Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I think the plan was always going to be to bring EG back for next year TBH. They just desperately wanted an excuse to sell it to the public. If we had only won like ten games this season then that might have forced their hands. But I doubt Ted wanted to fire EG and blow up the build and have o pay both EG and Wittman and a new staff. He's probably still paying for flip too isn't he?

Grunfeld deserved to be fired after the 2009 draft. But firing him now is problematic because a new GM is going to probably come in and blow this build up. You'd have to either suck it up and start over with a new guy's vision. Or you'd have to find a new guy who is willing to keep building around the young pieces we've got in place. I think it'd be difficult to find a good GM willing to accept that kind of condition.

Personally, I think we owe it to ourselves to let this Wall/Beal build develop. They need good bigs and wings to progress right now. Right now we've at least got decent starters at those spots and one or two decent reserves. I'm skeptical we'd be able to keep all of that in place without taking any steps backwards if we brought a new GM in right now. I think we might have to wait for Wall and Beal to get good enough to carry a team on their own before making major changes.

What build? Other than Nene this team doesn't have to pay any player on the team after next season. This team is a two year patchwork. With all the contracts expiring or being team options and Wall and Beal looking good I think now is a great time for a GM with some vision to come in and put something around Wall and Beal that can win long term. This team should be able to get a star in the font court to go with them and that would really be something special.

The wizards are in position to make a move but Grunfeld has accepted that players don't want to come here and he's looking to build a mediocre squad.

Edited by Destino

I am very narrow sighted as the tournament is pretty much the only college basketball I see, but I was not impressed with Zeller from Indiana. He didn't seem to be anything special to me, looked like a solid all around game but nothing spectacular. I hope we don't land him.

None of the highly regarded payers have really shined. Mclemore scored 2 points on 0-9 shooting today.

Watching the tournament has made me hope they offer the pick and Okafor for Cousins.

Edited by Destino

None of the highly regarded payers have really shined. Mclemore scored 2 points on 0-9 shooting today.

It's been a bad tourney for the top prospects. Someone said they saw some data that indicated good tourney performances were an indicator of someone getting drafted high but not of NBA success. Personally, I doubt personnel people weight the tourney games as much as fans do. I doubt they weight all of the games in general as much as fans do. I think they isolate tools when they watch film and work the players out, and that's what they focus on, not the overall picture of the games where outside factors like team and system get mixed in. Otherwise, how else can Dion Waiters go fourth last year?

The main thing that sucks about so many of the top players playing like crap so early in the tourney is that we don't get to keep watching them to do our own arm chair scouting since that's the only first hand information about them that we have access to.

Ben Howland got fired. That's got to be the worst 25-10 conference championship season in recent memory. The writing was on the wall though, he's just not a top notch coach. Did a good job recruiting though. Then again, how hard would it be to recruit for UCLA?

---------- Post added March-25th-2013 at 11:34 AM ----------

Agreed.

Thirded. It's a risky move, but the kind of move that could vault this team into a future power team.

None of the players in this class are as talented as Cousins. And the only guys I feel safe picking this year are Zeller, Porter, Bennett, and Nerlens. I'm skeptical any of them will be on the board for us. I could see Zeller and Porter going back to school.

Ben Howland got fired. That's got to be the worst 25-10 conference championship season in recent memory. The writing was on the wall though, he's just not a top notch coach. Did a good job recruiting though. Then again, how hard would it be to recruit for UCLA?

---------- Post added March-25th-2013 at 11:34 AM ----------

Thirded. It's a risky move, but the kind of move that could vault this team into a future power team.

None of the players in this class are as talented as Cousins. And the only guys I feel safe picking this year are Zeller, Porter, Bennett, and Nerlens. I'm skeptical any of them will be on the board for us. I could see Zeller and Porter going back to school.

UCLA spoiled their fans during their heydays. Much like UNC, Kansas and Duke, anything but a championship banner is failure. Being here in Charlotte, I get all the UNC fans calling in and despite them winning 25 games this year, you'd think by their fanbase, they finished 11-25 instead of 25-11.

Agree with the trade for Cousins. I'd do it in heartbeat.

Watching the tournament has made me hope they offer the pick and Okafor for Cousins.

---------- Post added March-25th-2013 at 02:42 PM ----------

here's the thing....why would a team trade their best player for a draft pick in a historically bad draft class and a downgrade of a player they already have? Answer: They won't!

This pick is worth more to us than trading it away. We are more likely to get a solid starter in this draft than turn the pick into something good in a trade (and this is coming from the guy who wanted to originally trade the pick away).

I say we go best available, regardless of position.

here's the thing....why would a team trade their best player for a draft pick in a historically bad draft class and a downgrade of a player they already have? Answer: They won't!

This pick is worth more to us than trading it away. We are more likely to get a solid starter in this draft than turn the pick into something good in a trade (and this is coming from the guy who wanted to originally trade the pick away).

I say we go best available, regardless of position.

I agree with you in terms of it not being likely but it's not going to kill the front office to give it a try. You never really know what a GM is thinking and some may want to shed salary or get younger. The Wizards should be exploring a way to add a allstar caliber front court player to go with Wall and Beal. If the pick can get the wizards a great player in return they can pull the trigger. If not, they can go BPA. I think that Wall's elevated play and the fact that they've looked respectable may make the city more attractive to free agents. Bosh may need to exit Miami. Howard may decide that the Laker's are a bad fit. Josh Smith is going to hit free agency. Cousins doesn't have a great relationship with the team. Utah needs to add backcourt talent and they have bigs to spare.

My point is that the Wizards might have a chance to do something and I hope they try.

Wall is hitting his shot again. We're almost to where his not hitting his jumpshots would be more of a story. Too bad the season is almost over, 12 games left.

---------- Post added March-25th-2013 at 07:29 PM ----------

Vesely is in! I'm excited.