Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Not much of an advantage either way since both teams are pretty healthy. Maybe the home team does but we also have a lot of time to get acclimatedacclimated.

Watching Lowry foul out, that cheap shot looks worse on review. Lowry is a punk. He definitely punked out of that game and I would be pissed at him if I were his teammate. The way he walked off immediately after he pulled that mess, he knew exactly what he was doing. He quit on his team.

I'm hesitant to say it, but I think I've changed my mind about Seraphin.  I think we have to bring Seraphin back this summer.  Consider these factors:

1.) Kevin Durant recently said he wants to spend his entire career playing for one team.  To me that's shutting the door on the talk of leaving OKC.

2.) Even if he were willing to sign here, Durant's injury is exactly the kind of thing that's just begging Les Boulez to strike.

So compromising our team's long term quality for the chance of signing Durant next summer is dangerous.

Also consider these factors:

1.) This summer is the last year a team will be able to get big men at a future discount because of scheduled cap increase.  A 5-8 million dollar contract today is between 8 and almost 13% of your cap space.  But 5-8 million in the summer of '16 is only between 5 and 9 % of your cap.  And in '17, it'll only be between 4-7 % of the cap.  That means if you lock Seraphin up at those numbers today, he becomes a big bargain in the middle of the contract.

I've looked at the big man class in 2016 and I'm really uncomfortable with the thought of having to get into a bidding war with all of the other teams that are replete with cash over some of the good back up caliber bigs likely to be available.  Spending 12-13 million to get a Jordan Hill or a Meyers Leonard then is a lot worse than spending 5-8 million to keep Seraphin today.

2.) Seraphin is a home grown big of quality--the kind of player we always complain about never having.  It would be a shame to spend five years developing the kid from scratch into a useful rotation player, and then have him go spend the best years of his career somewhere else.

3.) Seraphin is a goon and his physical inside scoring ability plus the excellent jumper are very valuable to us despite his defensive and rebounding issues.  If we keep him, then we've got our starting and back up Cs set for the near future (and at discount prices), which is a good place to be for when our back court starts to emerge as a star caliber tandem.

And I do think he's still got good upside left--room to grow as a passer and defender.  I see him make the right passes every now and then, like that slick feed to a cutting Gooden yesterday when he was posted up and drew the second defender.  And he does play good defense for stretches.  It's a matter of consistency and getting to the point where those things are automatic.

So I think you sign Seraphin this summer and then see where we are with Durant next summer.  Durant is the one in the driver's seat.  If he wants to come here, then he will let us know and we can work out a S&T or trade Seraphin to make cap room.

I don't think I like the idea of Seraphin being a lynch-pin in regards to any of our future free agent signings, let alone KD. I also don't like paying him money if Wittman is still the coach. Its a virtual guarantee that he spends 2-3 weeks of time in a doghouse only to be let out for mop up duties.

Never thought I would see a post that long that revolves around Kevin Seraphin.

Your passion might be unmatched out here SM

I don't think I like the idea of Seraphin being a lynch-pin in regards to any of our future free agent signings, let alone KD. I also don't like paying him money if Wittman is still the coach. Its a virtual guarantee that he spends 2-3 weeks of time in a doghouse only to be let out for mop up duties.

Never thought I would see a post that long that revolves around Kevin Seraphin.

Your passion might be unmatched out here SM

KD is the only max level signing we should pursue.  Or Kevin Love too if he doesn't sign a long term extension with Cleveland.  A Seraphin extension wouldn't get in the way of signing a sub-max FA next summer.

Honestly, I think Durant and Love stay where they are.

Wittman makes me worry for all of our young players except Wall.  But I do give credit to Wittman for going with Seraphin over Blair at back up C this year.  That was essential for Seraphin to improve and demonstrate his value to the team.  Without this season, Seraphin is still a complete mystery who you have to let walk because of his lack of production.  Now we actually know what kind of player he is and I think he's proven he's a solid back up C.

I'm hoping Wittman gives Otto a similar chance next year and Otto makes significant strides.

And yes, I've resigned myself to the fact that Wittman will be back next season.

Seraphin is a bad player. Putting long term money in him is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Dude doesn't deserve more then then 3 mil given how much of a black hole he still is. His inability to rebound is also detestable as a center. He is 25, isn't like he is raw anymore, he probably isn't going to get much better. People don't just become better rebounders. You got to want that. He doesn't have "it."

If you're gonna throw 5-8 mil around because the Durant dream may be dead, then sign Ed Davis. He's actually a good player. Something Seraphin hasn't shown any modicum of consistency. 

Extending him would be a typical EG move. Truthfully we avoid it if he blows out his knee from now and FA...which has me having a moral crisis....

Gortat needs to play down low like a man. Say what you will about Nene and his health but he goes up looking to flush, not to pull a Vlade Divac.

Either way, that was a great win. I'd like to see Pierce get more of the late game shots though. Wall in iso is not smart if he is not going to attack the rim. His jumper is not good enough to waste a potential game-winning possession with an iso play. He's too fast to just settle for a fall away. Run a play to get Pierce or Beal the ball.

I think we should let Seraphin walk. Humphries can easily take his minutes, as will the young stretch C/PF that we desperately need to draft with either one or both draft picks. I guess EG will probably also bring in a cheap vet so Wittman will let our draft picks get pine splinters.

Sure, KS13 is a solid backup - I guess, but he ain't the long term starter which is what the Wiz need to find.

#TeamEdDavis

Hell I'd rather have Birch on the minimum next season then Seraphin. Unless Seraphin develops 3 pt range, he isn't going to be a net positive player. He isn't a good enough defender and a liability on the boards. 

More importantly we need a young stretch big moving forward. Either Portis or Looney in the draft would suffice. But we can't have Randy coach em, he'll just tell em to take long 2s. 

I told myself I wouldn't watch this and I didn't care but I was just channel surfing yesterday afternoon and happened to find this game on and it was 15 pt lead and I Was like it's over and then I switched to the Nats game but kept switching back

Good to see they actually beat Toronto for once and wish them good luck in series

PS I wish we could have a big crowd like that outside, they kept switching to the outside crowd and it was like Huge lol. We need a block party down in DC for that ****

Wait, people are here saying they hope Seraphin blows his knee out so we dont resign him? Get out. We dont need that here.

Seraphin is a good dude. Hes got legit skills and progresses every year. If the option is to sign ed freaking davis to a muli-year contract, or draft another center, im choosing Kevin ( depends on the contract). Nene is the guy that needs replaced. We need a stretch 4, not a stretch 5. While Nene is still extremely serviceable, having a big that can hit an outside shot would help John and this offense so much.

• Like 2

I'm hesitant to say it, but I think I've changed my mind about Seraphin.  I think we have to bring Seraphin back this summer.  Consider these factors:

1.) Kevin Durant recently said he wants to spend his entire career playing for one team.  To me that's shutting the door on the talk of leaving OKC.

KD has said this all along but if you really look at what he's saying there's a lot of nuance in his statement.

He isn't saying he's definitely staying in OKC.

He's saying "in a perfect world"' he'd like to.

There's a difference.

As I said, he's been saying that for months.

Wait, people are here saying they hope Seraphin blows his knee out so we dont resign him? Get out. We dont need that here.

Seraphin is a good dude. Hes got legit skills and progresses every year. If the option is to sign ed freaking davis to a muli-year contract, or draft another center, im choosing Kevin ( depends on the contract). Nene is the guy that needs replaced. We need a stretch 4, not a stretch 5. While Nene is still extremely serviceable, having a big that can hit an outside shot would help John and this offense so much.

I didn't say I'd want it to occur, its the only factor I can think of that would keep us from retaining him. Cause I don't think there are many other dumb enough GMs that want to sign him on a high price (hoping otherwise tho!)

Seraphin averaged 15-8-1.7blocks per 36 on a TS of .535 and a per of 12.5, and lastly a WS/48 of 0.066. 

Ed Davis averaged  13-12-1.9 blocks per 36 on a TS of .594 and a per of 20.0. WS/48 of .164. 

Ed davis also did all of that on a larger sample size as well, and is only a couple months older then Seraphin. And Davis played on the friggin Lakers. 

So yah, anyone who'd actually prefer Seraphin doesn't know good basketball. I pray some stupid GM will take him away from us. He's an awful piece of crap that hasn't made any meaningful progress that translates into winning basketball. However we get rid of him, I don't care, just get rid of him. 

His salary is what will eventually price us out. Honestly, seraphin is probably our second best player in the iso. He is maybe the only person other than wall, and sometimes nene that can consistently get his own shot. That's a useful skill to have on any team, and especially one that lacks playmakers like us. He certainly gets tunnel vision. There's no debating that. But for whatever reason, no matter the size of the defender, he gets his hook off and on target just about every single time. He's the least of our worries. Witt and eg will both be back, and we just might struggle for 47 wins again as we watch them collectively bungle draft picks and rotations.

I mean how obvious is it right now that Otto belongs in this league? Dude should have been playing good minutes all year.

Honestly, seraphin is probably our second best player in the iso. He is maybe the only person other than wall, and sometimes nene that can consistently get his own shot. That's a useful skill to have on any team, and especially one that lacks playmakers like us. 

This can't be emphasized enough.

Seraphin isn't a starter but he's not bad and as others have said, he can score unassisted which may not make for the best numbers at times but it's a valuable skill. It will come down to money, he's got to be paid like a back up and he's not the first guy off the bench. He's likely to sign somewhere else.

The hatred directed at Seraphin made sense last year. This year it doesn't. He's improved every area of his game and despite being the 9th or 10th player off the bench, he's kept us in a few games this year.

• Like 2

Kelly Olynyk just made a play that should be a staple in our offense. He faked the perimeter dribble handoff ( something we do atleast 33% of the time. and even more so, probably the greatest cause of our offensive turnovers) and rolled to the basket for an easy dunk. Nene can easily do this, and it should be implemented in our offense. Ive always liked Olynyk.

Edited by Skin'emAlive
  • Like 1

Gotta love a game 1 playoff victory on the road. Pierce ballin' and Nene with little a 12-13. Once we went to OT with a disqualified Lowry I knew the W was in the bag.

If we play the same D tomorrow night and shoot better (how could we not), this series will be looking schweet.