Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Vesely looks weak but very promising. He's a keeper. He got backed down and shrugged off but frankly I think that's happening because he shouldnt be there. He's rotating in on PFs and Cs because Blatche and Turiaf are out. His game IQ, athleticism, and effort are great.

Crawford has played well, he might mature and prove to be a good bench scoring option.

Edited by Destino

Any coaches out there that want to run the triangle? This team needs a motion offense because they do way too much standing around on offense and waiting for someone to create.

The triangle would be a horrible fit for Wall. They stand around because the offensive sets are unorganized and the coaches allow them to play 1 on 1 and shotjack early in the clock. This team flatout recieves piss poor coaching and would do alot better under a vet organized coach like Sloan or Van Gundy.

We need a coach that will run a pick&roll, high ball screen heavy offense. We ran high ball screens like crazy againest Portland not sure why we did so much only in that game but that needs to happen more often.

The triangle would be a horrible fit for Wall. They stand around because the offensive sets are unorganized and the coaches allow them to play 1 on 1 and shotjack early in the clock. This team flatout recieves piss poor coaching and would do alot better under a vet organized coach like Sloan or Van Gundy.

We need a coach that will run a pick&roll, high ball screen heavy offense. We ran high ball screens like crazy againest Portland not sure why we did so much only in that game but that needs to happen more often.

It was kind of a joke, no one in the league runs the triangle anymore. It's just the most motion based offense that came to mind. Wall would be wasted running into a corner.

Any coaches out there that want to run the triangle? This team needs a motion offense because they do way too much standing around on offense and waiting for someone to create.

Oh, Christ. The Wizards have one real talent and you want to put him in an offense that essentially neutralizes all of his skills? That's insane.

Huge Vesely fan/believer. Not to start ****, but I do believe Ernie absolutely nailed this past draft

Me too. I thought every pick was the right choice given who was available. I even like Mack, who seems like a keeper.

I wanted Kanter or Valanciunas at six but that's not how the cards fell. I would have liked Bismack or Thompson at the Singleton pick, but both ended up going way higher than they probably should have.

That class had a lot of shortish players for their positions that limited their upside and we came out of the first round with two long guys who can develop merely into outstanding defenders in the worst case scenario. Not bad. If Vesely adds bulk and strength I think his ridiculous length is going to be a huge asset. He's an interesting talent.

Vesley could be a solid glue guy. I like how he stuffs the box score. He rebounds, gets steals, and blocks. If he can just get a consistent jump shot down he could be our AK-47.

The thing is, we absolutely NEED more offensive production from our Fs. I like Singleton, Booker, and Vesley but we can't start two of them unless we're getting All-Star like production from the other three spots which is unreasonable. I think all of three of those guys I mentioned will make quality backups, but you might get away with starting one of them at most.

Vesley could be a solid glue guy. I like how he stuffs the box score. He rebounds, gets steals, and blocks. If he can just get a consistent jump shot down he could be our AK-47.

The thing is, we absolutely NEED more offensive production from our Fs. I like Singleton, Booker, and Vesley but we can't start two of them unless we're getting All-Star like production from the other three spots which is unreasonable. I think all of three of those guys I mentioned will make quality backups, but you might get away with starting one of them at most.

You're probably right. Those three lay a good foundation and each seem like they can be a part of a really good 8 man rotation. But if we keep Javale and let Young walk, we still probably need to find the three other guys for that group. I think we can really start building something by getting good PF and a SG that can fill it up consistently and efficiently. Start Vesely at the 3, have Booker and Singleton in as your defensive subs/stoppers. Maybe Crawford becomes a decent bench scoring option down the road, hard to tell with his wildly inconsistent play. Mack seems like he'll be a quality back up point. Seraphin isn't an ideal backup option at C because of his size but we could do a lot worse.

I like the idea of drafting Davis / Robinson / Sully to be that PF and then move up to draft Brad Beal or Austin Rivers to be the starting 2 because of their offensive giftedness. Add them into the mix and that actually looks like a really nice ten man group.

PG: Wall, Mack

SG: Beal/Rivers, Crawford

SF: Vesely, Singleton

PF: Davis/Robinson/Sullinger, Booker

C: JaVale, Seraphin

Add a couple back end veterans and the team looks well rounded with the ability to grow into a cohesive unit with an enormous window, similar to what the Thunder managed. Remember, they used to be terrible once too.

Yeah whoever we draft definitely has to be a stud scorer above all else. We just do not have enough offensive production. I highly doubt we can end up with both a top flight PF AND Rivers though, as both are probably lotto picks and I don't see any team trading a lotto pick this year.

I'd love to trade Young for a 1st rounder though, even if it's to a playoff team.

Yeah whoever we draft definitely has to be a stud scorer above all else. We just do not have enough offensive production. I highly doubt we can end up with both a top flight PF AND Rivers though, as both are probably lotto picks and I don't see any team trading a lotto pick this year.

I'd love to trade Young for a 1st rounder though, even if it's to a playoff team.

that would be idea, being that he isn't going to re-sign here next year.

I don't think their is an elite NBA scorer in this draft.

I feel like this team shouldn't depend on the draft to provide an instant starter. The team needs to get older/more experienced an rookies should earn their minutes and mature in time. No more rookies growing up on the floor unless they earn it. Wall is going into year three. McGee if resigned is also looking at a productive portion of his career. We need a scorer FA added at two of SG/SF/PF. If we get a great draft pick at any of those fine but two of those positions should at least be capable NBA players.

The wizards shouldn't be a developmental team waiting around for young guys to learn. Vesely or singleton need to learn to shoot or be limited minute defenders. We can't have wings that can't shoot a mid range jumper. PFs need to rebound and be capable of defending PFs in this league. Vesely in there guarding bigs is ridiculous. The on court starters need to be able to play. The backups can be potential guys... Like a real NBA team!

I feel like this team shouldn't depend on the draft to provide an instant starter. The team needs to get older/more experienced an rookies should earn their minutes and mature in time. No more rookies growing up on the floor unless they earn it. Wall is going into year three. McGee if resigned is also looking at a productive portion of his career. We need a scorer FA added at two of SG/SF/PF. If we get a great draft pick at any of those fine but two of those positions should at least be capable NBA players.

The wizards shouldn't be a developmental team waiting around for young guys to learn. Vesely or singleton need to learn to shoot or be limited minute defenders. We can't have wings that can't shoot a mid range jumper. PFs need to rebound and be capable of defending PFs in this league. Vesely in there guarding bigs is ridiculous. The on court starters need to be able to play. The backups can be potential guys... Like a real NBA team!

Vesely is really a 3 in my opinion anyway. He defends the perimeter screen game very well and can stay in front of wings. The problem is he can't shoot but atleast he is'nt playing outside of his ability jacking shots. I think he will get more comfortable with time but he understands the game and knows how to play. He also plays hard all the time giving effort. We need more players like Jan in that regard.

We have to draft guys that understand basketball like Davis, Sully, Barnes etc.

I think we should hold onto NY1 as well he is'nt gonna get no huge offer from anybody. He is the only legit 3 point shooter and scorer we have so we let him walk when thats our biggest weakness to me that compounds the problem. I'm fine with our backcourt rotation we need to spend our energy in the frontcourt i'd say a 4 is our #1 need right now followed by a shooting wing.

I'd love to see a combination of Ryan Anderson in free agency and Barnes/MKG in the draft.

Or

Batum in free agency and Sully/Robinson in the draft.

I'm a huge Ryan Anderson fan and with him being 23 the sky is the limit. The kid shoots lights out sure he gets open looks but so do guys on this team. His rebounding will go up without Dwight and he can really spread the floor.

Edited by Samuels

Vesely is really a 3 in my opinion anyway. He defends the perimeter screen game very well and can stay in front of wings. The problem is he can't shoot but atleast he is'nt playing outside of his ability jacking shots. I think he will get more comfortable with time but he understands the game and knows how to play. He also plays hard all the time giving effort. We need more players like Jan in that regard.
Agreed. I think I said earlier in this thread that the only reason he's in there is because Turiaf and Blatche are out injured. Those guys are combo players at the 4 and 5, Vesely at this point is a high energy defender at the 3. Until he learns to shoot that's all he'll ever be because a wing that can't shoot isn't something you can keep on the floor for long.
We have to draft guys that understand basketball like Davis, Sully, Barnes etc.
Even high IQ players need time to adjust and frankly I think earning minutes breeds a better locker room mentality. They might start day one depending on what happens in preseason but there should be a veteran at every position. I think this team gets a new coach and I'd prefer the new coach have a team he can actually get some production out of.

I understand what you're saying, but this is the same kind of thinking that made us pass on Rubio in favor of Miller/Foye. If we have a chance at a rookie who can help this team (particularly Barnes), then I wouldn't hesitate to do it. Yeah, he'll have some growing pains, but his growing pains won't be nearly as bad as Wall's were because unlike Wall, Barnes (or whoever we draff) will have a more solid team around him, as well as a legit PG in Wall. The other thing to remember is the draft is before free agency. So whatever we can't get in the draft we can try to address in FA. But we shouldn't ignore the draft because we're already a young team.

Suns tonight. Still thinking about going or not. Phoenix handled the Lakers last night despite off nights by Nash & Morris. Gortat is REALLY playing well for the Suns, and their team shouldn't be too tired from last night. We'll see how well McGee can cover the high pick-and-roll tonight, and see if the uptempo pace provides some offense similar to the Portland game.

I agree with what you've said, unfortunately this free agency lacks scorers at those positions. The best we can do is overpay for guys like Milsap and Gordon and hope for the best.

that would be idea, being that he isn't going to re-sign here next year.

I don't think their is an elite NBA scorer in this draft.

I think Rivers might have that kind of potential but not the body yet. His ball handling and scoring array is really good for such a young player. He's got some Monta Ellis in him IMO.

I'd gladly take the kind of scoring output someone like Beal could produce. I'm really impressed with his total skillset.

I'd love to see a combination of Ryan Anderson in free agency and Barnes/MKG in the draft.

Or

Batum in free agency and Sully/Robinson in the draft.

I'm a huge Ryan Anderson fan and with him being 23 the sky is the limit. The kid shoots lights out sure he gets open looks but so do guys on this team. His rebounding will go up without Dwight and he can really spread the floor.

Ryan Anderson would be great with Wall on defense....a guy who can spread the floor and knock down the open 3 with consistency..this team lacks that (among many other things). I can't see Orlando letting their only offensive weapon go...especially after they lose Dwight Howard.

Batum is attractive as well (I'd actually rather have him because he isn't a liability on defense like Anderson is and I'd rather have Milsap) but there is no way Portland lets him walk...they'll have the cap space to match any offer.

Why is McGee not in the game? Two blocks, four points, two rebounds, and no fouls in four minutes and to the bench? Meanwhile Vesely is getting owned at center. Aaaarrrrggggg.

Gortat is now on a scoring fit... This team frustrates me.

Edited by Destino

I think Rivers might have that kind of potential but not the body yet. His ball handling and scoring array is really good for such a young player. He's got some Monta Ellis in him IMO.

I'd gladly take the kind of scoring output someone like Beal could produce. I'm really impressed with his total skillset.

I think the Rivers: Ellis comparison is spot on....which is the reason I wouldn't want Rivers. Rivers is an undersized 2 who wont be able to defend 2s in the NBA unless he hits a sudden growth spurt. I think Ellis is a horrible NBA player....selfish undersized two that lacks the passing skills to be an effective PG and he doesn't defend at all. He'll average 20+ per game and look good on the stat sheet...but he'll give up 30 and his team wont win. Rivers also has a huge ego problem and isn't a very good team player....I really don't like the guy (and I'm a duke fan)

I like Beal a lot as well. I don't think he is in the same mold as Ellis/Rivers even though he is undersized as well. I think you and I are equally as high on him...I think he could become a Ray Allen type player. Really nice 2nd best player on a championship team.

---------- Post added February-20th-2012 at 09:40 PM ----------

Why is McGee not in the game? Two blocks, four points, two rebounds, and no fouls in four minutes and to the bench? Meanwhile Vesely is getting owned at center. Aaaarrrrggggg.

Gortat is now on a scoring fit... This team frustrates me.

probably gassed...they really need to get his asthma under control