Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Basically from here on, the only thing to focus on in free agency and next year's draft is bigs, PFs and Cs. Or perhaps package some things in trade for an established big.

Right?

Only deviation is of course if a hands-down superstar scorer happens to fall into the lap during the draft, otherwise it seems pretty clear to focus on the most dominate C & PF combo possible.  

Basically from here on, the only thing to focus on in free agency and next year's draft is bigs, PFs and Cs. Or perhaps package some things in trade for an established big.

Right?

Only deviation is of course if a hands-down superstar scorer happens to fall into the lap during the draft, otherwise it seems pretty clear to focus on the most dominate C & PF combo possible.  

That sounds like every team's plan every offseason.  A whole lot easier said then done.  I think a trade for a big could/will happen next offseason or at the trade deadline just because there will be teams trying to dump salary because of next year's big free agency class.  

Right?

Main problem with that is that we have no money for any real free agents that are on the market so we have to hope we get lucky with another guy like Webster, only at PF/C. BulletsForever and TruthAboutIt are doing some writeups on available free agents that we can possibly land.

I still have some hopes that a guy like Singleton (who's now at PF) can be the one to have that unexpected growth spurt. I think that he has the talent, but not the confidence. Maybe playing with a stronger rotation around him will help with that.

I apparently don't know how to quote without having these large run-on multi-quote monstrosities.

Anyway in response to the last two people that quoted me.

That sounds like every team's plan every offseason.  A whole lot easier said then done. 

There's no reason to overly complicate things. All one needs to say is a very simple sentence: if Roy Hibbert were on the Wizards, they would be competitive, conceivably a playoff claiber team. 

Hibbert was drafted #17. I think it's fair to say that a selection in the top 15, if lucky in the top 10, should give them a shot at someone of note in the draft. Things would have to align, yes, but a good draft class coupled with a top 15 selection is not an unconceivable thing, either by merit (regular season record) or through trade, of some sort.

Also, there's no one person on the depth of this team which needs to stand in the way of trying to get the most dominate Center or PF. Even if the team needs to strip the depth in order to get a premiere player, do it, depth can always be rebuilt. 

That's why I think a trade seems in order, just to expedite things.

Right now the team has gone about a fairly bland cookie cutter design: get a 1, get a 2, get a 3 - through the draft. It's young and looking to develop. It's a cookie cutter viewpoint of the standard positions, PG, SG, Wing. Right now it's Wall, Beal and Porter and the crew.

... Personally I'm happy with Rice Jr., I think he can impact the offense in a real good way. 

Anyway, just keep to what the team is already doing, fill out the starting 5, get a full fledged, the rest of the league notices him, type of Center. Even if the depth is blown to get him, you then rebuild depth with smart signings, rotational guys and through drafting properly.

I mean, it makes sense in my mind. Through FA or Trade or Draft, get the best C & PF combo you can get. Even if the team doesn't have a D. Rose in Wall, even if the team doesn't have a D. Wade in Beal, even if the team doesn't have a LeBron - let alone a R. Gay in Porter ... just focus on the next cookie cutter starting spots, the 4 and 5.

For better or worse, the Wiz franchise is Wall, Beal & Porter. I believe that nothing should be off limits from trying to get a "superstar" Center or at least allstar talent C or PF, likewise. 

Main problem with that is that we have no money for any real free agents 

Didn't say that free agency was the only way to get it done. In fact, I basically think only in terms of the draft, in general. That's a fairly bland way to think when it comes to the NBA. The way the NBA operates with crazy trades and swaps and money and this that and the other, it's a league geared more toward the whimsical and supercilious than the pragmatic and frugal, which defines the NFL and it's draft oriented mantra. 

I'd love to see a superstar land in the laps of the Wiz, another Bron-Bron, maybe that's Wiggins or J. Parker, who knows. But without the #1 or #2 selection, that ain't happening. I say that because I don't think the Wiz have that superstar on their team currently, nor do I think they'll land that lotto pick. So the best way, more likely fashion to build, is to continue to solidify that starting 5 with the best that comes along, be it FA or draft, whatever.

Just something fairly simple right now, if the team focuses solely on Bigs in a trade as well as in the upcoming draft, I mean other teams will select for need, a PG or SF scorer, some teams will be tempted by a certain player and likely there will be a Big that falls to the team. Even if the Wiz don't get the #1 C or PF, if they get the #3 overall C / PF in the draft - that would alright by me, just see what happens.

PF/C is the hardest position to fill. The Cavs might want to move Tristan Thompson now that they drafted Bennett #1 overall. They could use a perimeter defender like Ariza, especially with Bennett and Irving being horrible defenders. Anyone think Jeff Green could be a full time stretch 4? Boston will likely want to shed his deal and Okafor would clear his entire cap hit and another. Koufos has already been traded from Denver, I wouldn't have minded him, so get your popcorn ready for full time starter McGee. If the rockets get Howard they might want to move Asik.

• Like 1

Monk -

Like Destino said PF/C is the hardest position in the NBA to fill by far.  My point is EVERY team is trying to bolster those positions.  So how do the Wizards compete to get one?  The problem in the draft is that when your a team like the Wiz you have to add talent when it presents itself.  Think about Portland when they drafted Oden over Durant or when the Pistons drafted Darko over Melo.  Look how that turned out.  You can't just zone in on one position and forsake getting a game changing talent. 

I think by trade or next year's free agency is the only possible way the Wiz get a good PF/C in the mix.  I doubt they'll get a "dominate" one like you are looking for because there are very few of them so teams likely won't let those guys go if they already have them on the roster.

Paul Millsap: Jazz to meet w/ Paul Millsap's reps on Monday Paul Millsap - F - UTA - Jun. 30 - 10:54 pm et

The Jazz will meet with representatives for unrestricted FA Paul Millsap once free agency begins on Monday.

The Celtics have reportedly made Millsap their "Plan A" in free agency, and numerous other suitors will surface in the coming days, but it appears he's giving Utah the first opportunity to make their case. Last season he averaged 14.6 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.3 steals and 1.0 blocks per game, while shooting 49.0 percent from the field. The durable big man has only missed 18 games in seven NBA seasons. Jun. 30 - 10:54 pm et 

Source: Chris Haynes on Twitter

Wizards also would "love" to bring back Antawn Jamison,who played there from 2004-10. Wiz texted the mutually interested Jamison on Sunday

This would be pretty big - I think we should have a shot for the minimum.

Give Martell a 3 year / 11 M contract, play Antawn at the four, and sign either Maynor/Udrih with the bi-annual exception.

Then roster looks like this:

Wall

Udrih

Beal

Temple (re-sign for minimum)

Glen Rice Jr.

Porter

Webster (would obviously see minutes at the 2 when going big and at the 4 when going small)

Ariza

Singleton

Nene

Jamison

Booker

Vesely

Okafor

Seraphin

Not too bad, honestly. Just need to get rid of the three useless dudes (Vesely, Booker and Singleton), pick-up another big at some point (mid-season or next season) and you should be fine going forward.

Wizards also would "love" to bring back Antawn Jamison,who played there from 2004-10. Wiz texted the mutually interested Jamison on Sunday

This would be pretty big - I think we should have a shot for the minimum.

Give Martell a 3 year / 11 M contract, play Antawn at the four, and sign either Maynor/Udrih with the bi-annual exception.

Then roster looks like this:

Wall

Udrih

Beal

Temple (re-sign for minimum)

Glen Rice Jr.

Porter

Webster (would obviously see minutes at the 2 when going big and at the 4 when going small)

Ariza

Singleton

Nene

Jamison

Booker

Vesely

Okafor

Seraphin

Not too bad, honestly. Just need to get rid of the three useless dudes (Vesely, Booker and Singleton), pick-up another big at some point (mid-season or next season) and you should be fine going forward.

If it shapes up that way I will really like this roster going into this season.  Jamison isn't what he used to be but he can give you points in spots and get boards.  He'll be another good guy to have in the locker room and provide some stability to the PF position until we can find a young big to man the spot.  Plus the Wiz can not afford any starter this offseason.  So getting good depth will help them make a playoff push.

Jamison helping this team is comical. I still hope this team is seeing who might be available for the expiring contracts. This team needs an efficient scorer at the 4. Doesn't have to put up huge points. Also, if this team doesn't believe it can lure a big name free agent next year, I would consider David Lee, All-star/3rd team all nba last year putting up 20 and 11, for the expiring contracts since golden state is shopping him.

Again, this comes down do whether the team thinks it has any chance at a big-time FA next year.

Jamison helping this team is comical. I still hope this team is seeing who might be available for the expiring contracts. This team needs an efficient scorer at the 4. Doesn't have to put up huge points. Also, if this team doesn't believe it can lure a big name free agent next year, I would consider David Lee, All-star/3rd team all nba last year putting up 20 and 11, for the expiring contracts since golden state is shopping him.

Again, this comes down do whether the team thinks it has any chance at a big-time FA next year.

Any efficient scorer at the 4 is going to be too expensive for the Wiz in this offseason.  There will be no starters acquired in this offseason except for Otto unless some type of trade gets worked out.  I doubt any trades happen until closer to the trade deadline.  Efficient scorers at the 4 are a premium in this league if you want one you will have to pay a lot of money.  A lot of money that the Wiz just don't have right now.  That's why Jamison would be a good depth guy to have on the roster.  He won't be expensive and he offers skills that the Wiz can use coming off the bench.  He wouldn't come to save the day but just be a small piece to what they already have.

Jamison helping this team is comical. I still hope this team is seeing who might be available for the expiring contracts. This team needs an efficient scorer at the 4

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/7/1/4483384/nba-free-agent-rumors-antawn-jamison-wizards

Jamison is coming off a trying year with the Los Angeles Lakers where he fell in and out of the rotation and grew tired of the infighting. He was actually as efficient as ever when he did play, posting a 56.1 true shooting percentage and a 36-percent mark from three-point range.

I'd have no problem bringing in Jamison. He's got to understand his role and hopefully he can perform well in his role of the bench. Suddenly we'd become a team with a decent 6-9. Thing about Jamison that helps as well is that you ans I both know that Nene is going to miss some games so Jamison can help hold that spot down.

I wonder how much he wants though. He did get paid more than he's worth on his last deal with us.

Michael Lee@MrMichaelLee4m

Source: Former VCU star Eric Maynor has agreed to a deal with the #wizards. Terms not disclosed but it is a "multi-year" deal.

Well....there is our backup PG

Beats the hell out of AJ Price. I couldn't for the life of me understand the love I saw Price get in here from time to time (using the word love loosely, acceptance is probably more apt). I thought Price was absolutely dreadful. Became even more glaring after Wall got back. Things would be flowing and doing our thing, then Price would come in and it's like the whole team hit a brick wall. He had his moments but there sure weren't that many of them.

So in short, this move makes me happy.

Maynor has been pretty mediocre, I'll wait and see on this one. I wasn't a fan of the lead destroyer, AJ Price, so its not like I'm beat up about the signing, I'm just not excited either. So far i feel good about PG, SG, and SF. I'm not thrilled about C and I don't like the PF situation at all. Team still needs a second star but that's not happening this offseason unless theWizards can shed a bunch of salary, which they can't.

Edited by Destino

Maynor has been pretty mediocre, I'll wait and see on this one. I wasn't a fan of the lead destroyer, AJ Price, so its not like I'm beat up about the signing, I'm just not excited either. So far i feel good about PG, SG, and SF. I'm not thrilled about C and I don't like the PF situation at all. Team still needs a second star but that's not happening this offseason unless theWizards can shed a bunch of salary, which they can't.

yeah he's been given so much time to prove himself right?  He was the best PG to ever come out of VCU.  The guy got drafted to Utah and played behind Deron Williams, then traded to OKC to play behind Westbrook(not to mention being injured part of his time there), and then to Portland where he barely got play but was quite decent when he did.  See a theme?  The guy hasn't gotten a chance because he's played behind stars his entire career.  If Utah hadn't jumped the gun he might be starting there right now and they might not be in the bad situation they are.  If OKC had allowed Westbrook to play his natural position with Maynor at point then maybe they wouldn't have the boneheaded crap between him and Durant.  They had the perfect player to allow Westbrook to play his natural position and they decided to put him behind the guy.  So considering all these thing I'd love to know where your review of mediocre comes from. Unproven might be fair but to say mediocre when he's been stuck behind stars his entire career thus far is completely unfair.

Why do i say hes mediocre? His numbers are mediocre and he's on his 4th team in what will be his 5th season. He's not known as a great defender in the NBA either. Hes taking a small deal with the wizards. That proof enough? I'm not saying the guy is bad or terrible but the results haven't been great. Also why would you argue that he's struggled behind stars when he's coming here to play behind Wall?

When he shows that he's a good NBA point guard, I'll give him all the praise he deserves. He hasn't done that to date.

Edited by Destino

Why do i say hes mediocre? His numbers are mediocre and he's on his 4th team in what will be his 5th season. He's not known as a great defender in the NBA either. Hes taking a small deal with the wizards. That proof enough? I'm not saying the guy is bad or terrible but the results haven't been great. Also why would you argue that he's struggled behind stars when he's coming here to play behind Wall?

When he shows that he's a good NBA point guard, I'll give him all the praise he deserves. He hasn't done that to date.

No player who has played limited minutes behind a star player is gonna get a major contract besides James Harden.  Let's consider those teams he's played for. Utah had Deron and Maynor. Rather than keep either they traded both and now are in the crapper. Fantastic job there.  OKC-  played behind Westbrook.  Westbrook plays the majorityy of the game at the point(despite being a SG) which allowed very limited minutes.  Plus Maynor was injured part of that time.  If you forget Maynor had some impressive showings in the playoffs when given chances.  The biggest problem in OKC is they left Westbrook as a PG. That and OKC being loaded with PGs most of Maynor's time there. Westbrook will never be a PG and should have been moved to SG. Instead they wasted a perfectly good PG on the bench and then watched their playoff hopes go up in smoke this year when their converted PG got hurt after they trade Maynor.  First thing that should have happened when Harden was traded was putting Maynor at the point but they didn't.  All you see at OKC as result is Westbrook and Durant battling to be the top scorer.  That's not being a team.  That's two players trying to out do each other. He was on Portland for like a couple weeks if you consider that really a 3rd team.  . 

Wall is not the same as Rondo, Westbrook,etc.  Maynor will get his minutes to prove himself.  That's something he hasn't gotten at the teams he's been to. No one is gonna knocking down the doors of a player who doesn't get a chance to prove himself.  Hell he could be starting for Utah right now if they hadn't traded him before Deron.  

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

You've hit on an ongoing theme in free agency with Wiz fans, the overvaluing of players based on emotions. this team has some straight up garbage players still and while they might make the playoffs in the very weak East, they are far from a championship level team. With that in mind you either value payroll flexibility or you look to make a trade using the expiring contracts and the 2014 first round pick. Otherwise they need to be careful overpaying for roll playing vets. Edited by Hersh