Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

you are mixing up getting his shot off versus creating his own shot. He doesnt create anything for himself. When they had Larry Drew's son running point, he looked terrible and people were wondering what the hype was all about.

Then he transfers and Kendall Marshall is given the starting job, he starts looking like a good player again. Its not a coincidence. Last year in the tournament, the same thing happened. Marshall breaks his wrist and Barnes looks terrible against freakin Ohio.

You're right, he's not a creator. But he is a finisher with good scoring instincts. And about Larry Drew, yeah, it makes sense that he would start playing a lot better when the team goes from a poor PG like Drew to a great one like Marshall. The whole team started playing better.
Its one thing if dude was like Reggie Miller catch and shoot type, but he isnt good off the ball either.
I don't think this fair either. Barnes was pretty strong both freshman and sophomore season in catch and shoot situations. He's got a quick, high release, lots of confidence in his shot, and definitely isn't afraid to shoot high difficulty shots with pressure in his face. If he's got an open look, he's pretty automatic on that bottom right corner three.
And I didnt say Barnes was slow either, but he doesnt have any type of fluidness to his game. He is one of the most mechanical wing players I have ever seen at UNC. When I say he is not quick, I mean more of an acceleration thing. He doesnt have a great first step, which Paul Pierce and Rudy Gay have, and he isnt that quick laterally.
We disagree on points here. He's not quick and doesn't accelerate well but I think he's a fluid athlete with decent lateral movement, but he runs very well in transition and can get up court pretty quick for his size. He goes coast to coast pretty well and pulls up and drains the three with the best of them. That's an elite, NBA caliber shot, very tough to get that transition 3 to go in. That's something we could really use.

I disagree about Paul Pierce's quicks. I actually think he's got a very average first step. Plus he's a grounded player whose entire game is below the rim. If anything, Barnes is probably a better athlete. But Pierce is very strong and he's a phenomenal ball handler. I think Pierce is actually the kind of model that Barnes could look to for inspiration and development.

I live in ACC country and have seen Barnes play at least 40-45 games over the last two years. Ive watched a lot of his game, and that is what he is. He isnt an explosive player, not a good ballhandler and not adept at creating his own shot.
You're right, he's not explosive nor a great ball handler. But he's a good enough shot maker and his mid range game is so good that scoring isn't really a problem for him. Those kinds of skills project well to the next level.
In saying that, I think he could be a good scorer in the NBA if he is paired with a really good pass first point guard to make up for his shot creating deficiency. But if the Wizards take him at #3 I will be very disappointed

Ive watched Barnes

Well, we're fortunate in that the Wizards have a really good pass first point guard, so the issues with Barnes' lack of ability to create wouldn't be much of a factor. He wouldn't have to take on that kind of role here. His ideal role as a shooter and outlet are actually what we need. So what's the anxiety over the Wizards in particular taking him? He seems like a really clean fit.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2012/05/espnu-to-televise-2012-nba-draft-combine-june-7-8/

ESPNU to Televise 2012 NBA Draft Combine June 7-8

Over June 7 and 8 ESPNU will present eight hours from the 2012 NBA Draft Combine at the Flames Athletic Center in Chicago. Coverage will begin each day at 10 a.m. ET and will be highlighted by interviews with top draft picks, NBA and college coaches and general managers. The Draft Combine will also be available on ESPN3.

In addition to live reporting and analysis, viewers will get an inside look at how the expected top draft picks fair in the following skills challenges:

Standing Vertical Leap

Maximum Vertical Leap

Lane Agility Drill

Modified Lane Agility Drill

3/4 Court Sprint

Ryen Russillo will host the two-day event with analysis from the network’s college and NBA experts. Analysts Fran Frascilla and Jay Williams will contribute their in-depth knowledge of each draftees college skill set, while Andy Katz reports from the court.

In addition, NBA analysts Chad Ford and Tom Penn will provide expert knowledge and understanding of the needs of each NBA team.

Interesting trade idea Rashard Lewis for Okafor,Ariza and #10.

Wall-Mack

Crawford

Ariza-Singleton- Vesely

Okafor-Booker-Vesely

Nene-Seraphin

Nice big frontcourt and Ariza and Okafor defend both come off the books in 2014.

Wall-Mack

Crawford

Ariza-Singleton- Vesely

Okafor-Booker-Vesely

Nene-Seraphin

Nice big frontcourt and Ariza and Okafor defend both come off the books in 2014.

Absolutely no consistent perimeter shooting.

I'll pass on that one.

Wall-Mack

Crawford

Ariza-Singleton- Vesely

Okafor-Booker-Vesely

Nene-Seraphin

And this is without having to give up the #3????

If so, I'll personally drive Shard to New Orleans.

2012-13: $22,699,551.

2013-14: UFA

His contract can be bought out for $13.7 million.

Since I can't believe that New Orleans would give up the #10 pick without getting a future pick in return, I think I would rather just buy out Rashard and not take on more salary. Though I do kind of like Okafor....

If it was that trade Lewis, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'll come with to share the gas costs. You could go Trob and Lamb/Waiters/Ross/Rivers. Perfect draft imo.

We'll make Shard pick up the tab for gas LOL

But seriously...if that trade happened (and we took T-Rob +Lamb/Waiters/etc), I'd say anything less than 45 wins would be a disappointment.

That's still an insanely young team with two cast-offs from a lottery team.

An insanely young team playing in a wide-open Eastern Conference. I'd like their chances to reach 45 wins.

Wall

J.Lamb

Ariza

Robinson

Nene

with a bench of

Okafor

Crawford

Vesely

Seraphin

Singleton

etc...

An insanely young team playing in a wide-open Eastern Conference. I'd like their chances to reach 45 wins.

Wall

J.Lamb

Ariza

Robinson

Nene

with a bench of

Okafor

Crawford

Vesely

Seraphin

Singleton

etc...

That's not bad. Really young. Dangerously young. But not bad.

I do think that team would set historic lows for three point shooting though. There is no one person on that team with a jumper outside of a 20 year old rookie who shot 33 percent in college.

I would desperately be looking for a veteran scorer and if I had to dump someone, so be it. (Guess who my choice would be!!!)

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

That's not bad. Really young. Dangerously young. But not bad.

I do think that team would set historic lows for three point shooting though. There is no one person on that team with a jumper outside of a 20 year old rookie who shot 33 percent in college.

I would desperately be looking for a veteran scorer and if I had to dump someone' date=' so be it. (Guess who my choice would be!!!)[/quote']

I don't even know how this would work, but maybe the Rockets would be interested in a Jordan Crawford/Vesely for Kevin Martin swap. *shrugs* LOL

I don't even know how this would work, but maybe the Rockets would be interested in a Jordan Crawford/Vesely for Kevin Martin swap. *shrugs* LOL

The Rockets are holding onto Martin in a desperate attempt to package him for a "star." The Rockets already have 36 guys under contract who could all be valuable pieces to a championship level team. I don't see them trading for two more guys they need to develop.

The biggest problem for the Wizards is that none of their young guys really do anything that could help a team win right now. Vesely would not get minutes on the Rockets, yet alone the Spurs or Thunder or Lakers or Bulls or Celtics or any team that would be looking to win next year. They already traded those pieces when they sent Young and Javale packing.