Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

4 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Westbrook with the dumbest shot of the year..

Irving just as dumb. Just a switch on Rui and settles when it would’ve been an easy layup 

Just now, MonkFan8 said:

Wiz were marginally less bad than the Nets. Can anyone explain why Bertans was on the floor for that last defensive possession when we need a stop to win the game?

do the Wizards have a better defensive option in that situation?

Just rewatched Rui’s scoring, and dude basically just feasted on smaller players switching on to him.  Getting him the ball when he’s got a mismatch like that should automatic for Brad and Russ. 

I’m a little puzzled by him though.  When the wiz drafted him he wasn’t strictly a low post player.  He was a guy that could handle the ball a bit, shoot off the dribble, and create his own shots.  Not like a guard, but to exploit a mismatch.  He’s not really doing much of that at all this season.  Not even trying it.  I’m not sure this is a good thing long term. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hersh said:

do the Wizards have a better defensive option in that situation?

Bonga is a pretty good defender

Deni with a no show today....I'm going to keep beating the future bust hammer until proven otherwise. He shows some flashes here and there, but Haliburton would be perfect on this team

7 hours ago, Destino said:

Just rewatched Rui’s scoring, and dude basically just feasted on smaller players switching on to him.  Getting him the ball when he’s got a mismatch like that should automatic for Brad and Russ. 

I’m a little puzzled by him though.  When the wiz drafted him he wasn’t strictly a low post player.  He was a guy that could handle the ball a bit, shoot off the dribble, and create his own shots.  Not like a guard, but to exploit a mismatch.  He’s not really doing much of that at all this season.  Not even trying it.  I’m not sure this is a good thing long term. 

Rui isn't gonna get much opportunity to handle the ball like that until there is a coach that calls plays for him to do that. Wiz do a poor job of identifying mismatches in the post. 

6 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Deni with a no show today....I'm going to keep beating the future bust hammer until proven otherwise. He shows some flashes here and there, but Haliburton would be perfect on this team

There isn't much strategy to develop him at the moment. No real rhyme or reason to rotations or playing time at this point but it's still early and, much like with Rui, they aren't going to call plays for him which is a big problem. 

10 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Just not a fit on this team.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I really don't think Deni would have been a fit with Wall either. Deni seems to want to play a point forward position, but that's impossible with ball dominant guards like Wall/Westbrook

I agree. He should come off the bench for now and have the opportunity to handle the ball with the second unit. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Destino said:

Nah, i think that's a waste of time. 

Rui's never going to be that kind of player on the floor. (no jumper, lacks athleticism) He needs to be able to bang inside, grab rebounds, finish in the paint.

1 on 1 opportunities in the post is what we need. 

13 hours ago, Destino said:

There is zero room for his face up game in the starting lineup right now.  Westbrook and Beal suck up all of the usage in the offense. They are collectively at 65% usage so far this season.  That is ridiculously unbalanced.  That would be a miserable offense to play in.

Deni's face up game is squeezed out too.  What is the point of going to the trouble to acquire all of these dribble--pass--shoot young players the past three years only to stifle them in a system and basketball hierarchy which gives them no opportunities to dribble or pass?  All they are going to get to do is set screens and spot up.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Tough game tonight. Beal doing his best to keep us in it with 30+ already before the half. But PHI is just spreading us out and hitting evvvvvverything..

Yeah this is one of those days where you just get shot out the gym.  Philly is hitting absolutely everything.