Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

We've gotten extremely good at home though. Currently on an 8 game winning streak in Verizon. I think winning 30 home games next season is doable. Hell we've got a chance to win 23 or 24 this season despite the horrific start. If we can get just below .500 on the road next year, we can get to 50.

Which is good considering the team is still tied for last on the road with only 7 wins. They'll eventually figure it out... I mean they have to right? You can't be that good at home and be trash on the road forever.

Hey all, unfortunately missed the game tonight. I could read the box score but we all know that can lie sometimes. What do I need to know about tonight's game and how we won?

I'm especially interested in Singleton/Booker/Seraphin. Any of them have good games, bad games, etc.?

Thanks in advance fellow Wizardsbros.

We're 17-4 at home since Wall returned. 6-14 on the road during the same timeframe. This is mind-boggling to me. How the heck is there such a disparity? Are our fans really that good? Having a home court advantage is one thing, but this is unreal. Which begs the question.........going forward, who are the real Wizards - the ones who just beat the #6 seed or the ones who lost to the 3 worst teams in the league over the past couple weeks?

We're 17-4 at home since Wall returned. 6-14 on the road during the same timeframe. This is mind-boggling to me. How the heck is there such a disparity? Are our fans really that good? Having a home court advantage is one thing, but this is unreal. Which begs the question.........going forward, who are the real Wizards - the ones who just beat the #6 seed or the ones who lost to the 3 worst teams in the league over the past couple weeks?

I mean, the 22-19 record since Wall came back kinda speaks for itself. This IS the real team. We're clearly on the upswing, but as this team learns how to win, there will be bumps in the road. Hopefully, we'll get to the point in the very near future, where teams that we should beat (Bobcats, Cavs, etc.) will actually be beaten.

How about John Wall? His March was unbelievable. His game last night was incredible. I'm sorry, but the whole Wall/Kyrie debate needs to be put to bed. Wall is the superior POINT GUARD. People get so caught up in the stats put up by Irving that they are blind to the fact that he's not exactly leading his teams to wins OR making his teammates that much better. Like I said before, Irving is probably the most efficient and dynamic scoring guard in the league...however, if it came to picking a player who I wanted to actually run my team, give me Wall over him 10x outta 10.

What? You mean, you don't want to be 41-41 every year? I thought that was the benchmark of Wizard fans?/sarcasm.

Oh, it's you again.

This team (if relatively healthy next year) SHOULD be over .500 next year and fighting for 6-8 seed in the playoffs next year.

Oh, it's you again.

This team (if relatively healthy next year) SHOULD be over .500 next year and fighting for 6-8 seed in the playoffs next year.

I guess being over .500 would be a step in the right direction since they've been so god awful the last 5 years. But again, I have my sights set on a 50+ win seasons and a 1-4 seed, year in and year out.

You know I'm a diehard, lifelong Wizards fan. I could never switch teams and root for anyone else. But 30+ years of pent up frustration has gotten to me the last few years. My ire is more at the NBA itself and not so much at the Wizards, even though they do have their share of the blame.

I used to listen to them on the radio at night before all the games were shown on TV. I remember catching the games on channel 20 once a week. I remember watching all their games on HTS with Mel Proctor and Phil Chenier calling the games. Jeff Malone was my favorite player in the 80s.

I just would love for the team to talked about in the same circle as the Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Thunder, etc. I'm just tired of the team being an also ran.

Edited by pjfootballer

John is a better all around player than Kyrie. He's more of a DWade type guard that can impact the game in many ways--facilitating, defending, blocking shots, rebounding, plus scoring. Kyrie is clearly a better shooter and scorer than John but those are the only things he's got over him. John is showing that he can shoot and score well enough to play at an AS level too.

Bottom line, the nation will start to appreciate John's game if the Wizards start winning. And if the Cavs don't start winning next year, then people will start noticing the warts in Kyrie's game and he'll catch as much heat as John did.

John is a better all around player than Kyrie. He's more of a DWade type guard that can impact the game in many ways--facilitating, defending, blocking shots, rebounding, plus scoring. Kyrie is clearly a better shooter and scorer than John but those are the only things he's got over him. John is showing that he can shoot and score well enough to play at an AS level too.

Bottom line, the nation will start to appreciate John's game if the Wizards start winning. And if the Cavs don't start winning next year, then people will start noticing the warts in Kyrie's game and he'll catch as much heat as John did.

The push with the media that Kyrie is getting (IMO) is partly due to how Lebron left the Cavs.

So we're 23-18 since Wall came back, exactly half a season with him. 56% with him projects to 46 - 38 over a whole year. If he's healthy, he'll be better next season even if he doesn't add anything to his game this summer just from not having to work himself back into shape mid season. Oak is going to be back, Ariza probably will be, Martell hopefully will be. As long as we don't suffer any major and prolonged injuries to Wall or Oak, I think we'll come close to 50 wins. If we get mostly healthy years from those two plus Nene, Beal, Webster, and Ariza, we can win 50+ next year.

Wizards and expectations do not go well together. I still have my skepticism going forward. Any decent team should win most games at home, but if you cant win on the road in the NBA consistently, then your just a pretender IMO. Judging by the draft slot they will most likely get, a high impact rookie is a long shot at this point and they dont really have cap room to add anyone. The guard depth is still piss poor. Basically the same team next year without the advantage of playing 'meaningless games' since they started off so poorly.

This is the Washington wizards we're talking about. No 50 wins season since the '70s and a high of 45 wins recently. LOL

The push with the media that Kyrie is getting (IMO) is partly due to how Lebron left the Cavs.

Nike plays a large role in his push.

Adidas is getting better, but when it comes to promotion, Nike knows what its doing. Wall was with Reebok at first, he might as well have been on an island.

Edited by StillUnknown

Adidas is getting better, but when it comes to promotion, Nike knows what its doing. Wall was with Reebok at first, he might as well have been on an island.

Nike isn't dumb...they HAD to push Kyrie like that.

Also, I think Adidas owns Reebok. I wish Wall never signed with them to begin with. If I remember correctly, he had problems with the Reebok shoes from the moment he signed on with the company. There were issues with his ankle/knees that were partly due to the shoe design.

Nike pretty much has to push Kyrie because if they didn't no one would really hear about him at all. Cavs games get virtually no national attention and ESPN only really talks about him when he does something HUGE. The most buzz he got all year from the sports media was when he really raised eyebrows during allstar weekend. Other than that his notoriety is pretty much all Uncle Drew.

Wall is in the same boat because they media regards the Wizards as another Cavs type bottom feeder... only he wasn't there for allstar weeked and had no Nike push. He's invisible nationally.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 05:46 PM ----------

J. Michael

‏@JMichaelCSN

CONFIRMED: Beal's right fibula injury IS connected to playing thru a high rt ankle sprain that he's had for a while, too #WizardsTalk #NBA

Hopefully they find a way to strengthen whatever they need to so that his ankles don't become a constant issue. He's going to miss 26 games this season and that will likely be more than Nene. Can't have the teams best players missing so much time if the wizards are going to make a push next season. Does anyone know how long this will keep him away from basketball? I'd hate for him to be unable to work on his game during the offseason.

Edited by Destino

Hopefully they find a way to strengthen whatever they need to so that his ankles don't become a constant issue. He's going to miss 26 games this season and that will likely be more than Nene. Can't have the teams best players missing so much time if the wizards are going to make a push next season. Does anyone know how long this will keep him away from basketball? I'd hate for him to be unable to work on his game during the offseason.

Can't remember who, but one of the basketball writers on twitter said 6 weeks of non-activity.

Toronto is so screwed. They've got good young talent but they screwed themselves over trading for Rudy Gay. They should have gone into the tank and tried to build around DeRozan & Valanciunas. Lowry is decent, Bennett would have been a perfect fit.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 08:21 PM ----------

Alex Len looks a lot like Jonas Valanciunas.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 08:25 PM ----------

Webster has been cold lately. I think his injury is really effecting him.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 08:27 PM ----------

Well we really pissed that lead away. We look totally lethargic.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 08:32 PM ----------

4 points in the first 5 and a half minutes of the 3rd qtr. Awful. Wittman just now decides to make a lineup change...

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 08:47 PM ----------

Wall is going to have to put us on his back again tonight. Nobody else can score. Unbelievable we're still in the lead. I really want us to get this win.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 08:50 PM ----------

That technical on Vesely was probably the worst technical call I've ever seen.

Nightmare third quarter. Horrific.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 08:59 PM ----------

We've got no offensive rhythm at all. This is hard to watch.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 09:16 PM ----------

Good God our shooting has been so poor.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 09:23 PM ----------

Worst half of basketball for us since somewhere during 5-28.

At least the Nats are up 3-0. It's nice having two sports to follow at once.

---------- Post added April-3rd-2013 at 10:19 PM ----------

The McDonald's game is on ESPN BTW. East team has Julius Randle, Wiggins, Kasey Hill, Noah Vonleh, and Dakari Johnson among others. The West team is just as loaded with Jabari Parker, the Harrison Twins, Aaron Gordon, and James Young among others.

That draft class us going to reshape the league. The top guys are unbelievably good and athletic. Their are probably five rising freshmen that could probably be the #1 pick this year.