Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The Raptors, Wolves, and Bobcats haven't had anywhere near the success that the other recent expansion teams have.  The Pelicans won four playoff series in their 14 years in Charlotte and another one in New Orleans.  The Magic won five series in their first seven seasons, 11 overall, and have been to the Finals twice.  And the Grizzlies, who probably had the worst start, have won three series and been to the conference finals.

It's not like each of the expansion teams haven't had talent either.  The Bobcats haven't gotten a franchise player yet, but when the original Hornets were there, they had LJ and Zo.  Kind of squandered that.  Memphis has had the Gasol brothers.  Orlando has had Shaq, Penny Hardaway, and Dwight.  New Orleans has enjoyed CP3 and now has Anthony Davis.  Minnesota had KG and Kevin Love.  And Toronto had TMac and Vince Carter.

That's probably more talent than we've had up until we lucked into Wall.  The trouble is, most of those expansion teams squandered the golden geese they got in draft lotteries.

Chris Bosh too, forgot about him.

Hell Damon Stoudemire won ROTY in their first season too.  Toronto has had talent, they just haven't been able to keep it or build anything long term around it.

His salary is what will eventually price us out. Honestly, seraphin is probably our second best player in the iso. He is maybe the only person other than wall, and sometimes nene that can consistently get his own shot. That's a useful skill to have on any team, and especially one that lacks playmakers like us. He certainly gets tunnel vision. There's no debating that. But for whatever reason, no matter the size of the defender, he gets his hook off and on target just about every single time. He's the least of our worries. Witt and eg will both be back, and we just might struggle for 47 wins again as we watch them collectively bungle draft picks and rotations.

I mean how obvious is it right now that Otto belongs in this league? Dude should have been playing good minutes all year.

Just cause he has a pretty hookshot doesn't mean he is a good NBA player. I fell in love with those aesthetics 3 seasons ago as well. He hasn't improved significantly enough to make him an average NBA player. There is no evidence backing him up as a good NBA player, let alone average...so I'm not sure why anyone is still defending him...

Making a ****ty hookshot does not absolve him from being turnover prone, from not drawing fouls, from fouling too much, from not rebounding and an inability to guard quicker players. 

He's a dumb player who has some pretty moves. That is the reality. Maybe he'd get better with a better developmental staff and coaching, but so long as EG brainwashes Ted no reason to bank on that either. 

For Seraphin's sake I hope he has a good playoff so some other dumb FO overpays him. 

Edited by nuposse87

Cowherd is stupid and irrelevant to anyone of actual taste.  Or anyone that actually follows the NBA.  The aging white audience he's dog whistling to couldn't know or care less about the NBA.

He's low hanging fruit for fun Deadspin articles.  And at this point, Cowherd is just leaching of John's stardom to get clicks.  

• Like 2

Just cause he has a pretty hookshot doesn't mean he is a good NBA player. I fell in love with those aesthetics 3 seasons ago as well. He hasn't improved significantly enough to make him an average NBA player. There is no evidence backing him up as a good NBA player, let alone average...so I'm not sure why anyone is still defending him...

Making a ****ty hookshot does not absolve him from being turnover prone, from not drawing fouls, from fouling too much, from not rebounding and an inability to guard quicker players. 

Well... first off, i was addressing the fact that you had hoped he would blow out his knee. Thats bush league, and you know it.

But regarding your other critques, yes he IS an NBA player. Additionally, the hookshot is about the most unblockable shot in the game. There is a reason almost no one does it. Its an extremely high difficulty shot to learn and master. Yet here we have a guy who has shown to be the best hook shot taker in the league, and has proven that he can get it off against anyone. Thats an impressive ability. Hey, not everyone is a star. But your role players usually have to be able to do some things well. Seraphin has proven to be a good source of offense, if all else fails, and his hook shot is elite. Im willing to bet a better coach could get even more out of him.

Also... 3 million for any big man is laughable, let alone a young big man. Booker got a huge contract this past offseason, and Seraphin is better than he is. Can he be a black hole at times? Absolutely. But i think that is due to the nature of Witman's young player development skills.

Edited by Skin'emAlive
  • Like 1

Well... first off, i was addressing the fact that you had hoped he would blow out his knee. Thats bush league, and you know it.

But regarding your other critques, yes he IS an NBA player. Additionally, the hookshot is about the most unblockable shot in the game. There is a reason almost no one does it. Its an extremely high difficulty shot to learn and master. Yet here we have a guy who has shown to be the best hook shot taker in the league, and has proven that he can get it off against anyone. Thats an impressive ability. Hey, not everyone is a star. But your role players usually have to be able to do some things well. Seraphin has proven to be a good source of offense, if all else fails, and his hook shot is elite. Im willing to bet a better coach could get even more out of him.

Also... 3 million for any big man is laughable, let alone a young big man. Booker got a huge contract this past offseason, and Seraphin is better than he is. Can he be a black hole at times? Absolutely. But i think that is due to the nature of Witman's young player development skills.

It was a crude thing to bring up, but the only alternative to Seraphin leaving is someone offering him 8mil plus, which I can't imagine a smart GM doing. 

As to your evaluation of him, I think you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. He's on an NBA roster because an incompetent coach plays him and an incompetent GM hasn't tried to get rid of him yet. Just because it is a hard shot to master doesn't mean ****. He completely folds under pressure, can't pass consistently out of double teams, and when he does the shot clock is already ticking down to oblivion and he still travels way too often. Dude hasn't met a shot he ever not liked. 

A "good" source of offense doesn't drag the rest of the team down. He is Andray Blatche sans the hookers but with less defensive liability relative too good ole blatche. 

Booker did't get a huge contract, he got a reasonable one at 5 mil a year. He also has a better WS/48 then Seraphin, better PER, and better oRTG/dRTG diff then Seraphin. Probably a better VORP too, haven't checked that one. Seraphin is a better shooter as indicative of his TS, but that doesn't really matter much when you take into account the rest of his game is well below average. Not to mention Booker has 3 pt range now too and isn't a liability on the boards. Booker has his own faults, but they are not nearly as vulgar as Seraphins. 

This is just a case of us Wiz fans wanting us to finally develop a young big with "potential" except this big isn't 20/21. Seraphin is 25. He's not going to make any leaps anymore, at least most bigs in the modern NBA don't make massive leaps in productivity after they've spent this much time in it and have plateaued off in productivity. He isn't a finished product per se, I expect incremental improvements, but not ones that justify us settling on him as our "young" big of the future. The reality is he is a bad player. No matter how many crappy subjective observations you make regarding him doesn't absolve him of his own inabilities. 

Edited by nuposse87

Is it even dog whistling at this point?

I actually think Cowherd is a legitimate racist.

Hey he criticized Jimmer Fredette too! So the fact that he nailed it that john wall is one of those lazy, good for nothing ones that spends his time bojangling around and grew up without a father has nothing to do with race.

Cowherd is just dumb.

He said 2 things that really ticked me off as a Washington sports fan. 1: "John Wall has never won a playoff series."

2: "Desean Jackson did nothing after he left the Eagles."

Did everyone forget the Wiz making the 2nd round last year? Desean Jackson was the only bright spot on the Skins and single handedly won thw game knoxking philly out last season...

• Like 1

It was a crude thing to bring up, but the only alternative to Seraphin leaving is someone offering him 8mil plus, which I can't imagine a smart GM doing. 

As to your evaluation of him, I think you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. He's on an NBA roster because an incompetent coach plays him and an incompetent GM hasn't tried to get rid of him yet. Just because it is a hard shot to master doesn't mean ****. He completely folds under pressure, can't pass consistently out of double teams, and when he does the shot clock is already ticking down to oblivion and he still travels way too often. Dude hasn't met a shot he ever not liked.

Nah bruh. Wishing for an injury to anyone, let alone a player on our team is something no one cares for. Its not something to bring up ever.

I listed a clear skill that Kevin has. Its one that many many teams in the NBA look to add to their roster. If he isnt resigned, i wont lose sleep. We can bring someone else in. The success of this team is through Wall, Beal, and Gortat anyways. But that doesnt change his value.

As to your opinion of my evaluation: Thats ok. Thats your opinion. I look forward to seeing more of your great opinions of players on this team when you check in to this thread during next years playoffs.

Nah bruh. Wishing for an injury to anyone, let alone a player on our team is something no one cares for. Its not something to bring up ever.

I listed a clear skill that Kevin has. Its one that many many teams in the NBA look to add to their roster. If he isnt resigned, i wont lose sleep. We can bring someone else in. The success of this team is through Wall, Beal, and Gortat anyways. But that doesnt change his value.

As to your opinion of my evaluation: Thats ok. Thats your opinion. I look forward to seeing more of your great opinions of players on this team when you check in to this thread during next years playoffs.

No one is denying he is good at hook shots. What you fail to see, is how below average is he elsewhere. That is represented by FACTS not opinions. He wouldn't have such inefficient productivity and net rating as a bad player if he was even average. You don't seem to acknowledge that reality like you can't read a stats page or something, possibly ignoring reality. W/e floats your boat I guess. Some of us aren't homers when it comes to inadequacies of our players. 

He, like the rest of the team looked good for the first 30 or so games, then crashed back down to earth when we started playing decent games. I realize stats aren't the only way to judge a player, but they are they only objective way to get a read. And when you watch Seraphin as much as any other wizards fan, you realize there is no context needed, he is just a bad player that brings down his team. Perhaps you could argue the 2nd unit doesn't befit him, and he needs to play with a stretch 4 as well...but he's going against other teams backups, if he was worth a damn, the 2nd unit argument shouldn't matter.

I really wanted him to improve, but he hasn't. That is the reality. 

Now if he pulls a Jerome James and plays well in the playoffs (productivity wise he did put up some numbers in game 1, but I think we were -6 while he was on the floor), I don't mind him earning his contract year dollars elsewhere. Just not here, cause I don't see it translating into long term production, plus no reason what so ever in putting long term money in a backup center when we have gortat. Now if Seraphin magically developed 3 pt range (which I think he can actually cause he's a decent shooter from 16ft-3pt line) he might have value as a stretch big. But we know Randy won't ever encourage offensive creativity. 

Perhaps discussing our back up center's future contract on the day of the Wizards playoff game is a sign of a healthy, confident fan base.  

Well, for game 2:

-More Piece at the 4

-Actually play hump to clean the defensive glass and (hopefully) contain Amir Johnson

-Wall must attack when the floor is spaced, lots of settling in game 1

-Beal needs to hit open 3s, I can live with mid range bricks, thats expected...not open 3s

-Gortat must roll harder to the rim and not be so quick to pass it off for Gooden long 2s. 

-Porter needs to take more shots, try to beat Lou/Demar on back door cuts. As well as Lowry, they aren't good defenders, punish them with their inattentiveness. 

-More of the same with Nene reguarding rebounding. Play him mostly as a bench 5 to stabilize the 2nd unit's defense. 

-Sessions...honestly everything he did I thought was fine. 

The raptors will shoot better, so...I do expect it to be high scoring. We can possibly win if we force Demar into 20+ shots cause that guy is a brick house. Patrick Patterson will continue to burn us probably. Amir Johnsons probably wont drop 18 again, but I expect Val will come to play. Not sure what to make of T. Ross. He played good D on Wall and Beal but I think it burns him on the offensive end utilizing all that energy. 

I think we lose if James Johnson is actually used to stop Pierce, I'm just hoping Casey isn't smart enough to realize that :/

My thoughts for tonight: Wall and Beal will have to be big time tonight if the wizards are to win. Lots of point and a good fg%, which for them is a rarity to occur on the same night. If they click on offense we have a chance, if they don't the Raptors will win easily.

Johnson can't really guard Pierce.

"stop" may be too absolute a word, but he'd definitely limit him. He was a monster perimeter defender in memphis last season and probably the best defender TOR has. What he would take away is the Pierce bail out 3 as the shot clock expires. He's an excellent athlete and get good contests on shooters and outright blocks people too. Pierce might be able to coax him into some cheap fouls but we'd need a lot more from Beal and Wall if Johnson played. I don't know how he does on off the ball action, at least not this season. Offensively, he's efficient from everywhere not the perimeter, which is alright since we clog the paint pretty well. 

Yeah Humphries didn't get minute 1 in Game 1, did he?  And I hope Amir Johnson doesn't go off on us again like that.  And long as we shoot better and play the same intense D it shoud be a good game.

FYI - tv related.  Locally the game is on CSN+ if you can find it.  The game is on NBAtv in Canada so the Raptors fans can actually see their team play tonight, unlike game 1.

My thoughts for tonight: Wall and Beal will have to be big time tonight if the wizards are to win. Lots of point and a good fg%, which for them is a rarity to occur on the same night. If they click on offense we have a chance, if they don't the Raptors will win easily.

I suspect Toronto will go extra heavy on speed and long range shooting. DEFENSE!!

Surprised Toronto is favored by 5 points for game 2.  Just cuz they're home?  Tempted.

Desperation probably. That and believe some regression to their RS offensive efficiency. Although, so long as we trap, and run em off the 3 pt line we ought to be fine. Just gotta bait Demar into taking lots of stupid mid range shots. 

I think Lowry comes up big today too. Hopefully Wall counters, should be attacking Val every time he can.