Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

One thing I want to say to everyone who's against us drafting Porter, I remember people saying similar things about Kawhi. I really remember the argument about Kawhi being that you don't draft that high for somebody who doesn't have superstar potential. My opinion then and now is that you draft the player who has the best chance of helping your team. Its cool to have superstar potential but what does that matter if said player isn't close to reaching it (Jan Vesely, Kwame Brown)? I'm much more in favor of somebody who's shown that they're ready to contribute today if need be even if it means that they may not develop into the all star that we hope for. But lets be real, we made Jamison and Butler into all stars and its not like those guys set the world on fire with potential. The fact that we had a good team and a dynamic offense and Gilbert helped them out. I don't see any reason that if we can't turn things around and start making the playoffs that we can't make Porter into an all star in a similar way.

Also, I find it funny that guys think making the playoffs as an 8th seed is the worse position for this franchise. I'm sorry, but when you've been as irrelevant as this franchise has for so long as it has (with the exception of the Gilbert years), then the 8th seed is an improvement. Having a .500 season will bring basketball back into the conversations on sports shows in this city again - the same way that they now talk about the Nationals a lot more than they did when the Nats were losing 100 games per year. Maybe an 8th seed is not the way towards a championship, but baby steps. I'm just looking to be able to go to Buffalo Wild Wings and say I'm a Wizards fan without having others give me the pat on the back like "I understand man".

Agree with the first part of your post.  Been saying that we need someone to contribute right away.  Back when we took Kwame Brown, it was a weak draft, but Battier would have been my pick.  Even though he wasn't the "Superstar" guy you need, he was well rounded and solid.  Same for this draft.  Take what will help the team. 

Disagree with your 2nd paragraph.  I lived the 80s.  A virtual 41-41 team year in and year out with no chance to advance in the playoffs.  That is just as bad as not making the playoffs year after year.  Look at the Capitals. Fans are already numb when it comes to their playoff appearances.  I'd take a couple of years as a low seed, but after a while, they would need to compete for a championship.  That's why you play the games.  Not just to "be there."

i wish there was a way to get kevin love.   Ernie needs to try and focus on making that happen....if not its porter.

Could we get Love for Beal, #1 in 2013. #1 in 2014 and kevin Seprharin ???

I'm a huge Kevin Love fan, but that too steep a price. I'm not moving 2014's first rounder in any deal. We are the Wizards, despite playoff expectations next season, there is always the threat of total collapse with this team. I'm not throwing away even a slim chance at Wiggins. I'm definitely not including Beal & 2014 first rounder.

I've watched a bunch of draft specials and it's a little surprising as to how many NBA guys, not the media, are down on Noel and Bennett.  The reason they give is that the modern NBA favors two way players over guys that are really good on only one side the of the court.  As a consequence you see Oladipo, Porter, and Len get a lot of love with McLemore mixed in because he "should" be a good defender.  Bennett and Noel seem to be viewed as a great deal more risky.  

Not sure that's worth much though because the media may not be as credible on the surface as guys that have worked in the NBA but they likely have sources within the front offices of the teams choosing tonight.  They all seem to think the Noel goes first and pretty much all agree the Wizards take Mr. Robotto Porter (yeah I did that).  Ernie hasn't exactly disguised his selections recently so I think that's exactly who the team is going to select if available.  It also makes me want to play poker with Ernie Grunfeld but that's unrelated.  

I would be fine with Otto as I've said the guy has a really high floor and, for a nice change of pace, he has ideal size.  The wizards are loaded with undersized players everywhere and a 6'8 SF with a 7'1 wingspan would be great.  Otto is also skilled, another thing the Wizards have entirely too little off.  He's not a great athlete but he can do a little of everything.  Dribble, shoot, move without the ball, pass, defend, and rebound. How may wizards draft picks in that last decade could you really say that about?  

Len is still my preferred second option at the #3 pick for the same reasons.  Ideal size.  Skilled.  Harder for a Ernie to ruin a guy that's already learned to play basketball.  

Edited by Destino

One thing I want to say to everyone who's against us drafting Porter, I remember people saying similar things about Kawhi. I really remember the argument about Kawhi being that you don't draft that high for somebody who doesn't have superstar potential. My opinion then and now is that you draft the player who has the best chance of helping your team. Its cool to have superstar potential but what does that matter if said player isn't close to reaching it (Jan Vesely, Kwame Brown)? I'm much more in favor of somebody who's shown that they're ready to contribute today if need be even if it means that they may not develop into the all star that we hope for. But lets be real, we made Jamison and Butler into all stars and its not like those guys set the world on fire with potential. The fact that we had a good team and a dynamic offense and Gilbert helped them out. I don't see any reason that if we can't turn things around and start making the playoffs that we can't make Porter into an all star in a similar way.

Also, I find it funny that guys think making the playoffs as an 8th seed is the worse position for this franchise. I'm sorry, but when you've been as irrelevant as this franchise has for so long as it has (with the exception of the Gilbert years), then the 8th seed is an improvement. Having a .500 season will bring basketball back into the conversations on sports shows in this city again - the same way that they now talk about the Nationals a lot more than they did when the Nats were losing 100 games per year. Maybe an 8th seed is not the way towards a championship, but baby steps. I'm just looking to be able to go to Buffalo Wild Wings and say I'm a Wizards fan without having others give me the pat on the back like "I understand man".

Agree with the first part of your post.  Been saying that we need someone to contribute right away.  Back when we took Kwame Brown, it was a weak draft, but Battier would have been my pick.  Even though he wasn't the "Superstar" guy you need, he was well rounded and solid.  Same for this draft.  Take what will help the team. 

Disagree with your 2nd paragraph.  I lived the 80s.  A virtual 41-41 team year in and year out with no chance to advance in the playoffs.  That is just as bad as not making the playoffs year after year.  Look at the Capitals. Fans are already numb when it comes to their playoff appearances.  I'd take a couple of years as a low seed, but after a while, they would need to compete for a championship.  That's why you play the games.  Not just to "be there."

So your saying it's worse being a Caps fan then being a Wiz fan?  I disagree completely.  I understand you wanting to compete for a championship but if I'm not competing for a championship I'd much rather be in the conversation (in the playoffs) then irrelevant all together.  Like the Arenas, Butler and Jamison years were great when we were going to the playoffs.  What we are going through now sucks.

i wish there was a way to get kevin love.   Ernie needs to try and focus on making that happen....if not its porter.

Could we get Love for Beal, #1 in 2013. #1 in 2014 and kevin Seprharin ???

That would gut the team.  We couldn't contend with just Wall and Love.

Amen.  People that knock the Hawks and Bucks about just being low playoff seeds year after year kill me.  I'd take that 10 times out of 10 over what we've been going through.  I'm a lot more tired of being irrelevant than being mediocre.  I'd love to be mediocre team atleast there is hope in that.  Atleast tease me that the team has a chance. 

There is no hope in being mediocre.  That's why it's called NBA purgatory.  The only way to contend is to have a superstar.  If you're bad for long enough you might get a chance to draft one like the Clippers did and then you go from there.

Porter or Bennett for me....

Same.  Though I would take Noel if he were there.

If it was a trade of Beal, Seraphin, and a 2014 1st, I'd be all over that.  However, I don't think that would be enough for the T-Wolves to move Love.

Keeping the 2013 pick (if that scenario happened) would allow us to draft Porter, or use it on a guy like McLemore or Oladipo who could take over in Beal's absence. 

So your saying it's worse being a Caps fan then being a Wiz fan?  I disagree completely.  I understand you wanting to compete for a championship but if I'm not competing for a championship I'd much rather be in the conversation (in the playoffs) then irrelevant all together.  Like the Arenas, Butler and Jamison years were great when we were going to the playoffs.  What we are going through now sucks.

I'm a fan of both.  Both are the same.  One sucks in the regular season, the other sucks in the playoffs.  I lived and watched the Bullets in the 80s.  Every year they were between 38 and 44 wins.  Every year they were a low seed playoff team.  And every year they would miss out on the true superstars to put them over the top because if they would end up with guys like Calbert Cheaney, Harvey Grant and Manute Bol instead of a Ewing, Olajuwan or Drexler.  Yes, making the playoffs would be a step up for this franchise, but like the Capitals, choking in the first 2 rounds would get old fast.  I mean, I see what you are saying compared to now, but you won't be saying that after many playoff failures.

I just don't think Len plays with a good feel for the game.  I know he didn't start playing BBall until he was 13 or something like that, so he's a latecomer.  But the NBA isn't kind to people still trying to put it all together when they get there.

I don't think he's the sum of his parts.  I don't think he generally plays with the explosiveness and agility that his raw athleticism suggests. I don't think he plays with the strength a 7'1 250 pounder should.  I don't think he shoots as well as his good FT % and good form says he should. His percentages for jumpers was just 36%.  He's got a collection of promising post moves as the basis for a back to basket game.  But he doesn't have great feel here and he only shot 38% on post ups.

And I don't like that he wasn't able to elevate his program at all.  A team with a healthy top 5 7'1 center should absolutely not end up in the NIT.  The ACC wasn't flush in quality bigs, Len should have had a clear path to dominate.

He should be better than he is.  I don't think he has a natural feel for the game or good functional strength and those are problems.

Plus he's got a stress fracture in his ankle.  Foot problems for a 19 year old 7 footer is an issue.

Quoted because it is completely on point.  Precisely why I don't want to draft Len.

Otto Porter or Ben McLemore.

I've watched a bunch of draft specials and it's a little surprising as to how many NBA guys, not the media, are down on Noel and Bennett.  The reason they give is that the modern NBA favors two way players over guys that are really good on only one side the of the court.  As a consequence you see Oladipo, Porter, and Len get a lot of love with McLemore mixed in because he "should" be a good defender.  Bennett and Noel seem to be viewed as a great deal more risky.  

Not sure that's worth much though because the media may not be as credible on the surface as guys that have worked in the NBA but they likely have sources within the front offices of the teams choosing tonight.  They all seem to think the Noel goes first and pretty much all agree the Wizards take Mr. Robotto Porter (yeah I did that).  Ernie hasn't exactly disguised his selections recently so I think that's exactly who the team is going to select if available.  It also makes me want to play poker with Ernie Grunfeld but that's unrelated.  

I would be fine with Otto as I've said the guy has a really high floor and, for a nice change of pace, he has ideal size.  The wizards are loaded with undersized players everywhere and a 6'8 SF with a 7'1 wingspan would be great.  Otto is also skilled, another thing the Wizards have entirely too little off.  He's not a great athlete but he can do a little of everything.  Dribble, shoot, move without the ball, pass, defend, and rebound. How may wizards draft picks in that last decade could you really say that about?  

Len is still my preferred second option at the #3 pick for the same reasons.  Ideal size.  Skilled.  Harder for a Ernie to ruin a guy that's already learned to play basketball.  

It makes complete sense.  Look how the one way players have faired.  Tony Allen was getting less and less playing time in the playoffs because the Grizzlies can't afford to play 4v5 on offense.  Monta Ellis has never been on a good team.  OJ Mayo had to sign a 1 year deal this past offseason.  Bargnani sucks despite being good on offense and an underrated Man defender, it's because he just doesn't understand help D and positioning.

Otto can wind up being a very good player on the Wizards.  He's got two things that puts him over the top compared to other D&3 players.  He's a very good passer, and he's developing a post up game.  The last bit would be crucial against small ball lineups.

It's better for fans during the season to have a team in the playoffs than to be horrible.  You'd prefer not to have a team that's barely an 8th seed that gets easily swept however... that doesn't really feel like making the post season in the NBA.  

Did anyone think this past Redskins season was worse than the two that came before it?  I mean all they did was get to the post season and lose right?  Right.  

Edited by Destino
  • Like 1

I think the quickest way to getting a superstar, other than getting lucky, is to build a good team and a good culture.

Look at Dwight Howard out there in Free Agency, but it is no chance that he will even consider the Wizards because the organization is so jacked up.

(I hope I made enough sense for you to understand what I mean by this. I don't feel like elaborating lol)

I think the quickest way to getting a superstar, other than getting lucky, is to build a good team and a good culture.

Look at Dwight Howard out there in Free Agency, but it is no chance that he will even consider the Wizards because the organization is so jacked up.

(I hope I made enough sense for you to understand what I mean by this. I don't feel like elaborating lol)

Makes perfect sense to me.  I agree completely.  I just hate the losing, so I can deal with with being bumped out of the 1st and 2nd round of the playoffs.  That's not purgatory for me.  THIS is purgatory!  I'm barely audible when I tell people I am a Wizards fan.  I would love to have the problem where just getting to the playoffs was old to me.  Those are my type of problems. 

Edited by Clutch03

Ben McLemore  please, if he is gone then take Otto...

We need explosive players who can shoot and to me McLemore is of better value than Otto, don't care if we got Beal, the more shooters we can get the better......also just saying McLemore brook Danny Manning's scoring record at Kansas.