Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I know, right? I saw they had 5 wins, assuming they'd easily get Griner, Delle Donn or Diggins, three players who I'd actually consider watching play for the Mystics. But, they get shafted and get the 4th pick, missing out on three great, marketable players.

I was rooting for them to tank all last year. Tank, tank, tank. I didn't realize the WNBA had the damn lottery system also. How can you have a lottery system in a 12 team league? They should have had Griner. Griner and RG3 in DC? At worst I was thinking they'd come out top 3 and get DellaDonne or Diggins. But nope. The WNBA has screwed the pooch on the Mystics. They've had one of the most stable franchises with a huge fanbase that actually goes to the games, but they keep feeding NY, LA and Pheonix. They did get Holdsclaw for a while, then she went nuts- literally.

I was rooting for them to tank all last year. Tank, tank, tank. I didn't realize the WNBA had the damn lottery system also. How can you have a lottery system in a 12 team league? They should have had Griner. Griner and RG3 in DC? At worst I was thinking they'd come out top 3 and get DellaDonne or Diggins. But nope. The WNBA has screwed the pooch on the Mystics. They've had one of the most stable franchises with a huge fanbase that actually goes to the games, but they keep feeding NY, LA and Pheonix. They did get Holdsclaw for a while, then she went nuts- literally.

Exactly. Having a lottery in a 12 team league is BS. It's doesn't promote competition, it kills it. I hate to say it but I hope Griner ends up being a bust and sets the WNBA back. I would have actually started watching some games if she had ended up in D.C.

Remember when Holdsclaw was going to be the Female Jordan?

Those were fun times.

And she ended up being the female Gilbert Arenas.

Serious question, how does a league catch on? Why haven't any women's sports leagues caught on yet? There are at least hunderds of thousands of girls playing basketball in the U.S. every year, don't they care about the WNBA?

Women's sports aren't like soccer in the USA. They don't have to compete with far better and richer European leagues. I honestly don't understand what is holding women's sports leagues back.

And she ended up being the female Gilbert Arenas.

Serious question, how does a league catch on? Why haven't any women's sports leagues caught on yet? There are at least hunderds of thousands of girls playing basketball in the U.S. every year, don't they care about the WNBA?

Women's sports aren't like soccer in the USA. They don't have to compete with far better and richer European leagues. I honestly don't understand what is holding women's sports leagues back.

Probably would be a good idea for a new thread...seems like it would be an interesting topic to debate.

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the WNBA is always in the negative as far as profits. NBA (obviously) keeps it afloat. I can't remember the exact article, but I think it was Diana Taurasi who said that earning potential is far greater overseas for women's basketball.

I know, right? I saw they had 5 wins, assuming they'd easily get Griner, Delle Donn or Diggins, three players who I'd actually consider watching play for the Mystics. But, they get shafted and get the 4th pick, missing out on three great, marketable players.

I really don't know anything about the girl from Delaware and the only think I know about Diggins is that she's good looking. Griner piqued my interest though. I've actually seen a few of her games, sat down and watched them just because of her. Throw in the Baylor connection and her friendship with RGIII and I would have definitely rooted for her.

I'm not a fan of the WNBA but I am a fan of basketball and DC sports. A fan like me needs something big and fascinating like Brittany Griner to get into the sport. Seeing the team I would have picked to root for get shafted by the lottery just motivates me to ignore the league now. What's the point of getting into yet another cursed team in a fundamentally unfair league? I've got enough of that from the Redskins and Wizards already.

I think it is simple: Women who like sports like male sports. You can ask, Why isn't Division II football more popular? It's because it is not as good as D-1 football, which is not as good as NFL football.

I know two women who would seem to be the perfect stereotype for a WNBA fan (Lesbians who played some college hoops). They like the NBA.

Of course, this does not explain why women's tennis has always been popular. Or why the LPGA manages to survive.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

24-24 with Wall. Sit him on Wed and keep that record at .500 LOL.

But seriously, he has no business playing tomorrow. He's proven that he's on his way to stardom and clearly took the next step in his development. We know what we have with him, and I would much rather see guys like Ves get minutes to see if there is ANYTHING worth salvaging.

*edit*

We need to trade Nene this offseason. He's breaking down right before our eyes. We'll be lucky to have him play 55+ games in a season for the remainder of his contract.

He should sit simply for tanking purposes. I've given up the hope of getting 30 wins. It's more important to lose this last game. We're tied with Detroit and within one game of Sacramento and Minnesota on either end. That could mean the difference between picking 6th or 9th. And that in turn could mean the difference between getting Otto Porter or Cody Zeller or having to settle for Rudy Gobert or Alex Len.

I don't want to get Vesely'd again. We finished third that year IIRC and picked sixth. The players I wanted from that class were Derrick Williams, Enes Kanter, and Jonas Valanciunas.

Wall will play, we'll win the game, he'll tear his ACL, we'll lose the coin flip and finish 9th in the lottery, two or three teams behind us will leapfrog us and we'll end up picking 11th or 12th, every one that we want to draft will go in successive order immediately before we pick. Then the NBA will take away a third of our cap space for violating the spirit of the cap two or three years ago.

I honestly don't understand what is holding women's sports leagues back.

Yes you do.... They aren't exciting. I like Women's Basketball more than most people, but I don't break my neck to watch because it just isn't that exciting.

But yeah, the WNBA screwed themselves by hustling the Mystics like that. I will never watch another WNBA game again.

I think it is simple: Women who like sports like male sports. You can ask' date=' Why isn't Division II football more popular? It's because it is not as good as D-1 football, which is not as good as NFL football.

I know two women who would seem to be the perfect stereotype for a WNBA fan (Lesbians who played some college hoops). They like the NBA.

Of course, this does not explain why women's tennis has always been popular. Or why the LPGA manages to survive.[/quote']

I thought maybe women's basketball and men's would be different enough games to be an apples and oranges comparison so that the women's sport wouldn't suffer from the comparison.

If being judged against the quality of the NBA is holding the WNBA back, then there is no hope for it. That disparity will never change unless we start genetically engineering super women to be as big and fast and strong as NBA players.

Individual sports like Tennis and Golf are different. I don't watch the LPGA but I watch women's tennis, mostly the majors. I'll admit that a big part of that is how attractive some of the women's tennis players are. Also I suppose women's tennis isn't as dramatically lesser than the men's version. It's a lot slower, but it's still very fast. But beyond all that, the sport is entertaining. It has famous personalities in it that I can immediately recognize when I see them playing. Lots of women's tennis players are celebrities.

---------- Post added April-16th-2013 at 02:15 PM ----------

Yes you do.... They aren't exciting. I like Women's Basketball more than most people, but I don't break my neck to watch because it just isn't that exciting.

But yeah, the WNBA screwed themselves by hustling the Mystics like that. I will never watch another WNBA game again.

Sure, it isn't as exciting. But it just seemed like to me that women who played the sport growing up and in H.S. and college would have a special interest in following the pro league anyway. You get that fan base in the door and then the league gets some money and then you've got what you need to start marketing your league to the casual fans.

Sure, it isn't as exciting. But it just seemed like to me that women who played the sport growing up and in H.S. and college would have a special interest in following the pro league anyway. You get that fan base in the door and then the league gets some money and then you've got what you need to start marketing your league to the casual fans.

I hear ya.

If I was a betting man, I would bet soooo much money on the Wizards winnig tomorrow night. Just based on the simple fact that I want them to lose. :doh:

Of course' date=' this does not explain why women's tennis has always been popular. Or why the LPGA manages to survive.[/quote']Maria Sharapova, Anna Kournikova, Maria Verchenova? :-)

Seriously this thread has taken a weird turn. We look to be picking 8th or so right now.

We play the Bulls. The Pistons plays the Nets and the Kings plays the Clippers.

Wow, Smart is staying at school for another year. A little bad news for the Wizards

Yeah, not good for us. He was a top five lock this year. He just made a terrible financial decision that will cost him millions of dollars. He does not have a chance of going in the first five picks next season. He's probably a late lottery pick at best in next year's group and he's going to look really unathletic in comparison to the group of freaks coming out next season.

Remember when Holdsclaw was going to be the Female Jordan?

Those were fun times.

****' date=' she was going to play in the [b']NBA[/b] and return the Knicks to glory

tumblr_m41q8iJJk01qznj8ho1_500.jpg

And now you will never catch me talking about women's "basketball" again

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

"I'm going to sit down.... That's not necessary, to play the last two games. For what?

I spoke to my wife, my brother, my personal manager. It was so hard to play the way I did. I thought it was the end of my career because it was so painful," Nene said. "I'm glad I (played most of) the season, but the way I suffer I hope never again."

www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/nene-declares-himself-out-last-two-games

So... Nene was hurting so bad during this season that he was contemplating retiring. Hooray... I still strongly disagree with the mishandling and trading of McGee.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

For all of Javale's bonehead plays, at least he's on the court, he's HEALTHY, he doesn't cost a ton AND he's not old as dirt. Hated the trade then, still hated the trade during the season and still hate it now. Nene is old, injured and useless as far as I'm concerned.

Reminiscent of the days when we'd trade Chris Webber for an old Mitch Richmond and an older Otis Thorpe.

Or trade big for small (Rasheed Wallace for Rod Strickland- although we did get a pretty even swap)

Edited by pjfootballer

"I'm going to sit down.... That's not necessary' date=' to play the last two games. For what?

I spoke to my wife, my brother, my personal manager. It was so hard to play the way I did. I thought it was the end of my career because it was so painful," Nene said. "I'm glad I (played most of) the season, but the way I suffer I hope never again.[/color']"

www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/nene-declares-himself-out-last-two-games

The good news is that big men in their 30s with chronic lower leg injuries almost always make ful recoveries.

Actually, the exact opposite statement may be true. I need to research this.