Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Devin Thomas - Would you rather play or trade him?

CRogersGuy

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

shanahan is a douche. he thinks he knows what hes doing and so do some of you fools. just cuz he has a ring from his last job doesnt mean his good. **** this new coach who doesnt give young talent chances. hes a stupid ****head

:ols:

Clearly, the age he lists (9) is accurate.

Don't know why anyone would just up and want to trade him?!?!

That's probably why they're coaches, and we're not.

Th fact is you don't know why anyone would draft him, either. You don't know what has happened so that for 3 years none of his coaches have anything poisitive to say about him except what he MIGHT do if he applied himself. I mean, I assume you are a fan like me, and we're not privvy to a whole lot of information.

This team is not some winner with a few slots for some lucky guys to fill. This team arguably has 12 or fewer players on the entire roster that can safely assume they will be here next year. Everyone else is in a continual tryout.

I am absolutely CERTAIN that if he could contribute, they'd figure out how and get something out of him.

But they won't even let him try, apparently, and all that tells me is that in the opportunities he's had in practice that he has shown them no reason to give him that shot.

for me it boils down to this. Who do i think deserves the benefit of the doubt here? Devin Thomas, a player who's current reputation is one of an under-achiever, and possibly even immature, given his offseasons of lackadaisical preparation. (He tried this offseason, but it may be a case of too little, too late, and quite frankly, it might just be a case that he looks great, but can't play. He's not the first guy Vinny picked up who fits that description.)

Or do I give the benefit of the doubt to the Shanahans.. Dad with his two Super Bowl rings and a solid reputation for finding talent, or son who helped orchestrate the Houston passing offense?

I think given those options, the choice is pretty clear who I'll trust.

Plus, it could be that theyt don't want to show anyone his flaws, so as to keep his potential trade value higher. There's not a lot of "book' on Devin yet. No sense in adding pages to it that won't be flattering.

~Bang

There is a weird anomoly among football players.. I saw it in Highschool, I saw it in College.. There are guys that despite their effort, do not practice well.. They NEED that game atmosphere to rise to the next the level, they crave it.. I am strong believer in the play like you practice school of thought, but there are exceptions. I don't know if DT is one of those, but I'd like to see before we ditch him.

This thread makes me sad.

Let me just stand up for Shanahan's ego. I want a coach who has the brains to know what works, the confidence to make the right decisions to that effect and the balls to see it through. So for those of you blaming Shanahan's "ego" for poor Devin not starting, you're right. It's Shanahan making a knowledgeable, confident assessment of what he sees and has the balls to say, "this guy isn't going to cut it come gametime."

That's what we hired him to do. That's what he's doing. If you wanna go back to Zorn, be my guest. I'm going to stick it out with Shanahan not surrendering everything he's determined about Devin Thomas just to please a bunch of internet gadflies.

There is a weird anomoly among football players.. I saw it in Highschool, I saw it in College.. There are guys that despite their effort, do not practice well.. They NEED that game atmosphere to rise to the next the level, they crave it.. I am strong believer in the play like you practice school of thought, but there are exceptions. I don't know if DT is one of those, but I'd like to see before we ditch him.

He's played in games before as a WR. Not this year, but he's been around. What makes people think he'll just all of a sudden get separation and gain tremendous YAC? Nothing I've seen, and I've watched every Skins game for at least five years straight.

If he can't grasp the playbook and we can get a decent pick for him, deal him. He can't play if he can't get it.
Mario Manningham scored a six on his Wonderlic. Ripe grapefruits score a seven. If Mario can learn enough to produce, I'm sure Devin can too.

Mario Manningham scored a six on his Wonderlic. Ripe grapefruits score a seven. If Mario can learn enough to produce, I'm sure Devin can too.

I would assume though its like school to a degree, I know some smart people that are poor students and people that aren't that bright that overcome it with hard work. I read the NY sports pages a lot and Mario at least is described as a hard worker. Both J. Reid and Keim who cover the Redskins covered articles recently that said that Thomas isn't a student of the game or works especially hard -- both of them cited Redskins players who didn't want to go on the record.

Edit: researched Manningham a little just now. He came in immature like Devin but has worked past it. what did he have like 57 catches last year and almost 900 yards? And the Giants have other good targets. Now the Giants know how to draft receivers. Look at Hicks, late round ist rounder and stud. Steve Smith 2nd round stud. I read Barden who was a 4th rounder is a potential stud but its hard for him to crack the lineup. Manningham they took if I recall in the 3rd or 4th. Look at our history drafting WR's its arguably abysmal. Going off topic the Giants also know how to draft O lineman in the middle rounds and have success with that, something we also struggled with.

For the record I voted to start him but we cannot overlook the fact that he must have done/said something to the coaching staff to get in the doghouse. Maybe he doesn't work hard, maybe he doesn't work hard AND tells him he won't work hard. It could be anything. If the staff wants him out then he should go.

I picked trade him, but really I just want to see this guy and his second round bust twin Kelly GTFO. I don't care how you do it, cut 'em, trade 'em, forget them at the airport one day, just get rid of the dead weight. So far neither of these guys where able to crack the starting lineup on the team of the guy who drafted them and said he wanted them to help right away. By the way, that coach was what most on this board would argue is the worst the redskins have ever had, so what makes people think a good coach (not a great one) who is an offensive guru like Shanny would find a place to play them?

It is time to put that horrible draft to bed and get rid of these guys. If they are not producing on the field by now, they probably never will, and maybe getting cut and having to work to get a job back is exactly what they need. There is no point on keeping young guys on the roster deep on the depth chart if you do not plan to develop them into starters. If neither of them moves up past #4, then you might as well just take a flyer on two undrafted free agents and hope one shows something. Fans need to look at the 2008 draft as getting a back up TE, some secondary depth and the rest was a waste, and stop hoping these guys will somehow magically start playing like all pros.

You would think that at this point, with the threat of being cut or seeing even less playing time at KR, that Devin would be doing everything in his power to get on the field. Since Devin isn't a bad guy (at least to our knowledge), I can't see how he could be doing anything wrong.

I'm sure that if DT was doing anything to piss off Shanahan, the media would have grabbed a hold of it by now.

I didn't mean to imply that it was strictly an attitude problem. He could easily be doing things wrong on the practice field, which is what I most suspect would have to be the case here.

From many things I've read and heard, Shanahan's ego was one of the major reasons he was fired. Perhaps he didn't learn his lesson, or perhaps he knows he can take advantage of Danny right now since he knows he wont be fired yet.

Shanahan got fired because the team stagnated his final three seasons and he refused to fire Bob Slowik as defensive coordinator at Pat Bowlen's request. You can call his stubborn nature ego if you want to but the man who replaced him quickly proved to have at least as much of it as he quickly began to provoke and subsequently purge the team of its top talents. Clearly ego in and of itself was not the problem and Bowlen is on record as saying he just felt the team needed change.

This is the impression I've gotten on Thomas too. I see an intensity from him on the field, no matter what he's doing. Which doesn't jibe with the talk that he's lazy or not a good practice player. And which makes his lack of playing time a mystery to me.

In may not be intuitive but it's really not that unusual if you think about it a little. It's easy to get fired up once a week when the spotlight is on. It's much harder to maintain that intensity the other five days of the week during practice, meetings, and film study. The thing is, though, that those five days are at least as important as gameday if you really want to make something of yourself. Not everyone really understands that, even if they claim to

Shanahan seems to value practice performance over game performance. That explains everything.

Did Shanny ever stop to think that Galloway looks so great in practice because he knows Landry wont demolish him, running freely without a worry in the world? Dominating his route running?

During the offseason Galloway looked strikingly similar in practices to what we're seeing from him in games now. It would appear that Shanahan merely emphasizes route-running and professionalism first and foremost among his receiving corps. If practice performance alone was the sole determinant of who played I don't think Thomas would even have made the final 53 over Terrence Austin.

shanahan is a douche. he thinks he knows what hes doing and so do some of you fools. just cuz he has a ring from his last job doesnt mean his good. **** this new coach who doesnt give young talent chances. hes a stupid ****head

I fear the head coach who doesn't think he knows what he's doing. Anyway, thank you for once again gracing us all with your wit and immense intelligence.

Unless I am missing a game, hasn't D. Thomas whole career been that one game against the Saints where they had both starting corners and backup hurt and they signed some guys off the street to play that game?. Jason Campbell looked like John Elway in the game too. If you read J Reid's blog he twice has citied players telling him off the record that they don't think Thomas will make it because he has poor work/study habits.

Forgot the player's name but I recall reading when Shanny arrived to Denver he released the team's #1 draft pick receiver from the previous season, and played undrafted FA Rod Smith instead, seemed strange to some at the time but that # draft pick player never made it in the league. Lots of us thought Shanny was nuts when he released Marko Mitchell thus far though how is Marko doing? i gather if you take things at face value, Shanny thinks Thomas is a good PR not receiver. Shanny seems to have a good eye for talent on the offensive side of the field, i am betting there is a good chance he's right. And for us, if Thomas didn't have that one big game against the Saints CB scrub off the street would we be crying so much about this?

For those wondering why Devin Thomas is not out there, see above, this is why. He's not particularly interested in playing football. He's doing more modeling and video shoots than actually working to learn how to be a NFL WR (remember, he was unpolished coming out of college) and hasnt put in the work to be better than a Roydell Williams (who actually has had a "productive NFL season before with a "bad" Vince Young as his QB) or Joey Galloway (who is open......alot and can still beat 2 deep coverage) or even Anthony Armstrong. He had all OTA's, mini camp and training camp to "prove" his worth.The whole offseason was his "chance" and he blew it. At least Shanahan kept him for KR returns and for ST play, probably hoping the light will turn on for him at some point, instead of flat cutting his ass. Which is what the rest of the league thought was going to happen, since the word on the street was that Thomas was being shopped and no one bit BECAUSE they thought he would be cut. Dont cry for Devin, he earned this.

...Shanahan got fired because the team stagnated his final three seasons and he refused to fire Bob Slowik as defensive coordinator at Pat Bowlen's request...
This rumor was denied by both Bowlen and Shanahan. Neither man discussed the actual reason for the firing, but it seems more likely that job performance was the real issue. The Broncos faded late in the last three seasons of Mike's tenure. When they blew a three-game division lead with three games to play in 2008 (the only time that has happened in NFL history), it was probably the last straw for Pat Bowlen.

For those wondering why Devin Thomas is not out there, see above, this is why. He's not particularly interested in playing football. He's doing more modeling and video shoots than actually working to learn how to be a NFL WR...
This explanation isn't persuasive. Besides the reports to the contrary, some of them coming from Shanahan, one would have to believe that Devin was a complete idiot to accept this as a plausible explanation.

...for me it boils down to this. Who do i think deserves the benefit of the doubt here? Devin Thomas, a player who's current reputation is one of an under-achiever, and possibly even immature, given his offseasons of lackadaisical preparation. (He tried this offseason, but it may be a case of too little, too late, and quite frankly, it might just be a case that he looks great, but can't play. He's not the first guy Vinny picked up who fits that description.)

Or do I give the benefit of the doubt to the Shanahans.. Dad with his two Super Bowl rings and a solid reputation for finding talent, or son who helped orchestrate the Houston passing offense?

I think given those options, the choice is pretty clear who I'll trust.

~Bang

Well said sir, well said.

P.S. Love your work.

I respectfully STRONGLY disagree. I love it. Love, love, love, love, did I say LOVE? it. IMO it's not ego for the sake of being ego. Shanny is setting a foundation, and a CULTURE of winning & playing the right way or you don't see the field. Keep it up, sir. Keep it up. Success is coming.

I'll drink to that

...after work, of course.

How about you just play him some, he doesn't have to start necessarily.

i honestly don't know why he's still on the team. He's pretty much been in the doghouse with two coaches for his work ethic/attiude/aptitude. He's a good KR, but since that's all he seems to be good for, I would think that you could use that roster spot for something else.

This is unquestionably a loud and clear message to Thomas saying "We can't stand your preparation habits". It's the only thing that makes sense. There is no doubt that Thomas plays hard on game day, and will do anything asked of him. I suspect he practices the same way. He reportedly is a weight room rat (for whatever motivation). I doubt his route running is such an issue as to keep him completely off the field. I think the issue with him is off the actual field - meetings, film/playbook study, dedication to craft. It's also been reported that he LOVES the nightlife and the girls, and such avid hobbies have to have an effect on work.

I dunno. I presume that he's been told where he needs improvement. On the one hand, if he's too stupid to seize his opportunity, he's probably too stupid to be reliably trusted. OTOH, they can design a couple of ill-conceived playcalls for Banks, I don't see why they couldn't do the same for Thomas. Moreover, Galloway and Williams are providing nothing (except a good example, I presume). Maybe some PT and game success could encourage Thomas to the point where he starts taking his profession more seriously.

Given lack of insight into his transgressions and how deep they run, coupled with the lack of production from most WRs not named Moss, I would be inclined to give him a chance and to see how he responded. Of course, his level of knuckleheadedry may be so profound that there is no way you would want him out there playing receiver. The thing is, if he was that bad, he'd be gone. I can't believe that they would trust him as a KR, but wouldn't trust him AT ALL on offense. It seems to me that they WANT to use him (otherwise, why keep him around at all?), but only on their terms. While I think Shanahan is a VERY fallible coach and would not put it past him to get into a pissing contest, Thomas' past production really hasn't earned him the benefit of the doubt, either. That said, the fact that Galloway and Williams have produced practically nothing all season would have me leaning towards giving him an honest opportunity to sink or swim.

People are convinced he'll do something he obviously can't do in practice because of his draft position and athletic ability.

Bzzzt.. wrong.. We want to see him get snaps because of what we've "seen" him do in the past.. He's gotten very few chances, yet even with minimal snaps the dude has made some nice plays.. Also, to the notion he's a lazy practicer, why is he gettin on the field at all then (kick returns) if he's a practice nightmare? Playing time is playing time.. Wouldnt look good for Shanny new regime if he's a lazy slouch in practice yet still gets to return kicks.. No??

Archived