Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

They've hit 17 of 28 threes. You dont win many when that happen.

Yep. They're unstoppable when they play like this. Carmelo is amazing. He scored 20 in the third and just could not miss a shot no matter what kind of mess he threw up.

If the Knicks play Miami in the postseason, they are going to give them a series. They can reach the same level that Miami, SA, and OKC do when they're playing great. And nobody else in the league can get there.

This team will never be a championship the way it is constructed (unless we somehow get Dwight Howard).

But I can't wait until we are a playoff team... We all knew the Arenas days that we were never going to win a championship, but those were some fun times. Can't wait till next year.

Clearly we just needed to sub in Cartier Martin and Jan Vesely. I think those two are going to finish with a positive +/-.

That was a ridiculous 3 from JR Smith.

---------- Post added April-9th-2013 at 09:50 PM ----------

Our defense has been bad. But they're making it when we actually do play good D. Their shotmaking is just ridiculous. It's demoralizing. Let's just hope we get out of this one with no injuries and no records being set.

Yep. They're unstoppable when they play like this. Carmelo is amazing. He scored 20 in the third and just could not miss a shot no matter what kind of mess he threw up.

If the Knicks play Miami in the postseason, they are going to give them a series. They can reach the same level that Miami, SA, and OKC do when they're playing great. And nobody else in the league can get there.

Maybe I'm being homeristic, but given the "great at home, bad on road" nature of the Wizards, I think we could've given them a scare if we'd managed to claim the #8 seed.......well kinda. I think we'd have 3 nailbiting victories at home and 4 crushing defeats in Miami.

Maybe I'm being homeristic, but given the "great at home, bad on road" nature of the Wizards, I think we could've given them a scare if we'd managed to claim the #8 seed.......well kinda. I think we'd have 3 nailbiting victories at home and 4 crushing defeats in Miami.

We'll see how it goes tomorrow. Right now, I think you'd get maybe one W in a series--the game where Wall completely goes off. We just don't have the horses to compete right now. We need everyone of Ariza, Beal, Nene, Okafor, Webster, and Wall healthy and in good shape and that never happens. Are we going to be in better shape at the end of next season, when we'll presumably be in the playoff hunt? We'll be a year older. We've got injury problems, we need to get a good big man or forward that is durable. And we need a healthy year from both Wall and Beal to have a chance.

So realistically speaking, who is the best pick for Washington?

We can go with a Center in someone like Len who will supplant Okafor/Nene in the future. But that would require us to develop him. Which it seems is impossible for this team. Or do we go with a SF who can put up some points like Porter or Shabazz? With Beal hurting just as much as Nene, we desperately need to have another scoring option.

My dream scenario this offseason would be:

Draft Shabazz

pick up Jarrett Jack via FA

resign Webster if affordable

trade Nene / Ariza+ Booker/Ves for a pf or cap space

resign Okafor to a more cap friendly 2 year deal.

I wish we could have traded Nene for Josh Smith earlier this year.

I wouldn't even consider drafting Len. Maybe if he slipped to the 2nd but I'd hope he'd go back to school if that happened. Did he already put his name in? Hired an agent?

He'd be insane to go back to MD. In fact any big man would be crazy to go to that ridiculous offense and their trash guards. He's an NBA talent that needs to develop and he sure as hell playing for the terps.

So realistically speaking' date=' who is the best pick for Washington?

We can go with a Center in someone like Len who will supplant Okafor/Nene in the future. But that would require us to develop him. Which it seems is impossible for this team. Or do we go with a SF who can put up some points like Porter or Shabazz? With Beal hurting just as much as Nene, we desperately need to have another scoring option.

My dream scenario this offseason would be:

Draft Shabazz

pick up Jarrett Jack via FA

resign Webster if affordable

trade Nene / Ariza+ Booker/Ves for a pf or cap space

resign Okafor to a more cap friendly 2 year deal.

I wish we could have traded Nene for Josh Smith earlier this year.[/quote']

I don't like Shabazz for us any more. The dude has some trouble off the court and he's not good enough to overlook them IMO.

The best pick for us would be Noel IMO. He'd be the best pick for pretty much everyone except the Hornets and Dwight Howard's future team. He's going to go #1.

After him, I'd go with Bennett second. I think he's got the potential of a star 20 PPG scorer.

This would be my draft board right now:

1.) Noel

2.) Bennett

3.) Zeller

4.) Porter

5.) McLemore

6.) Oladipo

7.) Smart

8.) Len

9.) Burke

Knicks are hot. Maybe the Wizards can steal one tonight against the Heat depending on who is playing for them to try to get that 30th win. It would be a huge accomplishment to get 30 wins after being the worst team in the league through the first 1/3 of the season. Last 4 games are tough. I think they end up 31-51 when all is said and done. I had predicted 25-57 at the beginning of the season.

Anyone know anything about Rudy Gobert? 7'1 with a 7'9 wingspan?! That's insane if accurate, that's three inches more than JaVale's wingspan. Makes me want to see the two of them battle fir the armrest on an airplane. Like all the other centers in the draft he's a string bean.

Its hard to say much about the draft because the prospects are being reshuffled wildly. Shabazz is going to fall IMO. Trey Burke was originally outside of the top 5 but I think he's got a chance to go there now. Especially if a team that needs a point guard ends up there. I think he's potential trade bait for teams like Utah that desperately need a PG.

Edited by Destino

Anyone know anything about Rudy Gobert? 7'1 with a 7'9 wingspan?! That's insane if accurate, that's three inches more than JaVale's wingspan. Makes me want to see the two of them battle fir the armrest on an airplane. Like all the other centers in the draft he's a string bean.

Its hard to say much about the draft because the prospects are being reshuffled wildly. Shabazz is going to fall IMO. Trey Burke was originally outside of the top 5 but I think he's got a chance to go there now. Especially if a team that needs a point guard ends up there. I think he's potential trade bait for teams like Utah that desperately need a PG.

I think I saw a video of him hooping a few weeks ago. He's from France, right? If so, he's got Javale's athleticism. Very intriguing prospect. Rail thin, though.

I believe the Wizards will be drafting in the 8-13 range. Guys who I think will be there include:

Bennett, McGary, Len, Olynyk, Shabazz, McCollum, etc.

I'd prefer Bennett (if he's there), but I wouldn't object to a big like McGary.

Yeah I think Bazz falls too. I think some ugly things are going to come out in the interviews. But falling to a good team is probably the best thing for him.

Burke's performance in the tourney was pretty inconsistent but he flashed skills. He's a very nice shooter with limitless range. He's competitive, fairly strong for his size, poised, a tight ball handler who does a good job running the pick and roll. But he's physically limited IMO, and I wouldn't take him top five personally. He's not very fast and he's short. Not a great combination, but in this class, teams will have to settle for that. He's the best pure PG in the class and I think you're right that he'd be nice trade bait for a team like Utah. The question is, what could we get from them in return?

Probably has the highest upside in the draft. He's absurdly massive and mobile for his size. As you noticed though, the kid needs to add 30-40 lbs though. He has the frame to do it. From the few highlights I seen he seems to play more competently then McGee (not trying to do anything foolish off the dribble). He blocks a lot of shots...but hopefully not in the manner of our departed simpleton of a center. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him, just because of where his ceiling is. I think he also wants to come over this year and play. Which would help. He'd probably give more productive minutes then everyone on our bench except Ariza and Price.

---------- Post added April-10th-2013 at 01:07 PM ----------

Also after that putrid display of effort last night, i want someone who plays chippy, with some cot damn effort. Noel is such a great big cause of his hustle, he doesn't take plays off. Even if he is offensively challenged at the moment you know you'll get some decent production out of him on blue collar work alone. Booker and occasionally Vesely are the only bigs that seem to do that for us regularly. Nene/Okafor occasionally hustle but seems not that often to me.

Bennett's inability to hustle on D and exude effort both ways troubles me...I'm hoping he fixes that. Otto Porter generally seems to put energy into his defensive effort as well. For all of Shabazz's fault you can't tell me he isn't a hell of a competitor out there, he crashes the offensive boards pretty well for SF. I rag on Zeller a lot too but he does play every possession, I think he'll still find a niche in the NBA for that alone.

My top 5 right now is probably for us based on need:

Noel

Porter

Shabazz

Bennett (mostly on potential)

Len/Austin

Seeing as how we're slated at the 8/9 spot currently...and if you take into account other team needs, Noel McLemore and Smart should all go 1-3...The cavs should be picking 4th, and I think they'll either go the route of big man or best wing scorer they can get, preferably one that doesn't dominate the ball away from Kyrie. I think they'd go Muhammad or Oladipo. I don't see porter or Muhammad falling to us at the 8/9 spot. Burke is overrated, he will be the next Mike Conley, who i love as a player, but is no CP3.

Knicks are hot. Maybe the Wizards can steal one tonight against the Heat depending on who is playing for them to try to get that 30th win. It would be a huge accomplishment to get 30 wins after being the worst team in the league through the first 1/3 of the season. Last 4 games are tough. I think they end up 31-51 when all is said and done. I had predicted 25-57 at the beginning of the season.

Yeah, I really would not be floored if they win tonight ... they are playing that well at home.

It really got under my skin to lose to the freaking Knicks that way. I usually bail by mid 3rd Q if the Wiz are down by 20 or more, but I stuck through this one. So painful Refs were not helping either, they blew some massive calls man.

hate the knicks, pisses me off to see them do well.

Carmelo is sick though ... god.

We gotta learn how to develop a big man sometime, might as well be this year. We're gonna need replacements for Nene and Okafor real soon. We can find cheap ways of getting scorers in the FA market but big men are tough to find. I'm in favor of Len/Gobert/Zeller/Dieng/McGary at some point in the first round. Maybe trade down for Dieng or McGary.

I'm not sold on McGary, he seems like a one way player. He's strong, but not overly quick. Doesn't have much in the explosiveness department and probably won't end up being a rim protector. He's also an atrocious FT shooter. Seems like someone with limited upside. I'd rather have Zeller than McGary.

oh and Miami's big three is out tonight, watch us still find a way to lose.