Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I didn't watch the game last night, so take it for what its worth.

I think you all may be overreacting a bit. We're not in the Rockets league... I know we got at them earlier this year, but clearly we're two different teams right now.

If I'm going to get mad about something, it'll be our performance against the Cavs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’d put us at a 50/50 chance this team is broken up by the trade deadline next year.

I got killed for saying something like that before the season, but I think this year will be written off as an anomaly because of Wall's injury.  Grunfeld and Ted will probably frame this as a reason for optimism as the team basically made the playoffs without Wall.  

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

I didn't watch the game last night, so take it for what its worth.

I think you all may be overreacting a bit. We're not in the Rockets league... I know we got at them earlier this year, but clearly we're two different teams right now.

If I'm going to get mad about something, it'll be our performance against the Cavs.

None of these games mean a thing to me.  I can't figure out why Otto and Beal are still playing so much.  Especially Otto.  He's got a bad hip and back, and wasn't he getting x-rays on his ankle a week ago?  What's it take to earn some rest from Scotty B?  Only star player that should still be playing significant minutes is Wall because he needs to get in game shape.  

I think wizards nation is going to really lose it when the team gets annihilated in the first round.  Right now, that seems likely.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Destino said:

I got killed for saying something like that before the season, but I think this year will be written off as an anomaly because of Wall's injury.  Grunfeld and Ted will probably frame this as a reason for optimism as the team basically made the playoffs without Wall.  

This was a lost season.  Wall played his way to a DPVE last season then got hurt in the tenth game of this one and we had no chance of meeting expectations.

The team isn't going to get broken up.  We've got a core of three special players locked up and Sato and Oubre have the potential to be really good.  The roster is significantly flawed, but so are the Raptors.  Profoundly so.  If they can get a one seed and push 60 wins then so can we.  We need to make like two moves and have a healthy season from Wall.

- Dump Gortat, start Mahinmi, and find a young big who can rebound and finish to hedge against Mahinmi's unreliability.

- Find a Lou Williams type bench guard.  Someone who can attack a defense off the dribble and microwave score.

The truth is this team is still built around Wall.  They've proven they won't fall apart without him any more because Beal is an All Star in his own right, and Porter is fringey.  But their ceiling without Wall is about 45 wins. 

With a healthy Wall driving the bus, this team can win mid to upper 50s and compete for a one/two seed.

I'm not starting over. Look at the Raptors. They were kind of in a similar boat but they stuck with the Lowry/Derozan core and now they got a shot at the Finals. and I'd take Wall/Beal over Lowry/Derozan everytime.

Everyone jumps on the "smash the team and rebuild" bandwagon but you run the risk of being completely irrelevant for the next decade. Look at the Timberwolves after they got rid of KG. That was back in 2008 and they're just now back to being relevant. TEN YEARS. Ditto the Nuggets after dealing Melo.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not starting over. Look at the Raptors. They were kind of in a similar boat but they stuck with the Lowry/Derozan core and now they got a shot at the Finals. and I'd take Wall/Beal over Lowry/Derozan everytime.

Everyone jumps on the "smash the team and rebuild" bandwagon but you run the risk of being completely irrelevant for the next decade. Look at the Timberwolves after they got rid of KG. That was back in 2008 and they're just now back to being relevant. TEN YEARS. Ditto the Nuggets after dealing Melo.

Counterpoints:

The Raptors are a 3/4 seed that has taken advantage of key injuries around the East.  They are no threat to win a title.

Brad Beal can’t carry DeRozan’s jock.  He’s not even close.

Wall is a near-30yo turnover machine with gimpy knees and a jumper that’s still broken after seven years in the league.*

*better than Lowry, tho.

52 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Counterpoints:

The Raptors are a 3/4 seed that has taken advantage of key injuries around the East.  They are no threat to win a title.

Wall is a near-30yo turnover machine with gimpy knees and a jumper that’s still broken after seven years in the league.*

*better than Lowry, tho.

Maybe, but sometimes that's how it goes. The Pistons won it all in 03 and they weren't a traditional 1 seed powerhouse. Neither were the 04 Mavs.

Up until this year most people would have taken Beal over Derozan.

Wall is near 30? He's 27. And guys don't just die when they turn 30. CP3 is over 30 and still a beast. Jason Kidd couldn't shoot for most of his career until very late.

56 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Counterpoints:

*better than Lowry, tho.

Thats a pretty pessimistic view dude. Truth is up until this season, which happens to be Beals worst season as a pro, he and DeRozan were pretty much a wash. And beal is FOUR years younger. Thats significant. Hes still developing and working into his prime. DeRozan is just hitting his stride. Lets not forget it wasnt more than 2 seasons ago the dude was shooting like 28% from 3 or something horrible like that. Beal has all the tools he does, minus two inches of height, and is a arguably better shooter already. Actually, I just checked. Beal is a better shooter, and its not arguable. And thats THIS season, his worst and DeRozans best. Not comparable. 

Wall has been turning the ball over alot this season for sure. Cant argue that. And its getting to the point that he is good for it. But you discount multiple things in his development. Hes is having a bad year shooting, yes. But it was just last year that he found this range and was hitting that mid range on a regular basis. He has been plagued by injuries this season AND he did a different off season program that may or may not have effected his shot. Either way, hes a game changer with the ball in his hands and everyone knows it. You are going to turn the ball over as much as he wings it around. Thats just how it works sometimes. And hes not just better than Lowrys punk ass. Hes on a different level and its not even close. 

The rest of them can **** off though, honestly. Kelly, Otto and Sato may be the exceptions but I would move either of those cats for a good pick or a batter player if I had to.  

LOL.  ****ing tanking.  Gortat fumbles an easy pass in the lane, turnover.  Otto paws at the ball in the lane and gives up an And-1.  John gets a free look at the basket and misses the bunny.  Morris gets an easy look at the rim on a break and misses the bunny.

Wall and Beal flub an open alley oop.

• Like 1

They really don't have to choke on Lebron like this. 

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Amazingly bad basketball.  And a preview of what's to come if we draw this team in the first round.

I doubt we see them in the first round. But we may see them at some point with Boston down. Either way. We will lose and it will be more lopsided than we will like. But they have a legit shot all of a sudden and they should play like it. 

Peep wall setting up OTTO early. He learned.