Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Wizards problem over the last decade is that we haven't been bad enough to be really good one day. Until hitting the lottery last year.

For example, I HATE Michael Jordan. Absolutely hate him. I think he set this franchise back a decade. And not because of Kwame (let's be real, that was a **** draft. One of the worst ever.) I hate him because he came back on his bull****, look at me I'm still awesome at 40 retirement tour. Instead of sucking like we were supposed to do, we were winning 40 games and drafting 10th overall. In the 2002 draft we drafted 11th and took Jeffries. Not a great raft but we missed out on Yao, Dunleavy Jr, Nene, Amare at 9 and then Caron at 10. The next draft is what killed us. We finished 37-45 and just missed the playoffs with Jordan leading the way. Jordan was fired before the draft--one of the best things Abe ever did--but still, the damage was done. Instead of sucking and having the number of lottery balls we really deserved, we were drafting 10th and took Jarvis. Players we missed on? Oh just...Lebron, Melo, Bosh, D Wade and even Kaman. Now imagine where we would be today if we had sucked like we were supposed to do that year?

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 11:45 PM ----------

This is what I'm afraid will happen if/when the Wizards become good. I'd rather have a small fan base of knowledgeable fans than have potentially more people watching this team, driving up the total of # of idiots who come in here posting as if they knew what they are talking about.

I'm with you. But I'll take the idiots for some wins. It'll be rough but I'll know who was there from the beginning and who jumped on the bandwagon.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

This is what I'm afraid will happen if/when the Wizards become good. I'd rather have a small fan base of knowledgeable fans than have potentially more people watching this team, driving up the total of # of idiots who come in here posting as if they knew what they are talking about.

Can we keep this place from being wizards extreme please. That place is annoying at best.

If you did a search you would see I've been loyally posting about the Bullets since I joined this forum. Even in the now defunct Washington Basketball forum.

For the record I am being cynical, if you couldn't notice, about Wall. Dude is nice. But the history of this organization causes me to be bitter. I hope he balls out of control for the next 17 years here in DC. I'm sure he'll be a baller. It's just my instincts from years of sucking that causes me to think otherwise.

If you did a search you would see I've been loyally posting about the Bullets since I joined this forum. Even in the now defunct Washington Basketball forum.

For the record I am being cynical, if you couldn't notice, about Wall. Dude is nice. But the history of this organization causes me to be bitter. I hope he balls out of control for the next 17 years here in DC. I'm sure he'll be a baller. It's just my instincts from years of sucking that causes me to think otherwise.

I love when the young guys are bitter. I have been watching since their last championship, over THIRTY years ago. You have no reason to be bitter :ols:

Since I've been home from school I get the local games ie. Wiz/Caps/Skins you know.. I'm trying to take interest into the Wizards like I do for the Caps/Skins/Nats but man this team is tough to watch. Lol. Is this team just not disciplined enough? or is the talent not there? I feel like any professional team should be able to win atleast once on the road. Would a coaching change really help turn this team around? Esp on the road?

I think he set this franchise back a decade.

Disagree.

He is the ONLY reason Abe Pollin opened his wallet. MJ showed Pollin that DC could sell out a stadium. No other player did that in THIRTY years. He showed Pollin there was money in ticket sales.

MJ made this franchise legit.

Like him or not, he changed the potential of the franchise.

I love when the young guys are bitter. I have been watching since their last championship, over THIRTY years ago. You have no reason to be bitter :ols:

Haha I hear ya chipwich. I've suffered my whole life as well though. Kwame Brown, Ike Austin (what a great trade that was), getting rid of Webber for Howard. It's been frustrating to say the least.

I could say that for every DC sports team though. :( At least I will always have the Terps championship from 2002! Big game tomorrow huh? And of course Super Bowl XXVI...when I was 10 haha.

It's annoying dude. He's a rookie. He's gonna have some bad games and some hiccups but he's still setting records as a rookie. And yet you're ****ing about him and hating. Just step back and see what happens before you go all negative.

I dont get why anyone who says anything about wall is instantly a hater. Is it unreasonable to be disappointed with a starter going 2-10 for 4 points and 3 TO? Sure we can expect growing pains, but that doesnt mean we cant get upset about in along the way. Dont attack the guy for being disappointed. We are all disappointed that our teams suck.

Haha I hear ya chipwich. I've suffered my whole life as well though. Kwame Brown, Ike Austin (what a great trade that was), getting rid of Webber for Howard. It's been frustrating to say the least.

I could say that for every DC sports team though. :( At least I will always have the Terps championship from 2002! Big game tomorrow huh? And of course Super Bowl XXVI...when I was 10 haha.

Big game tomorrow. That is for sure.

Abe Pollin was a terrible owner. He traded youth for scrubs and never understood the value of a winning franchise.

It's not the GM, it's the franchise.

You have to give new ownership a chance.

In addition, in the NBA you need luck. Cleveland was the dredge of the NBA. They lucked into Lebron, but couldn't reach pay dirt.

The lakers and celtics win most of the NBA championships.

It's a flawed system.

Don't hate on Wall or on the GM or the coach. You have to walk before you can run. We have to learn how to walk first. And hope for a little luck.

And BTW, the lottery is FIXED.

Disagree.

He is the ONLY reason Abe Pollin opened his wallet. MJ showed Pollin that DC could sell out a stadium. No other player did that in THIRTY years. He showed Pollin there was money in ticket sales.

Eh, sucking like we were supposed to and getting a star like Melo or (ugh) Lebron would've done the same. And it would have eventually happened with Ted.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 12:07 AM ----------

I dont get why anyone who says anything about wall is instantly a hater. Is it unreasonable to be disappointed with a starter going 2-10 for 4 points and 3 TO? Sure we can expect growing pains' date=' but that doesnt mean we cant get upset about in along the way. Dont attack the guy for being disappointed. We are all disappointed that our teams suck.[/quote']

There's a difference between being disappointed and being a troll.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 12:10 AM ----------

And endless nitpicking negativity in all things is arguably the most annoying thing a "fan" can do. The Stadium is awash in that bull****. And thus I very rarely go there. Especially during the season.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 12:13 AM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mN3OGRGybA

I guess I can't embed that video. Just click on it to go to youtube. And for those that can't, here's the breakdown:

In this version of the video I cut out all the crap and cut straight to the fix.

00:00 - Jack Wagner is instructed to "gingerly" place the seven envelopes into the drum. The fourth envelope he holds contains the NY Knicks logo. The material of this envelope is much flimsier than the rest.

00:06 Wagner slams it against the side of the drum, much differently than the way he places the other six envelopes into the drum, visibly bending the corner. He has likely practiced this dozens of times to ensure he can bend the corner on cue when the time comes

00:25 The drum is rotated several times to mix the envelopes. Sterns eyes are intently searching for the Knicks envelope the entire time

00:38 Stern unlocks the drum himself, taking time to look through the drum and try to find the envelope. It is no coincidence that Stern unlocks the drum himself. This gives him valuable seconds to examine the contents. Before reaching in he takes in a deep breath. He spots it. Luckily the bent corner is sticking straight up in the air when the drum stops, however he sees that two other envelopes are laid on top of it

00:45 Stern wades through the envelopes of the likes of Sacramento and Golden State, to find the bent envelope of New York and complete his magic trick in front of a dimwitted audience of writers giddy at the newboard concept of the draft lottery. In his head Stern is surely a nervous wreck, and possibly seems a little shrill by the awkward way he is forced to grab the envelope by the way it is covered. He flips the envelope upside-down, perhaps to hide the bent corner the best he can from the cameras closeup view

00:48/00:49 Pause the video here. David Stern is clearly looking at the bent corner as he flattens it with his thumb as best he can

00:50 Watch Sterns LEFT HAND very carefully. This is the part you couldnt see in the old Youtube video. Watch him stroke the corner with his index finger repeatedly, over and over, attepting to straighten it out, as he holds the envelope up high for the world to see. Clearly he is trying the smooth out the overly bent corner.

The rest of the video is history as Debusshere celebrates and holds up the #33 Ewing jersey that we would become so familiar with for the next 15 years. Though a championship never came out of it, it enabled New York back into playoff contendership after the career ending injury of Bernard King, and led to the massive streak of sold out games at Madison Square Garden throughout the 1990's and 2000.

I honestly believe that Stern decided to hook it last year because he was good friends with Abe and Irene was our representative. And he hooked it in 2001 because MJ was a part of the franchise and Stern probably had early word that he was thinking about coming back.

Agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

If the draft lottery was rigged, why would SAN ANTONIO win it in 97 to get Tim Duncan and not Boston, which would have made more sense?

The rumor was because Stern is a Knicks fan and didn't want a player that good going to Boston. Then again, he didn't stop any shady dealings that got KG to Boston, or Gasol to LA.

Disagree.

What? This franchise is NOT legit. This franchise was on the right path toward being legit as the Bullets in the mid- to late-1990s (with the Fab Five). Nothing that has happened since then save for a couple playoff losses to the Cavs has even approached legitimate. MJ may not have set them back a decade (I don't think that's even possible in the NBA), but he didn't make them anything.

Michael Jordan made the Wizards relevant for about 2 years. Following the idiotic trade of Webber, this franchise was in influx for a while. The best thing to happen to this franchise after the Webber ordeal was when Mike said he was stepping out of the suite to lace up the kicks again. Immediately, there was a ridiculous circus-type of atmosphere at the then MCI Center or whenever the team played on the road. It's been a roller-coaster ride here in DC...full of ups and downs.

Hindsight is 20/20, but Abe Pollin...giving a gimpy Gilbert Arenas a 111 million dollar contract perfectly capsulates what this franchise is. With the new ownership taking over, I hope the ship gets headed in the right direction. We have a great building block in Wall, and hopefully in 3 years or so this team goes from laughingstock to perennial competitior for the EC crown. It can happen.

Disagree.

I don't see where you are coming from on this one....before Jordan was here we had Jujuan Howard, Chris Webber, and Rod Strickland......so Abe had spent money in the past.

I'm with GOCOLB, Jordan was one of the worst things that ever happened to this franchise. He is just another classic example of great player gone wrong as an executive. Are there any former star players out there who are really good GMs or presidents of basketball operations?

Tell me about it. I was 10 when they won it in the spring of 1978 and 11 when they failed to repeat the following year.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 02:08 PM ----------

Difference between Chipwhich and myself vs you is, you mention players like Ike Austin, Webber and Kwame Brown. We look at things like Bernard King, Gus Williams, Moses Malone, Calbert Cheaney, Tom Guggliotta, Muggsy Bogues etc. See Chipwhich's post below which pretty much describes what kind of team Pollin was always trying to build. He wanted veteran players, former stars that were washed up to try to sell tickets.

I can remember in the 80s watching ads on TV and ads in the newspaper that would say, "Come to the Capital Centre to watch the Bullets take on Patrick Ewing and the Knicks, Michael Jordan and the Bulls, Larry Bird and the Celtics or Magic Johnson and the Lakers." He always marketed the OTHER team and not his own. He had Unseld (who I think he was WAY too loyal to over the years) draft sideshow players like Bogues and Bol. It was more of a disaster then anything you've seen now. I HATE that Pollin was so loyal to Unseld. Wes did nothing to deserve the loyalty. Horrible GM, more horrible coach and equally horrible team President.

Big game tomorrow. That is for sure.

Abe Pollin was a terrible owner. He traded youth for scrubs and never understood the value of a winning franchise.

It's not the GM, it's the franchise.

You have to give new ownership a chance.

In addition, in the NBA you need luck. Cleveland was the dredge of the NBA. They lucked into Lebron, but couldn't reach pay dirt.

The lakers and celtics win most of the NBA championships.

It's a flawed system.

Don't hate on Wall or on the GM or the coach. You have to walk before you can run. We have to learn how to walk first. And hope for a little luck.

Agree 100% with "everything" you said in this post. I don't see how anybody can refute any of this.

Edited by pjfootballer

Agree 100% with "everything" you said in this post. I don't see how anybody can refute any of this.
Except the lottery being fixed.

---------- Post added February-4th-2011 at 07:03 PM ----------

Gil returns to Verizon tonight.

Except the lottery being fixed.

You don't think the lottery has ever been fixed?

Anyway, this team needs less Blatches and more Bookers. I didn't get to see the game tonight (work) but I listened to the whole thing on the radio. They kept talking about how all Booker talks about is how giving effort is everything. That he knows for sure, night in and night out, that the one thing he can bring to the team is hustle and effort. They get overshadowed by Wall for obvious reasons, but I think Booker and Seraphin are just as big a sign of things to come. Ditch the soft, prima donna losers. Starting with Andray Blatche.

I also don't think Javale is gonna turn out how we envision it. Glenn Consor loses his **** often, but tonight Dave Johnson went crazy when Javale got a steal and then dribbled up court, went 1 on 3, drove into the lane and turned the ball over. Javale is just a dumb ****. If you're not there mentally, all the athletic ability in the world won't amount to a damn thing outside of a stray highlight play a couple of times a week. And it's a lock he embarrasses himself at the dunk contest.

Anyway, this team needs less Blatches and more Bookers. I didn't get to see the game tonight (work) but I listened to the whole thing on the radio. They kept talking about how all Booker talks about is how giving effort is everything. That he knows for sure, night in and night out, that the one thing he can bring to the team is hustle and effort. They get overshadowed by Wall for obvious reasons, but I think Booker and Seraphin are just as big a sign of things to come. Ditch the soft, prima donna losers. Starting with Andray Blatche.

I also don't think Javale is gonna turn out how we envision it. Glenn Consor loses his **** often, but tonight Dave Johnson went crazy when Javale got a steal and then dribbled up court, went 1 on 3, drove into the lane and turned the ball over. Javale is just a dumb ****. If you're not there mentally, all the athletic ability in the world won't amount to a damn thing outside of a stray highlight play a couple of times a week. And it's a lock he embarrasses himself at the dunk contest.

there was one play where Booker ended up on the floor as orlando was getting ready to run on offense. Booker got up, ran down the play and blocked Arena's shot into the stands (after our defense parted like the red sea to let him in). Blatche's out of shape ass would've never considered such a thing would be possible

McGee is who he is, all the physical tools to be great, with the basketball IQ of a middle school child. he'll need to be replaced in the future, but we got bigger fish to fry than him at the moment

Edited by StillUnknown