Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

PG:  Wall -  Maynor 

SG:  Beal - Rice Jr. - Temple

SF:  Webster - Porter - Ariza 

PF:  Nene - Booker - Singleton 

C:  Okafor - Seraphin - Vesely 

So will we see a tighter rotation this year or will we continue to see virtually the entire roster get minutes every game?  

I can see everyone getting minutes except for Singleton, Temple, Ves, and GRJr.  In the case of GRJr., I think he's really going to come on towards the end of the year and force himself in the rotation.  I have a great feeling about him. 

I think Rice will get minutes earlier.  The D League is more NBA-like than the NCAA is and he's a great athlete.  I don't think he's going to score as easily in the NBA, that much is certain, but he shouldn't have as painful a transition as Beal did last season or Porter will this season.  

PG:  Wall -  Maynor 

SG:  Beal - Rice Jr. - Temple

SF:  Webster - Porter - Ariza 

PF:  Nene - Booker - Singleton 

C:  Okafor - Seraphin - Vesely 

So will we see a tighter rotation this year or will we continue to see virtually the entire roster get minutes every game?  

Barring injury, it should be a much tighter lineup. I think they'll try to rotate the 4 & 5 spots often to keep Nene healthy as long as possible. Nene's health/minutes conservation is another reason I really hope we can get a better backup than Booker.

Edited by StillUnknown

I can see everyone getting minutes except for Singleton, Temple, Ves, and GRJr.  In the case of GRJr., I think he's really going to come on towards the end of the year and force himself in the rotation.  I have a great feeling about him. 

I think Rice will get minutes earlier.  The D League is more NBA-like than the NCAA is and he's a great athlete.  I don't think he's going to score as easily in the NBA, that much is certain, but he shouldn't have as painful a transition as Beal did last season or Porter will this season.  

Good point....

Let me ask you....if we trade for Blair, how do you think he fits into the rotation?  Rebounding monster - but can't defend or really score.  He's limited....but if it means getting him at the expense of guys like Singleton/Ves/Booker, then so be it. 

Edited by RonArtest15

Good point....

Let me ask you....if we trade for Blair, how do you think he fits into the rotation?  Rebounding monster - but can't defend or really score.  He's limited....but if it means getting him at the expense of guys like Singleton/Ves/Booker, then so be it.

The Spurs don't want him at all so I'd offer them a 2nd round pick or Singleton. I wouldn't offer Booker because I think he's a decent backup PF, especially if he's the third man at the spot.  Singleton has no role with the Wizards.  He's not as good of a PF as Booker and he's like 10th in line for SF.  Vesely... I think you have to let him play out his 3rd year because he was such a high pick.  If he fails, as we all expect him to do, then just let him walk and keep the cap space.  This is not to say that if Vesely were part of a deal for a better player that I would turn it down.  I'd trade him in a heart beat for a good player.  

Hopefully Porter has a Beal-like epiphany sometime this season when it comes to putting the ball on the floor. Really struggles trying to get his own shot.

Beal never had that epiphany he still struggles. When asked on 106.7 what he felt he needed to improve he immediately said creating his own shot and his handles in general. It's the NBA though, rookies take three years to make big improvements.

I'm interested in seeing what Beal looks like at the end of 2014-15. I think his handles and alll around game will be much better by then.

Hopefully Porter has a Beal-like epiphany sometime this season when it comes to putting the ball on the floor. Really struggles trying to get his own shot.

Beal never had that epiphany he still struggles. When asked on 106.7 what he felt he needed to improve he immediately said creating his own shot and his handles in general. It's the NBA though, rookies take three years to make big improvements.

I'm interested in seeing what Beal looks like at the end of 2014-15. I think his handles and alll around game will be much better by then.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. With Beal I was referring his sudden ability to knock down open shots at a ridiculous clip after two months of bricks. Certainly his handles aren't there yet. Definitely agree that he'll get there.

Edited by MonkFan8

I realize it's preseason and that's the time to experiment, but why do the wiz insist in playing people out of position?

Because Wittman is bad coach and Grunfeld is a bad GM. Neither of them understands what confidence is and how its built or diminished. The idea no doubt is to put him at the 2 so that he can work on creating his shot and dribble the ball more.

Edited by Destino

How did Porter look?

Hit his first two shots, struggled a bit after though. Nothing to be really concerned about, they had him playing a role he hopefully won't be asked to do much in the regular season. Also the pg play was pretty bad so it wasn't really possible to get a read how he would do within the offense.

The only thing that stood out is that he needs to get bigger, but we knew that going in.

Edited by StillUnknown

I'm going to assume the coaches had a lot of input on who took shots being that Rice and Otto lead the team in shots. If that's true Vesely should have been encouraged to shoot more. I thought he shot well.

Anyone know how much Singleton weighs now? He looks bigger.

Also that was an ugly ugly game. The wizards point guard play was horrible.

Edited by Destino

Beal's definitely not a slasher. But he's an effective and smooth ball handler that picks his way around the floor into open space. Beal doesn't have to be able to get all of the way to the rim against a set D to be a scorer because his jumper is his first option and it's very dangerous. All he needs is a screen or to catch the ball with a little space to get a good shot.

I think the most we can realistically hope for with Beal is that he becomes effective with mid range pull ups, perfect his two dribble game, be able to run the fast break some, and be strong with his perimeter drives where he doesn't really have to change direction or speed much. He'll get better at those as he gets physically stronger. He's not really bad at those things right now. He can get better.

Midrange pull up and a variety of floaters are the deadliest shots a guard can master! Beal isn't Kobe/Jordan size so I never imagined him dunking over bigs with a look of fury on his face. Beal needs to dribble well enough to get shots by using screens, play the pick and roll, force contact to get to the line, and make defenses pay for trying to chase him off the three line.

I feel asleep on it, but I did like what I saw from Porter and Rice, Jr. If they can stay healthy, wiz have a legit big 3 (Wall, Beal, Porter) to build around and contend. Porter has a great wingspan for tapping balls in traffic and a nice shot. I know it was the first game, but that was a good pick.