Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

J. Michael

‏@JMichaelCSN

Ariza's last 2 games: 15-for-19 overall, 9 of 10 on threes. #WizardsTalk #WizMagic #NBA

Ariza has awesome chemistry with Wall. This might be the best situation Ariza has been in as far as his individual performance goes. He's getting so many favorable looks and he gets to let it rip on defense.

If we trade him, we'll probably be selling high. His next team would probably get lesser performance out of him.

Wall makes the game so much easier on offense for the rest of the team.

Hopefully the bench (singleton in particular) builds off this win and when we really need some points from our bench, this game isn't just fools gold.

After decisive wins like that, hope for Ernie's kids starts to kindle again. Wouldn't it be nice if one of them finally emerged?

Denver is actually alright. We can beat them in DC but it won't be easy. ATL on the road won't be easy either. We definitely need to beat Milwaukee at home though. That's a must win IMO.

3-0 over the next three would be awesome. We could finally get a little cushion.

On the whole, the only game in the month of December that looks like a probable loss is against the Clippers. We'll lose more than that of course. But we should have a solid chance to win almost every game.

Unless someone really important gets hurt...

Gortat being interviewed by Consor right now (and I can actually hear it). Asked him what the big difference is between now and the start of the season. Said he got in John Wall's head and was able to convince him the pick and roll offense can be deadly and John buying in. Said he's been amazing. Said Nene is at 60% and is still great because his basketball IQ is so high. Talking now about him talking to John about the things Steve Nash would do and John listening and buying in.

• Like 1

That was a great game. I mean, just what I needed after watching the Skins game last night. We're 500, but I want more. I want 50+ this year.

I guess tomorrow Steve Czaban has to talk Wizards on his morning show.

50 wins would be awesome but I think it'll be pretty tough to get there. We're going to have to majorly step up our level of play and stay pretty healthy. Basically, we'll have to keep winning like we have the past seven or eight games.

My initial prediction was 47 wins with an upside of 50. After the poor start I thought 43 or 44 was more likely. But now I can see 47 again. Especially if we do some work in December and go something like 8-3 in the month.

Gortat being interviewed by Consor right now (and I can actually hear it). Asked him what the big difference is between now and the start of the season. Said he got in John Wall's head and was able to convince him the pick and roll offense can be deadly and John buying in. Said he's been amazing. Said Nene is at 60% and is still great because his basketball IQ is so high. Talking now about him talking to John about the things Steve Nash would do and John listening and buying in.

I can't overstate how much I enjoy having Gortat now. Playing with guys like him would be a ton of fun. He's been a pleasure to watch thus far.

We have to bring this guy back. He's the perfect fit here. Right place right time. I would rather pay to keep Gortat than go chasing some max money FA this summer and then use the difference in money for something else.

I'm all for keeping Gortat as well, although I would like to keep it to a 3yr deal if possible. 

Probably took Wall a minute to get used to seeing someone actually roll to the basket. Okafor would usually screen and wait to shoot a mid range shot.

Edited by StillUnknown

Yea Gortat has been great this season. But seeing as we only have 15mil available next year (a large chunk of that should go to him), probably no 1st round pick, a handful of players at the end of their contract, and MAJOR holes in our bench, we have to figure something out by the break. Ariza's stock is soaring. He is great on this team. But we cant resign him, and we desperately need a bench going into the playoffs/next season.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

I'm all for keeping Gortat as well, although I would like to keep it to a 3yr deal if possible.

Probably took Wall a minute to get used to seeing someone actually roll to the basket. Okafor would usually screen and wait to shoot a mid range shot.

And for whatever reason Nene just doesn't thrive in the PnR with Wall. Before Gortat we didn't know if Wall was comfortable running the PnR and now we know he wasn't the issue. The team is still getting used to it because a Gortat is open moving free to the rim a lot more often than he actually gets the ball.

Much is made of where does John Wall rank among point guards. They were talking about it on Wizards radio after the game. Looking at stats Wall ranks in the top five (of point guards) in assists, points, rebounds, and steals. That's pretty damn good.

Much is made of where does John Wall rank among point guards. They were talking about it on Wizards radio after the game. Looking at stats Wall ranks in the top five (of point guards) in assists, points, rebounds, and steals. That's pretty damn good.

I heard that and kept thinking exactly this. People can argue his game's pros and cons but they can't argue the stats, especially the fact that he's got like 4 (or 5) guys playing with him that are all having career years thanks in large part to him.

We won't and shouldn't resign Ariza next year. It should be Webster/Porter for SF next year. With any long term vision, we trade Ariza the moment a team calls with a good offer. 

Doubtful though, Ernie isn't trading one of his better players.

I go back and forth on this. On the one hand, right now Ariza is fairly essential to us winning games. Plus he seems like a good dude and I like rooting for him.

On the other hand, you're right, we can't keep him this offseason. He deserves his 7+ million a year and we can't afford to pay both him and Gortat, especially when we've got two other options at SF.

But we can also use his expiring money ourselves, so we don't have to deal him.

Bottom line, we can't deal him right now when we're so undermanned. We need Porter and Beal back IMO or else we lose too much shooting/scoring.

In the end, I think I'd keep him and use his expiring to trim salary unless someone offered us something really good before the deadline. Something that would have some long term value.

Then again, this team is currently in third place and still has a ton of untapped upside in Beal and Porter. They might be a move or two away from a special season.

If you take a gamble that Porter can replace Ariza's production this year, and it works out, then you've got a good chunk of house money to play with. Swap Ariza for a quality big or third guard and suddenly the team is very balanced.

It's a gamble though. The 2013 draft class has been awful thus far. Porter would have to play well above his peers despite missing everything early on.

Also not sure he can shoot NBA threes yet.

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/wake-call-porter-could-play-week

Wake-up call: Porter could play this week

Today the Wizards are off, but rest assured players will be at Verizon Center to get up shots and treatment to heal their sore muscles. While Bradley Beal and Al Harrington are still out, rookie Otto Porter is on the cusp of getting his first game action vs. the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday. 

Porter, the No. 3 overall pick in June, returned to practice last week after being out since Sept. 13 with a right hip flexor strain. He has been practicing, though the Wizards haven't had much time on the court after playing four games in five days last week.

The lingering question is about Porter, who the Wizards have avoided talking much about since he went down before training camp. That coach Randy Wittman is now attaching a possible timetable to his return is significant. He has until Friday to assess Porter's fitness and grasp of his system.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Otto is the key to being able to trade Ariza. If he flashes well during games, it would make the decision to trade Ariza easier. Ariza's been big for our team so far, but we can't resign him and it would be nice to get something of value for him.

Edited by StillUnknown

Porter has big shoes to fill. Ariza is likely the teams best defender and he's been productive on offense this season. Porter will need to at least be able to stay in front of his man and hit an open shot next season to avoid taking a big step back. This season I just hope he's better than what we've been getting from the bench. It would be nice to have someone that can score in the second unit.

Otto is the key to being able to trade Ariza. If he flashes well during games, it would make the decision to trade Ariza easier. Ariza's been big for our team so far, but we can't resign him and it would be nice to get something of value for him.

Someone on RealGM suggested an Ariza for Ilyasova swap. Thoughts?

My take is that'd be a good deal if Ilyasova got healthy first. It'd mean giving up cap room for the next couple years if we brought Gortat back too. But a healthy Ilyasova would help insulate us against Nene's Achilles. That thing is a bomb waiting to go off and ruin our season and he needs to be able to rest.

But Ilyasova isn't healthy right now. And as you said, we can't move Ariza until at least Porter, and preferably Beal get back.