Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Ariza has done something that generally NBA players don't do at his age. He has considerably improved his shooting which is galvanizing his game. I usually say an NBA player is who he is around 26 years old. Any improvements thereafter are incremental but not game changing (Unless you are LBJ/KObe like with work ethic). Ariza has CONSIDERABLY improved his 3 pt shooting. That was my biggest gripe with the guy when trading for him. That he was a brick house. I give him props for proving me wrong...but I think we'll see in due time...he isn't going to be able to sustain 43% 3 pt shooting considering his career norms are 33%. I think he'll settle in around 38-39% maybe an off chance at staying in the 40% club...but it is just insane to me how much he has improved. 

I mean outside of LBJ and Paul George, how many SFs in the east are definitively better then him right now?

Melo...and...I can't think one guy absolutely better then him at the SF spot.

It's fun watching the Wizards play now, Wall has found that balance in scoring and assisting takes quickly turning him into a top 5 point guard in the league. The confidence that he is showing in his offensive game from everywhere on the floor 3 point, mid range and taking it to the rack is really taken his game to the next level. NOW LETS KEEP IT UP

• Like 1

I don't think Ariza has to be traded for us to improve in other areas. I think we can move pieces like Singleton (esp if he continues to play well), Ves, Booker and 2nd rd picks for low upside but proven vets or salary dumps so that we can sign guys like Beaubois / Pierre Jackson and Camby / Kwame Brown (yes) in their stead.

I don't think Ariza has to be traded for us to improve in other areas. I think we can move pieces like Singleton (esp if he continues to play well), Ves, Booker and 2nd rd picks for low upside but proven vets or salary dumps so that we can sign guys like Beaubois / Pierre Jackson and Camby / Kwame Brown (yes) in their stead.

The regulars who post in this thread have slightly less value than our bench pieces.

I would LOVE to have Kwame on the bench but he's a 100 year vet of the NBA so I'm sure he'd be at least 2 million a year.  He'd be better than Seraphin who this season has become a complete disaster.  Until Grunfeld and Wittman are shown the door I hope the only young players that need to be seriously developed (read: great athlete lacking basketball skills of any kind) are unwilling to work with the team in the offseason.  Vesely went home and he looks he could make a career out of rebounding and hustle plays.  Seraphin stayed and he's turned into Calamity Kevin.  

If we want to make a deal, look to T. Mozgov on Den. He's on a completely reasonable contract and playing very good basketball. I'd offer Ariza+'15 2nd for Moz and Andre Miller/Nate

Our 2 biggest needs would be addressed. Backup PG and Backup Center. 

What possible reason would Denver have for making that deal? They get one year of a decent guy at a position they are already deep at and lose a good backup PG and backup C.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

What possible reason would Denver have for making that deal? They get one year of a decent guy at a position they are already deep at and lose a good backup PG and backup C.

they have 3 pgs, they don't need Miller on the books. McGee is the "franchise" center so no trade could be made until he comes back, We would probably have to bring in a 3rd team and offer up more expirings. A lack of a SG is the biggest glaring problem with Den.  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wizards/washington-wizards-top-draft-pick-otto-porter-jr-nearing-return-from-hip-injury/2013/12/04/820042fa-5d3f-11e3-bc56-c6ca94801fac_story.html

Washington Wizards top draft pick Otto Porter Jr. nearing return from hip injury

The Wizards (9-9) practiced for nearly two hours, but Wittman held back his starters and let his reserves scrimmage most of the time, getting some much-needed competitive repetitions. Porter moved around without any complications and even stood out offensively, according to observers who were impressed by the accuracy of his jumper.

“I did miss. But I tried to make the majority of my shots,” Porter said. “I feel good for the first time, just going up and down. I don’t know about [playing] Friday, but I feel like I’m getting more in shape. I’m better aware with the plays. Right now, I’m building up my confidence back.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Reading that article with the Wizards time line in mind, Otto will be back for the last 10 games of the season.

I just broke the trade machine.

Three team trade:

Wizards get:

Jeff Green

Jeremy Lin

Sullenger

Houston gets:

Rajon Rondo

Otto Porter

Celtics get

Asik

Ariza

Veseley

So basically the Rockets hit the jackpot, the Wizards get more bad contracts and injury prone players and the Celtics get a bunch of stiffs. Great trade.

I just broke the trade machine.

Three team trade:

Wizards get:

Jeff Green

Jeremy Lin

Sullenger

Houston gets:

Rajon Rondo

Otto Porter

Celtics get

Asik

Ariza

Veseley

That's a crazy deal. I think the bottom line that would make it not work though is that Boston gets too little back in return for Rondo and Sullinger. They'd need to get something excellent back.

It's pretty lopsided in Houston's favor if Rondo gets back to the player he was and Porter ends up being the guy we think he will be.

And I don't think the Wizards can deal Porter at this point. We don't know who he is yet, and you just can't take the risk of dealing him off when he could end up being something special. I've always thought he was something of a 6'9 version of Beal. We need to keep that if that's the case, because he could be the third foundation piece of an actual contender.

But if you ignore that, then the Wizards do get back some really interesting pieces in that deal. Sullinger already looks like a huge steal for Boston, he's a really nice player. Like a poor man's Kevin Love. Jeff Green is pretty good, but kind of expensive. And Lin would be a pretty rich option off the bench (though he's expensive too).

But again, Asik and getting out of Jeff Green's contract with Ariza's 7.8 million expiring aren't enough for Boston to give up Rondo and Sullinger--currently the two best players in the deal. Though I think Porter's upside could make him the second most attractive player in the deal. Boston would need to be the ones to end up with Porter as a start and they'd probably need draft picks. There was a point not too long ago when a Rondo for Westbrook swap straight up seemed fair. But then if Houston loses Porter and only ends up with Rondo and a small expiring, their risk profile becomes very large at the moment. What if Rondo isn't the same any more?

And I still prefer for the Wizards not to give up on Porter yet.

Also another consideration that came up several years ago when I said Dwight should sign with Boston is that Rondo + Dwight can't be on the court together late in games because of the FT shooting.

Houston would say yes quicker than anybody in the world.

Yeah they'd essentially upgrade Lin to Rondo merely for the price of a guy everyone knows they have to trade. And get rid of two enormous contracts for next year. And get a #3 overall rookie in the process. The only downside would be if Rondo comes back like Derrick Rose. But even then, Porter and getting rid of those two contracts easily makes it worth it for them.

The risk profile for Boston and Washington is too much IMO. The Wizards would have to gamble that Sullinger is going to be a better player than Porter really. And I don't know if I'd agree with that yet. Plus his back issues from last year are a little scary. And so are the health issues that Jeff Green has had, plus his deal isn't the greatest. If Sullinger ends up being worse than Porter, then we don't have cap space and we gave away our third most valuable asset. And Lin is expensive for a third guard, especially in uncapped money next season. The team would be nice and complete looking for this season. But frankly Wall and Beal are not ready to carry a contender yet.

I don't know, I just don't think we can make that move right now without knowing more about Porter and Sullinger.

Boston's best bet IMO is to hold on to Rondo but maybe prolong his comeback and keep Sullinger's minutes fairly limited and start taking. If they get a very high pick, they can quickly rebuild around Rondo and Sullinger and that guy. Or if the pick is Dante Exum or Marcus Smart, they can deal Rondo this summer in a package specifically designed to get back the most possible value for him. There will be teams near contention that would want Rondo.

It's a crazy deal and you can play around the edges. The idea is that Houston needs to trade Asik. Boston may want to dump Rondo and Washington needs a bench.

I also think all of you are sleeping on exactly how good Jeremy Lin is and how well he has played this year. The Wizards back-up PG goes from Maynor to one of the 20 best players at his position in the league. It's a massive massive upgrade and would utterly transform the second unit. 

Also, his contract is weird. Yes, it's $15 million in cash next year, but it's only an $8 million cap hit.

Yes, the Rockets may "win" the trade, but they are also trading their starting point guard and someone they had wanted to be their starting power forward. 2/5 of the opening night starting lineup of a team that wants to contend for a title is a lot.

I actually think Boston gets short-changed ultimately.

The issue with the Wizards is that they are trapped in a short-term/long-term vortex. They suddenly might be able to make an argument for being the third best team in the dreadful East. The East isn't always going to be this bad, so if you want to make a run, this may be the year to do it. And they really aren't situated to get better going forward.

1.The Wizards have two options: Stay put and accept that this is your team for pretty much the next three years.

2. Gamble big to make a run this year.

Option 1 may actually be enough for this year. Hell, all it takes is for Paul George to break his wrist or Dwyane Wade to have some knee swelling and the East is there for anyone.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

If Porter isnt the answer at SF, the Wizards should make a move for Parsons. I think he is a FA this offseason. He good.

Even if Porter should struggle, they won't make any definitive declarations on him by the offseason. They'll blame the injury and him not being up to speed with the rest of the team and give him another year to prove his worth. The team gave Vesely multiple years to show anything, they'll likely do the same with Porter.

We should be done adding SF's, we need frontcourt depth and better backup pg more than anything right now.

• Like 1