Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Steve you are over thinking something that should be obvious.  

1 - Aldridge is big that can shoot and move his feet.  The Wizards are a team that MIGHT have ONE star player next season.  ONE.  Why do I say that?  Because Wall has been a star player for 2 months in his career.  Before that he's been all potential and numbers that projected well.  There is no situation in which fails to fit with the Wizards or with a great point guard.  

2 - The Wizards desperately need a player that takes the ball away from John Wall.  I will never understand why so many basketball fans want teams in which a single player dominates the ball and runs the offense.  Every team needs at least two guys that can play with the ball in their hands and be successful.  The Wizards have one guy that can do that and if that remains true they will get destroyed in the post season when defenses have nothing to do other than disrupt Wall's game and force Beal or Porter to put the ball on the floor and beat them.  

3 - What makes Aldridge stand out is his productivity.  I don't care who is playing in the league a guy putting up 20 and 9 is always going to be valued highly.  Unlike most bigs he can also hit a free throw so you can throw him the ball late in games as well.  I agree that he's not a superstar that will single handedly drag a team to the promised land... but he's a damn good second star.  

4 - He is a better player than Okafor and Nene.  

5 - He's ready now.  Wall and him are a duo that a good GM and coach can build around.  Beal and Otto might one day be that but they aren't that now.  The wizards need more chickens and less eggs.

Fit always matters. Timing always matters. Look at the Los Angeles Lakers today. You can't just thoughtlessly collect talent, you have to build a team ad that team's timing has to match up perfectly. Aldridge may be a better player than Okafor and Nene and Porter and/or Beal now, in vacuum. But that does not mean he's a better fit for the Washington Wizards.

Everything one does in team building is based on projections. We're projecting Wall to be a superstar and franchise player, and we've built around him accordingly. We're projecting Beal and Porter to be ideal complimentary stars, and we picked them accordingly. If we're wrong in those projections, so be it. We had a plan that was pretty good and it didn't work.

But you don't change that plan simply because it's based on projections.

Especially not to make a short term move for its immediate impact, which is what you seem to be arguing for. That's not sustainable. Oklahoma City and San Antonio are the goals right? The grass is not always greener for other teams.

And of course this is all a moot point because Portland has given no indication they'll trade Aldridge, much less to us for the package you described.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

What scouting reports?

Aldridge is an efficient scorer and rebounder--for a perimeter oriented big. His actual shooting percentages aren't great for a big man because he operates mostly from mid range. He's a high usage scorer who you have to run a lot of your offense through from the high post. At this spot he has a good ISO game and he does a lot of the facilitating. John is a ball dominant PG whose best paired with off ball scorers--transition finishers to run with, interior finishers for pick and rolls and drive and dishes, cutters, spot up shooters, and pick and fade options. That's not really Aldridge. Aldridge is a creator. He'd have to change to pair better with Wall because Wall is currently not good enough a shooter to play off the ball a lot.

Aldridge is an awful defender, and we'd presumably have to deal a good defensive big in Okafor or Nene to get him, which would make us bad on D again. Teams with bad defensive bigs are bad defensive teams.

This is loads of nonsense. First off, somehow a big man that has a really good mid-range game wouldn't work in a pick in roll with john wall? The guy runs the floor, can finish inside and he isn't a bad defensive big. He doesn't have to be a great defender for this team. 

Last thing, it's GREAT if he is a creator as well cause the Wiz could use more of that. Currently they have one in Wall.

I know it's not perfect, but we're a better team keeping Webster then letting him walk. I can live with it.

Doesn't he have the potential to be a very good 6th man?  

btw when does the NBA release their schedules approximately?  I'm looking to plan a short trip to Orlando (I live in Jax) when the Wiz visit.

Absolutely he does. If we can get our young big men (Booker, Singleton, Seraphin) to become more consistent, then our second unit is going to be legit. I haven't seen us stay "healthy" in a while, so keeping Webster and this young team together helps us have a team that can better stand injuries instead of digging holes we can't climb out of year after year.

Schedule release is July 26th from what I can tell. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong on that...

San Antonio is not the goal. They are what they are because they all put the team concept first. That sounds simple but in the NBA it might as well be alien technology. The GM gets players that fit and supports his coach. The coach runs a system bigger than any player ego. The players keep their mouths mostly shut and work.

I think our players could fit the system and that pop could win with the wizards roster. Sadly a hall of fame super coach is not available nor is the front office. We could have hired fruit from that tree but we're too committed to Ernie Grunfeld.

In perusing various Laker boards the fanbase is holding on to the hope of John Wall in 2014 or 15',  :)

When was the last time the Laker's simply acquired another teams star player because the player desperately wanted to play in LA as opposed to simply wanted to leave Orlando?  Kobe was traded before anyone knew he was a star.  Gasol was traded for his brother and two first round picks, and he never forced any of it.  Dwight didn't even list LA as his preference and now he's gone.  

It just seems to me that the idea of LA being the place every NBA star is dying to play and the actions of players are noticeably different.  Think about all the star players that have signed extensions that all could have refused, become free agents, and gone to LA.  Dwight just did that and went to Houston.  Bosh and Lebron did that and went to Miami.  Who has done that and gone to LA?  It's rare that you see a star in their prime switch teams at all but I can't think of the last guy to force his way into free agency and go to LA... or even force a trade.  Shaq in 1996, 17 years ago?

Edited by Destino

I'll just be glad when we get to the point where we are good enough that a big time free agent would consider coming here. We are NEVER in talks with any of the prime time free agents.  Would be great if Wall, Beal, and Porter pan out to be our big 3. But once they do, we need to add one more SIGNIFICANT player.

Edited by LetMeSeeYourWarFace21

I'll just be glad when we get to the point where we are good enough that a big time free agent would consider coming here. We are NEVER in talks with any of the prime time free agents. Would be great if Wall, Beal, and Porter pan out to be our big 3. But once they do, we need to add one more SIGNIFICANT player.

I used to believe it was because the team is bad. Now having watched teams turn it around I'm sure its because Ernie Grunfeld is garbage. Players don't want to come here because they have no reason to believe anything good is going to happen here. If Ted fires the moron and hires a guy with some ambition and vision the Wizards would have no problem getting players.

I'll just be glad when we get to the point where we are good enough that a big time free agent would consider coming here. We are NEVER in talks with any of the prime time free agents. Would be great if Wall, Beal, and Porter pan out to be our big 3. But once they do, we need to add one more SIGNIFICANT player.

I used to believe it was because the team is bad. Now having watched teams turn it around I'm sure its because Ernie Grunfeld is garbage. Players don't want to come here because they have no reason to believe anything good is going to happen here. If Ted fires the moron and hires a guy with some ambition and vision the Wizards would have no problem getting players.

Ted & Ernie convinced fans that free agents just don't want to come here. Takes the pressure off of them when they don't get any.

Starts at the top, can't imagine any high level free agent breaking his neck to play for Randy Wittman.

I hate EG just as much as the rest of you all. But he isnt going anywhere. We have lucked into a position where there are only a few teams taking next season seriously, and our team has all the pieces for a quality team at worst (barring injury). We have 1-2 attractive trade pieces available to help fill in gaps, and a squad of pieces that seem to fit together quite nicely. I dont think there is anything to complain about at the moment. We have done the best we could with what we have right now. Lets let this play out until closer to the deadline, when we can spin Ariza and change into a quality guy that will fit our roster.

I hate EG just as much as the rest of you all. But he isnt going anywhere. We have lucked into a position where there are only a few teams taking next season seriously, and our team has all the pieces for a quality team at worst (barring injury). We have 1-2 attractive trade pieces available to help fill in gaps, and a squad of pieces that seem to fit together quite nicely. I dont think there is anything to complain about at the moment. We have done the best we could with what we have right now. Lets let this play out until closer to the deadline, when we can spin Ariza and change into a quality guy that will fit our roster.

Nothing to complain about? The only thing EG has done right in the last two years is take the two people in the draft that 90% of us would have taken. Oh, I'll give him Webster as a solid move. Beyond that he got destroyed in the Ariza/Okafor trade and he got the Wiz a center that has plantar fasciitis and 2 or 3 years left on his deal. This team absolutely hasn't done the best it could with what they have. They are sitting on two big expiring deals that possibly could have landed another long term contributor. Does anyone think they even tried? To this point I would guess not at all. Oh yeah, we have terrible depth at PF and C but we have 42 SFs.

Nothing to complain about? The only thing EG has done right in the last two years is take the two people in the draft that 90% of us would have taken. Oh, I'll give him Webster as a solid move. Beyond that he got destroyed in the Ariza/Okafor trade and he got the Wiz a center that has plantar fasciitis and 2 or 3 years left on his deal. This team absolutely hasn't done the best it could with what they have. They are sitting on two big expiring deals that possibly could have landed another long term contributor. Does anyone think they even tried? To this point I would guess not at all. Oh yeah, we have terrible depth at PF and C but we have 42 SFs.

Until people come to Jesus and admit the facts, the Wizards are who they are.

EG is the best GM this team has had in 35 years.

He does what the OWNER wants.

He is a PUPPET for the OWNER.

The Wizards/Bullets do what the ownership wants them to do.  Sell tickets and save money for the franchise.

Who was a better GM for one of the worst franchises in basketball than EG?

The Wizards/Bullets do what the ownership wants them to do.  Sell tickets and save money for the franchise.

Grunfeld shouldn't be measured against past organizational failures. He should be measured on his own merits as a GM. You don't keep a guy around simply because he has failed less than those before him.

I don't buy the owner blame game. Ted Leonsis isn't micromanaging the wizards. He's not hiring every employee, talking with every scout, negotiating every contract, building relationships with other GMs to facilitate player movement, researching every FA for the best fit, and making every draft choice. He's certainly wasnt doing it before he became the owner and I doubt he has the time to do it now. Ernie gets paid for a reason and that reason isn't simply to relay the owners instruction.

The owner has some responsibility certainly and it starts with continuing to employ Grunfeld.

I can't say these are exactly my sentiments but they're close. The fact that Ernie has brought this team within the realm of consideration not once but twice, once when we had legit all stars and a guy who was challenging for the scoring title, kinda makes me happy and sad at the same time. I mean I respect Abe for what he did for downtown DC, but I always hated his "loyalty" moves. I think the smartest thing(s) he did was getting rid of Jordan and hiring Ernie. Not saying I'm a big fan of Ernie, but I'll easily take the Wizards of the 2000s over the Wizards of the 1990s.

I know we should be judging Ernie against other GMs, but we've got to start somewhere. As a fan of the team and a fan of basketball, we know that there is no such thing as parity in the NBA. And turning around a franchise isn't as simple as "I think therefore I am". I'd have no problem with firing Ernie and starting over again, but given what we went through before we got him, I'm really afraid of the alternative and going back to the 1990s. I mean, at least I can understand some of the logic behind the controversal moves of Ernie: The Arenas redo, the Miller trade, the Oakariza trade, the Nene trade, etc.

I still rank the J. Howard trade as worse than all those moves by far. And I'd probably rank the Webber trade as just as bad as well....not the fact that we traded him but that we got nothing for him. That was just saddening.

If we have to start somewhere, how about starting with how bad he's been drafting players. If the pick hasn't been an absolute no brainer to this point (Wall, Beal, Porter) than EG has failed miserably to produce.

Brazilian center Vitor Faverani has reportedly drawn interest from the Spurs, Wizards, Knicks and Celtics.

Our ears perk up whenever the Spurs show interest in an overseas prospect. Vitor is a 25-year-old big man (6'11", 233 lbs) who has played professionally in Spain since 2006-07. His per-minute stats are impressive but he's never averaged more than 18 minutes per game.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=2228&line=211138&spln=1

http://www.truthaboutit.net/2013/07/wizards-summ-fest-season-sneak-peek-and-a-night-of-fun-inside-the-phone-booth.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TruthAboutIt+%28Truth+About+It+-+Washington+Wizards+Blog%29

Team President Ernie Grunfeld is definitely overdue for a second round gem, and initial impressions are that he might have found one in the smooth swing man out of Marietta, Georgia. A Wizards employee told me that Rice, Jr. had been killing it in the morning practices, displaying an array of impressive dunks and shot-making ability.

Rice, Jr. definitely stood out in the scrimmage that I witnessed. He simply showed he looked the NBA part. It was hard to tell between Rice and Porter which one was the lottery pick. I knew coming in that Rice was a heralded scorer but the most impressive aspect was him being the loudest player on defense, constantly alerting teammates of screens.