Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't mind the signing, I mean did everyone see the Thiago Splitter contract? Yikes.

9 million a year for 4 years. 36 million. Watching him fail entirely against the heats terrible interior defense and actually catch the ball In the paint with his back to a GUARD and fail to hit rim was amazing. The guy has no power game at all. Might be the softest center I've seen.

Still his contract isn't huge by center standards. Centers are insanely overpaid.

• Like 1

I don't mind the signing, I mean did everyone see the Thiago Splitter contract? Yikes.

9 million a year for 4 years. 36 million. Watching him fail entirely against the heats terrible interior defense and actually catch the ball In the paint with his back to a GUARD and fail to hit rim was amazing. The guy has no power game at all. Might be the softest center I've seen.

Still his contract isn't huge by center standards. Centers are insanely overpaid.

The " big man" tax is real

I hope not because that will mean that Beal'a a bum. Is 5 million a year really back up money in the nba? I really need to figure out how to engineer a late life growth spurt.

It's a lot of money for a guy the team is hoping will be a back up. Jamal Crawford, a much better 6th man, makes 5 million a year.
I don't have an issue with the money at all. I thought Martell deserved the full MLE. The years are what worry me. I don't like the idea of giving four year deals to guys who aren't your core big three type players. I think you should maintain some flexibility in the role players around your stars.

But I think we did right by Martell and it was a situation where both sides wanted to get something done and it would have been a mistake that we would regret for a while if we let him get away. Martell made himself a core member of the locker room and was just a better fit here than anywhere else.

I don't have an issue with him making as much as Jamal Crawford. I'm not convinced Crawford is a helpful player. He's the type that doesn't totally contribute to winning basketball, like Jordan Crawford. He has very good ISO scorer with solid, if streaky shooting range. But he also has a tendency to ball stop and gun and he can't really do anything else but score. His game can look really really bad if he's not playing on a team that's already very good. He is also not a worker. I remember hearing that he never worked on his game in the offseason before last summer. Just spent the summers playing street ball more or less. So there is some knucklehead factor in him--he and Nate Robinson are just the most successful players of that type in the NBA.

I would actually rather have Martell at the full MLE than Crawford for this team. He's got all of the intangibles and he fits well as an off the ball scorer and he's a brilliant shooter. Plus he plays hard on the glass and on defense, really sells out his body to make plays.

On Maynor, I like the move a lot. I think he's a quality backup PG. Was worried about that position going into next year and I think he's pretty good. A creative player that should be a good part of an 8 or 9 man rotation and help the second line offense with Martell. Maybe by the end of the year GRJr comes in as the SG and you can do group subs and still have enough offense at the PG and wings to not get killed with the back ups.

I think the next move logically is to deal Ariza back to the West Coast. I think that would be best for both sides at this point. I wouldn't mind seeing a package of him and young guys to bring in a quality rotational big man. At this point, we're really hoping Booker can stay healthy or that the lightbulb comes on for Seraphin, neither of which make me comfortable.

Steve - my only worry about the contract is Webster's health.  IF he can stay healthy, I have no doubt he'll live up to the terms.  Did you see these stats? 

Webster shot the ball extremely
well in a bounce-back year, as he emerged as one of the top three-point
marksman in the league with a conversion rate of 42 percent. The team's
success shooting the ball with him on the court was staggering, as
their 3 pointing shooting percentage rose to 38.9 percent (per
nba.com/stats) with him on the court, which places them behind just
Miami and Golden State for third in the league. He shot 44 percent in
spot up situations from three as well as 52.5 percent on transition
three's per MySynergySports.com, an ideal player to pair alongside the
passing deftness of John Wall.

Link

Not only did Webster shoot 42.2 percent from 3-point land for the
Wizards last year, but he shot a scorching 49 percent from the short
corners, according to NBA.com's stat tool, making him an elite converter
of a very efficient shot that Washington point guard John Wall generates in bunches through his drive-and-kick game. Plus, as Mike Prada of Wizards blog Bullets Forever noted,
Webster's preferred corner (the right one, where he knocked down 58.5
percent of his looks last season) mirrors the sweet spot of rising
sophomore sniper Bradley Beal, who drilled 57.1 percent of his tries
from the left corner.

Link

Those numbers are CRAZY. 

Edited by RonArtest15
  • Like 1

Shooting certainly pays the bills.  Redick 4 years 27 million.  Webster 4 years 22 million.  Tony Allen 4 years 20 million.   Defense just doesn't get the money offense does in the NBA.  Tony Allen is probably the best out of those three players and played a major role on a playoff team.  

Shooting certainly pays the bills.  Redick 4 years 27 million.  Webster 4 years 22 million.  Tony Allen 4 years 20 million.   Defense just doesn't get the money offense does in the NBA.  Tony Allen is probably the best out of those three players and played a major role on a playoff team.  

don't forget Budinger 3/16. 

J. Michael

‏@JMichaelCSN

Garrett Temple has signed a 1 year deal worth just under $1 million #WizardsTalk #NBA

pretty much guarantees Cartier Martin won't be back

Cartier was a one-trick pony...Temple, is extremely versatile.  Glad to have him back. 

J. Michael

‏@JMichaelCSN

Garrett Temple has signed a 1 year deal worth just under $1 million #WizardsTalk #NBA

Cartier was a one-trick pony...Temple, is extremely versatile.  Glad to have him back. 

I don't see many minutes for Temple barring injury. Decent story, but his talent level says end of the bench guy.

J. Michael

‏@JMichaelCSN

I don't see many minutes for Temple barring injury. Decent story, but his talent level says end of the bench guy.

Oh, no doubt....I just think he could do more (if the opportunity presented itself) than Martin.  He's gonna rack up the DNP-CDs all year. 

I don't see Ariza being on this roster at the beginning of the season.

Ernie tried to trade him for Caron Butler last season, lets hope he can do better this time around.

We need help at PF in the worst way....I wonder what a trade of Ariza and next year's 1st would net? 

Steve - my only worry about the contract is Webster's health.  IF he can stay healthy, I have no doubt he'll live up to the terms.  Did you see these stats? 

Webster shot the ball extremely

well in a bounce-back year, as he emerged as one of the top three-point

marksman in the league with a conversion rate of 42 percent. The team's

success shooting the ball with him on the court was staggering, as

their 3 pointing shooting percentage rose to 38.9 percent (per

nba.com/stats) with him on the court, which places them behind just

Miami and Golden State for third in the league. He shot 44 percent in

spot up situations from three as well as 52.5 percent on transition

three's per MySynergySports.com, an ideal player to pair alongside the

passing deftness of John Wall.

Link

Not only did Webster shoot 42.2 percent from 3-point land for the

Wizards last year, but he shot a scorching 49 percent from the short

corners, according to NBA.com's stat tool, making him an elite converter

of a very efficient shot that Washington point guard John Wall generates in bunches through his drive-and-kick game. Plus, as Mike Prada of Wizards blog Bullets Forever noted,

Webster's preferred corner (the right one, where he knocked down 58.5

percent of his looks last season) mirrors the sweet spot of rising

sophomore sniper Bradley Beal, who drilled 57.1 percent of his tries

from the left corner.

Link

Those numbers are CRAZY.

Those numbers are ridiculous.

It's awesome that with just two acquisitions in Webster and Beal, the Wizards have drastucally improved the team shooting. We had serious, roster wide problems with it before. Now we've got those two and Porter and GRJr, four wings with reliable long range jumpers. And Ariza for now, though he is a bit streaky.

And I think Temple is coming along as a shooter too. He seemed pretty weak when he first showed up but by the end of the year when he was getting a lot of PT, he started shooting better.

BTW, I like bringing back Temple. He's a good egg and fits the personality of the team. I like that we used the D League to find players like him and GRJr. We have to be creative in finding our talent because we simply can not compete with the top teams for FAs who are in demand. Good teams need guys like him at the end of the bench because you never know when injuries will force you to use them. You need someone who isn't just there to get paid, or someone who won't crap his pants when he gets onto the floor.

I'm not sold on Temple but for whatever reason I have high hopes for Rice Jr.  If he and Porter can hit open shots the wizards are suddenly stocked with shooters which is a great thing when you remember that the team couldn't shoot at all two season ago.  If by some miracle the team stays healthy next season this group should be good enough for a playoff spot and maybe a 6 seed.  

I'm not sold on Temple but for whatever reason I have high hopes for Rice Jr.  If he and Porter can hit open shots the wizards are suddenly stocked with shooters which is a great thing when you remember that the team couldn't shoot at all two season ago.  If by some miracle the team stays healthy next season this group should be good enough for a playoff spot and maybe a 6 seed.

Shooting is contagious too. Get a group of good shooters together and they feed off each other and give each other better looks.

With Rice's pedigree, you have to figure that shooting is the one thing he can definitely do.

I have to say the more I see and learn of Rice, the more impressed I am. He's an excellent athlete. I think he's going to make the team and start getting minutes at the SG spot by the end of this season.

Porter's shooting is a little more worrisome. He's extremely efficient and the ball goes in for him. But those shooting mechanics are funky and you have to figure they limit his shooting ceiling. But you don't mess with them IMO. You want him out on the court, contributing ASAP. Don't want to Vesely him.

I like Temple Destino. I think he does a little bit of everything which makes him a valuable end of the bench guard. He can run point and he can play defense. In fact, I think he has the potential to be a really excellent defender. Great length and intelligence, that can be his bankable skill. He would also be able to mitigate the loss of Ariza somewhat if we deal him.

In general, I'm really satisfied with the mix of players we have at PG, SG, and SF. What I'm curious about is how they're going to divide minutes between Seraphin, Booker, Singleton, and Vesely at PF and C. Booker is going to earn his minutes when healthy. I'm not ready to give up on Seraphin, I hope he gets some time. That leaves Ves and Singleton clawing for limited minutes when everyone is healthy...

I love the depth we have, this is what I have been saying we needed. I think guys like Ariza are key for us and would not be too rush to try to ship out. We are not good enough a team to say oh this player needs to go, we need all the help and depth we can get no more rookies filling the bench we need veterans coming off the bench.

I love the depth we have, this is what I have been saying we needed. I think guys like Ariza are key for us and would not be too rush to try to ship out. We are not good enough a team to say oh this player needs to go, we need all the help and depth we can get no more rookies filling the bench we need veterans coming off the bench.

Ariza's name gets brought up because he could bring a decent piece back in the frontcourt. We have dept at the wing positions, but we're painfully thin inside. Right now, Seraphin & Booker/Vesely/Singleton (the last 3 names are not even decent backup's at the 4) would be first in line behind Okafor & Nene.

We are somewhat overstocked at the wing so it makes sense to see if you can get a decent PF for Ariza. I wouldn't flip him for peanuts, but if there is a deal that makes sense, then you have to consider it.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

Booker is a solid back up PF. He gets hurt, but he can play. He's a 15 PER player when healthy and he plays defense. With a healthy year, going into season 4, he could be our Taj Gibson. Similar players.

Booker is no Taj Gibson.That dude can defend. Booker is a matador. Only positive Booker has is energy and offensive put-backs.

Booker is a solid back up PF. He gets hurt, but he can play. He's a 15 PER player when healthy and he plays defense. With a healthy year, going into season 4, he could be our Taj Gibson. Similar players.

Booker is no Taj Gibson.That dude can defend. Booker is a matador. Only positive Booker has is energy and offensive put-backs.

Booker played good defense last season. Not elite, but good. A 102 DRtg is solid and it means he was generally doing a good job. He's gotten better every year too like a young player should.

Booker is a good rebounder, he's tough, sets great picks, and he's extremely athletic. He's a classic goon. Dirty work player and an on court enforcer. Good teams should have one.