Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The new "Angry Critical Fan" generation

TLusby

If anything I feel bad for younger fans. As an "older" fan who grew up watching great Skins teams win 3 Super Bowls, I've had a hard time identifying with the team lately.

In the good old days, we had several Skins for life, a system that worked, and an identity that defined the team top-down. I don't blame anyone for being impatient with this team considering how little stability there's been and how few real iconic Redskins have come along in the past ten years.

I do think the Internet brings out a crazy, negative element of any fan base that wasn't as accessible previously.

I think it's a combination of 3 factors:

Football has gotten vastly more expensive than it was 20-30 years ago, Redskin tickets have risen faster than most teams, yet the product on the field hasn't improved commensurate with the increases.

Less loyalty across the board due to Free Agency and the modern player contracts. I think this is great for the players since they're much more likely to always be working for the highest bidder, and the NFL does an excellent job maintaining a competitive product where dynasties are neigh impossible, players bouncing from team to team is bound to decrease loyalty. That's one reason fantasy football has gotten so much more popular over this era.

And of course the internet is very conducive to much harsher language than anyone would actually say to another person.

LOL You couldn't last for one work out with me. I'm still 6 foot 200 lbs; less than 5% body fat. I've been coaching for over 20 years. Coached both Adibi's, Tyrod Taylor and many others. Any day you think you can hang with this ole man just show up at the Fort Monroe Gym. I bet you tap out in less than an hour. I guarantee I bench more than you could squat :P

ok beast way too look cool on the keyboard

Less loyalty across the board due to Free Agency and the modern player contracts. I think this is great for the players since they're much more likely to always be working for the highest bidder, and the NFL does an excellent job maintaining a competitive product where dynasties are neigh impossible, players bouncing from team to team is bound to decrease loyalty. That's one reason fantasy football has gotten so much more popular over this era.

Agreed. Free agency has definitely fueled more individuality than anything else and has drawn the most ire. The biggest signing has always drawn the biggest criticism. Unless guys are giving the "home town discount," nothing will change. I know it's one of the oldest arguments in the book, but the players do deserve to be criticized because the fans have a lot to do with the money they make.

Gotta love sanctimony about message boards. I agree that there's more anger amongst fans today, which is fueled by the Internet, but I also understand that it comes with the territory of this thing called the internet and 24-7 access to a forum to publish. What, exactly, do you expect? Do you think fans in the 70's wouldn't have done the same thing if the Internet weren't around? Aren't there more important issues to get all holier-than-thou over?

Archived