Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

This is a flawed roster without any real depth for the big men, no scoring options off the bench, no back up PG and terrible head coach. Both starting big men have a history of injuries and one of them has been completely unreliable since he's been traded here (Nene).

Before we predict that this team is headed for the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference, let's wait until they manage to finish close to .500 first.

I'm quite sure back-up PG will be addressed by either re-signing AJ Price, or going after an alternative in FA.  Guys like Will Bynum, Devin Harris, DJ Augustin, & Sebastian Telfair are all UFAs.  In thinking about it, it probably isn't the best decision to have a 2nd round rookie as your back up 1. 

We can add other bench depth through FA as well (another big). 

Honestly, I'm not too worried about it because for once, I love the direction this franchise is heading.  It seems like they're finally making logical basketball decisions. 

Also, in regards to GRJr.  The more I read about him and watch his clips, the more I love the pick.  We got a 1st round talent in the 2nd. 

Here's a comment from DCrez on the BF site that sums up my feelings perfectly:

Instead of thinking “well Chandler Parsons is one in a

million” the org went the route of “Let’s find another Chandler Parsons”

and that makes me happy. In this new CAP era

the only way you can truly recover from abject debacles like using your

lotto pick on Jan Vesley is to unearth a gem later, with this pick at

least we have a chance at that and it doesnt involve saying prayers over

a Euro who never arrives.

Clutch03, on 28 Jun 2013 - 10:41, said:

Very good post Steve.

When I look at Wall, Beal and Porter I can think of a more hardworking, proffesional trio of young players. All that want to win and play the game the right way. All of them are unselfish and are willing teammates. You combine that with the great locker room guys like Webster, Okafur and Nene you have a HUGE turnaround in culture from the Arenas, Blatche, Young and McGee days. If this team makes the playoffs next year I guarantee a big free agent signing next offseason because players will WANT to play here in DC.

And the best part is that Wall, Beal, and Porter are totally compatible. Most big 3s aren't perfectly compatible. But Wall is a pure PG, Beal is a pure SG, and Porter is a pure SF that just happens to be big enough and good enough to steal minutes as a small ball 4 as well.

Each of them are the good kind of tweeners. Totally capable of playing their home position without any limitations but big enough or versatile enough to get time at other positions.

Porter and Beal being sooo good playing off the ball is such a great match for Wall. And them being able to shoot is huge. Just look at some of the problems Miami has had getting DWade and LeBron to make sense together on the court. And all three of them have the potential to defend their position at an elite level, so we won't have the defensive problems that a team like Cleveland will probably face.

It's a near perfectly balanced core. I truly have no complaints about those three. My only thing is, where do we get our long term PF/C to go with this perimeter group? That could be a big issue down the road. Those kinds of players are super expensive.

BRAVEONAWARPATH, on 28 Jun 2013 - 10:44, said:

Love the Rice pick.

In addition to his 3pt shooting Rice brings something to the table that this team lacks (besides Wall), and that is the ability to beat his man off the dribble.

He's also got some nastiness that I like. This is a pretty tough, aggressive group. Just hope that doesn't carry over to his life off the court.

I'm not really expecting anything from him any time soon though. I think he's a nifty long term project that was a minimal investment. That's what you realistically hope for in a second rounder.

No Excuses, on 28 Jun 2013 - 10:47, said:

This is a flawed roster without any real depth for the big men, no scoring options off the bench, no back up PG and terrible head coach. Both starting big men have a history of injuries and one of them has been completely unreliable since he's been traded here (Nene).

Before we predict that this team is headed for the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference, let's wait until they manage to finish close to .500 first.

You're complaining about depth though. That's a good situation that the large majority of teams do not share. That's not a flawed roster. You can find depth in any offseason.

Our coach is decent enough for now and is only on a one year deal. We can address that position next summer. If Wittman continues to grow and leads us to a high seed, then great, we've unearthed a gem and don't have to do anything. If we win in spite of him, then he's already set to walk. We'll be an attractive destination for good coaches because the roster is already good with a great long term foundation.

This team is playoff bound next year. That's not being a homer, that's being a realist. And after that it's going to keep getting better because Wall, Beal, and Porter will keep getting better.

We were in a position where we couldn't screw this pick up, and we didn't. That might have happened with Noel. We guaranteed to have a player whose floor is a solid role player. He'll help this team for years and will make the Wizards an even more unselfish and efficient team.

Rice can be a nice backup SG option IF his shot is falling in training camp and preseason. If not, he'll be gone. I'm not sure about his defense but he seems like an upgrade over Temple.

I'd like to add another rebounder up front if we can find one for cheap/trade Singleton or Ves for. Still like to see Webster back. As for backup PG, I wouldn't spend too much money on that. Probably Price will fill that role again.

There are a few nice undrafted options but let's be honest, it's rare that they make an NBA team but that doesn't mean we shouldn't bring any into camp. I don't expect the Wizards to but it'll be nice to see them bring in Carmichael. There might have been some undrafted players that have already sign for all I know.

• Like 1

If this team re-signs Webster and Rice can play SG in the NBA as a backup I don' think this team's depth is bad at all... offensively anyway.  I think Price is a good enough back up point guard, people need to accept that you aren't going to have a starting caliber option here.  Rice, Ariza, Seraphin, and Porter (who I wouldn't start immediately) are all players that can score the basketball.  Rice should be more NBA ready than most because he's been playing in the D-league and he's a terrific athlete.  Consider the upgrade he could be over Martin that last year could barely move and wasn't shooting well.  

Ernie is obviously a problem so I won't get into it again.  The actual teams issues are that Wittman is a horrible X and O coach and the wizards lack a second star.  The team needs someone else that can create to take the pressure off of Wall and an offense that isn't a few pick and rolls between John's drive and dish attempts.  If this team manages to drag Wittman into the playoffs his inability to coach at a high level is going to be exposed for all to see. I want to say this team could make the post season but after watching Wittman change the roster every other game last year I'm not convinced Randy won't screw everything up.  

Time to admit something I'm not proud of:  I'm kind of curious to see what Vesely looks like as a PF/C after having put on more weight and having a year (an entire year!) to transition from wing to bruiser.  Despite my best effort to kill any hope, I still want that goofy **** to succeed at least enough to provide some depth.  

Ariza + Nene/Okafor + 2014 top 10 protected first to the Lakers for Pau Gasol. Do you do it?

Or just Ariza + Nene for Gasol, I don't know if you toss in the 2014 first as well in that trade. Gasol looks like he's declining quickly.

Nene, yes.  Okafor, no.  I'd like to have Wall, Beal, and Otto + a ton of cap space to go along with a new GM and coach.  Don't kill my dreams man.  

Edited by Destino

Ariza + Nene/Okafor + 2014 top 10 protected first to the Lakers for Pau Gasol. Do you do it?

Or just Ariza + Nene for Gasol, I don't know if you toss in the 2014 first as well in that trade. Gasol looks like he's declining quickly.

I'd do the latter in a heartbeat!  I just wouldn't be keen on giving up next year's 1st round pick. 

*Gasol is expiring after this year as well. 

Rice can be a nice backup SG option IF his shot is falling in training camp and preseason. If not, he'll be gone. I'm not sure about his defense but he seems like an upgrade over Temple.

I think he's a pretty safe bet. The D-League is closer to the NBA than the NCAA is.  Rice has been facing the same style of defense and playing in the same offenses he's likely to see in the NBA.  I'm pretty sure the three point line is the same too (though I've never really thought about it, just assume it is).  He's an athletic shooter which translates fairly directly to the NBA.  The question with him is can he stay out of trouble and stay focused living in Chocolate City.  

I hear from my black single friends  :)  that DC can be a much more distracting place than I like to think it is.  I'm a suburban family man these days so I'm thinking "how can some monuments and a zoo be all that distracting".  Clearly my daughter and wife have done something to me... I remember the city being different before... but it's hazy and lacks detail.   

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

Steve - do you think there is any correlation between the moves Ernie has made since Abe's passing and his horrible track record before?  Maaaaybe, we should give him some credit?  Or is it just luck?  A lot of questions, but I've always wondered how much he was handcuffed by Abe? 

Good post, man. 

Abe didn't have **** to do with 2011 draft, that cluster**** was all Ernie. If he gets that draft somewhat right, maybe yesterday the foundation is a bit stronger to support taking a chance on Noel.

Ernie seems best when charged to fix his own mistakes or shifting blame to others. He hasn't demonstrated the ability of lifting a team beyond basketball purgatory. After a decade plus of trying, I'm convinced there are others better suited for the task.

Ernie seems best when charged to fix his own mistakes or shifting blame to others. He hasn't demonstrated the ability of lifting a team beyond basketball purgatory. After a decade plus of trying, I'm convinced there are others better suited for the task.

At least he's not Billy King in New Jersey/Brooklyn.  King was god awful in Philly, and then somehow gets another GM job.  That team is paper thin, one injury and it's over.  The window is also basically shut.  It's not even open.

I love the Rice pick. I was so afraid we'd take a couple of Euros to stash. He'll be a good bench player. And of course Otto was my pick all along. Even this negative Wizards can can't say anything bad about this draft. Good job. I'm not crowning them a playoff team yet, but this is a good step in the right direction

I love the Rice pick. I was so afraid we'd take a couple of Euros to stash. He'll be a good bench player. And of course Otto was my pick all along. Even this negative Wizards can can't say anything bad about this draft. Good job. I'm not crowning them a playoff team yet, but this is a good step in the right direction

Mind = BLOWN.

You feeling Ok?  Your post is the equivalent of Will Ferrell's speech in Old School. 

Coming from you, I'll take it!!

• Like 1

Steve - do you think there is any correlation between the moves Ernie has made since Abe's passing and his horrible track record before?  Maaaaybe, we should give him some credit?  Or is it just luck?  A lot of questions, but I've always wondered how much he was handcuffed by Abe? 

Good post, man. 

Abe didn't have **** to do with 2011 draft, that cluster**** was all Ernie. If he gets that draft somewhat right, maybe yesterday the foundation is a bit stronger to support taking a chance on Noel.

Actually, there were various reports that the 2011 draft was in large part Pollin-influenced.

Ernie (allegedly) was under pressure because of Pollin's illness to put a really good team on the court.

And honestly, I kinda get where he was coming from.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

All the optimism surrounding Rice is good and a little funny. There are reasons he was a 2nd round pick. Probably should temper expectations. Absolutely no reason to resign Webster if Ariza isn't traded. This team needs front court depth a lot more than 3or 4 small forwards. Especially given Nene's ongoing foot issues.

Oh yeah, still need a back up point guard. Virtually every position except starting pg and sg was in need of being upgraded if this team wants to do more than make the playoffs in the sorry east.

My optimism for Rice is that he would be a replacement for Cartier.  What more can you expect out of a 2nd round pick these days?  If you look at the last 5 years the 2nd round has about 5 starters total.  The second round consists of two types of players.  The first is seniors who weren't good enough to come out before their senior year.  The second is euro players who will probably never come over to the NBA.  The second round is equivalent to the last round of the NFL draft.  With all that being said I still think Rice was a really good pick because he looks like he'll be a better/younger version of Cartier.

Good post, man. 

Actually, there were various reports that the 2011 draft was in large part Pollin-influenced.

Ernie (allegedly) was under pressure because of Pollin's illness to put a really good team on the court.

2011 was the Vesely/Singleton/Mack draft, Abe was 2 years departed.

2pm stream for Otto's press conference: http://www.csnwashington.com/content/csn-live-stream

Edited by StillUnknown

Good post, man. 

2011 was the Vesely/Singleton/Mack draft, Abe was 2 years departed.

2pm stream for Otto's press conference: http://www.csnwashington.com/content/csn-live-stream

Ouch. My bad. Wrong draft. 

All the optimism surrounding Rice is good and a little funny. There are reasons he was a 2nd round pick. Probably should temper expectations. Absolutely no reason to resign Webster if Ariza isn't traded. This team needs front court depth a lot more than 3or 4 small forwards. Especially given Nene's ongoing foot issues.

Oh yeah, still need a back up point guard. Virtually every position except starting pg and sg was in need of being upgraded if this team wants to do more than make the playoffs in the sorry east.

He had off-the-court issues which landed him out of school and ultimately in the 2nd round.  No one has ever questioned his talent.  He would have been a sure-bet 1st round pick had it not been for the trouble that he found himself in. 

With Ariza/Okafor's contracts expiring, getting a good front court player might not be out of the question before the season is over. 

Time to admit something I'm not proud of:  I'm kind of curious to see what Vesely looks like as a PF/C after having put on more weight and having a year (an entire year!) to transition from wing to bruiser.  Despite my best effort to kill any hope, I still want that goofy **** to succeed at least enough to provide some depth.

I've been more optimistic about Vesely than almost everyone I think. I'm afraid his confidence is irretrievably lost. It's going to take something major for the lightbulb to come on and find his confidence. Like therapy from a sports psychologist or something. Until he has it, I can't see him being useful.

But even if he did, Vesely is a little soft to be that true big man. He doesn't rebound with aggressiveness and activity. I don't think he runs from contact, and even though he's not big or strong, he's still pesky because he gets up on you and stays active on D. If he were stronger, he'd be able to hold position and be capable of defending the position even if his rebounding was meh.

If I were in charge and trying to salvage Vesely as a player, I would make a clear commitment to developing him. Tell him I am not going to trade him or give up on him, I am going to wait on him for as long as it takes until he's ready to make a contribution. That way there would be no uncertainty in him about his situation with the team. I'd also trade Singleton because he's been a nonfactor, so that Vesely would at least be in the five man mix of Okafor, Nene, Seraphin, and Booker.

I would try and have him included more in the culture of the team, become an actual part of the young group with Beal, Wall, and Porter. I would lean on my locker room leaders to try and bring him in the fold more. Try and foster some brotherhood there and not have him be such an alien part of the team. I think it would help his confidence if he became familiar with his role in the group. Gain trust in and from his teammates so he could know that he can rely on his team to prop him up when he's struggling.

And then you've got a whole lot of work to do just to get the skills ready to play the PF/C position.

I'm hesitant to totally write him off because I know it takes big men 4-6 years generally to emerge and become themselves. Ves is coming in at a disadvantage too, having never played the position until last year, not having the requisite body right off, not having a great development program in place, and coming in during a lockout year where development was negligible for a lot of young players.

But his loss of confidence is a really bad issue. That's the kind of thing that can change a player permanently, especially one that is young and still in his formative years. And he might not be able to shake it without a change of scenery. Maybe going back to Europe or something is the best thing for him.

Still... if the lightbulb did come on... it'd be like finding a winning lotto ticket in your desk drawer that you had forgotten about. He's still got the natural anticipation and physical tools and motor to be a very impactful defensive presence and inside finisher. Good passing skills too, the ball movement from positions 1-5 would be awesome. That is why he was a high draft pick after all.

Nene, yes.  Okafor, no.  I'd like to have Wall, Beal, and Otto + a ton of cap space to go along with a new GM and coach.  Don't kill my dreams man.

I seriously doubt a deal like this would happen. But it's an interesting thought. Doubt LA would want to take on a multi-year commitment like Nene's contract, especially if Dwight leaves. They'll want total flexibility. Also not sure Nene is a great fit for D'Antoni, though I don't know how much longer D'Antoni will be there. That team is a dysfunctional wreck now. Look at LA and Boston going into the tank at the same time. Can anyone else feel a 2014 year coming when LA and Boston get the top two picks?

Also, I would need a commitment to the big man position from Vesely to make a commitment to him in return. I would need him to buy in to the change, agree to keep changing his body to get bulkier and more powerful. I would tell him my vision is for him to eventually either start at PF/C or to be the key reserve there.

If he's still not willing to transform his body like that, then there is nothing I can do. He has to play at the PF or C position. He can't dribble or shoot well enough to play SF and I already have Otto Porter there now anyway. Ves mentioned something about not wanting a Nikola Pekovic body. OK, that's not what I'd be looking for. What about a Tiago Splitter body? What's stopping him from developing that kind of strength and that kind of role?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/draft/2013/06/28/grades-eastern-conference-atlanta-hawks-washington-wizards/2466671/

WASHINGTON WIZARDS

New faces: No. 3 SF Otto Porter Jr., No. 36 SF Glen Rice Jr.

The Wizards made the smart pick, then they made the smart trade. Porter is the perfect fit for this team, even though he lacks the upside of many of the available options. He will step in and start from Day One. And Rice will be the team's top backup wing, if not this year then soon. They dealt the Nos. 38 and 54 picks for Rice, who arguably was the best player in the NBA Development League last year but slipped for off the court issues.

Grade: A

Most sites gave us good marks for the draft, although we also got good marks initially for 2011 as well.

I'm not so certain Porter starts from day one.  If Ariza is still on the roster opening day, I see him as the starting SF. Porter will play plenty, but he won't be better than Ariza initially, especially on defense.

Time to cut Vesley and move on. I don't ever see him contributing any minutes on a playoff team because he is literally the worst NBA player in the league. Take emotion and hope out of the thinking and it's an easy decision.