Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

You seen our record with non lottery draft picks by chance? We are literally gonna waste it anyway. 

Not good, but I look at Oubre and keep thinking "damn, it'd be nice to have another one of him coming off the bench".  Jordan Clarkson would'be been great here (granted, second rounder, but trade for cash was ridiculous in hindsight)

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

To get Noel AND dump Mahinmi.

Still yuck.  Gotta be some way we can get Mahinmi traded somewhere that doesn't cost us a first rounder.  Noel is a FA, and struggling for minutes too, I don't like it, man.

Edited by Renegade7

We absolutely can not trade a first round pick for a half season rental again.  This team desperately needs draft picks because we need cheap bodies for depth.  To put this in perspective a rookie contract center earning 3 million as the back up would save us 13 million dollars compared to Mahinmi.  

This is not the Wizards year.  What we need is to dump our centers and keep our picks.  Signing Mahinmi and trading for Bojan have proven to be huge mistakes that will negatively impact this franchise for years to come.  There is no way this team can pay Gortat and Mahinmi 30 million a year, waste draft picks, and build a serious contender.  We're spinning our wheels because of this bull****.  

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

We absolutely can not trade a first round pick for a half season rental again.  This team desperately needs draft picks because we need cheap bodies for depth.  To put this in perspective a rookie contract center earning 3 million as the back up would save us 13 million dollars compared to Mahinmi.  

This is not the Wizards year.  What we need is to dump our centers and keep our picks.  Signing Mahinmi and trading for Bojan has proven to be huge mistakes that will negatively impact this franchise for years to come.  There is no way this team can pay Gortat and Mahinmi 30 million a year, waste draft picks, and build a serious contender.  We're spinning our wheels because of this bull****.  

The only way I am down with trading a first is if we can get Cousins. Other than that, I agree completely.

It is why I am suggesting trades for other players that can help us who are on the outs with their teams.

• Like 2

Wizards are in a really weird place in terms of roster construction thanks to Grunfeld's blinding idiocy

we have 3 max players on the team, but we are still not the destination that better veterans will take a cut to play here.  it makes the necessity of rookies, and more importantly their contracts,  important to building our depth

plucking these random dudes off the streets and d-league teams ain't gonna cut in terms of pointing to the future.  Oubre is the only the guy on the bench you can point to and say "we might have something here"

if the first gets dealt, it needs to be for Boogie/Deandre/or someone of their ilk

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

we have 3 max players on the team, but we are still not the destination that better veterans will take a cut to play here.  it makes the necessity of rookies, and more importantly their contracts,  important to building our depth

The fact that free agents seem to rather play pretty much anywhere but here is troubling.  The basketball media is entertaining but seem to be mostly a bunch of empty suits reporting what they're told.   No surprise that I've never seen this explored.  Unless Ernie wants it known, or a players agent asks that it be discussed no one is going to touch it.   

4 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

its should take Otto to get Boogie or Deandre really

unless their GM's are feeling charitable 

Cousins is an expiring.  They aren’t getting anything remotely as valuable as Otto for him.

I would not trade Otto for Cousins under any circumstance.  Otto is someone you win championships with.  Cousins is someone you use to market tickets for a lottery team.

I definitely wouldn’t trade Otto for Jordan either.  Otto is one of the best two way players in the league now.  Jordan has never been as good as Otto is at 24.

7 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

we dont have the cap space to sign him outright

Saying that, I do not think we have to part with a first round pick to get Noel.

Perhaps not.  I’m just saying I’m willing to deal the first to get Noel and dump Mahinmi.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I would not trade Otto for Cousins under any circumstance.  Otto is someone you win championships with.  Cousins is someone you use to market tickets for a lottery team.

This trade is gonna happen.  Otto is putting up big boy game tape.  Oubre is just as good.

Boogie is coming to town.

6 hours ago, Destino said:

This is not the Wizards year.  What we need is to dump our centers and keep our picks.  Signing Mahinmi and trading for Bojan have proven to be huge mistakes that will negatively impact this franchise for years to come.  There is no way this team can pay Gortat and Mahinmi 30 million a year, waste draft picks, and build a serious contender.  We're spinning our wheels because of this bull****.  

The point of trading for Noel is not to get a rental, but to get a long term defensive big we likely can’t afford to sign on the open market.

It’s to get a younger, better option than Mahinmi so that we can move on from him and Gortat and get out of the massive dollar commitment at the C position that you cite.  Trade Mahinmi for Noel then trade Gortat and then sign Noel and a cheap backup this summer.

Ironically, the reason we won’t do this is because we’re trying to make a Finals run this season.  We won’t trade Gortat this year.

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

This trade is gonna happen.  Otto is putting up big boy game tape.  Oubre is just as good.

Boogie is coming to town.

It won’t happen.  It would be a ****ing disaster.  We’re going to go with the team we have and the only way Cousins ends up here is if he comes dirt cheap or signs in free agency.

New Orleans won’t get any real offers for Cousins.  They are going to hold onto him to try and make a playoff appearance and then hope they can beat other offers this summer using the advantages teams get when extending their own players.

Oubre is not close to being as good as Otto on either end btw.  I love the kid but he’ll never be Otto.  I wouldn’t trade him for Cousins either.  

By virtue of John Wall, any player that comes here in a trade on the tail end of his contract is going to outplay the salary range we can afford before the end of the season. ( see Bogs). If we trade for Noel, there is no chance in Vince McMahon that he is resigned on his absurdly cheap deal. 

And he's not even that good... 

For this reason, any trade involving the 1st, should involve a dominant 5 man that Wall might be able to convince to stick around. Noel for a 1st and Mahinmi is NOT ok. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

By virtue of John Wall, any player that comes here in a trade on the tail end of his contract is going to outplay the salary range we can afford before the end of the season. ( see Bogs). If we trade for Noel, there is no chance in Vince McMahon that he is resigned on his absurdly cheap deal. 

And he's not even that good... 

For this reason, any trade involving the 1st, should involve a dominant 5 man that Wall might be able to convince to stick around. Noel for a 1st and Mahinmi is NOT ok. 

We can afford Noel if we trade for him.  Especially if we dump Mahinmi.  We’d have his Bird Rights.  What would we be trying to create cap room for?  A defensive big right?  Well, that’s Noel.

I can accept an argument that you don’t think Noel is good or mature enough to be worth committing to, but not an argument about cost.  It would not be an issue.  You’d SAVE money because he gives you the ability to dump Mahinmi and Gortat.

I wouldn’t agree that Noel isn’t good enough BTW, it’s just an argument I can accept as having a leg to stand on.  He’s a Joakim Noah with better hands and one of the best second bounces in the NBA.  One of the few centers who could legit average 2 steals and close to 3 blocks in starters minutes.  Elite PnR defender + elite rim protector who can switch onto perimeter players with no issues.  And he’s got a nice little offensive game.  Good passer and ball handler for a C.  Above the rim finisher.  Floor runner.  Efficient low usage option who knows his role and spends his energy on defense, where he goes really hard.

On paper he’s an ideal fit and if you signed him for 16-18 million per annum you can dump Gortat and focus on extending Oubre and Kieff and make sure we keep this band together.

• Thanks 1

When you're thinking long term don't forget that Walls contract becomes absolutely insane.  Next year he earns 19 million, but the year after that he gets 38 million.  

If this team isn't a contender next season we're going to be in trouble.  If I was the owner I might consider Wall the star that makes the most sense to move if it becomes apparent that these three players aren't good enough to contend.  Reason has nothing to do with his quality, because he's great.  If you're trying to extend a window though he's the most expensive, oldest, and likely to break down sooner because of his weight and play style.  

Not sure if that's even possible though.