Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UI professor blogs about USA chant

Spaceman Spiff

Not sure if anyone here has heard about this, but it just came across my twitter feed a little while ago.

Figured it'd be good Tailgate fodder :D

http://www.dailyillini.com/opinions/letters-to-the-editor/2010/09/15/block-i-chant-portrays-neither-patriotism-nor-remembrance

The vast majority of 9/11 observances in this country cannot be seen as politically neutral events. Implicit in their nature are the notions that lives lost at the World Trade Center are more valuable than lives lost in Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine and elsewhere; that the motives of the 9/11 attackers had nothing to do with genuine grievances in the Islamic world regarding American imperialism; and that the U.S. has been justified in the subsequent killing of hundreds of thousands in so-called retaliation.

The observance at Saturday’s football game was no different. A moment of silence was followed by a military airplane flyover; in between, Block-I students chanted “USA, USA.” This was neither patriotism nor remembrance in any justifiable sense, but politicization, militarism, propaganda and bellicosity. The University is a public institution that encompasses the political views of all, not just the most (falsely) “patriotic.” Athletic planners should cease such exploitation for political purposes. They might at least consider how most Muslim students, American or otherwise, would respond to this nativist display; or better, Muslims and others that live their lives under the threat of our planes, drones and soldiers.

The overwhelmingly white, privileged, Block-I students should be ashamed of their obnoxious, fake-macho, chicken-hawk chant, while poverty-drafted members of their cohort fight and die in illegal and immoral wars for the control of oil. University administrators need to eliminate from all events such “patriotic” observances, which in this country cannot be separated from implicit justifications for state-sponsored killing.

David Green,

University Academic Professional

Wow - that is stupid. Is he a professor? Why is his signature "University Academic Professional"?

99% of professors I know would say "Associate Professor" or something like that.

I agree, I was told my one of my professors that most professors have a hint of ego they carry with them, and if they are a Ph.D. it's Dr. so and so all the time, every time.

Man, he really gets rolling by the end. The beginning was kind of interesting and had me thinking and nodding a bit. In the second paragraph he starts to exaggerate and whine. The third paragraph is just over-the-top.

Exactly. He had a kernel of a good point at the beginning, which he rapidly obscured by being a giant jerkwad.

It seems like this guy is trying just a little too hard, though his ability to hit so many extreme leftist talking points in such a short essay is rather impressive. :)

You are quite correct. Take this sentence:

The overwhelmingly white, privileged, Block-I students should be ashamed of their obnoxious, fake-macho, chicken-hawk chant, while poverty-drafted members of their cohort fight and die in illegal and immoral wars for the control of oil.

My stereotypical-liberal-cliche-density detector just went off the scale.

He started with a bit of a point and then wandered off into the self satisfied world of a twit academic. Had to be Mr. oh sorry, Dr. Know-it-all.

So the students were white and that means they don't know anything about the world? Yea, right. And some demonstration or verbal response has to be totally phony?

Just a silly overblown blogging effort.

Archived