Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

@ESPNAndyKatz 8:07 PM
Word out of the top five is there was too much concern about Nerlens Noel's knee.

Not high on Len

He was okay but somehow media hyped him up to be best center ever

Even suggested he be #1. Okay. 

@WojYahooNBA 8:09 PM
New Orleans will select Kentucky's Nerlens Noel, league source tells Y! Sports.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/27/4472244/the-2013-nba-draft-in-a-nutshell

"Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld told me, 'There are no impact players in this year's draft," though they are looking for someone to make an immediate impact."

Jeannine Edwards during ESPN's pre-draft coverage

It really sucks he is still the GM. Otto and Beal were two of the easiest draft picks to make. Ted will probably give him another extension tomorrow.
Which is why part of me really wanted him to do something stupid. You're right that these last couple of picks have been no brainers. However if Porter helps us improve to .500 or even get close to paloff contention, that's when things will get interesting. I just hope we don't lose Wall and/or Beal to a contender while EG putzes around in the middle of the draft.

I guess not everyone was/is down on Bennett.

The kid is good. I think he's going to be excellent in Cleveland. Nice pair with Kyrie.

If you hate size and defense, I agree. Terrible pick by them.

We'll be fine as long as we're healthy

If Wall gets hurt again expect another lottery pick but if he is healthy we should be .500

That's what we were saying about the skins when Bug Eyes was putting teams together. No one stays healthy.

I'm a fan of both.  Both are the same.  One sucks in the regular season, the other sucks in the playoffs.  I lived and watched the Bullets in the 80s.  Every year they were between 38 and 44 wins.  Every year they were a low seed playoff team.  And every year they would miss out on the true superstars to put them over the top because if they would end up with guys like Calbert Cheaney, Harvey Grant and Manute Bol instead of a Ewing, Olajuwan or Drexler.  Yes, making the playoffs would be a step up for this franchise, but like the Capitals, choking in the first 2 rounds would get old fast.  I mean, I see what you are saying compared to now, but you won't be saying that after many playoff failures.

See, I disagree. And I think its completely different if you have a legit coach and/or GM. I remember the later parts of those Bullets teams and I also remember Abe's loyalty to guys like Wes who was our VP and coach. I mean, look at Charlotte right now under Jordan. That's how we were under Wes - even worse. Not saying I have much faith in Ernie, but people who complain about him must not compare him to Wes cause Ernie wins that one every time.

Dang Noel to Philly for their 1st round pick and JRUE Holliday.......dannnnnnnnnnggggggg ...New Orleans going fpr Wiggins or Jabari Parker next year

That is an amazing trade for New Orleans. Jrue is an allstar on a less than max contract and they got a pick as well? All for Noel?! Wow. Philly must like being let down by bigs with knee injuries.

Minnesota has a total mess of a roster.  That's what you get when you just thoughtlessly stockpile talent instead of build a team.  They are all PGs and PFs and there is no way they're going to get fair value for DWill and whichever PG ends up being the back up.

Thing is though, Porter really can't leap. 

He's alright.  He's awkward looking but he has sneaky athleticism.  His vert numbers were actually better than Kawhi Leonard's and once he beefs up those chicken legs, he'll be even more explosive.

I think the quickest way to getting a superstar, other than getting lucky, is to build a good team and a good culture.

Look at Dwight Howard out there in Free Agency, but it is no chance that he will even consider the Wizards because the organization is so jacked up.

(I hope I made enough sense for you to understand what I mean by this. I don't feel like elaborating lol)

Makes perfect sense to me, and just to elaborate look at the team we had back in 1999. That team had Webber and Howard and if we'd have played it right - either by keeping them or finding a more legit trade - we could have actually been a part of building a franchise. That's the thing about having a legit team. Atlanta can have trade talks with other teams because they have something to start with. When your team is filled with D-Leaguer's, you don't get many trade opportunities because nobody wants them (Hint: that's why they were D-Leaguer's). Look at the Denver Nuggets and how they got rid of Anthony after getting bounced in the first round year after year. Given, it hasn't helped much but they were able to put together a 57 win team instead of the mid 40s teams they had before.

I mean, we're coming up with fictional trades for Seraphin, Vesely, Singleton and Booker who are four guys who most NBA fans have never heard of. They don't have any weight in a trade. They're the also includes that you throw in to balance a trade, not the main content. But they're getting major run for us because we're that bad.

And back to my main point though, I want to have a reason to watch games in March. I don't want to be aiming for a .300 record. This isn't a hitter in Baseball. I want to be in the conversation for the playoffs post-all star break. People talk about purgatory, well is that better than hell? Being a Wizards fan for the past 25 years of my life has been horrific. To the point where I could barely watch games because they were such a comedic show getting blown out just about every night in the 90s.

• Like 1

This has been an interesting draft. I was so sure that we wouldn't get a chance at Noel that I was easily grading him above Porter, but when the moment came I wanted Porter more than him. True big men are hard to find, but when one already has knee injuries you get hesitant. Then when you add to it the limitations in his game and our history of player development I said I'd be satisfied with a triple and the potential to steal home than going for the home run and not even getting on base.

• Like 1

I guess not everyone was/is down on Bennett.

The kid is good. I think he's going to be excellent in Cleveland. Nice pair with Kyrie.
If you hate size and defense, I agree. Terrible pick by them.
I think Bennett's going to be a star. Cleveland is loaded with young talent and I think Bennett is the favorite to see an AS game first from this class.

This has been an interesting draft. I was so sure that we wouldn't get a chance at Noel that I was easily grading him above Porter, but when the moment came I wanted Porter more than him. True big men are hard to find, but when one already has knee injuries you get hesitant. Then when you add to it the limitations in his game and our history of player development I said I'd be satisfied with a triple and the potential to steal home than going for the home run and not even getting on base.

Yeah, I had Noel as the top guy but when we went on the clock, I didn't know who we should pick. I'm fine with Porter and have no issue passing on Noel. I agree, with our history of injuries and player development, Noel was just asking for Les Boulez to come crush us.

Wait... So Dallas traded Kelly Olynyk and two second round picks for.... nothing?

That's the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard Andy Katz.

Yeah, I had Noel as the top guy but when we went on the clock, I didn't know who we should pick. I'm fine with Porter and have no issue passing on Noel. I agree, with our history of injuries and player development, Noel was just asking for Les Boulez to come crush us.

Wait... So Dallas traded Kelly Olynyk and two second round picks for.... nothing?

That's the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard Andy Katz.

Exactly. Its one thing to say "I don't believe in the curse". Its another thing to tempt the curse that blatantly.

I think the quickest way to getting a superstar, other than getting lucky, is to build a good team and a good culture.

Look at Dwight Howard out there in Free Agency, but it is no chance that he will even consider the Wizards because the organization is so jacked up.

(I hope I made enough sense for you to understand what I mean by this. I don't feel like elaborating lol)

Makes perfect sense to me, and just to elaborate look at the team we had back in 1999. That team had Webber and Howard and if we'd have played it right - either by keeping them or finding a more legit trade - we could have actually been a part of building a franchise. That's the thing about having a legit team. Atlanta can have trade talks with other teams because they have something to start with. When your team is filled with D-Leaguer's, you don't get many trade opportunities because nobody wants them (Hint: that's why they were D-Leaguer's). Look at the Denver Nuggets and how they got rid of Anthony after getting bounced in the first round year after year. Given, it hasn't helped much but they were able to put together a 57 win team instead of the mid 40s teams they had before.

I mean, we're coming up with fictional trades for Seraphin, Vesely, Singleton and Booker who are four guys who most NBA fans have never heard of. They don't have any weight in a trade. They're the also includes that you throw in to balance a trade, not the main content. But they're getting major run for us because we're that bad.

And back to my main point though, I want to have a reason to watch games in March. I don't want to be aiming for a .300 record. This isn't a hitter in Baseball. I want to be in the conversation for the playoffs post-all star break. People talk about purgatory, well is that better than hell? Being a Wizards fan for the past 25 years of my life has been horrific. To the point where I could barely watch games because they were such a comedic show getting blown out just about every night in the 90s.

I swear I think it and you type it.  Exactly how I feel about the Wiz situation.