Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ted won't fire Flip because this is exactly what Ted wants: a complete rebuild. When you do that, you get performances like this. People forget the Capitals were terrible for a couple of years too before they finally broke through. It took a few years worth of draft classes though, and unfortunately for the Wiz, Wall is no Ovechkin. Ovie from day 1 was an elite NHL player. Wall is probably not even top 10 at his position right now(though I still like his upside).

Hockey and basketball are different though. The NHL has a real salary cap. It also isn't a league where you can have one man teams. At some point, the wallet book will need to come out. It's a star dominated league. Can't rely as much on the draft because you don't have a system of developmental leagues like in hockey. So, free agency will need to be key to the Wizards' rebuild.

Ted won't fire Flip because this is exactly what Ted wants: a complete rebuild. When you do that, you get performances like this. People forget the Capitals were terrible for a couple of years too before they finally broke through. It took a few years worth of draft classes though, and unfortunately for the Wiz, Wall is no Ovechkin. Ovie from day 1 was an elite NHL player. Wall is probably not even top 10 at his position right now(though I still like his upside).

Caps were a struggling team under Glen Hanlon until he was fired. Not saying the Wizards would have the same kind of turn around, but Flip is CLEARLY not the right choice of coach for this "rebuild." Honestly, I'd love to see Sam Cassell get a shot in the interim. Who knows...maybe we'd have a diamond in the rough like Frank Vogel is in Indy.

This is so hard to watch. These games are not even close and the team looks so confused on the floor. There is horrible spacing and little-to-no movement. On top of it all, certain players like Crawford and Blatche should have had reduced minutes, but keep getting PT for some unforsaken reason. I'd much rather see those minutes allocated to Shelvin Mack, Singleton, etc...we know that there are going to be struggles. At least let the young kids play and get some experience. For what they lack in ability, they'll make up for with desire/hustle. I can take losing...I really can. What I don't like is the piss-poor effort I'm seeing out of "established" vet (non-plural for a reason) which is sucking the life out of EVERYONE on the court.

*On top of it all, next year's FA class is weak if I remember correctly...I'm not sure what can be done realistically to get this team competitive. We're light-years behind squads like Chicago, Miami, New York, etc....also, in regards to Wall...elite PGs like Paul, Williams, Rose, etc have NEVER had it as bad as he does with the Wizards teams of the past two years that surround him. He may look at his peers and think about what things could be elsewhere. I hope that's not the case, but I wouldn't blame him one bit if he bails (if things don't get 100x better).

+1

I wouldn't be surprised if statistically, this squad so far is off to the worst offensive start in NBA history. This offense reminds me of the putrid play you see in NCAA games.

We're also kidding ourselves to think that Wall will stick around if things don't get better quickly. No loyalty in the "new" NBA. There may be a mantra of "patience" or "rebuild," but if things don't trend upwards VERY soon...we'll be right back at square 1, which is where we are now. There is A LOT of pressure on the FO, Ted, etc to get things right....there is a small window of opportunity and it will close if things aren't done correctly.

*On top of it all, next year's FA class is weak if I remember correctly...I'm not sure what can be done realistically to get this team competitive. We're light-years behind squads like Chicago, Miami, New York, etc....also, in regards to Wall...elite PGs like Paul, Williams, Rose, etc have NEVER had it as bad as he does with the Wizards teams of the past two years that surround him. He may look at his peers and think about what things could be elsewhere. I hope that's not the case, but I wouldn't blame him one bit if he bails (if things don't get 100x better).

Somehow, there is a player on this roster with worse shot selection than Blatche.

Way to go Jordan Crawford. Juan Dixon had better shot selection than him. It seems like the coaching staff has checked out as well. No interest in lineup adjustments or yanking players when they are playing like a bunch of selfish idiots.

Edited by No Excuses

Somehow, there is a player on this roster with worse shot selection than Blatche.

Way to go Jordan Crawford. Juan Dixon had better shot selection than him. It seems like the coaching staff has checked out as well. No interest in lineup adjustments or yanking players when they are playing like a bunch of selfish idiots.

I've said it every game, we look like a collection of 5 random guys thrown together for a pick-up game.

+1

I wouldn't be surprised if statistically, this squad so far is off to the worst offensive start in NBA history. This offense reminds me of the putrid play you see in NCAA games.

It really sucks when you think about it. I look at it this way:

Think of yourself working a 9-5 job. You're at the job for 2-3 years, and have had little-to-no growth professionally. You still go about your business, but if you can't see yourself advancing your career, what do you do? You start exploring your options and looking elsewhere. This is what I truly believe Wall's mindset is right now. We all know how competitive he is and how much he hates losing. What's the plan? What exactly can this team do to become competitive? Indy and Philly have seemingly become up-and-coming teams in the East. THAT is where I want this team to be. Not a laughing stock, which we are now.

The whole team stinks I don't think it's fair that Crawford and Dre gets all the blame even though they deserves some. Wall is shooting a pathetic % he just isn't effective at all, Nick Young is very streaky and he has be stinking up the joint. McGee got embarrassed but at least it was vs the best center in the league. Rashad Lewis sucks period contract or not, Saraphine and Mason Jr sucks. Booker plays hard but he isn't really that talented, Singleton has been playing solid defense so far but other than that he chucks up bricks from the 3 point line as a matter of fact I am yet too see him move any where inside the arc. The coaching sucks the team is just full of fail

Ted is a terrible owner. You will not win in the NBA by exclusively building through the draft, period. Instead of stockpiling "talent", why did we not package all of those picks and bring in a legitimate star like Rudy Gay.

This is a star-driven league and you simply will not win by banding together a bunch of good players (Nuggets, Grizzlies). You need to get stars and at all costs!!!

That was one of the worst games of basketball I have seen in quite some time. I mean no one even understands what a pick and role defense is. How is that possible? Wall can drive to the basket, but he can't finish nor can he pass to anyone's hands. Shot selection is increasingly terrible. Ugh, I am finding it harder and harder to explain why I watch this team play when someone walks in

HOW DID WE GET THIS MUCH WORSE IN ONE OFFSEASON????

this blows my minds, we suck so much harder than last year. I will be amazed if we win over 10 games this year.

Ive been watching every wiz game for the past couple years even though they sucked. Ive never seen them down by 20 literally every single game this season..

They are un watchable

Wall needs to stop being so passive he's supposed to be a "franchise player" he needs to start playing like one..

This upcoming draft is it. Our 1st round pick is going to decide what the next decade holds for us. We need to hit, and we need to hit on a STAR.

That's the key to winning in the NBA.

You guys are so freaking negative.

I have been saying this all along.

Cleveland got lucky with Lebron.

Maybe we get lucky at some point.

Otherwise it's the curse of les bulez

I didnt see the game but a quick glance at the box score tells me they still can't shoot. It's hard to blame Blatche and Crawford when none of these guys can shoot. McGee got dominated by the looks of it but I expected that. Do the wizards have a shooting coach? They need to tell players to show up early and stay late with one.

HOW DID WE GET THIS MUCH WORSE IN ONE OFFSEASON????

One word: lockout. This is not just a young team, they're an immature team in age, attitude, and basketball prowess. They need all the practice and coaching they can get.

I think tonight's game was one of those games that just snowballed out of control. We got off to such a poor start and before you knew it, we were down 10+ and it just spiraled out of control. Any little bit of adversity just shatters this team's confidence. If they fall behind early it's basically over.

chipwich you are the definition of a troll dude...but that's neither here nor there

This team has to have the lowest combined basketball IQ in recent history...John Wall plays like a failed AND 1 mixtape player nowadays. If this team didn't redo the color scheme and sucker me into believing the "new traditions" bull****, I would get this angry. For some reason, i thought they could be average...damn was a wrong.

It's not just Blatche...it's about 95% of the entire organization.