Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Which is why the Bertans contract is terrible. The third highest paid player should not be one dimensional. Not that you were arguing otherwise, I just like to bash that contract. 

Bertans used to be good that's why they gave him the contract extension. Seems like he's regressed this year by a lot.

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

Bertans used to be good that's why they gave him the contract extension. Seems like he's regressed this year by a lot.

I agree.  Bertans got paid to do one thing, and he's not even doing that.  You're paying him $14mil to shoot 40-45% from 3 on 5-10 attempts every night.  This dude is at 33%.  This is the proverbial "you have ONE job".  He's just been awful.  

I also think though, this is one of those deals where if he goes cold in the middle of the season, it doesn't stand out as much.  Slumps happen.  But coming out if the gate like this just magnifies it.

Keeping John, his bad knees and his $171 mlilion contract is the kind of Ernie Grunfeld talk that has kept this franchise in the basement for the last 2-3 decades. 

Sorry this team sucks, but John isn't going to time warp his knees back to 2017 and lead us anywhere in 2021. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hersh said:

Wall is 5-14 in 28 minutes with a solid -29. He’s not better. 

there are still trades to be made and I’d rather they gather young assets than a player like Middleton, who is older than Beal.

To be fair, this was his worst game of the season, he was +26 the game before.  He's a -3 on the season, but he was a -7 at the beginning of 2018 before he got hurt.  

In aggregate, he's shooting 48% from the field and is basically producing close to his previous level other than assists, which can directly be attributed to the presence of Harden.  And he's still only 6 games in from 2 years off.  I'll be interested to see what he's like as he gets deeper into the season.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I agree.  Bertans got paid to do one thing, and he's not even doing that.  You're paying him $14mil to shoot 40-45% from 3 on 5-10 attempts every night.  This dude is at 33%.  This is the proverbial "you have ONE job".  He's just been awful.  

I also think though, this is one of those deals where if he goes cold in the middle of the season, it doesn't stand out as much.  Slumps happen.  But coming out if the gate like this just magnifies it.

In general, I think teams are going to regret paying one dimensional shooters big contracts. OR the Wiz need to figure out a way to use him more effectively which I'm willing to concede could be part of the problem.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

He was really only good for a season. I hope he starts playing better so he can be traded at some point for an asset/younger player. I'm all in on a full rebuild. 

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

Keeping John, his bad knees and his $171 mlilion contract is the kind of Ernie Grunfeld talk that has kept this franchise in the basement for the last 2-3 decades.  

Actually, building around a player, misdiagnosing his injury For 6 years, then trading him at his lowest value plus draft capital for diminishing returns and a guy that doesn’t fit the current roster while scape goating the franchise player and keeping the same coaching staff is exactly the kind of Ernie thing we could expect from a guy that spent a decade learning underneath him.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Actually, building around a player, misdiagnosing his injury For 6 years, then trading him at his lowest value plus draft capital for diminishing returns and a guy that doesn’t fit the current roster while scape goating the franchise player and keeping the same coaching staff is exactly the kind of Ernie thing we could expect from a guy that spent a decade learning underneath him.

Let it go man.

The guy's been done for 3+ years now.  

15 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Let it go man.

The guy's been done for 3+ years now.  

Nah. Y’all out here blaming Bertans who doesn’t fit with Westbrook, and ready to bail. Maybe we can trade him along with a 1st for rob Covington lol. Russ was never going to fit with Bertans or Deni. Perimeter kick outs into the shooting motion of spot up threats is not his game. It has never been his game. 

We could have had wall kicking out to one of three elite perimeter threats, and now have Russ and Brad iso balling their way into crowds. Most of the blame is at Ted/Shep/Brooks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Why didn't we have that last season?

Or the season before?

Or the season before?

I could give you a variety of answers, but I know I’ve posted them many times here. In short, Ted/Shep/Ernie and Brads camp are the primary reasons for the state we are in. We traded away our best player in the same manner we’ve done the past 20 years, and are worse off because of it... looking for scapegoats outside of the obvious. 

Bradley Beal is now Tonya Harding.

Must've done a wrench job to John's knees.   :ols:

Just messing with you dude. But also reminding you that an injured player is a nothing. He's not your best player. He's not your franchise player to build around. He's costing you $40+million to not play basketball. 

Brad Beal is a phenomenal SG. He is a good dude with a good head on his shoulders. And he’s been largely healthy since the stress fractures. 

But He is not a guy who you can rely on to carry the team in the clutch, or make others better. 

As for Wall: westbrook sits out the same number of games right now, cant shoot from anywhere ( and it’s getting worse), and cost us a 1st on top of it. Should have waiting til Allstar break to make any decision. Westbrook wasn’t going anywhere. 

• Thanks 1

So Suns -6.5 tonight? ESPN article says Beal is out for health and safety protocols, but I don't see that mentioned anywhere else.

Nevermind he is playing.

Yeah, the Westbrook trade looks horrible right now. I don't really mind, I think it was a wash either way. The draft pick is what makes it uneven - although it is heavily protected from what I recall.

Edited by abdcskins

We can endlessly go back and forth on Wall vs Westbrook. The +/- does tell the story about Beal and that Westbrook adds value. 

At the end of the day, everyone except the Wizards entire organization seems to understand the following:

1.  the obvious roster flaws
  2. that there needs to be a new coaching staff
  3. there is no organizational direction
  4. the owner sucks
  5. the name sucks
  6. Fans are tired of the incompetence
  7. the broadcast team is as bad as it gets

Did I miss anything?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Brad Beal is a phenomenal SG. He is a good dude with a good head on his shoulders. And he’s been largely healthy since the stress fractures. 

But He is not a guy who you can rely on to carry the team in the clutch, or make others better. 

I looked at his numbers in the 4th quarter and even just when the game is close situations, and it's pretty pitiful.  Just this year, 35% FG in the 4th, 17% from 3 in the 4th, 42% when the game is within 5 points.  I'm sure there's an argument that his usage is too high, thus wearing him down in the clutch and at the end of games.  He's putting up almost 4 more shots a game than the next closest person in the NBA.  Some guys can absorb that load, not sure Beal can.  Not that he's ever really been good in clutch moments.

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

But John Wall's done! 🤨

Blow. It. Up.

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

2017 Wall was amazing.  And in 2018 he still labored his way to a 19 & 9 season and AS appearance.

I miss him more and more, I could better deal with the losing when he was here.  I dont like this squad, only Rui right now.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I miss him more and more, I could better deal with the losing when he was here.  I dont like this squad, only Rui right now.

I don't dislike the team, although I suspect Beal had a hand in shipping Wall out and that would be quite disappointing if true.  I think they're a fairly likable bunch, the problem is I don't believe in them.