Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

For extremely personal reasons, I hate just about everything about Atlanta. The Wizards beating the Hawks would be a really good thing for my emotional well being.

FWIW, Minneapolis is on that list as well. I'm not just talking sports. I hold very personal gripes with a couple people in each city, and therefore I want to see nothing but pain for them, and their cities.

This is how I feel about Colorado. Absolutely hate the place due to personal reasons.

One thing that hasn't really been talked about is how much of an animal in the paint Gortat was. Struggled to get involved as a scorer early. But he was fantastic on defense and he piled up rebounds. The Hawks couldn't get anything to go in on him around the basket and when Millsap KEPT getting all those offensive rebounds, couldn't convert them into points inside. Gortat and Porter are an excellent foundation for defense and they are excellent rebounders. Wall and Beal tightened up in the second half too. I really like our defensive system. It's aggressive and effective. Really utilizes traps on dribblers caught on the perimeter well. This is one of the few things I can give Randy full throated praise for as a coach. The man can coach defense. Bit of a poor man's Thibs or Doc.

Also, can't say how surprising and awesome Gooden's play has been. Old guy has some gas in the tank. Kris Humphries was our best bench player this season and he hasn't been used at all because of how well Gooden has played. When he made that three from the top of the key where he was like five feet behind the line... :blink:

Sessions was big too. Missed some lay ups that he really should have made but other than that, he was good. He's a really smart player. I thought he was just an athlete and a slasher before I got to watch him in a Wizards uniform. Nah, he's a solid PG that runs the offense well and plays good defense. His demeanor reminds me of Gooden's, tough and heady and steady.

Wall and Beal playing at an All Star level and Porter and Gortat dominating on defense and the boards. Plus good contributions from Pierce and our bench players. When those things happen, as they did today, we're the best team in the East.

In perusing various ATL boards, they sure are making excuses.

It's like it's inconceivable to them that the Wiz beat them because they just outplayed them.

"We didn't have any rest between series"..which is a legit. Of course you could say that Washington was a step slow the first half because they had TOO MUCH rest.

"The refs were in Washington's pocket", "We just went cold. Washington had nothing to do with it" etc etc

"Jeff Teague is better than Wall at EVERYTHING"

No mention of the fact that Otto shut Carroll down after that 1st qt.

No mention of the fact that Beal/Otto was all in Korver's ****.

No mention of the fact that the ONLY thing that stopped Bradley was an injured ankle.

Heck, I thought he was going for 40.

Hawks fans say they stopped moving the ball. I disagree.

The Wizards stopped switching as much and just guarded individually..thus the difference in ball movement the 2nd half.

Changed the complexion of the game.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

The officiating in that game didn't bother me too much. It was a home game, you expect them to get some calls. There were only a couple of missed calls that really pissed me off, all of them involved Horford. The guy should have fouled out. They missed a plain as day charge that Pierce took that led directly to two points in a critical moment at the end of the game. Horford should have been called for a foul for sliding under Beal on the play where Beal got hurt. There was a much less egregious instance of that foul called at the end of the Clippers-Spurs game the night before. And he should have been called for fouling Wall on that drive right before Pierce took the charge.

The last one bothers me the least because they were pretty consistent in calling a "let them play" game when the ball was around the basket. It was a clear foul though, and it came at a big moment.

I bet Atlanta fans were ****ing about that DeMarre Carroll flop where he took the three at the buzzer and Wall grazed his finger tips. Carroll was certainly ****ing. It was pathetic.

Randy Wittman haters, put your flag in the sand now.   The Curse of Les Boulez is counting on you.

No problem.

We had a huge lay off, the Hawks came out and played like you would expect and it still took half time adjustments to turn the game.  At the level a team with Wall, Beal, Porter and Gortat is I expect to be ready out of the blocks and to make good adjustments.  We are the team that needs big performances from our starters, when they come through we have a shot in a game because they are legit.  Nene can take over at times. 

If we're keeping Wittman we need to add another max contract that can score at will on their own and keep together the Wall, Beal, Porter trio we as fans are fortunate to have on our team.

Pippen was my favourite player growing up 'cos to me at the time (and likely wrong) he had the skill, speed, size and toughness to hang with small to quite large guys.  Needed some D, some points, a good pass he did it all, and to me that's Porter for us.  I don't know how much but The Truth has had an obvious impact on the physche of our players and Porter is believing. 

These guys know if they play well they can beat anyone, anwhere.  They've been a good team on the road for a while now and I think that helps in the playoffs on top of what PP has brought in to what we had (he destroyed The North).  Talented and we don't quit, see Wall, John/Beall, Bradley.  I suggest to look bad with them is not good so I'm happy to ride all the way and ask for more :)

Randy Wittman haters, put your flag in the sand now.   The Curse of Les Boulez is counting on you.

It's reasonably clear at this point that Witt was sand-bagging in the regular season. He deserved the hate in February. Now, though, give him his due. He has this team playing its best ball of the year in May...that's all you really want from an NBA coach.

Horford was literally 2 feet out of bounds in the first quarter when he went under the backboard to pass the ball out. How the hell do you miss a size 15+ sneaker two feet over the line? We did get the on the line call on the same possession later. But damn.

• Like 2

It's reasonably clear at this point that Witt was sand-bagging in the regular season. He deserved the hate in February. Now, though, give him his due. He has this team playing its best ball of the year in May...that's all you really want from an NBA coach.

Well... I could want Steve Kerr. Regular season and postseason excellence.

I'm with Still, I'm not going to accept any revisionism about the awful job Randy did during the regular season. Everyone who actually paid attention saw it. Everyone knew he should have been playing Marcin Gortat in crunch time and lots of people knew he should have been playing Porter.

But Randy is a good enough coach not to hold us back in the playoffs. And I'm about to throw him some praise that he deserves:

1.) He coaches a terrific defense. Our scheme is outstanding. It's like the opposite our offense: modern, aggressive, creative, maximizes the talents of our players, and we perform at a very high level. And we do it without a Gasol/Noah/Bogut/Howard/Duncan/Jordan/Hibbert caliber pivot. Beal and Wall are also much farther along as defenders than the other big time guards drafted around the same time and I think Porter is going to be an elite defensive player by age 22 or 23. He's already showing flashes of that kind of ability this postseason.

Also, just having the creativity to feature Wall on defense is pretty unique to our team. Nobody else has a PG that is the kind of roving playmaker that Wall is. Most teams have very conservative roles for their PGs, something that would waste Wall's unique talent.

2.) He deserves credit for developing Beal the way he did. This is something I had complained about before, but seeing Beal perform in the playoffs, he's come a really long way in terms of how much he can handle. I thought Wittman had been giving Beal too much--having him create his own shots off the bounce and having Beal run point--such that I thought it was hindering his development. It was hurting Beal's numbers no doubt, but now in the playoffs Beal is winning us games by leading the team in scoring and being the trigger man and first option for the offense. He's got a comfort level that he wouldn't have if the staff hadn't pushed him to do more and always search for his shot. And Beal is ahead of where his peers were as facilitators in their third seasons.

• Like 1

Horford was literally 2 feet out of bounds in the first quarter when he went under the backboard to pass the ball out. How the hell do you miss a size 15+ sneaker two feet over the line? We did get the on the line call on the same possession later. But damn.

yea when i first saw that, i was thinking, oh man we are gonna get screwed by these refs today.

I was lurking in their sb nation during the Brooklyn series, they were convinced that the wiz would be easy compared to the nets. A lot of their fans thought the wizards series would be a cake walk and many claiming the wizards were a bad team in general.

They are still in denial after this one.

You should check out the NBA sub on Reddit. Love me some Reddit in general and the NBA sub might legitimately be the best one on the

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba

They also got a Hawks reddit. Link on the sidebar of /r/nba. I GOT to check that out today

There's no better high then the pain of snobs. Doesn't matter the type

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Otto's emergence has changed the entire attitude of the fanbase. We're optimistic now. The way the crowd chanted his name in game four, you can tell the fans are going to have an irrational love for him. His name is a perfect four syllables for chanting and it's fun to shout. I like how you can hear his teammates shouting it all the time, sometimes for no apparent reason.