Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

In town due to business... first game to watch since playoffs.

Turned it on when they were down.

Kings looked awful... did Hill or Randolph even play in the 2nd half?  

Wizards looked as we want them too....

Missed Phil with Steve... Kara Lawson was too quiet for much of the night... she needs to be filling in more air space.  

10 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I really like Kara Lawson.  Knowledgeable.  Has the same quiet class that Phil did.  She’s gotten into a groove with Buck in just a few games called.  Good hire ?

I agree with you but @Fergasun is right, she's too quiet often enough that I've noticed it as well.  Phil had a long lifetime of stories to use to fill some time, Kara is going to have to find her inner storyteller or do more breaking down of plays.  I still miss Phil at times, and the chemistry he had with Buck, but it hasn't been as jarring a transition as it could have been because Kara Lawson has been great.  

The person who needs to step their game up is Chris Miller.  His often cheesball humor stands out more without Phil there to convincingly laugh along with it.  I swear I can feel Kara rolling her eyes and Buck shaking his head through the audio sometimes.  

9 hours ago, TheItalianStallion said:

Good win. Weak opponent, but we did what we were supposed to. Our offense is really something. Now if we could consistently hold our opponents under 100 like we did tonight, we can finally hit 50 wins.

Exactly.  I've been seeing a lot of people in here putting the cart before the horse. declaring the one seed or 60 wins, blah, blah, blah.

Fact is, let's take baby steps.  We got to 49 wins last year, the most since 1977-78.  My goal is 50+ wins and at least the #3 seed.  Then we can talk about the next goal, which is to get past the 2nd round.

I'm banking those 3 losses (Suns, Lakers and Mavs) away for future chastising if we don't make it to 50 wins. We should be 11-2 right now or at least 10-3 (I could concede a dud loss, but not 3).

4 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Just looking at the league standings, I theorize that the early start prolly hung 2 or 3 flukey losses on almost every team.

The Wiz appear to have stabilized now.  The next 10 games should be very revealing.

A lot of road games against good teams in the next 10, including two that are the second night of a back to back (bucks and 76ers).  I'm fine if this team peeks in the second half of the season, so I'm not going to panic if we lose some road games early. 

• Like 2

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/11/14/16645114/jason-smith-ian-mahinmi-washington-wizards-rotation

Injuries hindered Mahinmi’s ability to progress in Washington and make a difference last year, but that’s no longer the case - yet his role on the team, when healthy, has decreased to such insignificance that his spot on the team would be questioned if he wasn’t secured with a $64 million contract.

He is playing 12.6 minutes per game this season, which is the least amount of time he’s gotten since 2011. He’s averaging a career-high 1.5 turnovers and is making only 48.6 percent of his shots, the second-lowest mark of his career. He has more fouls (40) than shot attempts (35) this season. He’s committing 8.8 fouls per 36 minutes - the worst average of his career. Jan Vesely never averaged more than 6.4 per 36 during his time in Washington.

• Sad 3

With the right coaching, Vesely could have been a productive NBA player. 

This team bungled his development. 

"You're a center. No, try playing the 4 now. Wait, can you still play SF? Oops, back to center. You're shooting sucks, but maybe you can learn to be a pick and pop 4"? 

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

With the right coaching, Vesely could have been a productive NBA player. 

This team bungled his development. 

"You're a center. No, try playing the 4 now. Wait, can you still play SF? Oops, back to center. You're shooting sucks, but maybe you can learn to be a pick and pop 4"? 

You'd have a hard time coming up with a system that robbed a young player of confidence more effectively than Randy's sabotaging of Jan Vesely.  As I've said before, it was so blatant that I've always assumed it was personal. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Mahinmi has a very strong case for one of the worst FA signings of all time on this trajectory.

And the combination of screw ups is greater than the sum of it's parts.  We gave away a 1st round pick for exactly nothing in return and wasted 16 million a year at the same time.  Those two things should afford a team three quality bench players, at the very least. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Just a reminder that Mahinmi was coming off a really strong season when we signed him.  Also, the Noah/Knicks contract is vastly worse than Mahinmi's deal.

dont care about the Noah/Knicks contract. And if we are going to be honest, they are rebuilding now. That contract can eventually become an asset or at least helps them lose games to get a good draft pick.

The Mahinmi contract may be preventing this team from being an NBA title contender, and we have lost a lot due to that contract.

You can make the case that he should be the 3rd center on this roster behind Jason Smith.

Also, we overpaid for Mahinmi to be our back up center. It was a bad deal at the time and it looks worse now that Mahinmi is arguably not worth any playing time.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

23 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Just a reminder that Mahinmi was coming off a really strong season when we signed him.

That was his only season as a starter after spending 7 years as a back up and he didn't play what you'd consider starting player minutes.  He only averaged 25.6 minutes a game that one year as a starter.  For comparison purposes Marcin Gortat only averaged less than 29 minutes per game when he was behind Dwight Howard.  Plus Mahinmi was on a great defensive team.  That Pacer team was so zeroed in on defense that they made Hibbert look like a superstar defender. 

I said most of this the moment the news of Mahinmi's contract broke.  Mahinmi seems to be on the same trajectory as Hibbert after leaving the Pacers.  Unlike Roy though, Ian got himself a fat contract so instead of being unsigned or playing under a small one year deal he's stacking cash and taking minutes that should be going to Jason Smith.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

dont care about the Noah/Knicks contract. And if we are going to be honest, they are rebuilding now. That contract can eventually become an asset or at least helps them lose games to get a good draft pick.

The Mahinmi contract may be preventing this team from being an NBA title contender, and we have lost a lot due to that contract.

You can make the case that he should be the 3rd center on this roster behind Jason Smith.

Also, we overpaid for Mahinmi to be our back up center. It was a bad deal at the time and it looks worse now that Mahinmi is arguably not worth any playing time.

and he had a bit of a rep for being injury prone in Indy. one of those, he ain't playing if he ain't 100% types

the mahinmi deal is also a display of Grunfeld's continued lack of vision as to how the league is moving

all that money tied up in Gortat, who at least earns his dollars, and Mahinmi and they are both relics in this version of the NBA

• Like 1