Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

"I'm going to sit down.... That's not necessary' date=' to play the last two games. For what?

I spoke to my wife, my brother, my personal manager. It was so hard to play the way I did. I thought it was the end of my career because it was so painful," Nene said. "I'm glad I (played most of) the season, but the way I suffer I hope never again.[/color']"

www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/nene-declares-himself-out-last-two-games

So... Nene was hurting so bad during this season that he was contemplating retiring. Hooray... I still strongly disagree with the mishandling and trading of McGee.

On top of it all, he showed up to start the lockout shortened season EXTREMELY out of shape. That may have played a role with some of his injuries.

We're better off w/o Javale, because Nene has served a purpose in the "culture" change...and it's still a deal that I would have made at the time - even with knowing his injury history, contract, and age. Something had to be done. That being said, we need to find a suitor for him ASAP. What we saw out of him this year is probabaly the best he'll be going forward. Put that same output on a contending team like the Spurs, where he could come off the bench, and you'd have a dynamic player who could chip in 15-20 mpg.

No trade is impossible in the NBA unless your name is Amare Stoudemire. I don't have a lot of faith in EG, but a smart GM would do their best to move him immediately.

Yeah I have my doubts about whether he's ever going to be healthy again. If he's thinking retirement, then he doesn't have hope. What happens to his contract if he retires? Does it still count against our cap? Would him retiring totally screw us?

Nene is good when he's mostly healthy but we probably only saw 20 or 25 games where that was the case this season.

If Nene does retire and we're still on the hook for his contract, that's a huge blow. We'll have to find a big man on the fly. Hoping we get Bennett or Zeller.

PF/C is the clear need for this draft. We don't need a SF for the immediate future. If Nene/Okafor get hurt, what are you rolling out there? Seraphin/Ves/Booker/Singelton? I'm not even satisfied with most of those guys as role players, let alone starters. Scoring wings are way easier to find than solid big men. Hell, we got great production out of Webster for cheap in the FA market. Ariza/Webster will be fine at the 3 for next year, maybe even a few more years if the price is right.

If anything, I think the backup guard positions are a bigger need than SF at this point. Of course, I say all of this assuming we resign Webster.

A much cheaper option to fix the culture would have been to get rid of EG. The same problems that existed before McGee are still here after him. The dude was just made a scapegoat. Its sad, because he was really putting in the extra work to be great. He was dominant in a few different skills (blocking, alley-oop, dunking) and has the ability to take over and win a game once in a while. Something that Nene has done maybe 1 time since he has been here. Thats almost 2 seasons right there. Name another guy in this league that has the upside McGee has... And he's putting in the work to get there. Thats a guy you should always keep on your team.

We need another scoring option on this team out of the draft badly, because we sure as hell dont have the cap room to grab one in the FA. Once Beal went down, if became the Wall show. And once Wall was down, it was the Beal show ( somewhat). We need a third option. Im crossing my fingers for Porter. If he is off the boards, then Shabazz. Drafting a Center can wait. We absolutely need to start seeing some success next year. We have big men on the team at the moment that are under contract, and of course if the option is there next season, we can make a trade. A 6th man / scoring threat that is not Wall or Beal is dire. Webster is serviceable. But he is not that guy.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

On top of it all, he showed up to start the lockout shortened season EXTREMELY out of shape. That may have played a role with some of his injuries.

39 mil left on that contract after this year. No way in hell he comes close to producing enough to justify it. A good organization in Denver recognized their mistake in signing him to that extension and found a sucker to correct their mistake.

30 wins would be nice, but I still always put a precedent on the team actually giving a damn anytime their on the floor. Right now, they are showing it.

BTW, I don't see a problem talking mystics in here. I feel they got hosed last time they were in the playoffs moving a home playoff game to another stadium because of a pre-scheduled event. That's just ridiculous.

And I really hope Nene retires. It's what's best for both him and the Wizards at this point.

Goes without saying, but Vesely is such a terrible jump shooter. His feet were almost back on the ground before he released that shot. You can tell he's scared to shoot.

I think its the lights, the few times I've attended games, his shot looks so much more relaxed during shootarounds. He actually showcases things resembling an offensive game, but for some reason, he chokes up when it counts.

Oh man. If the wizards screw up and win this game......

God, I hate this mentality. What's the point of playing if you aren't trying to win? Does anybody really believe another lottery pick is going to "save" this franchise? After crap like picking Vesly or trading for Foye and Miller who aren't even on the team anymore?

Edited by Renegade7

You know what i hate? Winning meaning-less games that destroys our chance at a good lottery pick. Players that are absolutely essential to this team being good, because we have absolutely no chance of finding some diamond in the rough with this management. Lets be real here. We are talking about the Wizards. A team that went on a meaningless run at the end of a season that resulted in EG and Wittman getting contract extensions.

The trade for Foye and Miller was one of the worst draft day trades in history, and everyone hated it at the time. The same goes for Vesely.

Chances at a good lottery pick, smh. Like we need another small child who doesn't know how to play under the drinking age to help add talent to the roster. Regardless of who this team picks, they need veterans to help with the young talent they already have. We lost again, so I guess you get your wish.

Chances at a good lottery pick, smh. Like we need another small child who doesn't know how to play under the drinking age to help add talent to the roster. Regardless of who this team picks, they need veterans to help with the young talent they already have. We lost again, so I guess you get your wish.

You mean like Beal? Our second best player on the team?

Adding more veterans to this team will not help, and is not possible because we already have too much money tied to our current stellar cast of veterans. Our only option is to either get lucky in the FA (Webster), or have a good draft.

Goes without saying, but Vesely is such a terrible jump shooter. His feet were almost back on the ground before he released that shot. You can tell he's scared to shoot.

Wittman's fault. He worked on his shot all summer and early in the year everytime he took it and missed he was immediately benched. There isn't a young player on the planet that would gain confidence like that. He's not good but the way Wittmans chosen to develop him has made him worse. He was better last season.

You mean like Beal? Our second best player on the team?

Adding more veterans to this team will not help' date=' and is not possible because we already have too much money tied to our current stellar cast of veterans. Our only option is to either get lucky in the FA (Webster), or have a good draft.[/quote']

Beal was the second best player on the team for how many games? 20? 30? Draft picks take three years and nothing is going to change that. Before than they are hot and cold, some are solid contributors. This team needs a second star more than younger players. This draft IMO will not yield a starter for next season. Maybe Porter could start if the team doesn't resign Webster but I doubt it.

I'm of the mindset that the time is right to trade for a second star. Contracts are expiring and Wall is coming into his own. If not now, when?

Beal was the second best player on the team for how many games? 20? 30? Draft picks take three years and nothing is going to change that. Before than they are hot and cold, some are solid contributors. This team needs a second star more than younger players. This draft IMO will not yield a starter for next season. Maybe Porter could start if the team doesn't resign Webster but I doubt it.

I'm of the mindset that the time is right to trade for a second star. Contracts are expiring and Wall is coming into his own. If not now, when?

Well, we didnt even win 30 games... so... yea. You are completely right that we should not be relying on a rookie to be a star. It doesnt change the fact that Beal is our second best player right now. Nor does it change the fact that we have no cap space. We absolutely need to to trade Nene and Ariza. (Ariza should be kept if we cant bring back Webster though). Can EG find a willing partner for trade? Maybe. But i think most of our assets have lost tremendous value since the trade deadline other than Ariza and Okafor.

Okafor is a great low post option, and keeps himself in great shape. Id be more than happy to keep him around at a lower salary. We should have traded Nene for Josh Smith when they wanted him at the deadline. Even if Smith didnt resign here, we would atleast have cap space now. Smith could have looked nice here.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

The second half, yes.

Me too. The first half was agonizing. November and December were probably the most painful stretch in Wizards history. 0-12. 4-28. No hope. That fifth win where Beal hit the buzzer beater was a turning point. Wall came back the next game and then you had another lull in February with some negativity until March when Wall blew up. We've finally got some hope. We're going to be OK because Wall and Beal are good. Now we just need to get another good draft pick and not squander the fruits of a bad season.

---------- Post added April-18th-2013 at 02:07 AM ----------

Speaking of the draft. I've been working on a 2k13 draft class on and off for the past two months and I can't get the thing to work right. I've gotten all of the ratings and player info pretty good. I've tested it out several times and the players max out about where they should.

But I can not get the game to draft the players in a realistic order or properly value draft picks. The teams draft for need and make huge scouting errors. Basically, regardless of draft position, runs on one or two positions will happen and teams will take second rounders in the lottery. If a PG or SF get's taken first or second, 5 or 6 of the next 8 picks will be a PG or SF as teams just pick all of the draftable prospects at that position in order. Then PFs or Cs will go next, all in a bloc, so on and so forth. Anyone know how to fix this problem in the drafting AI?

But the upside of this problem is that you get ridiculous value picks at almost any point in the first 40 selections. I got Nerlens Noel at the 8th pick when I drafted for the Wizards. I then traded Vesely, Singleton, and Seraphin for another late lotto pick and drafted Otto Porter. Then with the 37th pick I got Victor Oladipo. You can end up with some nasty draft classes like that but it makes the game feel broken.

I just don't understand how a team can go season after season of not winning 30 games, constantly be in the lottery, have tons of cap problems year after year, yet still continue to not be able to get better. The enigma that is.....The Wizards. 1978 NBA Champs baby! Someone put Donna Summer on the turntable. It's time to celebrate. My parents said we "may" be able to get cable TV next year. We also got a new touchtone non-rotary phone, it's so easy to dial.