Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

26 minutes ago, Destino said:

When you're thinking long term don't forget that Walls contract becomes absolutely insane.  Next year he earns 19 million, but the year after that he gets 38 million.  

If this team isn't a contender next season we're going to be in trouble.  If I was the owner I might consider Wall the star that makes the most sense to move if it becomes apparent that these three players aren't good enough to contend.  Reason has nothing to do with his quality, because he's great.  If you're trying to extend a window though he's the most expensive, oldest, and likely to break down sooner because of his weight and play style.  

Not sure if that's even possible though.  

That's probably one of the most depressing things I've ever seen you post in this thread.

Just now, pjfootballer said:

Wall is the best player on this team hands down.  You don't trade the franchise.  You deal Beal, Otto and anyone else and add back to him.

My post is about the long term future if things go bad.  Like I said, Wall is a great player and easily the best of the three.  But if you have to rebuild two years from now for a longer term plan he's not the guy that makes the most sense to build around. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Destino said:

My post is about the long term future if things go bad.  Like I said, Wall is a great player and easily the best of the three.  But if you have to rebuild two years from now for a longer term plan he's not the guy that makes the most sense to build around. 

Yeah, I see your point, but John is only 27.  If he was closer to 30, I might be on that ship.  Now of course, he WILL be close to 30 in 2 years, but I just don't see either Beal, Otto or both being able to carry the franchise in his absence.  I think if we're dealing Wall in a couple of years, things DID go bad and we're back to square one. 

11 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Honestly, Beal is very close to eclipsing John.  Would not be surprised to see it happen by the end of this year.

From a scoring standpoint?  IDK, man, I still think Wall is more important to the offense running then Beal, I wouldn't want to see life with Beal instead of Wall.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

From a scoring standpoint?  IDK, man, I still think Wall is more important to the offense running then Beal, I wouldn't want to see life with Beal instead of Wall.

Beal's is obviously a much better shot maker and he's finishing around the rim this year.  His handles have improved to the point where he can probably run the offense over a 2 or 3 game stretch if Wall was out.  It would fall apart as teams adjusted though

Wall still the most important by a large stretch.  When he's right, he simply does things on both ends of the court that only a select few can emulate.  I also love the fact that he's drawing more fouls this year, just gotta convert them and he's done better the last couple of games.  Needs to eliminate that iso **** he's been doing early this year, but even with a "bad" start to his year, he's averaging 20 & 10

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

but even with a "bad" start to his year, he's averaging 20 & 10

on 41% shooting

Beal should have the ball at the end of games, imo

33 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Honestly, Beal is very close to eclipsing John.  Would not be surprised to see it happen by the end of this year.

i dont see it happening because of how great of an athlete Wall is, but Beal should have the ball in his hands at end of game situations over Wall.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

on 41% shooting

I would prefer Beal to have the final shot, but I just want whoever shoots the ball to come from the result of a play that was run.  I don't want to see Wall or Beal dribbling at the top of the key while waiting to make their move

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

i dont see it happening because of how great of an athlete Wall is, but Beal should have the ball in his hands at end of game situations over Wall.

Problem here is what do you do with Wall off ball on offense? He needs to figure out what to do without the ball in his hands. 

I wouldn't mind this though, he can be the best defender on our floor when he is locked in and if he focuses on D and lets Brad have the offense in the crunch I think we are better. Not sure his ego can handle it for real. 

Just now, Llevron said:

Problem here is what do you do with Wall off ball on offense? He needs to figure out what to do without the ball in his hands. 

I wouldn't mind this though, he can be the best defender on our floor when he is locked in and if he focuses on D and lets Brad have the offense in the crunch I think we are better. Not sure his ego can handle it for real. 

yeah, a major flaw in Wall's game is that he doesnt do anything off the ball. He is actually a decent catch and shoot guy, but doesnt do it enough.

Just now, BenningRoadSkin said:

yeah, a major flaw in Wall's game is that he doesnt do anything off the ball. He is actually a decent catch and shoot guy, but doesnt do it enough.

I feel like he would be a damn good cutter too cause he is not shy about getting hit and can finish at the rim when he is actually looking to score. Don't under stand why Brooks doesn't see this. Or maybe I should say what he sees that I dont. 

14 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

20 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I would prefer Beal to have the final shot, but I just want whoever shoots the ball to come from the result of a play that was run.  I don't want to see Wall or Beal dribbling at the top of the key while waiting to make their move

I feel like both of these things are a coaching issue.  It's sort of a joke, but I refer to the wizards offense frequently as the "one pass offense."  The team favors a system where one guy gets the ball, and maybe a big to work with, but for the most part everyone else finds a spot and stands still.  The result is either a hero ball shot attempt or one pass.  The ball doesn't move very much.  In the era of pace and space, this offense is a dinosaur. 

It explains why Wall does very little off the ball and why our offense late in games usually means Wall or Beal dribbling the air out of the ball. 

If Wall doesn't have the ball in his hands on a last second shot you might as well bench him. Nobody will respect his ability to hit a catch and shoot shot so the D will sag off on him and probably double Beal/Porter.

I'm fine with Wall having the ball but we need to run a more creative play then just dribble until 5 seconds then try to dribble past a guy and end up taking a contested 17 footer. I'd rather get a good shot off and leave a second or two on the clock then kill the entire clock and take a shot that has like a 2% chance of going in.

• Like 2