Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

My guess is Randy wanted to keep the bench rotation the same because they'd found a pretty good groove.

Gooden for Nene was an on the fly adjustment suggesting the injury caught them by surprise. I think you will probably see an adjustment to the rotation next game. Humphries might start.

Curious about Porter's injury. Hopefully it was just a minor thing and he'll be back next game, because we do need him.

My guess is Randy wanted to keep the bench rotation the same because they'd found a pretty good groove.

Gooden for Nene was an on the fly adjustment suggesting the injury caught them by surprise. I think you will probably see an adjustment to the rotation next game. Humphries might start.

Curious about Porter's injury. Hopefully it was just a minor thing and he'll be back next game, because we do need him.

I thought I saw Porter go to the ground late against Cleveland, but he popped back up and walked it off. Maybe it flared up on the flight to Milwaukee.

Good win. Impressed by the team's resilience. Down 15 on the road? No problem!

When Nene got hurt, why did Gooden go directly from not playing to starting? Why not start Humphries or Seraphin, then bring Gooden in off the bench?

Humphries is instant energy off the bench. Better to start Gooden.

Nene has plantar fasciitis again. I'm not saying it's because he's out of shape. I'm not not saying that either.

Good thing we signed all them bigs! (And Seraphin decided to play like he belongs in the NBA)

I think it's because he didn't rest the foot in the offseason instead of playing for Brazil this summer. PF injuries need rest.

For once, injuries don't make me panic. We have depth this year. Edited by pjfootballer

True, you don't play for 2nd best. I mean, yeah in hindsight with how bad this franchise has been for quite a while, it would be a bright spot, but then again, we "settled" for one Stanley Cup appearance and a Presidents trophy from the Caps and now their window has closed. Get it while you can.

Even going back to last season, there's a part of me that would have thought we would have lost that game after being down 15.  This team is growing up, fellas.  It's been a long and painful ride over the past few seasons, but man....our suffering as fans (finally) seems like it's going to pay off.  Said it before the season, but this is as deep of a team in the league.  In addition, Randy has grown along with every other guy on this roster.  He's the perfect fit for this team. 

I think it's because he didn't rest the foot in the offseason instead of playing for Brazil this summer. PF injuries need rest.

He fully recovered from it last season and he's not shown that he's doing the things he needs to to stay healthy. With that injury plaguing him he should have lost weight (common action taken by NBA player over thirty) but he looks heavier to me and much slower. He also should be stretching it daily and switching up his shoes or insoles to reduce the strain, and I've heard nothing about either happening. His decline in free throw shooting is probably also do to a lack of commitment and reduction in practice.

I just get the impression that he's not adjusting to age well.

• Like 1

Officially in Wiz mode. Phone and comp wallpapers have been switched.

I haven't set a virtual foot in a stadium thread in weeks, unfollowed anyone who tweets about the Redskins and pro football in general, and didn't a watch a single snap of the game today. The soap opera that is pro football just isn't doing it for me anymore. It's six days of mind-numbing coverage and grown men parsing every single word of pointless press conferences all for 11 minutes of action in 60 minutes of game-time spread out over 2.5 hours.

People complain about they're being too many games in the NBA but at this point I appreciate the constant barrage of games nightly, it seems to help prevent the kind of journalistic stupidity and "hot taeks" from fans that currently plague the NFL.

Edited by EvilMonkeyBoy

1st time in over 20 years I've missed a Redskin game simply because I had no interest in watching them. Clearly I didn't miss much.

I caught the second half... regretted that decision.  It's not just that they are bad, the offense is so bad that they make even a close game boring. 

I watched it but didn't take much of it in. I've been almost totally apathetic for two years, frustrated for a lot longer than that. The Redskins are boring. Ineptitude is boring. If/when they lose RGIII I'll stop watching them altogether because there is no helping them. I'd be rooting solely for a change in ownership. The Redskins are one of the worst organizations in the NFL and I have no hope for them.

Even when the Wizards were terrible for the first two and a half years of Wall's career, they were compelling and I never really lost hope for them. I've always believed in Wall and I've always believed that Ernie and Ted--flawed as they are--possess a minimal level of competency allowing them to at least get out of their own way.

Now our patience is being rewarded and we've got a good team full of likable players that play smart basketball and have a legit chance at making a run to the Finals. I have zero expectation of getting that from the Redskins. I only watch football because I enjoy seeing the game itself. I'm basically divorced from all of the passion of having rooting interests for games.

I haven't set a virtual foot in a stadium thread in weeks, unfollowed anyone who tweets about the Redskins and pro football in general, and didn't a watch a single snap of the game today. The soap opera that is pro football just isn't doing it for me anymore. It's six days of mind-numbing coverage and grown men parsing every single word of pointless press conferences all for 11 minutes of action in 60 minutes of game-time spread out over 2.5 hours.

People complain about they're being too many games in the NBA but at this point I appreciate the constant barrage of games nightly, it seems to help prevent the kind of journalistic stupidity and "hot taeks" from fans that currently plague the NFL.

Yeah the NFL is over-saturated as hell. The cottage industry of football analysis for laymen is sooooooo boring. The NFL has long since become an 800 pound gorilla that takes itself way too seriously. They became king and they did it by watering down the presentation and culture of the game to achieve the broadest possible appeal and now the product is just hideously stupid, bland, and omnipresent.

There's a lesson in that for the NBA. Keep the sport for basketball lovers. Let players be themselves. Let personalities matter. Don't over-saturate. Keep the games moving along, advertise on the jerseys if it prevents incessant stoppages for commercials. And always, ALWAYS keep a strong union for the players that can stand as a real check to the power and greed of the Owners.

• Like 2

Also, take a page from baseball and never abandon your history. We've got heated arguments in the NBA threads about the status of great players from 50 years ago in relation to each other. That's the passion the NBA's history inspires. The NBA loves it's history and so do the real fans. The NFL is just a churning wheel where nothing matters from ten minutes ago. There is no sense of history or significance at all. Just a bunch of random, forgettable outcomes in seasons of tiny sample sizes where nothing is ever really learned or recorded.

• Like 1

Keep the sport for basketball lovers.

Exactly. 

Isn't appealing to your key demographic a big rule in marketing anyway? Appeal to the real fans, and the sheep shall follow the herd. NFL forgot that a long time ago. (Or however long Goodell's been Commish)

Edited by STBonecrusher21

And always, ALWAYS keep a strong union for the players that can stand as a real check to the power and greed of the Owners.

This will never happen in any sport not the MLB. The owners know their players generally live above their means, and even a little work stoppage will have them putting pressure on their union to give in to unreasonable ownership demands in order to get paid again. 

This will never happen in any sport not the MLB. The owners know their players generally live above their means, and even a little work stoppage will have them putting pressure on their union to give in to unreasonable ownership demands in order to get paid again.

The NBA already has a strong player's union. NBA player wages are generally the highest in Pro Sports. LeBron James says there is no place for Donald Sterling in the NBA and the man is out soon after. The star players are practically GMs.