Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

17 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

It's all in for the 8th seed. 

That’s not all in for the 8th seed.  Being patient, drafting good players in the lottery, and letting Ernies bad contracts expire is smart GMing.  Ernie would have already traded picks for an over priced aging player to try to sneak into the playoffs.  We all know this.  Making a bad trade is precisely what this team needs to avoid.

Trading Beal with no real guarantees is all in to become utter garbage.  There’s a reason nba teams don’t trade good young stars unless they force their way out.  It’s suicide and you never get equal value back.  Virtually every team that’s ever done it is worse as a result.  Unless a team offer a top three pick, no trade for picks brings back anything close to equal value.  

If Beal makes it clear he won’t resign here, then you trade him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Destino said:

If Beal makes it clear he won’t resign here, then you trade him.  

This is where cultivating a good relationship with Beal has been key.  We need completely open lines of communication so we can suss out his willingness to sign an extension.

I honestly get the sense that Beal is happy here.  He's been a lot more open and assertive over the past year and it's been good for the team and he seems at home.  And I think the FO is going to know (if they don't already) whether or not he's sincerely believes in what they're trying to do.  If they don't trade Beal, then I think it's a sign that he's bought in.

I also agree with you that what we're doing is focusing on development right now.  This team got very young all of a sudden.  Beal and Isaiah Thomas are the only real vets and they're not really going to make a dent on Ws and Ls.  We've got all of these young role players and this year is largely going to be about figuring out which ones are keepers.

Aside from getting Beal to sign an extension, I think there are four key contingencies on whether or not this build can become something good within the next four seasons or so:

1 - What does John look like when he gets back?  Where's his game at?  What's his mindset?

2 - What does Thomas Bryant become?  He's become a stat-stuffer no doubt.  But is he going to learn to play defense?

3 - What does Hachimura become?  I think it's a good bet he's going to be a high level scorer and play mostly PF and be the second option on offense.  But how does the team game come along?  Does the defense and rebounding and situational decision making get good?

4 - What do we get from this draft pick?  If Wall comes back in 2020-2021, and Hachimura and Bryant progress on schedule, then this probably becomes the last lottery pick of this phase of the rebuild.  Another guard is a good option.  Becomes necessary if Beal walks.  A defensive center would be great.  If a star wing who can play two positions is available, then that probably gives the most immediate benefit.  There are a lot of directions we can go, but the main thing is that we just have to crush the pick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Rui is 1 for 8 at the free throw line

He’s having one of those inexplicable nightmare shooting nights.  He’s missed a bunch of bunnies at the rim too.  

17 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

And Gooden called the Bucks the eastern conference champions.  I thought he could potentially be lovably bad, but he's distractingly bad.

They cant allow him 82 games

Any of them WNBA ladies need a offseason job?  Has to be one that can talk basketball better than Gooden.  

😕

Carsen Edwards started and played just under 21 minutes on Tuesday, hitting 10-of-16 shots and 9-of-15 3-pointers for 30 points, three rebounds, a block and one turnover in a preseason win over the Cavaliers.

The rookie from Purdue lit up the third quarter with 28 points on 9-of-12 shooting and hit 8-of-11 3-pointers in the quarter. His teammates have been raving about his ability from beyond the arc and it was on full display tonight. He's got a real chance to provide the Celtics with instant offense off the bench and while there's some risk involved with drafting him, using a late-round flier on Edwards makes sense, especially after tonight's awesome shooting show.

Oct 15, 2019, 9:21 PM ET
  •  

On 10/13/2019 at 6:11 PM, StillUnknown said:

5 minutes into the Wizard broadcast and I am muting my television

I wish there was a way to watch the game with the audio from the stadium and not the broadcast team.  I've seen that during commercials breaks for streams.