weekend when most of the public has been turned off and has tuned out of the NBA for years and years.

I wish him all the best but he never was one of us like Thomas Boswell is. I will always remember Wilbon as a merc from Chicago.

I like wilbon. He can be self-righteous, overplay the race card, among other things. However, he is a fantastic journalist and writer. He is one of the best, if not the best sportswriter in America. He speaks honestly and tries to look at each situation objectively. When race is an issue he loses himself a little. Understandable to me as he strongly desires for real progression for African-Americans.

If u guys wanna hate him over the ST incident then go ahead but that's ****ing ridiculous imo. All he said was that he was not surprised. He didn't have to say it so bluntly but that his how he talks and writes. I for one wondered why ST was living around the Miami area considering his past. I would have hoped he remove himself all together. It's not enough to stop messing around you have to leave that environment entirely.

Regardless, I enjoy pti to no end. The friendly chiding and banter between two friends reminds me of talking sports with my friends and its just a lot of fun. I honestly wish they swallow around the horn because that show is filled with just th biggest idiots in America.

Sports journalism doesn't attract the best and brightest but we were lucky enough to experience two outstanding writers.

Glad he revealed his late night calls to John Thompson finally. For me he was a mixed bag. Sometimes he was right on his topic and other times he was arrogant and off base. I like how he kept Kornheiser grounded of course. He did play the race card too often and when he did I just ignored his column. Big mistake to go all out with ESPN now.

But there's no historically great sports heroes in DC aside from the Redskins.
I feel so sorry for you since you live in the area and are probabaly a sports fan. I guess this percepton will be out there more and more as the Redskns continue to suck.

Eh, Wilbon wasn't my favorite. Such a Chicago homer and he played the race card way too much for my taste.

Does the post Post have any home grown talent (grew up in D.C. and a D.C. Sports fan)?

Tom Boswell is a D.C. guy, but overall the Post has always looked to outside sources for writers with a heavy NYC bias. Likely because so much of the editorial staff that Ben B. brought with him hailed from the Big Apple.

Wilbon was what a columnist should be; opinionated and informed. While I would agree with him sometimes and disagree at others I generally respected his views and opinion, which unlike some folks, would actually change according to developments. By that I mean he was not so rigid as to become a parody sports guy lost in a sea of stats and nostalgia. And the guy was honest. When he was being a Chicago homer he admitted it. When he looked at situations in sports through a perspective race he would say so, and when he was proven wrong he had no problem saying so.

Really the only constant fault with him I ever found was his insistence on trying to come across as a tough guy when he was obviously built from a superabundance of Hostess Snack products.

See Boswell's writing annoys me. Everything is so rosey and nostalgic.

In every major city, there are sports heroes but they're not necessarily in the National Consciousness. Even the greatest Redskins teams are only OUR legends. Walter Johnson? Really? If you said that name most people would think of the Army Medical Center. Wes Unseld? Patrick Ewing? John Thompson? Len Bias is a legit icon. Cal Ripken wasn't even really DC's.

I'm not saying this to be derogatory, our history is great. But no one talks about any Redskins team from the 80s like they do the 49ers or the 85 Bears.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 10:24 AM ----------

What I remember Wilbon for is how skeptical and dismissive he was of the Redskins for the first month and a half of the 91 season. He was very much in the crowd that said the Redskins were not very good and their record was inflated.

Wk 1 Lions- no Barry Sanders

Wk 2 Cowboys- Emmitt goes out with a tummy ache

Wk 3 Cardinals- it's the Cardinals

Wk 4 Bengals- they barely escaped a winless Bengal team

Wk 5 Eagles- no Randall and McMahon went out early

It wasn't until the Skins went to Chicago and beat his Bears in week 6 that he started giving the Skins some respect

The other thing I will remember is his hypocrisy when it came to the NBA. He railed against the NFL draft and insulted anyone who watched it or was into it but then turned around and covered the NBA draft.

He also failed to see how the NBA has slipped so badly since the end of the Jordan era in Chicago. He still pimped crap like All Star weekend when most of the public has been turned off and has tuned out of the NBA for years and years.

I wish him all the best but he never was one of us like Thomas Boswell is. I will always remember Wilbon as a merc from Chicago.

In all fairness, Kornheiser was all over that too... remember "The Bandwagon"? That was a sarcastic dig at the blind homers who just wanted pats on the shoulder and to be crowned already. TK "fought" it all year to stay off the Bandwagon.

Now, I didn't say I thought Wilbon was a total hack. I just wasn't much for his columns. He knows his NBA, for sure, which is far more than I can say; and you can tell he and Kornheiser love sports in general. I don't blame him for being a Chicago homer (I'm sure if I were a sports reporter in another city besides Washington, it would come out every so often, too). I just don't really dig his stuff.

I respect Wilbon and think he's a very good writer. I wish him the best in his new endeavors.

For all the "good riddance" people, do you prefer the steaming pile of crap spit out on a regular basis by the likes of Sally Jenkins and JLC when he was here?

All three are garbage...what's your point?

All three are garbage...what's your point?

My point is that Wilbon actually a good, and usually well informed, columnist and journalist. Comparatively, most of the "writers" out there today, such as the aforementioned, are lazy hacks spouting a bunch of useless drivel.

All of this is my opinion of course. Feel free to express your own as that is what internet forums are all about...................

I respect Wilbon and think he's a very good writer. I wish him the best in his new endeavors.

For all the "good riddance" people, do you prefer the steaming pile of crap spit out on a regular basis by the likes of Sally Jenkins and JLC when he was here?

I don't think anyone would put Sally (I always point out the obvious 3 weeks after everyone else has noticed it) Jenkins is a nationally known figure. I really can't see anything she brings as a columnist.

Archived