Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

On a side note, did anyone see demarcus cousins last night? What a beast. Wasnt there some speculation of us going after him because of his problems in Sac town, or was that just extremeskin speculation? lol

Its a little deeper than just ES speculation. Cousins & Wall are really close, some folks assume they want to play together again.

Tried to do it with Kevin Love, when he told him to stop shooting 3's.

That is where Wittman's problem really shines. He doesn't really know how to use players who don't fit his preconceived notions of what a player of a certain height or build should be. Instead of trying to think of creative ways to use them, they get banished to the bench only to appear if one of the regulars gets hurt. Its really an out of sight, out of mind kind of operation.

It's not surprising that a guy that struggles with plays to the point where inbounding the ball is a problem wouldn't be good at creatively using players. He's a X and O nightmare. I give him all the credit in the world for motivating these guys to the point where the compete hard on the defensive end but his weaknesses are glaring. If this team makes the playoffs and don't add another player that can create to go with Wall I think the results would be UGLY.

I agree. Its sad too, Jan has the height, the athleticism, and hustle (sometimes), he can block shots, but he just does not have a good basketball IQ. I thought coming out he would be a lot better then he is, and I also thought that he would be a lot better in his second year but its more of the same. Disappointing so far.

It isn't about basketball IQ....if anything his baskeball IQ is higher than the average player....he has pretty good positioning when he is playing defense on the wing...problem is he gets into foul trouble when marking down low because of his lack of strength.

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 12:40 PM ----------

On a side note, did anyone see demarcus cousins last night? What a beast. Wasnt there some speculation of us going after him because of his problems in Sac town, or was that just extremeskin speculation? lol

The problem with Cousins is he doesn't go 100% all the time and he has a serious attitude problem. He is a cancer, I want him no where near my team. He also insists on shooting long jumpers (like Blatche) and has a terrible FG% for a Center. He has no business playing the perimeter and chucking up jump shots.

Edited by Gator Bait

Boogie had a slow start to the season and it had a big affect on his FG%...check his #'s for Feb/March. He's been EXTREMELY efficient. Dude has the tools to be the best offensive 5 in the NBA. I would take him on the Wizards any day of the week....as long as we keep either Nene/Oak in the fold to help keep him in check. Not to mention, he's very close with John Wall. I think it COULD work here in DC for COusins. Having a trio of Boogie/Wall/Beal is something to work with.

He's the product of an awful environment in Sacto and I think a change of scenery would be beneficial for all parties.

Edited by RonArtest15

Boogie had a slow start to the season and it had a big affect on his FG%...check his #'s for Feb/March. He's been EXTREMELY efficient. Dude has the tools to be the best offensive 5 in the NBA. I would take him on the Wizards any day of the week....as long as we keep either Nene/Oak in the fold to help keep him in check. Not to mention, he's very close with John Wall. I think it COULD work here in DC for COusins. Having a trio of Boogie/Wall/Beal is something to work with.

He's the product of an awful environment in Sacto and I think a change of scenery would be beneficial for all parties.

It isn't just about this season..it is about mentality. The guy has never seen a shot he didn't like...it has to do with discipline (something Cousins doesn't have and might never have).

I will agree with you that if he worked out anywhere, this would likely be the spot (because of the Wall ties)...he'd probably also work out in LAC, MIA, or Boston because of the veteran leadership/coaching there. I definitely agree that he could not only be the best offensive 5 in the game, but he has the tools to be the best center in the game period.

I agree with most of what you said, I'm just not willing to take a chance on another cancer....we just got rid of all our tumors and are doing well in remission...I'd hate to reverse that.

This draft sucks...if Sactown took our Lottery pick and a filler, I'd make the trade, but I think they'd want more value in return.

It isn't just about this season..it is about mentality. The guy has never seen a shot he didn't like...it has to do with discipline (something Cousins doesn't have and might never have).

I will agree with you that if he worked out anywhere, this would likely be the spot (because of the Wall ties)...he'd probably also work out in LAC, MIA, or Boston because of the veteran leadership/coaching there. I definitely agree that he could not only be the best offensive 5 in the game, but he has the tools to be the best center in the game period.

I agree with most of what you said, I'm just not willing to take a chance on another cancer....we just got rid of all our tumors and are doing well in remission...I'd hate to reverse that.

This draft sucks...if Sactown took our Lottery pick and a filler, I'd make the trade, but I think they'd want more value in return.

I think a gamble on Cousins would be totally worth it. Like you said, having strong vet leadership/coaching is the key component to making this work. Wittman, for better or worse, does have the respect of his players - I think that would go a long way with making sure that Boogie conforms within the team dynamic here in DC. Keeping Nene/Oak (one or both) in the fold is an absolute must if this trade was to go down. Sacramento is a disaster...from the front office, to the coaching, to the players. I really think that Boogie is just a product of that particular environment. He's picked up some awful habits, but he's a fierce competitor who wants to win badly. The Wizards are on the cusp of turning things around and landing a potential top-5 player at his position would be a major upgrade. The trade comes with risks, but the reward (in due time) could outweigh all of that.

I think a gamble on Cousins would be totally worth it. Like you said, having strong vet leadership/coaching is the key component to making this work. Wittman, for better or worse, does have the respect of his players - I think that would go a long way with making sure that Boogie conforms within the team dynamic here in DC. Keeping Nene/Oak (one or both) in the fold is an absolute must if this trade was to go down. Sacramento is a disaster...from the front office, to the coaching, to the players. I really think that Boogie is just a product of that particular environment. He's picked up some awful habits, but he's a fierce competitor who wants to win badly. The Wizards are on the cusp of turning things around and landing a potential top-5 player at his position would be a major upgrade. The trade comes with risks, but the reward (in due time) could outweigh all of that.

I can agree with that....fair assessment...I don't think you keep both Nene and Okafor if Cousins comes to town though. That is way too much money invested into three starting caliber front court players. Not really sure who you get rid of there....I think Nene is a better overall player than Okafor, but Okafor's contract is ending soon and he will not get as much as Nene gets. Also think Okafor is strictly a Center and Nene is interchangeable in the two positions. Okafor seems to be a bigger locker room influence from what I read. I guess it would depend on what Sacramento would want back. I think they'd want Beal or Wall included in the trade and that just isn't going to happen.

Didnt you just say you didnt want him any where near this team? lol

yeah...but RonArtest had some good points. I still think the guy is a bum and I don't think he'll change, but this draft is horrible and it is worth the risk if you can build the trade around that pick.

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 03:18 PM ----------

Let's talk the draft for a second...

Let's say we're in an absolute worst case scenario for the lottery are are picking between 9-13. Who are we looking at? I have a sneaky suspicion that Cody Zeller is going back to school (hopefully...for our sake LOL).

I'd take either Carter-Williams (we need a back up PG) or Plumlee (every team need an energy bigman).....this draft is so terrible though...I really wish we could get some sort of value from trading the pick (but it is doubtful).

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 03:19 PM ----------

Hopefully CLE takes Zeller, that'll screw them in the playoffs when defense/rebounding matter. It'd also help our ability to contend in the future.

Cleveland isn't making the playoffs next year if Zeller is their first round pick haha

---------- Post added March-29th-2013 at 03:23 PM ----------

I'm interested to see Tobias Harris and Harkless tonight. Harris might go off if Ariza and Webster are still out. Wall should be able to do his thing tonight and bounce back from the poor shooting night vs OKC.

I wanted Tobias harris soooo bad in the draft ....I had him 7th on my draft board behind #1 Irving #2 Willaims #3 Kanter #4 Thompson #5 Leonard #6 Faried

Was so pissed when we chose Vesely. I remember emailing Ted about the draft saying I really wanted Klay Thompson (a realistic pick at #6)...he said they like Thompson, but 6th was too high to take him....

so we took Vesely...meanwhile I think Thompson is averaging 16 points per game with a good 3pt % on a playoff team....DAMN IT Ted and Ernie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ORL is in an odd spot, they have a ton of young talent that could be potentially pretty damn good...The thing is, the big prizes next season in '14 draft are all fowards...Parker, Wiggins, Randle...Maybe they'd entertain trading one of Harris/Harkless if they got the 1st/2nd pick next season.

ORL is in an odd spot, they have a ton of young talent that could be potentially pretty damn good...The thing is, the big prizes next season in '14 draft are all fowards...Parker, Wiggins, Randle...Maybe they'd entertain trading one of Harris/Harkless if they got the 1st/2nd pick next season.

I'd gladly trade our pick this year for Harris

Let's talk the draft for a second...

Let's say we're in an absolute worst case scenario for the lottery are are picking between 9-13. Who are we looking at? I have a sneaky suspicion that Cody Zeller is going back to school (hopefully...for our sake LOL).

There is actually some chance Zeller could graduate by this summer, which might make his decision to leave early pretty easy. He's in line to graduate no later than January of this year. I wouldn't be shocked if he went back to school. But I'd be a little surprised. He's probably a top five pick this year.

I would love to get him if he fell to us but I don't think it will happen. He's the cleanest prospect in the class for a team picking high in the draft: 20 year old 7 footer with skills, an outstanding feel for the game, clean off the court, legit NBA athleticism, and top notch production two years in a row in arguably the best conference in the country. Players like that are rare, to say the least.

I think we're going to pick Alex Len if he's available.