Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Brooks is a good coach. Not a great one, but good enough to get us to the next level. His strength is reaching and developing young players. We're probably not going to sign some big name FA, so the way we move forward is by having Beal and Porter make the leap. Oubre too eventually. Looking like those three plus Wall are the core of the roster since they're our only long term pieces, unless Keef becomes a mainstay.

I've made my peace with a Brooks hire. I support it. And I'm just ignoring Grunfeld's existence at this point, so that I can feel good about the team. Depending on what we do with our cap space this summer, I'll actually look forward to next season.

Speaking of our cap space, we're in a surprisingly good spot post Kieff trade because we have four out of five starters signed already, and Beal is an RFA. We have team control on our starting five for the next two summers--during the period of wild cap fluctuation. Porter, Gortat, and Keef are all on super team friendly deals. So that means we have a ton of money to pursue high quality role players to fill out the rotation. I want to see us keep Sessions, at a minimum. And I want us to sign Ryan Anderson to time share PF with Morris. Then I want a back up C that is a rim protector and rebounder. Bismack Biyombo? Dewayne Dedmond? We need a high motor rebounder on the bench and I think back up C or a swing forward is the natural spot to find one.

I'd also like to get at least one ultra competitive vet who can be an anti-Nene. Someone who backs the coach up and keeps our young guys from getting lazy or distracted. I want Joakim Noah, but his inability to stay healthy makes a second unit front court of him and Ryan Anderson untenable. I want someone with a personality similar to him somewhere on our bench. Preferably more than one.

• Like 2

Scott Brooks is being hired to lure Durant.  They aren't out there scouring the world for the best possible choice, not that Ernie ever would, but everything he's done for the last two season has been with singular goal in mind.  They think hiring his old coach gives them an edge. 

I would like this if it didn't piss me off so much.  This year was completely lost as part of the "all in for Durant" plan.  It's so obvious there isn't a plan B, I have to "C'est la vie" myself from one day to the next with this nonsense.  I just keep telling myself "There are Browns season ticket holders".

Ted has one of two ways to get ANY of my respect back: 1) We sign KD. 2) When KD signs elsewhere, he slaps the **** of Ernie and chases him out of the building with a baseball bat. That's it at this point.

Y'all don't really think you have a realistic shot at KD anymore do ya?  I just see him jumping to an actual contender in the west, not east.

Part of the culture of half-assedness that characterizes Ernie's Wizards.

He almost never makes the best move. It's always a "good enough" move. Something that most of us here could arrive at with a moderate amount of work, little to no vision, and by taking a highly risk averse approach.

I say almost never because I do think the Oubre pick was a swing for the fences choice that showed an un-Ernie amount of vision to make. The safe, lower upside, risk-averse move was picking Bobby Portis.

Wouldn't it have been nice to do what Minnesota did? Hire a great coach and San Antonio's assistant GM at the same time. That is a transformative move. Made a year into the KAT era, so he won't toil away with a subpar coach and front office for the first half of his career. Plus he might already have his sidekick in Wiggins.

God damn. That is a rebuild done right. That kid is going to end up being the next Duncan.

Wouldn't it have been nice to do what Minnesota did? Hire a great coach and San Antonio's assistant GM at the same time. That is a transformative move. Made a year into the KAT era, so he won't toil away with a subpar coach and front office for the first half of his career. Plus he might already have his sidekick in Wiggins.

God damn. That is a rebuild done right. That kid is going to end up being the next Duncan.

Yup...it's beyond frustrating.  However, Thibs has A LOT of power.  However, someone other than Ernie calling the shots might not be the worst thing in the world. 

I don't like how we've only targeted Scott Brooks.  It's like Brooks or bust at this point.  And we ALL know why he's the top candidate. 

I dont think Brooks is all that bad. Years back i blamed OKC's futility on his style of coaching, but am backtracking furiously while watching Westbrook and Durant do the exact same thing under Donovan. I would much rather have him than Hornacek, thats for sure. I dont particularly think he's being signed to lure Durant, but he would be yet another connection in our growing network of KD affiliates. It cant hurt.

This league is run by the top 5-8 players (see Boston/Toronto/Detroit in playoffs) We would be stupid not to try everything in our power to grab one of them.

Durant and Westbrook didnt leave Kendrick Perkins in to play heavy minutes when the Heat went small and killed OKC.

He also didnt give a completely finished Derrick Fisher 20 minutes a night.

Durant and Westbrook got issues, but Brooks is a terrible coach.

• Like 3

Scott Brooks is a bum and I can't believe that's who we want.

replacing Wittman with Scott Brooks. A B- move for a B- franchise.

I want to be in your class when you become a teacher. If you think this is a B- move, you must be easy on the grades.

This is a D move. Only thing worse would've been keeping Witt and Ernie.

Durant and Westbrook didnt leave Kendrick Perkins in to play heavy minutes when the Heat went small and killed OKC.

Maybe, but then again Fisher was hitting 3's unconsciously in the playoffs. Add to that the fact that bug eyes was choking all over the place. Not a surprise that hes doing nothing for Charlotte in the playoffs this year.

Perkins is the reason I blamed OKC's failures on Brooks. Terrible move, but he isnt the guy who signed Perkins to that contract. That came from upstairs. Anyways, we are seeing the exact same struggles and offensive flow issues as we did when Brooks is the coach. So, imo the problem is either:

1. Westbrook

2. Durant

3. Neither, but they both can not coexist

4. Donovan

Im hedging my bets on no.3. They would both be better off separate.

Garrett Temple about to see his minutes increase lol

• Like 2

Maybe, but then again Fisher was hitting 3's unconsciously in the playoffs. Add to that the fact that bug eyes was choking all over the place. Not a surprise that hes doing nothing for Charlotte in the playoffs this year.

Perkins is the reason I blamed OKC's failures on Brooks. Terrible move, but he isnt the guy who signed Perkins to that contract.

I dont care what Fisher was doing, the guy was 37 years old. He also played Fisher big minutes for another 2 years. You didnt see the Heat play Ray Allen big minutes when he got old.

Thats more of a case as to why Brooks sucks by pointing that out.

And he may not have given Perkins the contract, but he played him big minutes when his usefulness in the NBA was over. (literally after the 2013 season)

He also does not adjust his rotations and for some reason did not think you could have either one of Westbrook and Durant on the court for 48 minutes. It took Donovan until February to figure that out.

came from upstairs. Anyways, we are seeing the exact same struggles and offensive flow issues as we did when Brooks is the coach. So, imo the problem is either:

1. Westbrook

2. Durant

3. Neither, but they both can not coexist

4. Donovan

Im hedging my bets on no.3. They would both be better off separate.

OKC has a bad roster and Donovan is not a good coach either. Ultimately, Presti has been exposed but dont downplay Brooks being bad too.

This demand for Brooks across the NBA is so confusing because we all saw him mess up. HE has no offensive philosophy. That works in 1996 or even 2006. It does not work in 2016.

Interesting fan reaction on Brooks to Wizards. Just wondering: A lot of people are assuming Thibs will learn from year away. Why not Brooks?

If Brooks ends up w/$7 million/yr, he'd be tied w/Carlisle for largest salary among coaches that don't double as president of basketball ops

Hey now... OKC does not have a bad roster at all. They have two should-be mvp players if not for the ridiculous season Curry is having, as well as a great rim protector who can spread the floor, and two great young bigs that have different skill sets. I wish Ernie was gone like the rest of us, but im so so tired of beating that drum. It aint happening. Im tired of being upset about it. He's going nowhere. Since that isnt an option, you can forget about a Thibs type of deal happening here. I would be perfectly ok with Brooks building up our young players and getting locked in to an 8 man rotation that includes said young guys, rather than Temple/Thornton/Gooden/Webster/Butler......... etc.

Fisher played because of injuries and locker room discontent. He was a reliable role player. Much like Temple has been for us. He is not going to make or break your team. That team ran through Westbrook and Durant, much like it does now, and thats all that matters. Other teams have gotten away with less ( Iverson/76ers). Perkins was a terrible play, but im willing to forgive that. As long as he comes in here and plays our core guys: Wall, Beal, Otto, Oubre, Morris.... and works on developing our perimeter shooting role player, Jarell Eddie, Im all for him coming here.

Hey now... OKC does not have a bad roster at all. They have two should-be mvp players if not for the ridiculous season Curry is having, as well as a great rim protector who can spread the floor, and two great young bigs that have different skill sets. I wish Ernie was gone like the rest of us, but im so so tired of beating that drum. It aint happening. Im tired of being upset about it. He's going nowhere. Since that isnt an option, you can forget about a Thibs type of deal happening here. I would be perfectly ok with Brooks building up our young players and getting locked in to an 8 man rotation that includes said young guys, rather than Temple/Thornton/Gooden/Webster/Butler......... etc.

Fisher played because of injuries and locker room discontent. He was a reliable role player. Much like Temple has been for us. He is not going to make or break your team. That team ran through Westbrook and Durant, much like it does now, and thats all that matters. Other teams have gotten away with less ( Iverson/76ers). Perkins was a terrible play, but im willing to forgive that. As long as he comes in here and plays our core guys: Wall, Beal, Otto, Oubre, Morris.... and works on developing our perimeter shooting role player, Jarell Eddie, Im all for him coming here.

OKC's roster stinks. THey have no 3rd scorer except Kanter, who comes off the bench and is a bad defensive player. Their best defensive lineup is their worst offensive lineup (Robertson).

Dion Waiters gets big minutes from them. Its a bad roster and Presti sucks.

Fisher was cooked. HE played for another 2 years and got big minutes. Nah.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin