Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The new "Angry Critical Fan" generation

TLusby

Oh, and while we are all discussing it, Portis will NOT finish as the skins leading rusher.

Riggins finished with 11,352 rushing yards. Portis currently has 9,836. That's a mathematical difference of 1516. Ask yourself, when is Portis going to rush for 1500 yards? This season? Yeah right? Over the next two seasons? I doubt he's on the team beyond this year.

Riggins rushed for 7472 yards WITH THE REDSKINS. The rest of his yardage was gained with the Jets.

As of right now, Portis has 6737 with the Redskins leaving him 735 yards shy of Riggins REDSKIN record, so yes, it's a very real possibility that Portis could surpass Riggins as the all time REDSKINS rushing leader.

My dad's old, and he picks on players and calls them "bums," so I let's not get all nuts and just blame young fans (who, after all, have only seen incompetence).

Does he get on the internet and make sure everyone knows how much of a bum "x" player is?

Then when "x" player makes a nice play does he go back and edit all of his posts?

I saw so many posts this past week about Doughty being such a bum and this week he causes a fumble on an awesome hit.

In my opinion, we younger fans (28 or younger) are much "truer" fans of the Redskins than anyone older than that, and screw anyone who doesn't think we have every right to be pessimistic.

Most of us have only the foggiest (if any) memories of the last SuperBowl win but plenty of memories of the Redskins not only being bad, but being a joke of the league. We've sat through two horrible Spurrier years, two horrible Zorn years, the middling Gibbs II regime, the middling Schottenheimer 1 year stint, the coach of our formative years was Norv freaking Turner. QBs I remember growing up: Schuler, Gus Frerrotte, Jeff George,Tony Banks, Danny Wuerfel, Shane Matthews and a whole bunch of others relegated to the scrap heap of NFL history. I have seen the Redskins win one...ONE division championship and a couple of playoff games. I've seen two back to back winning seasons, neither of which involved a playoff trip and one of which involved an epic collapse from an 8-0 start.

So excuse me if I'm a little angry or critical. This team doesn't blow, the entire ORGANIZATION blows. We are a joke on the level of the Rams, Bills, Lions, etc, and we have been for a while.

Accusing younger people of a win now mentality? Give me a break, we've been waiting our entire lives. At this rate, I doubt I'll even get to see the Redskins play for a conference championship before I die, let alone a Superbowl. Don't think it can happen? Ask a Lions fan.

I think the real question is, Why is anyone who is a) under 25 and B) in the right mind a Redskins fan?

The team has stunk during their entire life. The Ravens are less than an hour away and always on tv. The Stadium experience is awful. Unless they have been utterly brainwashed by their family, it's hard to imagine why they put up with this.

What the hell do you know about it, man?

You got to see the Redskins when they were in their prime. 3 championships in a decade. Five NFC titles in 20 years. Do you know how rare that is for a team?

You know what we've had? Heath friggin' Shuler, the Squire passing away, Dan Snyder buying the team, a revolving door of washed up free agents, incompetent head coaches, and sub-par quarterbacks.

"Angry?" Damn straight I'm angry. This team is a laughing stock. I can't go anywhere with my Redskins gear without getting laughed at. To hell with that. You've got fond memories of shaking bleachers. We have the friggin' Swinging Gate.

Don't tell me how to feel. You were coming of age just when the Redskins became winners again. I'm coming of age when we lose to win less (and near win less) teams.

Your post seems to imply that you, as a fan, are entitled to wins, titles and Super Bowl rings. None of that is guaranteed. It comes with hard work and effort. It may be frustrating at times, but I support my Burgundy and Gold when they are 4-12 and when they are 14-2. If routing for a team was just about wins and rings, we'd all be Steeler's fans.

I don't think it has anything to do with age. It has to do with how much pressure sports media and culture puts on the teams and the fact that the "internet age" gives everyone a say in the matter. But as a Skins fan who was still ****ting himself when we were in our last Super Bowl your damn right I'm about sick of having to watch teams like the Lions and Rams hand our asses to us on a silver platter every week.

In my opinion, we younger fans (28 or younger) are much "truer" fans of the Redskins than anyone older than that, and screw anyone who doesn't think we have every right to be pessimistic.

Most of us have only the foggiest (if any) memories of the last SuperBowl win but plenty of memories of the Redskins not only being bad, but being a joke of the league. We've sat through two horrible Spurrier years, two horrible Zorn years, the middling Gibbs II regime, the middling Schottenheimer 1 year stint, the coach of our formative years was Norv freaking Turner. QBs I remember growing up: Schuler, Gus Frerrotte, Jeff George,Tony Banks, Danny Wuerfel, Shane Matthews and a whole bunch of others relegated to the scrap heap of NFL history. I have seen the Redskins win one...ONE division championship and a couple of playoff games. I've seen two back to back winning seasons, neither of which involved a playoff trip and one of which involved an epic collapse from an 8-0 start.

So excuse me if I'm a little angry or critical. This team doesn't blow, the entire ORGANIZATION blows. We are a joke on the level of the Rams, Bills, Lions, etc, and we have been for a while.

Accusing younger people of a win now mentality? Give me a break, we've been waiting our entire lives. At this rate, I doubt I'll even get to see the Redskins play for a conference championship before I die, let alone a Superbowl. Don't think it can happen? Ask a Lions fan.

Some folks really have a lot of nerve; telling people how to feel. I bet Redskins fans in the 50s and 60s were saying the exact things.

I think in a way it's tougher on us that have lived through the best days just because we know what it feels like and what it should look like. That said, the fortitude of the younger fan to stick it out having his best days being Gibbs II and one playoff win, but otherwise endless mediocrity or worse is impressive. The fires that helped my fanship that take shape were championship. The fires that the under 20 underwent have been barely luke warm.

Your post seems to imply that you, as a fan, are entitled to wins, titles and Super Bowl rings. None of that is guaranteed. It comes with hard work and effort. It may be frustrating at times, but I support my Burgundy and Gold when they are 4-12 and when they are 14-2. If routing for a team was just about wins and rings, we'd all be Steeler's fans.

I may not be entitled to wins, but I think I'm entitled to a little bit of competency.

And don't pull that "real fan" BS on me, jack. I've been a fan since conception and I live and die with this team, even though they have been doing the complete opposite.

Where you in my dad's apartment when Turk blew the snap in the '99 playoffs and I cried throughout the night? Were you in my mom's/step dad's den when Spurrier was buzzing his lips like an idiot on Monday Night Football? Were you in my bed room when I heard Sean Taylor was killed in his home for no reason by a bunch of thugs. Where you in my parent's living room when we got punked on national t.v. against the Giants?

Don't you dare tell me how to be a fan. If I weren't, I would've jumped ship a long, LONG time ago.

I am amazed at the younger fans today and their attitudes and anger. In the 60's and 70's fans got upset at the team but they never picked on players like today. One bad game and a guy becomes a "bum". An example is CP. He might not be the man he was when he came from Denver but he probably will become the all-time leading rusher for the Redskins. Well, I for one love the Redskins and therefore will never be critical of his play. He has played in D.C. with tremendous heart; heart that most of you do not have. The internet has created this "tough guy" mentality for all posters who hide behind monitors. It really is shameful when you read most of these posts. I blame the scheme more than the players. Hall being 10 yards off is not his decision. It is the scheme! I really hope the younger guys start becoming a Redskin's fan instead of an individual stat fantasy wuss. Fantasy football is the worst thing that ever happened to the "real fan". How can anyone root for a player who does not wear the B&G!

A "REAL FAN" puts the team before any one player.

Tell me, where was Clinton's "tremendous heart" when he was not working as hard as he could have and SHOULD HAVE for the past several years? Something he admitted to and only changed when he was in fear of loosing his job. Where was it when his team mates called him the worst team mate ever? The only thing Clinton has is a "tremendous" mouth and a giant ego that he uses to embarrass himself and the Redskins with at least once a year. Game breaking runs that spur the team to wins... not so much.

And you dare accuse me of not being a "real" Redskins fan? Check your mirror bro. I'm not the one putting one disruptive player ahead of the team.

I may not be entitled to wins, but I think I'm entitled to a little bit of competency.

And don't pull that "real fan" BS on me, jack. I've been a fan since conception and I live and die with this team, even though they have been doing the complete opposite.

Where you in my dad's apartment when Turk blew the snap in the '99 playoffs and I cried throughout the night? Were you in my mom's/step dad's den when Spurrier was buzzing his lips like an idiot on Monday Night Football? Were you in my bed room when I heard Sean Taylor was killed in his home for no reason by a bunch of thugs. Where you in my parent's living room when we got punked on national t.v. against the Giants?

Don't you dare tell me how to be a fan. If I weren't, I would've jumped ship a long, LONG time ago.

Thank you for illustrating my point with such grace and character.

PS. I never recall saying anyone here wasn't a "true fan."

Oh, and while we are all discussing it, Portis will NOT finish as the skins leading rusher.

Riggins finished with 11,352 rushing yards. Portis currently has 9,836. That's a mathematical difference of 1516. Ask yourself, when is Portis going to rush for 1500 yards? This season? Yeah right? Over the next two seasons? I doubt he's on the team beyond this year.

I think you just made my day. :D

Is a 47 year old really gonna attack the younger fans? Thats the stupidest thing ever. Yeah you might know what glory days are but younger fans haven't seen anything that resembles good. No Super Bowls, a couple of playoffs appearance, and embarrassments every Sunday. Step into he shoes of a the younger Skins fans. We have been watching failure our entire lives. And you wonder why their a little pissed? You can't judge the younger fans cuz your not one. Questioning our loyalty just because we're sick of watching losers the last like 2 decades? Seriously?!

I couldn't agree more. If somebody questioned my loyalty to the Redskins to my face i would probably freak out and punch them. LOL

I made an entire post last night talking about how its hard being a Skins fan under the age of 30. I was 9 years old when we won our last superbowl with Ryp, and since then, we've only had 5 winning seasons. And yet my house, car, office at work, wardrobe, is covered with Redskins stuff and it is in my will to be buried wearing a Redskins jersey.

I'm a diehard skins fan, but MY GOD its been hard to hang in there year after year. I know you can't have the "ups" without the "downs," but seriously? I'm 28 years old now, and with the way things have been going since 91, I'm afraid we might not make another superbowl appearence until I'm in my 40's. that really scares me.

For those of us born 1980 and later, we have no memory of the "glory days" like a lot of you older folks do. I wish I did. I get goosebumps everytime they show old clips of RFK and the Hogs, Riggo, Doug Williams, Monk. goosebumps EVERY time...

Thank you for illustrating my point with such grace and character.

PS. I never recall saying anyone here wasn't a "true fan."

And just how, pray, did I prove any point of yours? Because I want a little bit of competency from an organization that I care very much for? Because I've stick by this team through thin and even thinner?

And you didn't say that it so many words, but don't deny that it wasn't "implied."

My childhood and teenage years have been spent waiting and hoping and praying for better times and consistency. You want me to jump ship, but I'm not going anywhere; especially for the fans that are "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil." I love this team, but I'm not afraid to say it when they've stunk up the joint.

I'm upset. Not because we lose games, but because there's no real commitment to long term excellence from top to bottom. I hope Bruce Allen changes that in the future, but 19 years of frustration does things to a guy.

And just how, pray, did I prove any point of yours? Because I want a little bit of competency from an organization that I care very much for? Because I've stick by this team through thin and even thinner?

And you didn't say that it so many words, but don't deny that it wasn't "implied."

My childhood and teenage years have been spent waiting and hoping and praying for better times and consistency. You want me to jump ship, but I'm not going anywhere; especially for the fans that are "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil." I love this team, but I'm not afraid to say it when they've stunk up the joint.

I'm upset. Not because we lose games, but because there's no real commitment to long term excellence from top to bottom. I hope Bruce Allen changes that in the future, but 19 years of frustration does things to a guy.

Wow man... not once did I tell you to jump ship. I really think you are getting the wrong idea from my posts. You are proving my point because you are angry the team lost, and you feel as if being a fan means that you are entitled to wins and trophies, and you are bitter since the skins have been suffering since '92. How do you think I feel? I am not entitled to wins or anything. The only thing I feel entitled to is a team that plays decent football and can compete on a level with it's opponents on a weekly basis.

Tough losses test the loyalty of all fans... so suck it up and tune in next week. You never know what might happen.

Wow man... not once did I tell you to jump ship. I really think you are getting the wrong idea from my posts. You are proving my point because you are angry the team lost, and you feel as if being a fan means that you are entitled to wins and trophies, and you are bitter since the skins have been suffering since '92. How do you think I feel? I am not entitled to wins or anything. The only thing I feel entitled to is a team that plays decent football and can compete on a level with it's opponents on a weekly basis.

Tough losses test the loyalty of all fans... so suck it up and tune in next week. You never know what might happen.

I disagree with that. Fans can accept tough losses outside of Cowboy fans. Fans loyalty is tested when they face decades of losses and disappointment.

Others have said it, but its the internet. These fans that ***** and whine have a venue to do it. I can be a tough guy on here because theres no one that can punch me in the face for being an idiot.

Yes, I have facebook. On gameday its stupid how many db's post comments like " way to go skins," "were horrible," etc....They tune in for PART of the game, don't know the players names, and love to ***** because its the cool thing to do. Its more that these fairweather fans and the ones who are more vocal.

I disagree with that. Fans can accept tough losses outside of Cowboy fans. Fans loyalty is tested when they face decades of losses and disappointment.

Agree with the second part of your comment but not wth the first. Sure, a lot of fans can, but a lot can't. Those that can't come on here, facebook, myspace, whatever and ***** like a 5 year old that got his lollipop stolen. Most of these people are younger because the amount of young people using the internet compared to old, mixed in with maturity level, gives us the constant crying I am talking about.

Archived