Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'd rather have Porter.  We've needed a 3 that can play well and to me, Bennett is a tweener 4 who is always injured.  No need for Burke or McLemore.  Don't want Noel's bulky knee.  We have Nene for that.  Olidipo would be a good consolation, but I like Porters all around game better.

Yes and that is why we should leverage the #3 pick into a big man who can score and rebound and play more than 50 games. In my other post, I propose getting Milsap and #14. #14 would be prime position to get a top flight backup in this draft.

You're trade idea was to give up a premier asset for a big man that Utah doesn't even want to keep and a career back up.  That's not a good return.

There are few trades that would make sense.  I'd consider trading the pick for Jonas Valanciunas.  I'd package it and Nene/okafor for Greg Monroe or Cousins.  The raptors, pistons, and kings would have to be crazy to trade those players though.  Basically if we could get our hands on a good center that isn't old or injured I'd be happy to move the pick.  

Outside of that I think you have to take Otto and get back to working on getting some value for Ariza and seeing if anyone is crazy enough to take Nene.  I think you have to keep Okafor until you have a quality center or at the very least a prospect to replace him with.  Hopefully Otto is there at #3 because I think he's the obvious choice.  If Otto and McLemore go in the top two we're Ernie will screw up and take Noel, he's the total Grunfeld package.  Hopefully that doesn't happen.  

How about the #3 pick and next years 1st plus expiring contracts Ariza and Okafor in a sign and trade for Dwight Howard?

I don't particularly like Howard but you resign Webster to give you a starting 5 of:

Wall

Beal

Webster

Nene

Howard

On a more realistic note, the Wizards need to decide on Webster to determine this pick. If they resign Webster, go PF. No Webster means go SF.

I understand that Glen Rice Jr is getting a lot of love and hype recently. May I ask if anyone followed him during the regular season? - And if so, what does he bring?

I'll reiterate something I posted earlier, Tim Hardaway Jr caught my eye at certain times through out the season, multiple times. He wasn't consistently dominating, but he had flashes of some incredible play.

Most folks have him going in the 1st, if not early 2nd.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone think he could still be on the board @#38?

2. Would anyone here join me in saying packaging those 2nd rounder to move up might be in order to get THJ?

Any way that Tim Hardaway Jr. is there at #38?

I'd probably take him if he were.

__

more 2nd round:

- Seth Curry

- Doug Anderson

If we goth Seth Curry I'd be ecstatic.  Dude can shoot like a monster.  Tim Hardaway Jr. would be solid as well.

Edited by abdcskins

Glen Rice Jr or Glen Robinson Jr...If Glen Robinson Jr he decided to stay at michigan

Rice, that's who Aldridge has been on about recently:

picture2hsq.png

Posted May 20, 2013 12:21 PM

Aldridge:

MAY 20 UPDATE: A few changes on the Big Board, most notably the meteoric rise of prospect Glen Rice, Jr., who has come on strong in the last few weeks after his MVP turn in the NBA Development League finals for the Rio Grande Valley Vipers. A year ago, Rice was a washout, having been kicked off Georgia Tech's team during his junior season following a series of off-court incidents.

He chose to go the route of the NBA Development League after being drafted by Rio Grande instead of transferring to another college or playing abroad. He sat early during the Vipers's season, but came on strong the second half, blowing up over his last 10 games, averaging 29 points and 9.5 rebounds. In the D-League Finals, Rice led the Vipers in scoring, averaging 16.5 points on 57 percent shooting, as Rio Grande defeated Santa Cruz for the title.

His dramatic improvement on and off the court put him on NBA teams' radars, and he now is a solid first-round prospect. Our own Chris Dortch chronicled Rice, Jr.'s comeback trail and Rice, Jr.,did more than enough in Chicago to keep his status high.

"You look at him, he's already had a year in the D-League, traveling," a Southwest Division executive said of Rice, Jr., the son of former Heat star Glen Rice. "He's mature. I think coaches look at that as kind of a positive, like we can bring him in and he's going to do well. He's not great, but he's okay. (His previous mistakes) didn't follow him in the D-League. He did what he had to do. He got humbled. Nobody's perfect; we all make mistakes."

A Northwest Division scout thinks Rice is better off having become a primary option in Rio Grande. "Next year he'll be a lot better, because he'll be called on to do more," the scout said. "Like with (Michigan sophomore guard) Trey Burke. Coming back to school helped him.

Not saying you have to be the guy in our league, but (after a year in the D-League), when you're called upon to score, you're not looking your shoulder at LeBron and D-Wade to see if they thought you took a bad shot. ... like Dorell Wright. He never went to college and knew who he was. Then when you walk in a room and everybody's been the man, you don't go into a shell and it takes you three years to get your confidence."

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

Yes and that is why we should leverage the #3 pick into a big man who can score and rebound and play more than 50 games. In my other post, I propose getting Milsap and #14. #14 would be prime position to get a top flight backup in this draft.

You honestly can't believe this is a good idea?  Do the correct thing and draft Otto, nothing foolish.

I'm all over the place with the draft.

I look at Porter and think he checks the most boxes for what we do now and want to do moving forward. Then I remember Jason Collins starting a couple of games when Okafor didn't play and wonder why not go big?

As I take in more info from scouting reports, I find myself going back to Porter or McClemore.

On a more realistic note, the Wizards need to decide on Webster to determine this pick. If they resign Webster, go PF. No Webster means go SF.

Not sure that matters. Webster can play the 2 and 3 so even if the wizards draft Porter he'll get plenty of burn. The team has no good backup 2 guard otherwise. Plus Ariza is on his way out, if we lose Webster the team would have Singleton and Vesely backing up Porter. That's ugly.

I think they need to keep Webster who has proven to be a good presence in the locker room no matter who they pick. Booker, Singleton, Vesely, Ariza, and Okafor are the players that should be on the block, for various reasons.

Draft Porter.

Trade the 2 2nds and move up as far as possible and Muscala. If Pierre Jackson is still available late, buy a 2nd and draft him as well.

S&T Ariza+Booker+future 2nd+ for Milsap (UTAH isn't going to retain him, might as well get pieces to tnak with and expirings)

Bring back Temple for the minimum, see the same for AJ.

Wall/AJ/Pierre

Beal//Tomas/Temple

Porter/Webster

Millsap/Seraphin/Jan

Nene/Okafor/Muscala

Follow the Kings situation closely towards the trade deadline and see if you can unload

Nene+Seraphin+Jan+Pierre+ unprotected '14 for Cousins (this has the least likely chance to occur)

Edited by nuposse87

What's interesting about this thread is that's essentially been one long conversation between about 15 people.  It's like the draft thread in the stadium, only even smaller.

Why is Thinking Skins's name greyed out on the list though?  Did he get banned?  That'd be really surprising.

I doubt I was banned (although if I was, then I may have violated a rule by creating a new account). I think that the fact that my name had a space in it made my account inconsistent with the new rules regarding user names. I say this noticing that a few others who have spaces in their names also were greyed out. 

That being said, I have been known to cause my fair share of trouble and maybe that's finally caught up with me. 

You honestly can't believe this is a good idea?  Do the correct thing and draft Otto, nothing foolish.

Yes Otto is the safe pick. However, we need a big man who can be a star next season moreso than a SF. We can get by with Martell and Trevor next season at SF and sign another guy like a Babbitt for depth. However, we know Nene will miss at least 20-30 games next season and I have a feeling a guy who has been as unhealthy as Okafor will miss a significant chunk as well. If we have the likes of Seraphin and Booker playing starter minutes, we are screwed next season. 

I think #3 + Vesely + Singleton + our trade exception for Milsap + #14 should get it done. Draft Schroeder and swap our 2 2nds + cash for a late first to get Withey and we should be set

PG: Wall / Schroeder / Price

SG: Beal / Barbosa (signed for minimum) / Martin

SF: Webster / Ariza / Babbitt

PF: Milsap / Nene / Booker

C: Okafor / Seraphin / WIthey

Yes Otto is the safe pick. However, we need a big man who can be a star next season moreso than a SF. We can get by with Martell and Trevor next season at SF and sign another guy like a Babbitt for depth. However, we know Nene will miss at least 20-30 games next season and I have a feeling a guy who has been as unhealthy as Okafor will miss a significant chunk as well. If we have the likes of Seraphin and Booker playing starter minutes, we are screwed next season. 

I think #3 + Vesely + Singleton + our trade exception for Milsap + #14 should get it done. Draft Schroeder and swap our 2 2nds + cash for a late first to get Withey and we should be set

PG: Wall / Schroeder / Price

SG: Beal / Barbosa (signed for minimum) / Martin

SF: Webster / Ariza / Babbitt

PF: Milsap / Nene / Booker

C: Okafor / Seraphin / WIthey

I'm a big Milsap fan, but I would not give up the #3 pick in the draft for him. I would only trade the #3 pick to Utah for either of two players: Kanter or Favors.

How about the #3 pick and next years 1st plus expiring contracts Ariza and Okafor in a sign and trade for Dwight Howard?

I don't particularly like Howard but you resign Webster to give you a starting 5 of:

Wall

Beal

Webster

Nene

Howard

who would score in that scenario?  Howard was a beast toward the end of the year but only averaged like 15 ppg right?  Nene and Webster aren't 20+ ppg guys...Beal hasn't proven that yet but he's probably the most likely candidate.

If McLemore fell to us at #3 would you consider trading Beal and possibly a player for Greg Monroe?  

Wall - Price

McLemore - Hot Garbage 

Webster - Ariza 

Nene - Hot Garbage 

Monroe - Okafor - Seraphin 

Edited by Destino

Porter 1:

Porter 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kaw-8yqkaiM

__

So just one little problem for me is that Porter just doesn't live above the rim. He's not a high flyer and surprisingly for someone who is 6'8", he looks oddly unable to physically "fight with the rim." He seems to settle for a lay-up or short glide into the rim. Offensively he just doesn't look physically dominate.

vs.

Bennett 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4mD1PFE04c

Bennett 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zr9MsP66S4

__

With Bennett I can easily see a much more physical aspect and above the rim aggressiveness to the offense. You can't deny that Bennett lives above the rim more than Porter, you just can't. And again look at the video above, Bennett actually does make defensive plays with blocks and steals and for a 240 lbs to 250 lbs man, he can move in transition and got ups. I do believe things are a bit hyperbolic concerning his defense. He may not be great defensively, even poor in terms of effort, but he made plays at times which caused turnovers and created transition points - as evidenced above.

And again, look how he finishes things with a flush. I mean we don't need just talent on the Washington DC basketball team, we also need someone who can step onto the court with other grown ass men from around the NBA and actually battle. I think Bennett brings some needed attitude and physicality. That, coupled with some diverse ability on the offensive, with outside range and all around down low game, means he brings a good variety to the table.

Kevin Garnett even famously said that defense is all about your mentality. Bennett has the tools of physicality on the offensive end, he needs the mentality and coaching on the defenisve end in order to become complete.

I like both, don't get me wrong. May I just quote myself from a little bit ago: 

Porter looks a bit like, move a bit like Tayshaun Prince.

Then pretty much immediately steve talked about the above / below the rim ability.

I think there is a lot of similarity there. Though I think Prince is a better athlete. He used to be able to play above the rim and I think Porter is pretty grounded.

Edited by Monk4thaHALL

I'm sorry for the spacing, I can't fix it.

Every time I try to edit the spacing between everything, I either lose the quote boxes or I lose the vids. And there's a weird pure white background around the vids, and text gets caught up in it, whereas normal text usually has the grey background.

I seemingly can't edit properly. 

[edit]something seemed to click, now the spacing is better.[/edit]

Edited by Monk4thaHALL