Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I still have some reservations about drafting Biyambo, but if Kanter is already gone, there won't be much to fuss about.

although I sincerely hope we see a new big man coach either way

There really isn't anyone else exciting enough to draft if Kanter is off the board. Has to be Biyombo.

This turned out to be an awful class.

The nice thing about Biyombo is that the physical upside is good so you're not just adding an intangibles and defense guy. With a good big man coach he could develop in about four or five years and have a little bit of a post game. Until then you've got a guy who will pull down rebounds and block shots and be a fantastic, high energy presence in the locker room.

I love this Bismack picture:

Bismack-Biyombo1.jpg

His arms are ridiculous. I mean I'm 6'1" and when I put my arms up, my elbows don't pass my head. His are about a foot above.

I'm telling you all, either him or Kanter is gonna be the pick. I'd be happy with either one. I'm just on a Bismack mancrush ride right now.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

I read Terrence Jones withdrew his name from the draft, which is too bad I was hoping we would scoop him.

As long as we spend our first pick on a front court player I will be happy. Biyombo, Valanciunas, Vesely, Thompson, Kanter...any one of those players would be welcome.

I don't know the status of Lewis, Young, Howard, Blatche, etc. But I do know Wall and Crawford form a pretty good backcourt and we need players to complement them and do damage in the paint.

You absolutely have to go BPA in an awful class like this one. You can't restrict yourself to front court players because the class is so thin. BPA is probably still Biyombo or Kanter if we're picking top 5. But if we're picking first or second you can't completely rule out Kyrie Irving. We need to find a guy that will stick and contribute first and foremost.

You also can't rule out Alec Burks or Brandon Knight since we can always move Nick Young.

I probably wouldn't draft Kemba Walker though. He's too short to play the 2 and I just don't think he can get on the floor but if we're picking around 6 or 7 and he's far and away the BPA then just take him. He can be your J.J. Barea sparkplug.

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 11:47 PM ----------

Kawhi Leonard makes sense for us too. Still would rather have Bismack though.

Ugh I will be so bitter if we draft Irving, Knight or Walker. I disagree with you big time there McQueen.

Can't pick a bust or an iffy big because then we get nothing from the pick at all. Better to come away with at least something. Irving is a good shooter, he can play off the ball and also run the offense on his own. Trade Crawford or Young to bring in help at the forward positions if you get Irving.

Brandon Knight works as a more talented version of Crawford. Kemba would be a sixth man but a top sixth man can be super valuable once you get to the post season.

Knight or Irving isn't going to work with Wall. You're not going to find minutes for them. Period. Walker is small as hell and doesn't bring anything extra than what Crawford already does. There are talented bigs in this draft. Bismack, Kanter, Williams or one of the other Euros. Any of them have potential and at an actual position of need. It's not like we're talking Jordan Williams vs Kyrie Irving here.

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 12:29 AM ----------

As I've said before--before Sullinger, Barnes, Jones, et al pulled out--one of the International players is going to end up as the best out of this class. I just don't think anyone knows which one it is yet.

You absolutely have to go BPA in an awful class like this one. You can't restrict yourself to front court players because the class is so thin. BPA is probably still Biyombo or Kanter if we're picking top 5. But if we're picking first or second you can't completely rule out Kyrie Irving. We need to find a guy that will stick and contribute first and foremost.

You also can't rule out Alec Burks or Brandon Knight since we can always move Nick Young.

We can't move Nick. He's an unrestricted FA.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/post/wizards-ready-to-show-off-new-look/2011/05/09/AFH8gWaG_blog.html

After months of working with the NBA league office and designers with shoe partner adidas, the Wizards will introduce their re-brand with Leonsis, Executive Vice President of Business Operations Greg Bibb, President Ernie Grunfeld, Coach Flip Saunders, Bullets legends Elvin Hayes and Bobby Dandridge. The news conference will be broadcast live on CSN Washington and livestreamed online at www.washingtonwizards.com. Merchandise will go on sale at Verizon Center and online at 11:30 a.m. Fans who donate “gently worn” Wizards jerseys and apparel at Verizon Center between Tuesday and Friday will receive a 10 percent discount. The collected items will be donated to the NBA’s Basketball Without Borders program.
While the team has been pretty tight-lipped about the entire re-design, multiple sources have informed me that the current logo — with a wizard shooting out of a crescent basketball — will no longer be the prominent image to represent the franchise.
Something new will replace it, and I hear that it will go a long way toward reconnecting with the past. That wouldn’t be a stretch, considering how Leonsis already established the Bullets-Wizards alumni association and what he did when he made his last significant uniform change with the NHL’s Capitals, essentially modernizing the old look.
Edited by Popeman38

Knight or Irving isn't going to work with Wall. You're not going to find minutes for them. Period. Walker is small as hell and doesn't bring anything extra than what Crawford already does. There are talented bigs in this draft. Bismack, Kanter, Williams or one of the other Euros. Any of them have potential and at an actual position of need. It's not like we're talking Jordan Williams vs Kyrie Irving here.

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 12:29 AM ----------

As I've said before--before Sullinger, Barnes, Jones, et al pulled out--one of the International players is going to end up as the best out of this class. I just don't think anyone knows which one it is yet.

Irving could definitely play off the ball as good a shooter as he is. He doesn't need to create for himself but can with his handle. The only problem with him playing the 2 full time is his height. But he and DWill are clearly the elite players of the class. You won't go wrong stockpiling a whole bunch of elite players, especially since most everybody else is probably getting a lemon in this lottery. We're still in the early stages of our rebuild. You can figure out what to do with a Wall/Irving/Young/Crawford backcourt later.

As for Knight, he's not a true point because he can't pass or facilitate an offense properly. He's a penetrating 2 guard with the ball handling and speed of a point. I think he's basically a more talented version of Jordan Crawford. The only thing I worry about with him is, like Crawford, questionable catch and shoot ability right now. He shot for low percentages at UK.

Walker definitely brings something different to the table from Crawford because he's so explosive and has better range. He's got elite offensive tools and scoring instincts and is a natural sixth man energy guy in the mold of J.J. Barea. You'd like to get more than that with a potential top 5 pick, but this class might not allow that to happen.

All three of those guys are going to be good players in the NBA. I'm not so sure you can say the same about the Euroleague guys. I really like Bismack but his utter lack of offensive tools worries me a bit. I'd probably take him over Walker and Knight but there's no way I'd take him over Irving. Kanter is probably our second best scenario after DWill but his knees could be a huge problem. If they're no good then you simply can't take him. Not crazy about Montiejunas or Veseley. Valanciunas could be a good bet if Kanter's knees are shot and Bismack proves too offensively limited. But Valanciunas is really skinny and doesn't have the kind of post presence we need in our front court so you'd be hoping he grows a bunch physically and does a lot of evolving offensively. It worries me that Bismack has gone from a slight reach at our Atlanta pick to a potential top five selection. His value is super inflated right now. He's like Serge Ibaka except Ibaka wen't in the 20's. Top 5 is high for a player like Bismack. Tyrus Thomas was pretty much a top 5 bust as a similar type of player.

Maybe we'll get lucky and get a top two pick and our choice will be simple because the team picking first takes Irving. I wasn't crazy about Dwill before everyone good started dropping out of the class because he seemed like a short PF to me. Now I definitely think he's our best bet in the class because he's got the most skills. Just play him at the 3 and he'll be fine as a power guy in the mold of a heavier/slower Carmelo. He's the absolute best we can do in this class.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

Ted dropping hints of a future name change in his blog post:

http://www.tedstake.com/2011/05/10/wizards-uniform-change/

I also know that changing the colors is just a small step in our overall rebuild plan, just 1 of 101 things to do.

I also know that the jerseys and new look and feel will look much better if we can build a winning franchise.

As noted, we could not and did not change the name of the team. We were able - by NBA rules - to change the color motif; add some new word marks and logos; change up how we present that pallet; and bring to you - in one season - a new look and feel.

I thank our partners at the NBA and Adidas for their great work here.

Come back after 11:00 am EST to see the new uniforms.

Thank you so much.

Just to comment on a few posts from earlier....Nick Young is a RFA, not a UFA. Really can't say whether or not he could be traded until the new CBA is signed. Many people (including myself) believe the new CBA will completely change the way business is conducted in the NBA....so there is really no telling if we'd be able to trade anyone at this point.

As far as the draft draft is concerned, if you have the ability to draft Kyrie Irving if Derick Williams is unavailable, it would be an absolute no brainer. Kyrie would be a better option than anyone else on our team at the 2 and his size wouldn't matter because of Wall's size and his ability to defend 2s.

I'm looking forward to watching the unveiling of the new uniforms at 11am ...less than an hour away!

That sucks. Why aren't you allowed to trade RFAs?

EDIT: Just saw that you posted he's a UFA. Are you sure about that? According to this he's an RFA: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12

My bad. I thought he was unrestricted.

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 02:24 PM ----------

I'm listening to UnWise Mike and many of the old Bullets are at the Verizon.

Rick Mahorn, Kevin Grevey, Phil Chenier, Bobby Dandridge, ELVIN HAYES etc.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH