Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think this is where I'm at. Drummond. Followed by MKG and TRob. Not sure which order to put the next two. I really hate MKG's shot a lot. But you can't deny the talent. And I just question Robinson's ceiling.

I've flip flopped back and forth on MKG and TRob a few times and I think I'll continue to do so all the way to the draft. I also put them both behind Drummond. The Drummond vs anyone else argument is starting to sound a lot like Howard vs Okafor.

I would do T-rob/MKG at 3 and either terrance ross, or PJIII with the 10. I think sullinger could be an OK pro but you have to really think, is he going to be THAT much better than seraphin? I doubt his game translates as effectively in the pros as seraphin has recently demonstrated. If you take Beal at 3 and take sullinger at 10 I have no major irks with that. Wing play must be addressed though. Name some players we can trade in plausible scenarios to befit the idea of taking Sullinger and T-Rob with the the two top 10 pics.

I don't really think Ross is a legit lottery talent. He'd fit a need, but isn't close to as good a player as Sully is to justify reaching for him at 10 (assuming Sully is available).

PJIII just doesn't have it in him. I don't think he amounts to anything in the NBA. He'll come out with an individually monstrous game just often enough to fool you into giving him extra chances but he will simply never be an important part of a winning team. He'll bounce around the league for a few seasons, be on his third or fourth team in five years. He's not worth it. I wouldn't take PJIII over Jan Vesely if they were both in the same class.

PJIII just doesn't have it in him. I don't think he amounts to anything in the NBA. He'll come out with an individually monstrous game just often enough to fool you into giving him extra chances but he will simply never be an important part of a winning team. He'll bounce around the league for a few seasons, be on his third or fourth team in five years. He's not worth it.

This is how I feel about Drummond, with the exception that he'll stick with his initial team as long as possible before they finally give up.

apparently one of Sullinger's legs is longer than the other. Not sure if I like that.

I think most people have one leg shorter than the other. It's just how much is what matters. A good chiropractor once a week would take care of that. My right leg is longer than my left. I go to get an adjustment once a month. I don't think it's that big of a concern unless he starts to have back problems. A good pair of insoles or something to even it out wouldn't even be noticed.

I've flip flopped back and forth on MKG and TRob a few times and I think I'll continue to do so all the way to the draft. I also put them both behind Drummond. The Drummond vs anyone else argument is starting to sound a lot like Howard vs Okafor.

I'm pretty firmly TRob over MKG right now. Both great players, but TRob has a true NBA position and is a better fit for us.

Also, directed to GACOLB: I wouldn't worry too much about TRob's upside because the guy is a true blue athletic freak. Virtually the same measurables as Blake Griffin. Just on athleticism alone, he should have a really high ceiling. But he's also got heart and Blake's motor. This season was so impressive from him. Davis is truly brilliant and rightfully the champion and POTY, but if not for him, that would probably have been TRob on both counts. It's impressive to me that TRob led an otherwise mediocre Kansas team to the finals this year. I think he brings that same kind of motor and leadership to the NBA.

It may just be nitpicking, but I've been cooling on MKG a bit. For one thing, he seems kind of heavy and his measurables aren't great plus his shooting is poor. For another thing, his NBA position is vague. In his heart of hearts, MKG is a power forward that can run some point because of his ball handling, but he doesn't have the size to play it in the NBA. If he were a bit leaner, longer, and more explosive, I'd think Scottie Pippen like SF all the way. In reality, he confounds me a little bit. He's a really unique player. A rich man's Gerald Wallace maybe?

MKG might slightly trump TRob on talent alone, but TRob is the easy, intuitive pick. I would be fine with either though. Both seem like they're going to be fantastic NBA players.

Drummond is who I go back and forth with more. Yeah if he's there at three, he's the clear cut BPA.

I agree Drummond vs. TRob or even Drummond vs. Davis has some elements of the Howard vs. Okafor debate.

But Drummond is going to take a staggering amount of work to polish that uncut gem into a diamond. I seriously don't know that this organization is capable of doing it. Not a single one of us trust the F.O. nor the coaching staff. It says more about us than him, but I don't think he can learn to play here. Think about it, who have we really developed under Ernie? Even Seraphin seems like most of his development happened in France. Feels like we might have to settle for some self starters with day one NBA skills or we risk getting nothing from our picks.

Funny that some of us a week or so ago, wanted to acquire the 6 and 11 from the Blazers, but you guys kept saying that that was too many rookies/2nd year players. Now you guys are onboard with acquiring the #10 pick, So which is it? I know we'd pick up Ariza and Okafor in the trade and maybe Gordon in a 2nd trade, but I would imagine that if we traded with the Blazers, it wouldn't have been 6 and 11 for the #3. There would have been some vets involved.

This is a trade proposal from another board. (A Celtics fan I assume)

It's so ridiculous (at least to me) that I just had to repost it.

BOS out: Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo, #21

BOS in: #3, #6, #11, R.Lewis

Boston rebuilds from 0 (empty payroll, 4 picks in this draft)

WAS out: R.Lewis, #3

WAS in: Pierce, W.Matthews, Luke Babbit, #21

W's trades down in this draft and add another veteran (with short length contract) to play alongside Nene and dump RL salary

POR out: W.Matthews, Luke Babbit (or other salary fillers), #6, #11

POR in: Rondo

blazers get their PG to play with LA

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Probably the most idiotic trade proposal I've seen in a while. LOL.

Anyways...I'm all on onboard for T-Rob. The intensity, rebounding, and potential inside/out game are too appealing to let slip by. Not to mention, he's from DC. Like I was reading on BF, 4's in today's NBA have to be able to step out and hit jumpers. Robinson, while he can improve in this area, has shown that he can do this aspect of playing basketball. We get him here, we'll be getting a guy who WILL average a double-double from the jump.

I don't have words to describe how foolish that would be. Whoever thought that up must have had a ton of booze after the game seven loss. Even the ESPN trade machine would say no to that, and it let me do a deal with Blatche being the major player in a deal bringing Dwight Howard to DC.

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 02:19 PM ----------

Anyways...I'm all on onboard for T-Rob. The intensity, rebounding, and potential inside/out game are too appealing to let slip by. Not to mention, he's from DC.

This is where I stand too after thinking about it for a few days. I think it will be him or Drummond...

I can't really argue against T-Rob, but who is going to score for this team? This team had no outside shooting last year and T-Rob doesn't address that plus we seem to be stocked full of your power forwards.

Are there good reasons not to draft Beal? A guy that handles the ball well, gets to the rim and by all accounts has a good outside shot.

I don't really think Ross is a legit lottery talent. He'd fit a need, but isn't close to as good a player as Sully is to justify reaching for him at 10 (assuming Sully is available).

PJIII just doesn't have it in him. I don't think he amounts to anything in the NBA. He'll come out with an individually monstrous game just often enough to fool you into giving him extra chances but he will simply never be an important part of a winning team. He'll bounce around the league for a few seasons, be on his third or fourth team in five years. He's not worth it. I wouldn't take PJIII over Jan Vesely if they were both in the same class.

guess it depends on whose scouting reports you believe. I personally like ross as the 2nd best SG in this draft. He has great size for the 2 and great athleticism. Beal is the only guy I feel who could be more of a "sure thing" at the two spot than Ross. As the PJ III, he has huge question marks, but if you're in the camp of drafting players out of potential, like Drummond you can't help but marvel at PJ III's massive athleticism advantage over others. With him and drummmond, you can coach up players that need to get motivated. I don't mind taking a player like that at 10, at the 3...I'm not so sure. I think Sully will be gone by 10 honestly, and the team that takes him will more than likely end up with a poor man's milsap in my opinion. His advanced stats are great, I have no idea how his game will translate in the next level, that makes it gamble to me. I'd rather gamble on someone who has the potential to dominate than someone whose best case scenario is a the first big off the bench on a playoff team.

Are there good reasons not to draft Beal? A guy that handles the ball well, gets to the rim and by all accounts has a good outside shot.

1 - He does not handle the ball well. In fact his biggest weakness is likely his sub par ball handling and difficulty creating his own shot.

2 - He is compared to Ray Allen as a shooter but his FG% is no where near where it would need to be to justify the comparison.

3 - He's probably not the best player available at #3.

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 03:51 PM ----------

As the PJ III, he has huge question marks, but if you're in the camp of drafting players out of potential, like Drummond you can't help but marvel at PJ III's massive athleticism advantage over others.

Drummond has the size and strength of a true center, he just happens to be a freak athlete on top of that. PJIII has the height of a PF/C but he lacks strength and was pushed around at the college level. He's one of those players without a true position in the NBA and will likely end up playing a great deal of SF.

1 - He does not handle the ball well. In fact his biggest weakness is likely his sub par ball handling and difficulty creating his own shot.

2 - He is compared to Ray Allen as a shooter but his FG% is no where near where it would need to be to justify the comparison.

3 - He's probably not the best player available at #3.

After the combine, hearing other fans, reading up on things, I'm going to get off the Beal bandwagon (eventhough I'd still be fine with him at 3, he did start coming around with his jumper, FG 61% 3FG 40% in the Tourney along with 8 RPG) and say Trob is the right pick at 3. He can solidify out front court for many years. He can provide the hustle and rebounding we have been dreaming about in D.C. for a while now and let's face it, it is easier to find shooters in this league than it is to find top notch rebounders with Trob's motor and intensity. The hardest thing to find in a draft is a wing/guard that can take over games like Durant/Lebron/Manu/Harden/Wade/Kobe/Pierce, etc. There isn't one in this draft and rarely is found out all but Beal could become a player somewhat close to that one day but he is better suited to be a Ben Gordon/Michael Redd with better defense.

All in all, let's just take Trob and find consistent spot up shooters at the 2/3 through FA (Brandon Rush/Danny Green/Pietrus/Jodie Meeks) or in the late 1st(if we trade up and buy a late 1st) or 2nd (Orlando Johnson [biggest Sleeper-Star Potential in the 2nd Round]/Doron Lamb/Will Buford/John Jenkins/Troy Wroten/ or maybe even Jae Crowder who is losing weight and getting in better shape to play 2/3 in the NBA. Good 3 point shooter in college and might drop to the 46th pick).

Ideally I'd like to now see...

Wall/Mack/Vet Minimum

Crawford/Orlando Johnson or Lamb(I don't have Jenkins falling unless we get a late 1st)/Mason or Martin

Rush or Green/Singleton/Crowder

T-Rob/Booker/Vesely/James Singelton

Nene/Seraphin

IR: Mason or Martin/James Singelton

D-League: Possibly Orlando Johnson or Crowder. I'd hope they'd make the team tho but we only have so many roster spots. Might not even have room for a vet PG

Obviously something would have to be done with Lewis and Blatche so since this is an ideal situation for me, Blatche is amnestied and Lewis is bought out :)

Edited by SuperBash

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 03:51 PM ----------

[/color]

Drummond has the size and strength of a true center, he just happens to be a freak athlete on top of that. PJIII has the height of a PF/C but he lacks strength and was pushed around at the college level. He's one of those players without a true position in the NBA and will likely end up playing a great deal of SF.

I think he played out of position at Baylor to be honest. He is a wing player in my mind that can defend the 4. I would draft him to be our 3. PJ III still has demonstrated skills to play at the next level so I think its worth some risk, but i might be in the minority here.

I think he played out of position at Baylor to be honest. He is a wing player in my mind that can defend the 4. I would draft him to be our 3. PJ III still has demonstrated skills to play at the next level so I think its worth some risk, but i might be in the minority here.

If we had the 7th/8th pick, I'd be all over PJ3. I too think he played out of position and will be a great 3 in the NBA but he is too risky at the 3rd spot of the draft. He could very well be the 3rd best player in this draft but I just can't draft him at 3 with Trob/Beal/MKG/Barnes being there for us.

let's face it, it is easier to find shooters in this league than it is to find top notch rebounders with Trob's motor and intensity.

I don't get this sentiment at all. Shooters need to be able to create their own shot because you can't succeed with a team full of spot of shooters.

If we had the 7th/8th pick, I'd be all over PJ3. I too think he played out of position and will be a great 3 in the NBA but he is too risky at the 3rd spot of the draft. He could very well be the 3rd best player in this draft but I just can't draft him at 3 with Trob/Beal/MKG/Barnes being there for us.

I like PJ3, and he could be the 3rd best player in the draft, but he could also be the 40th best. I think he could easily bust. I would rather not pick a boom or bust kind of guy, but if we do, I would rather it be Drummond. I think his ceiling is the best player in this draft, but I don't know if he will ever reach it.

Edited by lovetoaster

3 - He's probably not the best player available at #3

1. I haven't seen any reports that he is a sub-par ball handler. Where do you get that from?

2. It's never a kids fault that people make impossible to live up to comparisons. By all accounts he struggled for much of his senior year but played great down the stretch in big games.

3. What if T-Rob is gone?

I don't get this sentiment at all. Shooters need to be able to create their own shot because you can't succeed with a team full of spot of shooters.

Well if you see one in this draft, let me know. I guess I should add worthy of the 3rd pick. I think Beal is better at creating his own shot than people give him credit for but I think T-Rob is going to be better for the Wizards in the long run. It's T-Rob then Beal for me. I'd be happy with either, and I can live with MKG or Barnes.

Edited by SuperBash

Well if you see one in this draft, let me know.

I think Beal can be that guy. (plus they speak highly of his defense and rebounding) Austin Rivers is another guy people feel that can get his own shot and has a good shooting stroke. You are the one that said shooters are easy to find in the NBA especially compared to guys that can rebound so do the Wizards have any of these kinda shooters that are a dime a dozen?

I think Beal can be that guy. (plus they speak highly of his defense and rebounding) Austin Rivers is another guy people feel that can get his own shot and has a good shooting stroke. You are the one that said shooters are easy to find in the NBA especially compared to guys that can rebound so do the Wizards have any of these kinda shooters that are a dime a dozen?

They are easier to find, I just feel the Wizards haven't really tried to find good shooters for some reason or have had bad luck. I mean other than Mason, who have we really added with a consistent jumper? Lewis never had his heart in it for us, Crawford was always inconsistent, Mack never really had a consistent 3 point shot, Wall we all know about, Mike Miller had one for us for a little bit, and Martin and Almond are cast offs that can't really be counted on for huge minutes. This draft is susposed to be deep in the SG area with plenty of guys who can shoot like John Jenkins, Doron Lamb, Buford, O. Johnson, and Kim English. Find one in the 2nd or grab one in FA if you can.