Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The new "Angry Critical Fan" generation

TLusby

I think people are missing his point. He is not attacking younger fans...he is saying that there is an issue with some of them where they get so angry, saying "**** this team!" and things of the like. Yes, get upset, but he doesn't understand the animosity with losses.

Well of course he doesn't understand it - our whole point is that while yes, being a fan means experiencing ups and downs, when you have literally nothing but 20 years of games that went like yesterday, you're obviously going to have a very jaded, cynical, and yes, angry, perspective. Having seen some glory (albeit very distant at this point) goes a long way in mitigating that, I think.

I feel like except for the Lions & Browns there is not a more hopeless franchise in the NFL than us. I feel like we have seen almost every team in the NFL rise and fall since 92, except us. We've stayed mediocre.

I think people are missing his point. He is not attacking younger fans...he is saying that there is an issue with some of them where they get so angry, saying "**** this team!" and things of the like. Yes, get upset, but he doesn't understand the animosity with losses.

I think its frustration. Young fans haven't seen this team when it was good or contender. They saw it barely slide into the playoffs a few times with the occasionally divisional playoff. Then this off season you have a coach come in who says we're gonna make this team playoff team NOW. Then they get owned against a team that has 3 wins the last couple of years and 2 of them are against the Skins. Basically it crushed every young fan's hopes that maybe something good would finally come after watching decades of disaster. Thats rough.

Fantasy football is the worst thing that ever happened to the "real fan". How can anyone root for a player who does not wear the B&G!

I've played Fantasy Football for 20 years. It has never ONCE clouded my judgement for the Redskins. I will certainly sacrifice any Fantasy Players stats for a Redskins win.

What the problem is, is not an age thing. It's the win now mentality that the media has created. Take the Rams coach for instance. This is his 3rd year and I heard rumblings that if they didn't show "vast" improvement, he could be on the hotseat. The Rams are obviously rebuilding, he has to have time. And add in the Fast Food mentality of everyone, it makes it hard for a team to rebuild. I'll admit, I haven't been patient with this team in the last 18 years. But when we won our last SB in 1992, I new we were in rebuild mode. I just didn't think it would take 20 years.

I started watching the games in 1976. We went 6 years into my fandom when we won a SB. Then 6 more years and we won another one. Then 4 years and we won another one. I'll admit I got spoiled. I was 24 when we won our last one. I'll be 43 in January and I don't feel like we'll ever win another one before I die. Add in the Wiz sucking, the Orioles/Nats sucking and the Caps choking, makes for an even more volitile situation.

I think its frustration. Young fans haven't seen this team when it was good or contender. They saw it barely slide into the playoffs a few times with the occasionally divisional playoff. Then this off season you have a coach come in who says we're gonna make this team playoff team NOW. Then they get owned against a team that has 3 wins the last couple of years and 2 of them are against the Skins. Basically it crushed every young fan's hopes that maybe something good would finally come after watching decades of disaster. Thats rough.

well put. that's exactly how i feel LOL. we've been through so many "regime" changes, so many coaches, quarterbacks, etc in the last 18 years. Nothing to show for it. nothing.

I'm SO envious of all the fans of other teams. Like somebody said earlier in this post, since 92, i'm sure damn near every franchise has made a run for a few years, except for the skins. like you said, we squeaked into the playoffs a few times, but nothing major. and we sure haven't put together back to back winning seasons in the last 18 years.

I have the pictures that my mom took of my dad and i the day the Redskins won the Superbowl with Ryp in 91. I was 9 then, and now I'll be 30 in less than 2 years LOL. To put things in perspective, I had on an "Alf" t-shirt. so basically, yeah. the last time we were a REAL contender, "Alf" was still on. LOL

MY GOD....

This is not so much about 'age' as it is about technology. I'd bet that if the internet was in full force when you were in your 20's you'd partake in the criticism as well.

And when the younger generation has only seen mediocrity for all these years, it is obvious we will be frustrated and need to vent somewhere.

quite agree... the home loss vs dal when they won 1 game comes to mind. sports radio was the internet-like substance during the glory years.. i had wfan in ny, so i can only imagine what the local sports yak was like back then in the dc area...

Oh, and while we are all discussing it, Portis will NOT finish as the skins leading rusher.

Riggins finished with 11,352 rushing yards. Portis currently has 9,836. That's a mathematical difference of 1516. Ask yourself, when is Portis going to rush for 1500 yards? This season? Yeah right? Over the next two seasons? I doubt he's on the team beyond this year.

Not exactly paying attention to Redskins History are you?

You do realize that John Riggins played for this franchise called the New York Jets between 1971-1975?

What the OP was talking about, and anyone who actually KNOWS Redskins history is the Redskins all time leading rusher.

So allow me to educate you and others who apparently have no clue as to Redskins History.

John Riggins is currently the Redskins all time leading ground gainer. He has 7472 career rushing yards with the Washington Redskins between 1976-79, 1981-85. 9 total seasons.

Clinton Portis is currently the second leading ground gainer in Washington Redskins history. He has currently 6637 yards as a member of the Washington Redskins.

This means, now follow me, Clinton Portis is behind John Riggins by 835 yards.

Now it remains to be seen if Clinton will actually gain that many yards in the remaining 13 games. But it would help if you , and your peanut gallery, would pay attention.

BTW, just for your and other peanut gallery members.

Riggins accomplished his total in 114 career games as a Redskin.

Clinton has done it thus far in 82.

So yeah, to have aledged fans single out one of the only consistent performers over the past decade is a sure sign of a bitter bitter loser.

In my opinion, we younger fans (28 or younger) are much "truer" fans of the Redskins than anyone older than that, and screw anyone who doesn't think we have every right to be pessimistic.

Most of us have only the foggiest (if any) memories of the last SuperBowl win but plenty of memories of the Redskins not only being bad, but being a joke of the league. We've sat through two horrible Spurrier years, two horrible Zorn years, the middling Gibbs II regime, the middling Schottenheimer 1 year stint, the coach of our formative years was Norv freaking Turner. QBs I remember growing up: Schuler, Gus Frerrotte, Jeff George,Tony Banks, Danny Wuerfel, Shane Matthews and a whole bunch of others relegated to the scrap heap of NFL history. I have seen the Redskins win one...ONE division championship and a couple of playoff games. I've seen two back to back winning seasons, neither of which involved a playoff trip and one of which involved an epic collapse from an 8-0 start.

So excuse me if I'm a little angry or critical. This team doesn't blow, the entire ORGANIZATION blows. We are a joke on the level of the Rams, Bills, Lions, etc, and we have been for a while.

Accusing younger people of a win now mentality? Give me a break, we've been waiting our entire lives. At this rate, I doubt I'll even get to see the Redskins play for a conference championship before I die, let alone a Superbowl. Don't think it can happen? Ask a Lions fan.

Please pardon me while I say Bull**** at your first paragraph. You are no more a truer fan than I am and vice versa. I've suffered through those same 18 losing seasons, same as you. I've been through all the same things you guys have. That pretty much makes your post as bad as the orignal OP.

Yes, I've seen a SB win. But looking at those memories is about as useful to this team as nothing. It doesn't help. Young fans, Old fans, in between fans, it doesn't matter. We're all suffering with this team. If you wear your heart on your sleeve for this team no matter what your age is, it hurts.

I am amazed at the younger fans today and their attitudes and anger. In the 60's and 70's fans got upset at the team but they never picked on players like today. One bad game and a guy becomes a "bum". An example is CP. He might not be the man he was when he came from Denver but he probably will become the all-time leading rusher for the Redskins. Well, I for one love the Redskins and therefore will never be critical of his play. He has played in D.C. with tremendous heart; heart that most of you do not have. The internet has created this "tough guy" mentality for all posters who hide behind monitors. It really is shameful when you read most of these posts. I blame the scheme more than the players. Hall being 10 yards off is not his decision. It is the scheme! I really hope the younger guys start becoming a Redskin's fan instead of an individual stat fantasy wuss. Fantasy football is the worst thing that ever happened to the "real fan". How can anyone root for a player who does not wear the B&G!

I understand what you say, and i think it has to do with peoples attitude tin real life, many people lack confidence and it shows when they cheer for their team, they loose hope too quick, it is week 3 everyone knew the 3-4 transition takes time it took GB almost a full year to get it together. People also need to realize there is 0 chance that McNabb doesn't have this team ready to play in philly next week. I think im going against the grain in my "generation", i legitimately think the redskins will win every game.

What the hell do you know about it, man?

You got to see the Redskins when they were in their prime. 3 championships in a decade. Five NFC titles in 20 years. Do you know how rare that is for a team?

You know what we've had? Heath friggin' Shuler, the Squire passing away, Dan Snyder buying the team, a revolving door of washed up free agents, incompetent head coaches, and sub-par quarterbacks.

"Angry?" Damn straight I'm angry. This team is a laughing stock. I can't go anywhere with my Redskins gear without getting laughed at. To hell with that. You've got fond memories of shaking bleachers. We have the friggin' Swinging Gate.

Don't tell me how to feel. You were coming of age just when the Redskins became winners again. I'm coming of age when we lose to win less (and near win less) teams.

Wow - I have to say - what a great description of what it has been like to be a skins fan the past 20 years.

I agree completely with the original poster. I mean why can't we just be like the Larry Michael and kevin Sheenan and Doc Walker and Joe Theisman's of the world and just look at this team with rose colored glasses with delusions of super bowls after every game. I mean come on they beat Dallas in Week 1 so they definitely are a super bowl contender. I mean I am personally upset that Synder has sold home playoff game tickets already since it is so obvious. So what if they are 1-2. It is obvious they are going to win the next 13 games in a row.

by the way, how is the sand that your head has been stuck in for the last 10-15 years :jerk:

You got to see the Redskins when they were in their prime. 3 championships in a decade. Five NFC titles in 20 years. Do you know how rare that is for a team?

You know what we've had? Heath friggin' Shuler, the Squire passing away, Dan Snyder buying the team, a revolving door of washed up free agents, incompetent head coaches, and sub-par quarterbacks.

"Angry?" Damn straight I'm angry. This team is a laughing stock. I can't go anywhere with my Redskins gear without getting laughed at. To hell with that. You've got fond memories of shaking bleachers. We have the friggin' Swinging Gate.

Don't tell me how to feel. You were coming of age just when the Redskins became winners again. I'm coming of age when we lose to win less (and near win less) teams.

I couldnt have said it better myself.

well put. that's exactly how i feel LOL. we've been through so many "regime" changes, so many coaches, quarterbacks, etc in the last 18 years. Nothing to show for it. nothing.

I'm SO envious of all the fans of other teams. Like somebody said earlier in this post, since 92, i'm sure damn near every franchise has made a run for a few years, except for the skins. like you said, we squeaked into the playoffs a few times, but nothing major. and we sure haven't put together back to back winning seasons in the last 18 years.

I have the pictures that my mom took of my dad and i the day the Redskins won the Superbowl with Ryp in 91. I was 9 then, and now I'll be 30 in less than 2 years LOL. To put things in perspective, I had on an "Alf" t-shirt. so basically, yeah. the last time we were a REAL contender, "Alf" was still on. LOL

MY GOD....

Exactly, every year Redskins fans get their hopes up, have them crushed, and then watch a team step up from bad season and make a run. It sucks having to watch that and say what a run that team is making. Redskins are never that team. I watch the steelers so i can have a convos with my steeler side of my family and man it hurts watching a team just dominate teams year after year as we just continue to fall farther. I can't even try to have a convo about football that includes the Skins because they leave me with nothing good to say. Its rough coming from a Skins Steelers family I'll tell ya. At least their not jackasses and taunt the crap out of me at get togethers. Just pity which is almost worse.

Clinton Portis is a terrible example. He hasn't had "one bad game" in fact this past weekend was his best game of the season. Clinton Portis quit on the team last year. He's been ****ing about practice and preseason since Gibbs II. Now he's sliding at the end of runs and pouting on the sidelines. The fact that Portis is still on the team is surprising because it's clear that he's got nothing left in the tank and doesn't have the mental toughness needed to extend the career of a running back.

Well of course he doesn't understand it - our whole point is that while yes, being a fan means experiencing ups and downs, when you have literally nothing but 20 years of games that went like yesterday, you're obviously going to have a very jaded, cynical, and yes, angry, perspective. Having seen some glory (albeit very distant at this point) goes a long way in mitigating that, I think.

I feel like except for the Lions & Browns there is not a more hopeless franchise in the NFL than us. I feel like we have seen almost every team in the NFL rise and fall since 92, except us. We've stayed mediocre.

Nice response! While I can see what you are saying, and agreeing with the crushing blow that we received yesterday. I personally would never say those things as other posters have said. I am not even angry. Disappointed, yes since perennially we are near the last in the division. And for the longest time, the Prima Donna's have had the most control over this franchise (Happy that this year Albert Haynesworth we have a Coach who put his foot down). We all want our beloved team to win, and get disappointed when they lose, but how we convey that is I believe what TLusby is speaking about. I don't think it is a young fan thing. I think it is an internet thing. People on the internet have to try and take on different personas versus what they are really like. The anonymity allows them to vent in a way, that there are no repercussions and do not have to care how they affect others.

Nice response! While I can see what you are saying, and agreeing with the crushing blow that we received yesterday. I personally would never say those things as other posters have said. I am not even angry. Disappointed, yes since perennially we are near the last in the division. And for the longest time, the Prima Donna's have had the most control over this franchise (Happy that this year Albert Haynesworth we have a Coach who put his foot down). We all want our beloved team to win, and get disappointed when they lose, but how we convey that is I believe what TLusby is speaking about. I don't think it is a young fan thing. I think it is an internet thing. People on the internet have to try and take on different personas versus what they are really like. The anonymity allows them to vent in a way, that there are no repercussions and do not have to care how they affect others.

Thanks, but not really sure where you were going with this. Honestly, I'm probably a little *MORE* tempered in what I say online than offline. I'm actually probably a pretty unbearable person to be around in real life when the Redskins lose because I just don't self censor my opinions about them anymore. I try to take a few deep breaths before posting online, at least, lol.

Thanks, but not really sure where you were going with this. Honestly, I'm probably a little *MORE* tempered in what I say online than offline. I'm actually probably a pretty unbearable person to be around in real life when the Redskins lose because I just don't self censor my opinions about them anymore. I try to take a few deep breaths before posting online, at least, lol.

I totally agree. My friends know not to call me after a Redskins loss. Though, I do not think that is the "norm" for internet posters.

I do now!

I'm 45 now and I went threw those "tough times" before the Glory Years.I have been a Redskins fan since 1970(5 years old).And like you,got plenty frustrated.I used to get Crap from people about wearing my Redskins gear...IN D.C.!This was when the Steelers were in their Hey Day.The Lynn Swann days.I know it's a hard road and I don't blame you for it since I was there myself.But I tell you!

When they won the Super Bowl(s),it was the most WONDERFUL feeling in the World! And seems to make up for all those Bad times.All teams go through this...well except the Detroit Lions.LOL!Our time WILL come again,and you will see my young friend.

I'm just as upset as anyone is from these last two losses but I garantee you! I'll be RIGHT back the next Sunday rooting them on again...and again and again!

HAIL!

Dude, WE LOST TO THE FRICKEN RAMS!!! Excuse me for expecting to beat them. How many more times do we have to see this team lose to a team that can't beat anybody else? And just so you'll know, I'm not a new fan.

Everyone expected us to beat the Rams, I certainly did too. But the fact we lost to them doesn't mean we are going to go winless for the rest of the year or that things cannot change.

Suppose you made an investment and for 20 years you didn't get anything back except for agony and pain? That is pretty much the state of the young Redskins fan. It sucks, but I'm still going to support them. There is nothing wrong in being critical. Ever since I was watching, I've seen a billion crappy quarterbacks, some very unqualified coaches, and overall just a very bad product on the field. Yet, every year I'm there from game one watching them. It's tough very tough supporting this team...I was 2 years old when they last won the Super Bowl....and honestly I don't see them going back any time soon.

Not exactly paying attention to Redskins History are you?

You do realize that John Riggins played for this franchise called the New York Jets between 1971-1975?

What the OP was talking about, and anyone who actually KNOWS Redskins history is the Redskins all time leading rusher.

So allow me to educate you and others who apparently have no clue as to Redskins History.

John Riggins is currently the Redskins all time leading ground gainer. He has 7472 career rushing yards with the Washington Redskins between 1976-79, 1981-85. 9 total seasons.

Clinton Portis is currently the second leading ground gainer in Washington Redskins history. He has currently 6637 yards as a member of the Washington Redskins.

This means, now follow me, Clinton Portis is behind John Riggins by 835 yards.

Now it remains to be seen if Clinton will actually gain that many yards in the remaining 13 games. But it would help if you , and your peanut gallery, would pay attention.

BTW, just for your and other peanut gallery members.

Riggins accomplished his total in 114 career games as a Redskin.

Clinton has done it thus far in 82.

So yeah, to have aledged fans single out one of the only consistent performers over the past decade is a sure sign of a bitter bitter loser.

Riggins also did it while playing 14 game seasons for several years. He was also a Superbowl MVP that teams feared facing and dreaded trying to tackle.

Anyone who thinks that Portis is a better running back than Riggins, or that Riggins only made his yards because of the hogs is an idiot or has never watched him play. Show me where Riggins slid down once in his career to avoid a hit and I'll kiss your ***.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801b39e1/Powerback-John-Riggins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o42gGJuJvlQ

(Read the first comment there then watch all of the people he trucks with no help from anyone.)

Portis has been consistent all right. Consistently disappointing and embarrassing.

Archived