Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo: Fox News headline of Obama’s kids book draws criticism

Hunter44

Is it that difficult to write a children's book? This is equivalent to criticizing him for playing backgammon in the evenings. Is he really too busy to write a "31 page" children's book?

You didn't see how many people complained about him picking basketball brackets, did you?

Well, maybe there were two reasons. Hard to argue that Fox's rightward bias is only a ratings ploy to make money when the corporation gave away a million dollars to Republicans.

The Reps winning makes for more headlines,and is payback for shunning Faux

Zoony, I respect Lee and Sitting Bull naturally.

I wonder what the headlines would be if O praised Lee? :pfft:

Well of course the headline is designed to get people riled up. For one, I think it's fine to get a little riled up. As for what Henry posted, he didn't fight, but it looks like he was still a general of sorts for the Indians. I don't think anyone expected from the title that Sitting Bull killed Custer himself. If anything, Obama should have known this would cause controversy, rightly or wrongly, and just swapped Sitting Bull for someone else.

I don't deny that Fox has an agenda, but I still don't think that it's to the degree you put it at, a degree so high that it's called propaganda. I just don't see it as being that radical. Their average news story is fair and balanced, but overall, Fox is obviously not fair and balanced.

Sitting Bull was not a general. He was a chief of one of tribes that was led into battle against Custer. It would be like saying William Smith killed (or defeated) an American general because he was governor of Virginia when General Reynolds was killed at Gettysburg.

I would like to know once and for all why y'all get so mad about Fox.
Maybe they are issues, but the liberal media downplays them. There have been a number of what I saw as important stories that were not reported anywhere except Fox. Fox has an agenda, but so does every other news channel.

You want to know what's wrong, what;'s actually evil about Fox?

The fact that there exist large numbers of people who are so brainwashed that even when they get caught, they will still defend it, anyway. . That when the facts are right there, when their faces are rubbed in it, they will still stand there and announce "I want people to brainwash me, because it makes me feel better about myself."

The fact that, when asked "Was Barack Obama born in the US?", less than half of Republicans answered "Yes". In two different polls, run a year apart. The fact that we still have people claiming, in Tailgate, that "Obama quadrupled the debt in his first year".

The fact that it's pretty much become impossible to hold a rational discussion on most issues, because of the huge numbers of people who literally live in an alternate world with their own version of reality. And who like it, in that world.

So, since you're the next to post.. care to go on record with your thoughts on General Lee and the confederacy? :cough:

Well, I was actually the last to post, but I'll humor you. I greatly respect Lee. I think a lot of people do. At the same time, I wouldn't call him an American hero considering he was fighting against the US. I know you're trying to get me to say Lee is an American hero, then you turn around and compare the situations of Lee and Sitting Bull and subsequently ask why Sitting Bull is thus not an American hero. To be honest, as you can tell, I don't know much about Sitting Bull. I can't tell anything about the start of the battle from wikipedia's horrible summary of the preceding events. The gist of what I was saying is that Sitting Bull is going to cause controversy no matter what the truth is, so why didn't Obama just choose somebody else? It obviously wasn't a personal list because, from what I can tell, there are only famous figures on it. It was designed to be a children's book, and I don't think it was of any great personal significance.

The fact that it's pretty much become impossible to hold a rational discussion on most issues, because of the huge numbers of people who literally live in an alternate world with their own version of reality. And who like it, in that world.

Glass house, meet stone thrower ;)

Sitting Bull was not a general. He was a chief of one of tribes that was led into battle against Custer. It would be like saying William Smith killed (or defeated) an American general because he was governor of Virginia when General Reynolds was killed at Gettysburg.

Yeah that's why I wrote "of sorts." Chief was a better choice of words.

Glass house, meet stone thrower ;)

:ols:...fun isn't it?

Chicken Fried ya aught to read up on Sitting Bull and the Sioux...a man's man doomed from the outset,that still stepped up.

The man lived his life though.

As a side note, how much would it suck to be Gen. Custer? Not only are you and your men slaughtered, but your name is forever synonymous with 'epic fail.'

And as I understand it, he's considered one of the best commanders in US History. A man whose victories are legend. People study his accomplishments, today.

But what he's famous for, is the only fight he ever lost.

FOX works so hard to artificially manufacture fear and evil. It's crazy.

Plenty of reasons to find fault with the President. Why expend so much energy generating false boogeymen.

Part of me is surprised that I'm not surprised that Conservatives find no fault with this level of reporting and in fact embrace it. I was thinking about it recently and I think that I figured it out. Conservatives have spent about 40 years bad mouthing the media, creating the specter of the liberal media and trying to make society hate and distrust the third estate. To a very large degree, it's worked. The media is considered the enemy, but the added side benefit is this... because the right expects the media to be biased and lie... it doesn't bother them in the least when right wing media is very biased and lies outrageously. It fits within their reality. That's what media does.

To the independents and the liberals the lies, propaganda and distortions are outrageous because we believe in the role of media and that media needs to be responsible. Conservatives don't. They expect the media to lie and so if FOX or Talk Radio Conservatives create falsehoods, that's all well and good, because they're just doing what media does and they're getting even.

The poison of the crusade against the media has worked too well. Instead of creating a demand for better, more honest, and well vetted stories... it's created a scenario where fiction, propaganda and hate is embraced... as long as it fits within a specific worldview and is aimed at the "enemy"

Like we are supposed to believe you media types? :evilg:

Thanks for the laugh. :ols:

I think there's a bunch of truth in what I wrote though. The shoot the messenger campaign really has created a win win for the propagandists. People don't trust the messengers anymore. There's incredible cynicism everywhere. More, people are cheering the lies (and don't care even when they are proven to be lies) as long as it blasts the other side.

This sums it up

You want to know what's wrong, what;'s actually evil about Fox?

The fact that there exist large numbers of people who are so brainwashed that even when they get caught, they will still defend it, anyway. . That when the facts are right there, when their faces are rubbed in it, they will still stand there and announce "I want people to brainwash me, because it makes me feel better about myself."

The fact that, when asked "Was Barack Obama born in the US?", less than half of Republicans answered "Yes". In two different polls, run a year apart. The fact that we still have people claiming, in Tailgate, that "Obama quadrupled the debt in his first year".

And this explains why Fox is so successful.

FOX works so hard to artificially manufacture fear and evil. It's crazy.

Plenty of reasons to find fault with the President. Why expend so much energy generating false boogeymen.

Part of me is surprised that I'm not surprised that Conservatives find no fault with this level of reporting and in fact embrace it. I was thinking about it recently and I think that I figured it out. Conservatives have spent about 40 years bad mouthing the media, creating the specter of the liberal media and trying to make society hate and distrust the third estate. To a very large degree, it's worked. The media is considered the enemy, but the added side benefit is this... because the right expects the media to be biased and lie... it doesn't bother them in the least when right wing media is very biased and lies outrageously. It fits within their reality. That's what media does.

To the independents and the liberals the lies, propaganda and distortions are outrageous because we believe in the role of media and that media needs to be responsible. Conservatives don't. They expect the media to lie and so if FOX or Talk Radio Conservatives create falsehoods, that's all well and good, because they're just doing what media does and they're getting even.

The poison of the crusade against the media has worked too well. Instead of creating a demand for better, more honest, and well vetted stories... it's created a scenario where fiction, propaganda and hate is embraced... as long as it fits within a specific worldview and is aimed at the "enemy"

This sums it up

Fox News is so almighty and brainwashing America, that Obama didn't get elected to office. :ols:

They also have brainwashed America in overturning the "left" every two years :ols:

Check the presidential election results. Glad that brainwashing is driving everyones vote :ols: Fox News really got the left didn't they ;)

Come on twa, we get fair and balanced reporting from the media with the exception of Fox.

Stop living in an alternative reality and believing it :ols:

That's not really what I'm saying. If you look at the thread about Charlie Rangel... Libs and Conservs both voice their displeasure at his behavior and unethical activities. Both want him tossed.

Look at a thread where conservatives have acted badly or a thread which exposes conservative media lies.... did you find a single Conservative poster in this thread who condemned the sensationalistic manipulative efforts by FOX here. Even one who said, "that's not acceptable."

Therein lies the difference. Conservatives seem to embrace every lie, distortion, and exaggeration and will rationalize the Hell out of it when the lie is shown to be a lie. We've seen this countless times. In nearly every thread of this nature. I think it's because they expect the media to be bad and so if their side lies, it's normal... not bad. I expect the media to be Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Bob Woodward, Jim Lehrer, and Walter Chronkite and so when I see it fail it pains me. When NPR screwed up the Juan Williams issue it made me upset esp. with some of the terrible quotes that followed it. When the NYTs was caught plagarizing it made me mad.

I want Conservatives to hold their media to a higher standard. You can have a "Conservative" media that is an honest media. Frankly, do you think it's that hard to find legitimate reasons to be frustrated and angry about what the Democrats in Congress or the White House are doing!!!

I'm curious if you see the same in other networks?

Mote meet beam?

I see it in MSNBC.

Here's the difference between me and the Fox lovers on here.

I'm ashamed of Keith Olbermann, ashamed that he represents MY side. I never try to defend him.

Contrast that with some of the conservatives on here. They are perfectly happy being fed a steady diet of Beck and Hannity, and they defend Fox at every turn. (or, in this case, try to turn the tables and point the figure at everyone else whenever Fox gets exposed once again.)

Archived