Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think it was Charles Barkley who said that even though Blake Griffin was hurt last year, he got invaluable experience watching games, practices, film sessions, etc...

SM....even though he didn't play particularly well yesterday....Harrison Barnes did do some things that impressed me. He played some tough D, scored a tough 2 inside, etc. I'm not completely sold on him (yet), but the upside is there. I saw a comparison to his Frosh year so far and Paul Pierce's at Kansas....there are some big time similarities. Like I said before...he's a guy to keep an eye on as the season winds down.

*I was VERY impressed by UNC even with the loss last night. With more experience, they don't lose that game.

Yeah it wasn't Barnes' best game. He just isn't assertive enough with his shot IMO and is too quick to defer offensively to the bigs. Henson is a good player, but I don't think he's got the same offensive skill as Barnes. But I agree, Barnes gives a nice total effort and he doesn't make very many dumb plays and plays good defense without fouling. One thing that we should keep in mind is that he does have some upside at the wing since he's only played there since he was a H.S. senior and is used to playing in the paint.

I think you're right about UNC's promise. Marshall is the key. For just a freshman, he's got a firm command of running the offense and he's finally the PG they need to facilitate their offense. They haven't had that kind of player since Lawsom IMO.

If UNC can keep Marshall, Barnes, Henson, and Zeller together for next year, they're going to be extremely dangerous and compete for the championship. Bullock will stay too. He'll be a good player eventually too.

The key to their future is getting Henson and Barnes to come back for another year. I don't think Zeller leaves early and Marshall won't. The problem with Barnes is that it's in his interest to leave this year if he has a solid tournament. He's still a lottery lock because of what he did as a high school senior. But next year's class will be stacked with small forwards. He won't get picked as high next year as he will this year unless he has an utterly dominant sophomore season.

Since I a) work nights and B) drive for a living, I listen to a lot of the Wiz games on the radio. Trust me, Flip absolutely kills Blatche in the pregame interviews. Every single game. It's like the standard opener for Wizard games on the radio at this point.

Not sure why he doesn't do it in the postgame interview.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I wouldn't give Nick Young anything more than a 3 year extension.

One thing that really irked me was in the post-game. I was reading some of Flip's comments and he didn't hold too much back in assessing Javale McGee's play. I don't have an issue with calling a player out, but if you're going to do it to him infront of the media, then you should be doing the same with some of the other guys. *cough* Blatche *cough*. I don't get the coddling of AB...at all. McGee does some really dumb things over the course of a game...however, so does Blatche. Big time double-standard IMO.

Maybe McGee can take it but Blatch can't. Maybe Blatche is too emotionally fragile to handle public scrutiny. We've been talking about his "maturity" for a long time. This could be more evidence of that.

Maybe McGee can take it but Blatch can't. Maybe Blatche is too emotionally fragile to handle public scrutiny. We've been talking about his "maturity" for a long time. This could be more evidence of that.

This is exactly it. A fan on facebook made fun of him so Blatche felt it was necessary to go on 106.7 and defend his ****ty play. Then he further embarrassed himself by being a self admitted finesse player. I've honestly never heard of a big man who actually wants to be considered finesse. My take on McGee is that he has small periods of awful play which causes Flip to completely destroy him in press. But McGee almost ALWAYS responds with strong games. He's gotten better at this over the years as well, he's no where near as inconsistent as he was. My guess is that with a better PF next him, he'll elevate his game even more.

Blatche simply can't deal with the criticism or pressure. When the team gave him his current contract, they expected him to step up as one of the leaders. Instead he totally wilted under pressure and is having a historically ineffecient season.

I can't believe I used to defend this bum.

63% shooting at the half is part of why the Wizards are in this hole.

Ugly game though.

Its funny though because I used to get so upset when we'd be down this much in games but I've gotten to the point now that I don't even care that much anymore. I'm a Wizards fan and will always be that but at the same time I've almost become apathetic watching them outside of John Wall

God, I can't take another season like this . . . . I am tired of having players who lack any sort of basketball IQ. Besides for John Wall, do we have a player with even average basketball IQ? Seriously. Do we?

I knew this season would suck. We all said it. But god, this is just horrible.

Lets get a top 5 pick and a new coach and then I need to start seeing improvements. I need to a .500 team next year.

God, I can't take another season like this . . . . I am tired of having players who lack any sort of basketball IQ. Besides for John Wall, do we have a player with even average basketball IQ? Seriously. Do we?

I knew this season would suck. We all said it. But god, this is just horrible.

Lets get a top 5 pick and a new coach and then I need to start seeing improvements. I need to a .500 team next year.

I'm praying for Jared Sullinger or Harrison Barnes as our pick. As for guys with IQ's we have them but they seem to be sitting on the bench. I don't know why Seraphin isn't getting a lot of playing time but yet Blatche continues to get it while making stupid mistakes.

If the Wizards land a top-5 pick, Harrison Barnes SHOULD NOT be in the equation. They need a TRUE low-post scoring presence in the worst way. Sullinger should be the target. If he's off the board, Kanter or Derrick Williams wouldn't be bad options. As a matter of fact, if the Wizards are looking for a SF, I'd take Terrence Jones over Barnes 10x out of 10.

Anyways....that game last night was awful. First time I can remember turning a game off after the 1st quarter. What saddens me is seeing a guy like DeJuan Blair dominate and get buckets/boards whenever he wanted. It's not like we had a chance to draft him...oh wait, we did. SMH. He's the exact type of player we needed on this team and he slipped right through our hands and landed in SA where their FO, once again, looks like geniuses.

I don't know how it couldn't be any more apparent....but this team has tuned out/quit on Flip. I'm actually hoping that the Wizards get blown out tonight. Maybe then changes will be made to get another coach in here that the players would respond to. I'm all for giving Sam Cassell an interim tag for the remainder of the season.

Well...let's see what happens tonight. Ugh....

I think Flip Saunders is going to get fired if they lose to the Cavs.

God, I hope so.

Honestly, I think after last night and then the post game quotes. You need to fire Flip. I'm not saying you hire a name right now. You promote an assistant to finish the year. Flip is way out of touch with how these guys need to be taught. Just focus on the fundamentals right now.