Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I would trade Nene is a heart beat! He didn't just get injured this year this is every year and only going too get worst. When he's playing he's good but he is overrated imo he averages 13 and 7 and no blocks and he isn't getting any younger. Nene and 1st round pick for cousins should have been done.

The Wizards have no scoring depth other than Ariza.

Temple - limited offense

Martin - needs assists to score

Singleton - no reliable offense

Booker - has one move that sometimes falls and sometimes doesn't

Vesely - no reliable offense

Seraphin - giant inefficient gunner.

That unit group of terrible needs a PG to do anything. No good shooters in that group either. The wizards are absolutely going to need to upgrade the depth because that pile of garbage will probably cost the wizards 10-20 games.

There is a funny thing regarding this I don't understand. I remember in the beginning of the season, our bench did SO much scoring since our starters were inept. I think an improper rotation might be key. So many guys go through funks that they press because they don't want to lose minutes. I think Booker is shaping back up to form, the key with him is if he can stay healthy, but he's relatively cheap so I'm not so worried about him (I think he should be kept unless someone actually WANTs him for something valuable to us). Seraphin is passing way better these days. I still think he's salvageable. rebounding still needs to come into form. Whenever we get mathematically eliminated from playoff contention (yes I used the P word) Nene/Okafor ought to be shut down. There is no point in logging minutes on Nene I think, and Okafor will take away developmental minutes.

Vesely needs to keep shooting, as soon as he checked in last game I remember him clanking a jumper, I don't mind it cause he didn't hesitate. He'll never live up to his billing, but the organization needs to make some attempt in salvaging him. Singleton at SF isn't a total train wreck either. He should focus on catching and shooting though. He could learn a little from Webster in that regard.

Crawford was coming off the bench early in the season wasn't he? I think Webster was too. The bench, and team, needs more guys that can handle the basketball. You don't want a team full of iso players trying to be Kobe but guys that can take a few dribbles to get a shot would be great.

Other than Ariza and Temple what bench player can execute a straight line drive if he needs to bounce the ball more than once without it likely to result in a turnover? Thinking about that makes me sad.

It's almost criminal how MD uses Alex Len. I'm watching their NIT matchup against Alabama (no idea why) and he's open for lobs almost every possession but never receives the ball.

I'd be more than happy if we ended up with him somehow.

Preach. I've told the guys in the terps thread that but they're convinced he's terrible. He is open constantly and doesn't get the ball and they run no plays for him. Then when he mentally checks out they wonder why. I'm surprised he even bothers to run the floor, most bigs refuse to if they don't get the ball. Not sure he'll be good center in the NBA but he's better than his numbers in MD. He made a big mistake going to the terps.

Edited by Destino

Preach. I've told the guys in the terps thread that but they're convinced he's terrible. He is open constantly and doesn't get the ball and they run no plays for him. Then when he mentally checks out they wonder why. I'm surprised he even bothers to run the floor, most bigs refuse to if they don't get the ball. Not sure he'll be good center in the NBA but he's better than his numbers in MD. He made a big mistake going to the terps.
Agreed 100%. I won't say he'll be a star, big men with his frame tend to worry me a bit. But given how week this draft is and that we're rapidly moving toward the wrong side of the lottery, I think Len would be a great pick.

Right on cue they're finally finding him coming off those PNRs. He's wide open.

They mentioned John Walls 47 point night on First Take and wow. Skip said that he has always thought John was an undersized 2 guard and that he likes him as a scorer but not as a distributor. Stephen A chimed in saying he doesn't care about the Wizards because they're so horrible but that he does believe in Ernie Grunfeld. He then acknowledged that John Wall can play.

:ols: Incredible.

Which means Stephen A. Smith just lost credibility in my book about his NBA knowledge with the Wall and Ernie comments.

---------- Post added March-27th-2013 at 12:01 PM ----------

yeah ... i realize the Wiz crap the bed the first half, but 20-16 since The Great Wall of Chinatown returned and 15-6 at home since Jan? I mean ... maybe a little love, you freaking rats.

If your team doesn't have these letters in it (H-E-A-T) you are irrelevant to ESPN at this time.

Great article. Now we need to find a equally capable coach/trainer to work with Beal on his handles. In fact the team should sit down with every player on the team and talking about what kind of work they expect them to do in the offseason. They can't force them too but they can let them know what the team wants to see out of players that expect to play major roles going forward. They can also offer to pay and make facilities available to them... anything they need to do to promote player development .

Next thing is Vesely needs to learn to catch and shoot. From mid range and from three. He's never going to get on the floor a whole bunch unless he develops a good jumper. And if he got a three ball, he could really get a lot more minutes because he could start stealing them at the 3.

You have to have forwards that can shoot threes now.

Great article. Now we need to find a equally capable coach/trainer to work with Beal on his handles. In fact the team should sit down with every player on the team and talking about what kind of work they expect them to do in the offseason. They can't force them too but they can let them know what the team wants to see out of players that expect to play major roles going forward. They can also offer to pay and make facilities available to them... anything they need to do to promote player development .

You think Ted is going to pay for offseason training and facilities? :ols:

---------- Post added March-27th-2013 at 04:07 PM ----------

Next thing is Vesely needs to learn to catch and shoot. From mid range and from three. He's never going to get on the floor a whole bunch unless he develops a good jumper. And if he got a three ball, he could really get a lot more minutes because he could start stealing them at the 3.

You have to have forwards that can shoot threes now.

I can't take credit for this....one of my buddies pointed this out...but Vesely is not a 3/4....he is a 4/5. he needs to put on muscle weight and learn some post moves...focus on defense and rebounding....that's the only shot he has of being anything in the NBA.

---------- Post added March-27th-2013 at 04:11 PM ----------

I'm excited for tonight's game. OKC has a much better record than us, but we've kinda had their number in recent meetings.

I'd be more excited if it was a home game...I'm still going to watch and still slightly excited to see how Wall follow's his Monday performance, but I've got a gut feeling we lose by double digits.

Looks like everybody is out again tonight, going to be very hard to duplicate Monday night's effort in OKC.

Virtually impossible. OKC is gong to push the pace and the wizards don't have the horses to defend them. Are they trying to tank or are they really getting crushed so badly by injuries? I hope Nene can hold together next season.

2 quick fouls on Westbrook, both on Wall jumpshot attempts, teams starting to respect it.

---------- Post added March-27th-2013 at 08:55 PM ----------

Wall fading on so many shots tonight, not really getting set before he shoots.

Edited by StillUnknown

Tough matchups can challenge confidence and bring bad habits back. He needs to work through it.

Indeed, OKC playing him tough outside. On the bright side, he has 9 assists already against only 1 turnover, and he's getting to the line again.

Edited by StillUnknown

This game sucks...no fun to watch, so I've been looking up random ****. Fun fact....the Indiana Pacers are the best defensive team in the last 10 years of NBA play. Only San Antonio has been better in the past 14 years. Indian is currently holding opponents to a ridiculous .414% shooting from the field. San Antonio gave up .409 in 2003.

To give you guys some numbers to compare to....

this year:

OKC .428

GS/Wash .428 (tied for 3rd in the league)

Cle .478 (worse in the league)

worse in the past 14 years...get this...it is hilarious...2005 Toronto .491. To put that into perspective the best team that year in terms of offense was Phx with .479

anyways...I was thinking that if miami some how doesn't win it this year, my dark horse is Indiana. Paul George isn't done getting better and that team is in good cap shape...they are going to be an absolute force in years to come.

I don't think he's had a shot in which he's had good form, everything has been fading away.

Seemed tired. Not a good sign in the first game of the road trip. The team is already gassed. To beat teams as good as Memphis and OKC with this lineup, Wall basically has to do what he did the game before. This Wizards group was like the bad days from the beginning of Wall's first two years.