Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

Let me reiterate by saying anybody who isn’t Shaq or Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman that shoots 1-8 from the foul line at any point is a certified SCRUB.

It was a bad shooting night, we already know he’s a good free throw shooter.  

5 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I'm surprised he took it. Then again, maybe it makes him more valuable on the trade market to a team that would have him locked up for more years. I don't know.

Its a good deal for all parties really. The wizards get a committment and time to prove to him their plan will work. Beal sets himself up for a potential 5yr, 266mil contract down the road

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was at the Wizards game Sunday and the Bucks signed for nearly everyone, except Giannis who warmed up before gates opened. When the game ended he signed for like 3 people and ran off the court. There were like a dozen people or more waiting for autographs.

Wonder how often NBA players sign by the tunnel during warmups because **** if they do what they did Sunday often you can bet I be attending Lakers and Pelicans games. Watch me in the crowd hustling trying to get Zion autographs 😎

It's a really good sign that he signed this extension.  It means he's bought in to the changes we've made and that he likes playing for Brooks and likes living here.

Unless we change course for some reason, I think we can expect him to sign an extension that carries him through the remaining productive years of his career when the time comes.

This is the benefit of having a plan, sticking to it, and treating your foundation players like partners.  You build trust.  We also got lucky with John and Brad in terms of the kind of personalities they have.  Those guys are loyal.  Not selfish flakes like Paul George or Kawhi Leonard.

The only problem is, how do you build a championship contender in the NBA when you're maxing your guards and your team can't play defense at all?  This relatively opened up era in the NBA isn't going to last for long either.  Feels an awful lot like we missed our window.

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

his relatively opened up era in the NBA isn't going to last for long either.  Feels an awful lot like we missed our window.

Why do you say that? It seems like the more NBA relies on analytics, the more likely it is that spacing and shooting become central to the game.

Barring rule changes, I doubt we see an NBA that allows teams to feature someone like Ben Wallace.

This team needs to start drafting well and getting value out of its draft picks. The biggest failure of the Wall/Beal era has been the downward spiral of poor FA signings patched through trading of draft picks. They need to first draft valuable role players and then use FA to patch in the holes or bring in complementary pieces.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Why do you say that? It seems like the more NBA relies on analytics, the more likely it is that spacing and shooting become central to the game.

Barring rule changes, I doubt we see an NBA that allows teams to feature someone like Ben Wallace.

This team needs to start drafting well and getting value out of its draft picks. The biggest failure of the Wall/Beal era has been the downward spiral of poor FA signings patched through trading of draft picks. They need to first draft valuable role players and then use FA to patch in the holes or bring in complementary pieces.

I mean opened up in terms of competitive balance rather than style of play.  I think we've got like two years of this relatively open period in competitive balance before the league consolidates into three or four teams again.  John suffered a career threatening injury and we fell into the tank right in the middle of it.

20 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

That gave me the feels and all, but is that a St. Louis hat he's wearing?  IT clearly says Louis, not sure what the first part says.  I know they don't have an NBA team or anything but...kinda odd to talk about a city you love and want to be in while wearing something that's about a completely different city.  

Jokes aside, glad they've identified him as a piece to build around, hopefully they can figure it out.