Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The new "Angry Critical Fan" generation

TLusby

I am amazed at the younger fans today and their attitudes and anger. In the 60's and 70's fans got upset at the team but they never picked on players like today. One bad game and a guy becomes a "bum". An example is CP. He might not be the man he was when he came from Denver but he probably will become the all-time leading rusher for the Redskins. Well, I for one love the Redskins and therefore will never be critical of his play. He has played in D.C. with tremendous heart; heart that most of you do not have. The internet has created this "tough guy" mentality for all posters who hide behind monitors. It really is shameful when you read most of these posts. I blame the scheme more than the players. Hall being 10 yards off is not his decision. It is the scheme! I really hope the younger guys start becoming a Redskin's fan instead of an individual stat fantasy wuss. Fantasy football is the worst thing that ever happened to the "real fan". How can anyone root for a player who does not wear the B&G!

I am amazed at the younger fans today and their attitudes and anger. In the 60's and 70's fans got upset at the team but they never picked on players like today. One bad game and a guy becomes a "bum". An example is CP. He might not be the man he was when he came from Denver but he probably will become the all-time leading rusher for the Redskins. Well, I for one love the Redskins and therefore will never be critical of his play. He has played in D.C. with tremendous heart; heart that most of you do not have. The internet has created this "tough guy" mentality for all posters who hide behind monitors. It really is shameful when you read most of these posts. I blame the scheme more than the players. Hall being 10 yards off is not his decision. It is the scheme! I really hope the younger guys start becoming a Redskin's fan instead of an individual stat fantasy wuss. Fantasy football is the worst thing that ever happened to the "real fan". How can anyone root for a player who does not wear the B&G!

No younger generation here.

You blame the scheme not the players?

Our defensive line is a stockpile of has beens, never have beens, retreads, and already got their last big contracts. Our linebacking core has some LAUGHABLE personnel on it. Not saying Haslett is a great coordinator, but seriously.

Everyone was praising our GM. Haha what a joke. Over the hill gang doesn't work anymore. We are the oldest team in the league.

Is a 47 year old really gonna attack the younger fans? Thats the stupidest thing ever. Yeah you might know what glory days are but younger fans haven't seen anything that resembles good. No Super Bowls, a couple of playoffs appearance, and embarrassments every Sunday. Step into he shoes of a the younger Skins fans. We have been watching failure our entire lives. And you wonder why their a little pissed? You can't judge the younger fans cuz your not one. Questioning our loyalty just because we're sick of watching losers the last like 2 decades? Seriously?!

5 winning seasons since 1992.

I don't blame my generation for being "critical" of a team that has been awful for almost two decades.

*After 1992, through last season, we have won 116 games. That equals out to an average of 6.82 a year. 8 of those 17 seasons, we've finished in last place in our division. We've won it once. Like I said, I can't blame those who are critical. I'm eternally optimistic, but it's getting harder and harder.

TLusby has a VERY valid point. Everyone thinks that in one off season everything would magically change and we would go from laughing stock to powerhouse. Really? Was that realistic? People think that as soon as we left the gate this season everyone would be on the same page and would know the new schemes? Hmmmm.

Trust me, I too question the change to the 3-4 defense. But let's not all panic and jump off a cliff after one bad loss. Maybe, just maybe we overlooked them and will actually learn something from this and move on. Or we could truly be that bad and be horrible this season. But only time will tell.

Why the hell are you blaming us "younger" fans? We have every right to be angry or critical because we're sick and tired of the same old garbage team on the field. We only want our team to get better. Why don't you focus your hate on Dan Snyder for overpaying bums and divas like Deangelo Hall and Albert Haynesworth instead of hating on us "younger" fans? Get a life.

TLusby has a VERY valid point. Everyone thinks that in one off season everything would magically change and we would go from laughing stock to powerhouse. Really? Was that realistic? People think that as soon as we left the gate this season everyone would be on the same page and would know the new schemes? Hmmmm.

Trust me, I too question the change to the 3-4 defense. But let's not all panic and jump off a cliff after one bad loss. Maybe, just maybe we overlooked them and will actually learn something from this and move on. Or we could truly be that bad and be horrible this season. But only time will tell.

Dude, WE LOST TO THE FRICKEN RAMS!!! Excuse me for expecting to beat them. How many more times do we have to see this team lose to a team that can't beat anybody else? And just so you'll know, I'm not a new fan.

I'm sorry if you attack the younger fans for not ever getting to to see the glory days and have to watch this crap your just a jerk. Older fans got to see the Skins when they were good so they realize what the skins could be one day. We've never seen anything so all we have to go by is a bunch of losing seasons and disappointment. A older fan making this thread is just stupid. If a younger fan wants to call out other younger fans fine but a older fan can't call out the younger fans for something they don't understand.

Have you heard of this new invention called the Internet?

It's the tops, man.

Everyone? I'd give Redskins nation a little more credit than that. I think you HEAR more from the serial optimists but I think there's a good percentage that are cautiously optimistic. I'm in my 30s and I caught our prime but since 92 it's been a struggle to support this team. It didn't happen right away either, Snyder and Co. slowly degraded the experience for me. The ineptitude you see on the field is just sad, especially since most of it is self-inflicted.

Our players are sub par because we've spent years acquiring the wrong players, our payroll is bloated, it's a broken system. Right things like this will take more than 3 games to fix. I am optimistic about what Shanny brings but it takes time. Boswell wrote a "the same old' Redskins" column today but I think he was wrong. I think we lost (the past 2 games) on this team's merit and not what's happened in the past. Old Redskins wouldn't have fought back from 14-0 and I thought we got outplayed in the second half. Not scheme, not play calling, not quitting... we just got outgunned (mainly by a young, hungry defensive line).

You can't judge the younger fans cuz your not one.
If a younger fan wants to call out other younger fans fine but a older fan can't call out the younger fans for something they don't understand.
I LOL'd, I don't need to set myself on fire to know your house is burning. I don't need to be 20-something stupid again to tell that a lot of people need a diaper change today. Mantra for the day: Man the **** up!

The only thing I would disagree w/ TL about is that it is age-related, there are a lot of 40+ posters having a fit and holding their breath 'til they turn blue today too.

In any profession you use your personnel to elevate their greatest attributes. This coaching staff have tried to put square pegs in round holes. In the years to come they may find the personnel they want to run their schemes. However, for now, we need to play towards our current players abilities. If that means putting Carter and Orakpo on the line, then DO IT. It's time to make adjustments and play towards our strengths. I DO NOT want to see the Redskins become the Broncos of the east.

What the hell do you know about it, man?

You got to see the Redskins when they were in their prime. 3 championships in a decade. Five NFC titles in 20 years. Do you know how rare that is for a team?

You know what we've had? Heath friggin' Shuler, the Squire passing away, Dan Snyder buying the team, a revolving door of washed up free agents, incompetent head coaches, and sub-par quarterbacks.

"Angry?" Damn straight I'm angry. This team is a laughing stock. I can't go anywhere with my Redskins gear without getting laughed at. To hell with that. You've got fond memories of shaking bleachers. We have the friggin' Swinging Gate.

Don't tell me how to feel. You were coming of age just when the Redskins became winners again. I'm coming of age when we lose to win less (and near win less) teams.

Oh, and while we are all discussing it, Portis will NOT finish as the skins leading rusher.

Riggins finished with 11,352 rushing yards. Portis currently has 9,836. That's a mathematical difference of 1516. Ask yourself, when is Portis going to rush for 1500 yards? This season? Yeah right? Over the next two seasons? I doubt he's on the team beyond this year.

I agree with you. Excellent post. Those that are baggin on you aren't the kind of people who self reflect anyway. No worries, you are correct.

I thought Portis played well yesterday. He had over a 6 yard average and so did Torain. I blame the coaching staff for abandoning the run when it was working and when we had a two point lead at the half.

I also blame the coaching staff for our defense looking like garbage. If we had last year's defense and this year's offense we'd be 3-0 right now. Sad thing is, we have the same defensive players as last year. This new scheme isn't made for them.

There is nothing disloyal about honest criticism. There's nothing wrong in expecting or demanding better. I have a feeling this thread was inspired by my thread that questioned whether Portis slid. I asked the question because the play surprised me and shocked me and it looked to me like a give-up and honestly, I wanted to be told that I was wrong or if I was right that there was a darn good reason for Portis to do the QB slide.

I will not boo a player, but I will analyze, question, critique and play painful games of "what if" Pretending our players are faultless and above reproach does not make you a better fan no matter how many years you have followed the team.

What the hell do you know about it, man?

You got to see the Redskins when they were in their prime. 3 championships in a decade. Five NFC titles in 20 years. Do you know how rare that is for a team?

You know what we've had? Heath friggin' Shuler, the Squire passing away, Dan Snyder buying the team, a revolving door of washed up free agents, incompetent head coaches, and sub-par quarterbacks.

"Angry?" Damn straight I'm angry. This team is a laughing stock. I can't go anywhere with my Redskins gear without getting laughed at. To hell with that. You've got fond memories of shaking bleachers. We have the friggin' Swinging Gate.

Don't tell me how to feel. You were coming of age just when the Redskins became winners again. I'm coming of age when we lose to win less (and near win less) teams.

This.

This is not so much about 'age' as it is about technology. I'd bet that if the internet was in full force when you were in your 20's you'd partake in the criticism as well.

And when the younger generation has only seen mediocrity for all these years, it is obvious we will be frustrated and need to vent somewhere.

I don't know why so many people choose to be publicly critical of the Redskins and everything they do. It has gotten to the point where it is impossible to revel in any type of success because there is some group of people that just KNOWS this is going to be awful and tries to bring everything down.

I wish people would just shut up for a minute and hang on for the ride but that seems to be impossible.

The ease of access to the internet has allowed everyone to become a critic. Sometimes you find a diamond but mostly it is a pile of turds.

I don't know why so many people choose to be publicly critical of the Redskins and everything they do. It has gotten to the point where it is impossible to revel in any type of success because there is some group of people that just KNOWS this is going to be awful and tries to bring everything down.

I wish people would just shut up for a minute and hang on for the ride but that seems to be impossible.

Win now mentality. People hate waiting for anything now a days.

Archived