Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The McDonald's game is on ESPN BTW. East team has Julius Randle, Wiggins, Kasey Hill, Noah Vonleh, and Dakari Johnson among others. The West team is just as loaded with Jabari Parker, the Harrison Twins, Aaron Gordon, and James Young among others.

That draft class us going to reshape the league. The top guys are unbelievably good and athletic. Their are probably five rising freshmen that could probably be the #1 pick this year.

Which guarantees we will finish with the 7th or 8th seed next year. Fate will not allow us to capitalize on one of the strongest draft classes of the last 10 years.

Adam McGinnis

‏@adammcginnis

Ron Thompson said an Olympic trainer told him that Beal's injury takes 3-6 months to heal, AND SO IT BEGINS....

:twitch:

Edited by StillUnknown

Wiggins is a breathtaking athlete. Completely effortlessly dominant. That boy does NOT need to go to Kentucky. Nor Kansas. He needs to go to FSU or UNC and score 25 a night.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 10:52 PM ----------

I'm calling my shot. First three picks of the 2014 NBA draft will be:

1.) Andrew Wiggins

2.) Julius Randle

3.) Andrew Harrison

With maybe Harrison and Randle swapping spots. Those three kids are unbelievably good. Strong, #1 caliber prospects in just about any year. Harrison is almost as good as Wall was, Randle is about as good as Griffin was, and Wiggins is nearly as good as LeBron was. Aaron Gordon is like a big Vince Carter and Jabari Parker is a Paul Pierce/Carmelo Anthony type and neither will be able to sniff the top three.

I want to see Zeller and Oladipo to go back to school and team up with Noah Vonleh for a big time run but they'd be fools to stick around for that year's draft. Same for McLemore, Smart, Bennett, and Burke. Len too.

McAdoo should go back though. Especially if Wiggins goes to UNC. He and Wiggins could win the ACC.

I mean, the 22-19 record since Wall came back kinda speaks for itself. This IS the real team. We're clearly on the upswing, but as this team learns how to win, there will be bumps in the road. Hopefully, we'll get to the point in the very near future, where teams that we should beat (Bobcats, Cavs, etc.) will actually be beaten.
It's like clockwork. We face Toronto at home, we allow 92 points while scoring 109 for a decisive victory. A couple of games later we face the same team on the road, allow a similar amount of points (88), but score 31 (THIRTY-ONE!!!) less points. The absence of Beal hurt, but it certainly doesn't account for this. The reason for the winning record since Wall's return that you cited is because we've won over 80% of our home games during that time. I don't think we can count on that to hold up over a whole season.

It's like clockwork. We face Toronto at home, we allow 92 points while scoring 109 for a decisive victory. A couple of games later we face the same team on the road, allow a similar amount of points (88), but score 31 (THIRTY-ONE!!!) less points. The absence of Beal hurt, but it certainly doesn't account for this. The reason for the winning record since Wall's return that you cited is because we've won over 80% of our home games during that time. I don't think we can count on that to hold up over a whole season.

The curse of Les Boulez

I missed the second half. Couldn't believe the box score when I looked it up. I bet that meltdown was horrible to watch, glad I missed it.

Brother, it was bad, especially the 3rd Q. It was the 5-28 Wiz playing. They Wiz got their 5th foul with SEVEN minutes left in the Qter, so the entire game was played at the free throw line.

I spiit my food out when I heard Buck say that the Wiz got outscored 29-12 in the quarter. that's amazing.

Frustrating cause this damn team is making me care now. oh well ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2013/04/05/wizards-emeka-okafor-trevor-ariza-both-intend-to-complete-contracts/

The Wizards fully expected that Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza would be under contract through the 2013-14 season when they acquired them last June from the New Orleans Hornets in exchange for Rashard Lewis’s expiring contract. Okafor and Ariza have early-termination options in their contracts for next season, but both confirmed this week their intentions to finish out their respective deals.

Part of me thinks is pretty unlikely they both replicate the production they showed this season, more so on Okafor than Ariza. It pretty much means the team you see now is the team that will return next year + Ernie's next draft pick.

and just a reminder of the GM we're going to be stuck with:

The Wizards came close to dealing Ariza to the Los Angeles Clippers at the trade deadline, but Clippers owner Donald Sterling reportedly balked on a deal that would’ve sent Caron Butler back to Washington. Ariza was uncertain about his future beyond this season.
Edited by StillUnknown

Trey Burke won the Wooden award by less that 100 votes. All of the top five got over 2,000 votes and no one got 3,000. Very very close vote. I'd love to see who wins the Naismith award. I'm thinking he'll sweep the awards by the smallest margin ever.

He's like a slightly better Jameer Nelson. Nelson swept the national awards in 03-04.

I picked a good night to attend a game, Wall is showing everything in the first. That block he had on Hibbert was amazing and the refs screwed him out of another highlight reel block. The Phone Booth was pissed at those refs.

---------- Post added April-6th-2013 at 08:13 PM ----------

Wall scored in just about every way imaginable in the first half.

Wall doing a "Derrick Rose pretending to be a PG" impression with 26 points and only 2 assists. I understand doing what you gotta do against a very good defensive team, but like pointed out, other players have to step up. It's great to have a player that can score 50, but you're really asking for it when he has to score 50...

Edit: Good Lord.

Edited by Renegade7

Up 17 with 4 minutes to go in an end of the season type game, Vesely still gets no minutes.

He was actually putting moves on Cartier Martin during pre-game shoot around

---------- Post added April-6th-2013 at 09:24 PM ----------

Vesely is finally in, my night is complete.

At the Wizards game, they're handing out replica championship rings for the 35th anniversary of the '78 championship.

That's pretty cool. Did you get one? Buck and Phil interviewed Dan Cook during the game. I didn't know the origin of the "opera ain't over until the fat lady sings" line before then.

---------- Post added April-6th-2013 at 10:36 PM ----------

Wall was amazing tonight. I didn't catch the whole game, just saw Wall going off. He looks so at home with the ball in his hands, dissecting any D now. What a weapon. He's basically single-handedly taken apart Memphis and Indy--the two best defenses in the league. The lightbulb is on.

I wonder if Wall can play like this for a whole year? If he could, and the team wins, and LeBron has a quiet year by his standards, Wall could win an MVP playing at this level. That's how it happened for Rose. It would be amazing if Wall, RGIII, and Harper all got MVPs.

That's pretty cool. Did you get one? Buck and Phil interviewed Dan Cook during the game. I didn't know the origin of the "opera ain't over until the fat lady sings" line before then.

ibl9Qwsbpq5Kse.jpg

Wall was amazing tonight. I didn't catch the whole game, just saw Wall going off. He looks so at home with the ball in his hands, dissecting any D now. What a weapon. He's basically single-handedly taken apart Memphis and Indy--the two best defenses in the league. The lightbulb is on.

I wonder if Wall can play like this for a whole year? If he could, and the team wins, and LeBron has a quiet year by his standards, Wall could win an MVP playing at this level. That's how it happened for Rose. It would be amazing if Wall, RGIII, and Harper all got MVPs.

The next step for this team is winning on the road, than and staying healthy. If that happens, and we get to a 4th or 5th seed, Wall would have to be the MVP race.

Wall looks like a dominant player. I really hope Ernie can find him a star to play with. Hopefully Bosh is getting sick of being the 3rd wheel.

I think Beal is going to be the second AS. I think he was the best perimeter player in his class and I think that'll be generally accepted as true by the time he's about 23 or 24.

Wall is going to have a the kind of scoring partner and two way player out on the perimeter that Derrick Rose has always needed but never really gotten. It'll make the team multi-dimensional. Will he have the kind of support in the front court that Rose gets? That's iffy IMO. Okafor has had some injuries in the past, Webster and Nene always have some sort of lingering issue. Probably more so even than Noah and Boozer. We don't have a front court player as good as Noah either. I'd love to get a big that can do the dirty work like Noah, hit open jumpers from mid range, make FTs, play GREAT D and clean up the defensive glass. A rich man's Okafor.

---------- Post added April-6th-2013 at 10:56 PM ----------

Nice, that's actually a cool giveaway. I that they are really trying to connect with the alumni and celebrate the legacy of the '78 team. IMO the 70's are pretty much a forgotten era in NBA history compared to the 60's and the 80's-present.

The next step for this team is winning on the road, than and staying healthy. If that happens, and we get to a 4th or 5th seed, Wall would have to be the MVP race.

Big hurdles, and realistically, not something likely to happen by next season. We're very reliant on Wall and Beal, Beal is still a baby in NBA years. We're structured similarly to Chicago, and if you look, Chicago finished .500 and 7th and 8th in the EC the first two years of the Rose era, didn't blow up into a 60 win #1 seed until that third year. They had to learn how to win on the road first. Our goal will probably be to get to .500 or a little better next year, make the playoffs, and get a taste of winning basketball. Then we can go from there. That's what we should have done this season but Wall's injury sunk us.

If we do start winning though, Wall is going to get MVP consideration because of how bad the team is without him. He'll be a candidate for the literal definition of "most valuable player" because of that.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

I think Beal is going to be the second AS. I think he was the best perimeter player in his class and I think that'll be generally accepted as true by the time he's about 23 or 24.

Wall is going to have a the kind of scoring partner and two way player out on the perimeter that Derrick Rose has always needed but never really gotten. It'll make the team multi-dimensional. Will he have the kind of support in the front court that Rose gets? That's iffy IMO. Okafor has had some injuries in the past, Webster and Nene always have some sort of lingering issue. Probably more so even than Noah and Boozer. We don't have a front court player as good as Noah either. I'd love to get a big that can do the dirty work like Noah, hit open jumpers from mid range, make FTs, play GREAT D and clean up the defensive glass. A rich man's Okafor.

What Beal will be is fun to talk about but Wall is ready now. Beal's missed a ton of time and he can't dribble. No sense in wasting Wall hoping Beal blows up in a few years, he might and I think he will but its not certain. A third good player on a rookie deal isn't a bad problem to have anyway. Besides the tried and true formula is an outside player with an inside guy. Give Wall a big that can ball and the Wizards are on the map.

Besides they have to do something soon, the entire team can be dismantled after next season.

I've gotta say, I really like Mitch McGary. He's strong and smart and has terrific hands. He's got the gift for rebounding. Totally dominant on the glass and he just anticipates how the ball bounces.

He's also a much springier athlete than I originally thought too. The sample size for him is tiny and he's a raw player offensively. But he is really talented and I would gamble on him if he declared. Probably late lottery into the teens is a good range for him. He's not your typical project big. He's physical as hell and has a very high bball IQ and an outstanding motor. Good size too.

---------- Post added April-6th-2013 at 11:11 PM ----------

What Beal will be is fun to talk about but Wall is ready now. Beal's missed a ton of time and he can't dribble. No sense in wasting Wall hoping Beal blows up in a few years, he might and I think he will but its not certain. A third good player on a rookie deal isn't a bad problem to have anyway. Besides the tried and true formula is an outside player with an inside guy. Give Wall a big that can ball and the Wizards are on the map.

Besides they have to do something soon, the entire team can be dismantled after next season.

Yeah I would like to get a front court player that can score. Either a big combo forward or a big that can be interchangeable at the 4/5. I really like Bennett for us for this reason, but I'm not expecting him to be available. Failing that, I'd like to get a true big man that can do all of the big man work and insulate us against Okafor leaving/declining. And if that's impossible too, then I guess we have to settle for BPA.

This class is a pretty poor forward crop though. Porter and Bennett are the only good ones, unless you count Muhammad as a SF instead of a SG.

FWIW, I think Beal is also going to improve rapidly and be ready to play at or near an AS level by year 3. He can be a big time scorer if we run an offense like Seattle or Milwaukee did with Ray Allen. Allen wasn't breaking defenses down off the bounce there. He thrived as the finisher in a very disciplined, movement heavy offense that got him lots of good looks at the basket.