Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Such a fun game and atmosphere. Chants non stop from my section. Yes I cheered for the chicken but also the entire rest of the game. The complaint is sort of dumb about only being loud when it's for the chicken. Seemed pretty darn loud to me after Pierce hit the three. Go to the game yourself and make it loud if you are going to sit here complaining about it.

If we somehow lose this series, Ted is going to look so ****ing dumb.

Dude is trolling his own fan base. What an egomaniac.

I'd like to see someone ask him can the Wizards win a championship. I really want to see his response. Not read it, SEE his response. I want to see him stammer his way to a positive answer for that. 

Gortats PER is 23.5 this series. Pierce is 17.0 and Otto is 16.9 - he was 10.6 for the season. Wall only 17.1, Beal is down from 14 during the regular season to 12.

Back to Gortat, he's playing at a Hakeem/Karl Malone career PER level.

This level of play from Otto has come from nowhere... I still want to see consistency from him.

• Like 1

Casey: "They are doing a heck of a job using their length against some of our shooters." #WizardsTalk #WizRaptors @CSNWizards #NBA

Pierce says yes, they've been holding back their small lineups back for postseason #WizardsTalk @CSNWizards #NBA #WizRaptors

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Such a fun game and atmosphere. Chants non stop from my section. Yes I cheered for the chicken but also the entire rest of the game. The complaint is sort of dumb about only being loud when it's for the chicken. Seemed pretty darn loud to me after Pierce hit the three. Go to the game yourself and make it loud if you are going to sit here complaining about it.

I agree with you. I never go to the games so I really try to never complain about the crowds.

I actually think the team gets very good support from the city considering how awful the on court product has been for 30 years, and for how frustrated we are with the current GM and HC. And the better we get, the more the city will embrace the team and eventually the atmosphere will be awesome. DC knows and loves basketball. All the community has needed was a solid team to be passionate about.

Can't believe we won after turning it over and missing so many FTs in the fourth. That should have guaranteed a loss. But making a ton of threes cures many ills.

Going to have to clean it up a lot to match up with Atlanta because they execute at a high level. That series is going to tell us a lot about where we are. But after seeing us perform in this series, I'm a lot more confident in the team. We have shown a killer instinct and an ability close out games.

Someone please explain to what's gotten into Wittman.  Where does this playoff competence come from?

We have a very talented roster. All we needed was for our coach to do the few common sense things that we all wanted him to do during the regular season. And really, all he's doing differently is the obvious stuff which doesn't take a great coach to figure out. He still waits too long to call TOs, and sucks at drawing up plays.

So I still wouldn't call him particularly competent in the playoffs, just not bad enough to get in the way of our talented roster. Especially considering the Indy series last year.

• Like 1

Click to read the rest

http://www.csnwashington.com/basketball-washington-wizards/talk/nenes-acceptance-new-role-elevates-marcin-gortat

Nene's acceptance of new role elevates Marcin Gortat

In his usual honest dissertations about what has changed for the Wizards after they went up 3-0 in their series with the Toronto Raptors, John Wall dropped this nugget: "Nene, he's not complaining about getting the ball in the post, worrying about fouls, he's playing through it and getting rebounds for us and doing little things to help our team. That's the key you need to win in the playoffs."

Nene didn't have much of an impact in Game 3's 106-99 victory, but in the first two games won in Toronto he had 22 rebounds (more than twice his average) which contributed to the Wizards' plus-30 edge going into Friday's game. 

There's a trickle-down effect that comes by not forcing as much play through the Brazilian in the low post because Marcin Gortat has prospered on both ends. He is averaging 16 points and 9.6 rebounds and shooting 21-for-30, or 70 percent.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

This is starting to feel like last season. An unexpectedly dominate first round leading to thoughts of beating a much better team in the second. Even the media is starting to think about it. If we beat the hawk in game one, they'll jump on board too.

The Hawks are a much better team than the raptors. They don't have a bum at the 4 Pierce can guard allowing us to use our small ball lineup without any real downside. They also have the nba coach of the year, not a guy fans want gone (I'm talking about the Raptors not Wittman).

For the wizards to win in the next round Wall and Beal have to efficiently score 20+ppg on the same night, for 4 or five games of the series. I don't think they've ever done that but we'd need them to be huge to really have a chance.

• Like 1

This is starting to feel like last season. An unexpectedly dominate first round leading to thoughts of beating a much better team in the second. Even the media is starting to think about it. If we beat the hawk in game one, they'll jump on board too.

The Hawks are a much better team than the raptors. They don't have a bum at the 4 Pierce can guard allowing us to use our small ball lineup without any real downside. They also have the nba coach of the year, not a guy fans want gone (I'm talking about the Raptors not Wittman).

For the wizards to win in the next round Wall and Beal have to efficiently score 20+ppg on the same night, for 4 or five games of the series. I don't think they've ever done that but we'd need them to be huge to really have a chance.

The Raptors beat us in the regular season, but the games where close. We were not competitive against Atlanta at all. Toronto also doesn't move the ball nearly as well and they play a collective team defense. They haven't looked their best against Brooklyn, but I don't have a good feeling playing them next round. I don't think we'll be embarrassed, but I don't think we will win either. Would be thrilled to be wrong on this one.

Otto Porter and Pierce make this different. Porter plays ridiculous D and Pierce is clutch. The team didn't have that last year.

• Like 1

The Raptors beat us in the regular season, but the games where close. We were not competitive against Atlanta at all. Toronto also doesn't move the ball nearly as well and they play a collective team defense. They haven't looked their best against Brooklyn, but I don't have a good feeling playing them next round. I don't think we'll be embarrassed, but I don't think we will win either. Would be thrilled to be wrong on this one.

Well we beat ATL once (though they rested many of their players, so it's fair to disregard that one), but of our 3 losses to ATL, only one wasn't competitive, and even in that game, we cut a huge lead down to 2 at one point, only for them to build the lead back up. And that (along with our 3rd loss to them) was during the part of the season when the Hawks were nearly unbeatable. They have cooled off since then: even before they started resting their players, they were only somewhat above .500 down the stretch. Our first loss to ATL was before they went on that huge hot streak, but they were still good, and it went right down to the wire.

ATL is indeed better than Toronto, but I think we can beat them in their current state. We need to hit FTs and cut down on the TOs, though.